As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    altman, did you see www.wired.com 's Holga photo contest? There's some cool shots

http://www.wired.com/culture/art/multimedia/2008/02/gallery_holga_top_10

http://www.wired.com/culture/art/news/2008/02/holga_submissions

Maybe some inspiration/ideas in there for you. Holga shots are always fascinating to me, cool cameras

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    From the Joystiq comments: "You never EVER leave a woman that would make you a tetris afghan, that is in the bible I think."

And it's true!

MKR on
  • Options
    biiirdmaaan!biiirdmaaan! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know I'm no mod and this may have come up in the past, but could it be worth splitting this into two threads, one for snapshots and the other for more artsy photography?

It would preserve the more casual atmosphere of PHOTO THREADs long past while letting those who want to grow as photographers their own place. No confusion, no overlap, and no need for at least one debate in every PHOTO THREAD where a mod needs to come in and tell everyone that snaps are OK.

biiirdmaaan! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I know I'm no mod and this may have come up in the past, but could it be worth splitting this into two threads, one for snapshots and the other for more artsy photography?

It would preserve the more casual atmosphere of PHOTO THREADs long past while letting those who want to grow as photographers their own place. No confusion, no overlap, and no need for at least one debate in every PHOTO THREAD where a mod needs to come in and tell everyone that snaps are OK.

I don't think there's anything stopping a person looking for growth from making a thread. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    While I favor any and all attempts by photographers here to improve their skills, I believe this debate occurred ni the previous incarnation of this thread, and the final word was had by a mod (grifter, I think?) who pointed out that he created the first photo thread merely for a casual place where people could post snaps. So I don't think it should be mandatory that every picture here try to be either art of highly-skilled craft.

On the other hand, I would encourage everyone who posts here to think about the overall quality of what their posting and keep an open mind towards improving your skills.

Also, when 90% of the pictures in here are being posted by people who are pushing themselves to improve their art/craft skills I would speculate that pictures that are created in a less serious vein will probably be met with some harsh responses. That just seems predictable. So yeah ... it's not in the rules from what I recall, but it's in the culture. And it's a good mentality from which to approach everything we create - why not try to make it excellent instead of blah?

I don't recall that kind of precedent being set - if it were I would have just made a new thread a while ago instead of being worried that this one was losing its value as I (and others) saw it. Separate threads seem like a good idea to me, though I'm pretty unsure whether or not it would be met with an immediate locking.

Grifter, I'm not trying to play 'backseat mod' or anything - it's just it seems to be apparent that different people have different ideas about what the photo thread is about and I think it would be appropriate to consider the two things individually, maybe attempt to appease everybody.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I don't recall that kind of precedent being set...

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2705110#post2705110
    Grifter wrote:
    Whoa whoa whoa....

This thread was originally started back in 2003 just so that people could post images of themselves in silly situations. By no means is there a rule where you have to try to post artistic photos in this thread.

There are some really good photographers that post in here. I've loved some of the stuff that is displayed. However, that does not mean that you can't post some casual shots in this thread. We need to cut loose a little and relax. Art isn't supposed to be that serious all the time. I posted my shorts and birthday pictures because I was around for when the thread was nothing but casual. I love the photos that are being posted these days but I don't want anyone to feel that they can't post a casual shot of themselves having fun because photography is serious business.

It's a couple photo-threads back (called " The [PHOTO THREAD] is too hot to keep one name!" currently).

My $0.02 on splitting into casual and an artistic photo threads is that that's too divisive. I don't think there is so much traffic in this one thread that the casual pics are impeding the visibility of the more "serious" pictures. I think when I was a novice it helped that I was posting (and I was "was" because my [URL="ttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/erisianpope/box-3.jpg"]first pictures[/URL] were SO DAMN amateurish that it was kinda amazing) in the same thread as other much more skillful photogs. I readily saw the difference in quality of work on their part versus mine, and it inspired and drove me to improve myself. Splitting the thread would squash that effect.

Also art is subjective Blah blah blah) so someone might post in the "serious" photography thread and have the regulars of that thread tell them they shouldn't be posting there when they (the new poster) see their pic as art and deserving to be there.

So, all in all, I think this is not a great strategy.

