As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    great capture of texture in that one Saint :^:

Prospicience on
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Indeed, nice to see a nice wide DOF
    downa.jpg

JAmp5 on
  • Options
    in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Saint wrote:
    Interesting that you would get that impression. A lot of my stuff I heavily alter and put into somewhat abstract comic compositions, for a little project a friend of mine and I have been working on. Though for some portions I stick with the typical horizontal three panel style, I guess the visual appeal is kind of spilling over to my 'normal' stuff.

That sounds like a pretty interesting project you have going there. Does it have a running story/theme?

Also, I think that it makes sense for that kind of thing to rub off on your "normal" stuff. I don't know too much about photography other than it is an artform but, it seems to me like it would be easy to fall into a "style" like that.

@Jamp: I really love that soft light on the celing in that photo. It's a great contrast to the textures that are everywhere else :)

in_absentia on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, it has no running theme. It's kind opaque at the moment, and is kind of us experimenting with his writing and my photography, though not in some sort of three paneled typical setup, we're trying to get it to the point where the very composition (some of my stuff gets pretty chopped up) is conducive to the storytelling, and vice versa. I'll probably eventually post some of it here when I'm happy enough with it. Plus the whole thing really helps develop some new Photoshop skills depending on what we want to do.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2235846862_822a636d97.jpg

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I like it, but the sunglasses need to go.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The glasses stay.

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But they're so "I know Kung Fu."

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr. Fahrenheit happens to be a Kung Fu Master, kthx.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some more shots today:

2235428455_35a7a08f59.jpg

2236215612_73032f3959.jpg

2236213854_ed5473e5a4.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not exactly a great shot in terms of photography merit, but it was fun to take. They wouldn't let me bring in mr SLR, so I couldn't take film shots. This was taken with a compact, and as you can see it's pretty fucking grainy. I'm lucky everything isn't blurred to hell, I was using something like 1/10 exposure time.

Spoiled For Hueg.
    hillaryse3.jpg

Although it was fun to go to, the events are almost cultist in nature. It was insane how excited people were.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Good god that's a huge photo Sushi. You may want to size it down a bit.

I went on a photo trip earlier today, and much fun was had. Sadly, it was also -30°C, so after 3 hours out in the cold I may have developed a bit of frost bite on my cheeks. But it was oh so worth it!

2236303476_232839082d.jpg

My favourite from the evening. It was at this point on the river that I began hearing the ice shift, which always unsettles me a bit, so I scurried off without taking any more shots from this vantage point. I'm a bit sad about that, as I really wanted to take some from directly next to the bridge.

I can't decide between these two shots of the same cathedral:

2236306100_ced80124de.jpg

2236302326_36a15d26ce.jpg

Which do you guys think is the stronger image?

Edit: I should also mention that my WB is spot on and the sky really was purple. It was a spectacular looking evening.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sushisource: The devil wears navy, eh?

Mangoes on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    saltiness wrote: »
    But they're so "I know Kung Fu."

Actually, the image reminds me of one of the guys from the Boondock Saints, which automatically makes him uber cool.

Edit -

Boondock-Saints-bh03.jpg

Uber. Cool.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No really though, the sunglasses should not be there. Stop that. You're all 8-) and I'm all :x.

Dark -

The first is good, though I think getting closer like you mentioned would have yielded something way better. The third is definitely the best of the two cathedral shots - not only does it not have the jarred horizon of the second - but the cathedral stands out a lot better. Also could be that the huge amount of sky shown (don't get me wrong, I think that works often) didn't quite help the second one.

Ver-

I like those! Especially the first and the second. What kind of lighting setup was it? I think the position of the second, but with the colors of the first would have been best though.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CapnMango wrote: »
    Sushisource: The devil wears navy, eh?

Oh, you just had to say that. Haha.

Dark: I prefer the first cathedral shot, but I think you have a little too much headroom, I would've liked to see a little bit more of the city.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I can't remember what free program can import raws... are there any? I'm on my little bro's comp.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GIMP can do it with a plugin.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

MKR on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, I just got a nice tripod, so I'm trying out panoramas.