Again, just my opinion.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why is it such a big deal to keep things separate? I mean, if you take your ideas to an extreme, no talking, no chatting, just post pics, crits, and equipment questions. I post/read here cause it's relaxed, you learn a lot, develop as a photographer, there's a great knowledge base, and we can make fun of Sheri's crotched peni, or whatever the plural is (people have a sense of humor). It's not like were constantly in danger of getting swamped by pictures of "my friends hanging out at this awesome party" or "my dog looking cute", so I don't think there's anything to make a big deal about...one of the rules in the art forum is to have fun, so lets be serious about making good art and photographs, but not be intimidating to new people, and know how to goof off, I can't see anyone not enjoying a community like that

oh, and here's a picture...it's old, but I recently "found it" in a musty folder, and I really like it
    snowslide.jpg
    Edit: BTW, taken on a 35mm point and shoot POS that I got at Wally world for $5

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I realy love that photo CP. It looks like it belongs in an old, faded National Geographic.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't have to be taken to the extreme. Think about where you are, I don't think anything can be overly serious for very long here. There could be a thread for people who are looking to have their work criticised, and a thread for people who aren't. They can both be fun, but you're more likely to learn something in the former.
    That being said, I really don't think that's really necessary. It could easily work, but I don't think it needs to happen.

Also, I like that picture. I've speant a lot of time looking through really old National Geograpics looking at all the pictures, and it reminds me of that. It looks old and dirty, but everything is in place. Nice work.

Edit: Fuck. I was typing. Though I guess I'm not the only one to think that way.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just to put in my $.02 I don't see any reason why it would be necessary to split this into more than one thread, it moves along at a good enough pace and there is rarely any danger of it getting swamped with tons of snapshots. I see it as a combination photography chat thread, doodle thread, and serious business. There's no reason it needs to be exclusive to a single type of photography. I am in complete agreement with Saint however that the ultimate intention is for critique and improvement much like the doodle thread, however, there is still room for fun like Photoshop Hero flares or Crochet Penii with Tophats. (they should have tophats btw) For those of us where our aim is for improvement and critique we can act accordingly and still provide constructive criticism to any photos that are posted but content should not be restricted for the sake of maintaining a single photography mindset.

I have an intense desire to post one of the "This is serious cat" photos.

Veritas on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to side with the folks that said each individual photograph should get its own thread.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to side with the folks that said each individual photograph should get its own thread.

This is the direction I was leaning in. If a person feels they can't get what they're looking for here, they could make a thread just like they might for any other piece of art.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that's a bit far. A single photo isn't so much a developing work of art as an illustration can be. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of liberty that can be taken, digital or film, it's just a single piece of illustrated work can go through pages of re-designs and development. I think an individual thread for a single photo would end pretty abruptly after two or three edits, and even that's a bit much.

Also Pope you kind of took me out of context there. I wasn't arguing against the purpose of THIS photo thread, I was just kind of explaining myself a bit.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also Pope you kind of took me out of context there. I wasn't arguing against the purpose of THIS photo thread, I was just kind of explaining myself a bit.

Crap - my bad. <3

erisian pope on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm gonna post a photo and no one is going to comment on it.

Ready?

Go!

IMG_0774b1.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like your boobs.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    THAT IS NOT A COMMENT ON THE PHOTO I AM STILL RIGHT

Sheri on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dammit. I tried. So hard.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sheri wrote: »

Ready?

Go!

IMG_0774b1.jpg

THIS MILKMAN PEDDLES DEATH!

MKR on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm really not sure how to take these types of outdoor photos:
    Really, I didn't have much in the way of great subjects, but it feels like there is something I'm missing. Crit me.

2299467552_c5e74677b3.jpg

2298672513_80366b6d1a.jpg

More and bigger here:
    http://flickr.com/photos/90465672@N00/sets/72157603651315298/

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm sorry, Sushi, those are just. . . really boring. There's no interesting element in the shot, and the composition isn't interesting, either. :\

EDIT: This one, however, has some nice DOF going on. Why didn't you post this one?

2299467180_ee48682fbc.jpg

Sheri on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EDIT DOG PIC JOKE: Fuck it you guys post too fast

MEADONE on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I agree that they are really just not that interesting. I just feel like there's something I could've done to make them interesting.

Not sure why I didn't post that one. I think because the colors didn't come out quite like I wanted them to.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those are really boring subjects. You might be able to make the photos interesting by taking pictures of the dull subjects with really dramatic lighting - something midday sun is terrible for, unfortunately. The best photographic opportunities are at dawn, dusk and/or immediately before/during/after interesting weather.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm a bit concerned that you don't see how this photo
    2299467180_ee48682fbc.jpg

is so much better than this photo
    2298672513_80366b6d1a.jpg

No, the colors don't pop, but it at least has SOME sense of composition. Heck, maybe a faded, un-saturated post processing would help out the first one even more.

What I'm saying is, the first has potential and the second doesn't, and the fact that you 1) edited them both equally and 2) posted the second over the first, it kind of concerns me.

Sheri on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »

This is the direction I was leaning in. If a person feels they can't get what they're looking for here, they could make a thread just like they might for any other piece of art.
    Uhhh... I was kidding. One photo per thread would be total overkill. The thread is fine as it is, people just need to get better at critiquing and being critiqued, as well as taking photos. I realize I'm a hypocrite in that I never really have time to take photos or post here.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think when I was a novice it helped that I was posting (and I was "was" because my [URL="ttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/erisianpope/box-3.jpg"]first pictures[/URL] were SO DAMN amateurish that it was kinda amazing) in the same thread as other much more skillful photogs.

Holy....holy shit. Those are terrible. D:

But I <3 your new stuff, so you've come a long way. :D

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Uhhh... I was kidding. One photo per thread would be total overkill. The thread is fine as it is, people just need to get better at critiquing and being critiqued, as well as taking photos. I realize I'm a hypocrite in that I never really have time to take photos or post here.

I never said one photo per thread. I was thinking photo projects where there might be large numbers of photos.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Guys I was kidding about not commenting on my photo

It was sarcasm

Sheri on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or you could create the "Photo Chat" thread for dogs and tom foollery (people like me), and the "photo thread" for "arteests" (Ie: people who arn't me. :) )

and this

loneliness_by_leon5080.jpg

I like this! I presume it's flickr's bullshit with the pixels? The original isn't like that?

altmann wrote: »

And der train tracken! I need to start train shooting. (Training? I like bird shooting is birding?)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

dof

a rock or something

No, the colors don't pop, but it at least has SOME sense of composition. Heck, maybe a faded, un-saturated post processing would help out the first one even more.

What I'm saying is, the first has potential and the second doesn't, and the fact that you 1) edited them both equally and 2) posted the second over the first, it kind of concerns me.

I never meant to imply that I didn't think the first is superior to the second, rather, I think that I was too concentrated on imagining what I wanted the photo to look like rather than what it actually did.

Never mind that. I'll be back later with some more interesting film shots.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

dof

a rock or something

I never meant to imply that I didn't think the first is superior to the second, rather, I think that I was too concentrated on imagining what I wanted the photo to look like rather than what it actually did.

Never mind that. I'll be back later with some more interesting film shots.

No, that's fine, I understand. I do that a lot, I'll take a photo and it won't be looking like I want and I don't realize that I'm just looking at it the wrong way.

But still, you posted one over the other -- that's the point I'm trying to make, I suppose.

Conclusion: The moss photo ain't half bad. :P

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Anable, did you post that pano of the streetlights yet and I missed it? Or is it on your flickr but not on the thread? Because I like it lots. Throw it up here.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've thrown aspect ratios to the wind!

2299632868_23c3a95d72_o.jpg

2299632982_290580e7a4_o.jpg

2299632940_cc02af624b_o.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Second is probably my favorite shot of yours. You need to save it as a higher resolution and upload it though, either flickr killed it or you didn't save it too high. Third has a very nifty sky. 1st is solid, not too dark or too light, but not terribly interesting to me.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My Lightroom defaults set maximum width to 1000px. But I can upload a bigger one if you want Saint. Just for you. <3

Unless you mean how it looks when going through my photostream. Flickr sets maximum width to 500px so I can't really do anything about that.

anable on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Photo thread is serious business.

Forks.
    forks.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That is good Salti. I like that a whole lot. Just enough different colors of forks to make it look vibrant and colorful, and not too many as to go overboard.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    Photo thread is serious business.

Forks.
    forks.jpg

I love this

I love it

<3

Also I'm just going to say this here. If I keep getting zero comments on my photos, I'm just going to go back to hardly posting any, like I did a few months ago. I know this isn't really a punishment to anyone (heck you'd all probably be better off), but it is really goddamn frustrating to post a photo and get ZILCH back. If it sucks, then just tell me so. If it's great, tell me that too. I try to post crits for you guys, it'd be nice if someone would do the same for me (and probably other people who are thinking the same thing. Or maybe it's just me).

I feel a bit better now.

Sheri on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Ready?

Go!

IMG_0774b1.jpg
    Thanks for loving my photo, Sheri. Since you demand a comment I will do so.

You've got too much going on in this image. It's a cool looking sign and restaurant that could make a nice shot by itself but you've got a bunch of other things going on that don't work. You've made it into 'old ice cold' which I'm assuming was intentional and it's funny but it competes with the cleanliness of the rest of the scene. There's also a big palm tree trunk right behind the sign that is very distracting. Considering all of that though, it would be a much more interesting shot if you showed the two people really interacting. If the server was handing the guy some ice cream or talking to him or anything, there would be a story there but as it stands now we just have the backs of two people who do not really have any relationship with each other. So it's like this photo is bordering on documentary (the people and the place) but not really getting there and also bordering on editorial (what the place is like) but not really getting there either.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
This discussion has been closed.