What do you think?

http://www.filecram.com/files/baysmall.jpg
    http://www.filecram.com/files/panoramasmall.jpg

(these are really big, so beware 56k)

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Uberslug - the first one is well done, though the subject is a bit blah - damn cloud cover! The second has quite a few visible seams, and it looks like your horizon moves vertically as well through the shots. The blue thing under the tree trunk in the first frame to the left compared to the same blue thing on the far right frame are in fairly different places. This isn't too obvious, though, so if you just crop out that particular thing on the right hand side of the image and fix the seams it's a very nice shot.

Unknown: Alas, the 1st cathedral was taken from the top of a parking garage and any more ground in the shot would've caused me to catch some of the railing in the frame. Do you think playing with colour levels and darkening everything but the tones the cathedral is painted in might create enough pop on the cathedral to save the image? I'm really a fan of the big sky and would love to use this shot. (I'm looking to sell some prints to a local cafe, this and the bridge shot are my current planned submissions).

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks. The second one was made first, so that's why it has more obvious seams.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Unknown: Alas, the 1st cathedral was taken from the top of a parking garage and any more ground in the shot would've caused me to catch some of the railing in the frame. Do you think playing with colour levels and darkening everything but the tones the cathedral is painted in might create enough pop on the cathedral to save the image? I'm really a fan of the big sky and would love to use this shot. (I'm looking to sell some prints to a local cafe, this and the bridge shot are my current planned submissions).

That's a possible solution. Try it and see if it works. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty clear from the tones and center composition that the cathedral is the subject - it's just to be honest I don't think it's presented in any particularly interesting way. The branches obscuring it don't help either, but there's really nothing you could do about that from where you were. I'm a fan of interesting compositions with lots of sky, but I don't think it really adds anything to the actual presentation of the subject or scale, and isn't interesting enough by itself to justify being 80% of the shot. (As opposed to your bridge one, where the sky is pretty great.) Also like I said the horizon is a bit jarred sloping down to the right, though I doubt most would notice.

Sorry if you're attached to that shot or something, but eh, I think the worst thing I could do for you would be to completely ignore it. Hope it helps.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Uberslug wrote: »
    Thanks. The second one was made first, so that's why it has more obvious seams.

Not at all bad for a first try. May I ask what tripod you picked up? What about the head?

Saint - I will fix the horizon, which I can now see too, and fiddle with colouring. Results will be forthcoming. Thanks for the honesty - even if I am attached to a shot, I'd much rather hear true criticisms than false praise.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    IMG_50471.jpg

Crits always welcome!

Natural light from the left and then my flash bounced off a wall from the right.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Not at all bad for a first try. May I ask what tripod you picked up? What about the head?
    The tripod is an Opteka lightweight. The model is Opt 7000. It's my first tripod and it was a Christmas present, so I don't know much about them.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    2238588808_cf4ecae20e.jpg

Is this better? I straightened the skyline and selectively desaturated everything but the cathedral by approximately 20%. I also PPed out that damn light in the bottom right hand corner, though don't look too closely - it was a bit of a rough job.

Edit: Bloody hell, it looks like a lame selective colour edit now, doesn't it?

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Honestly, that vantage point just isn't going to give you a great shot, in my opinion. A good shot, yes, but not great. Next time you have the opportunity, I'd go out and scout for a better place to shoot from. Then go back there when the conditions are right.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I wish this were a little sharper, but I dig it. Once again practicing flash only in various situations using my most willing subject. (Myself.)

CarPortrait.jpg

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Crazy ArtistCrazy Artist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    (this is to unknown saint) i liked the picture, the contrast of the brightness of your face versus the dark car and outdoors is good - i would brighten your face a little more, give it some more exposure.

Now for my own pic
    f_DSC00081m_4fe1e4d.jpg these were some mountains in wyoming, then i put an art filter over it.

Crazy Artist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. Really? With the fucking timestamp too?

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Crazy ArtistCrazy Artist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i'm not trying to troll - i'm sorry if it seems i am. I was just saying what would have looked good to me.
    And sorry about the timestamp - like seriously i'm a mega-amateur photographer and i didn't know how to take it off when taking the picture and i didn't want to cut off the bottom, and i never took the time to photoshop it. So sorry 'bout that too.

Crazy Artist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Read your camera manual. It'll likely tell you. Also typical art filter effect crap like that is a major, major, heinous no-no. The inquiry about trolling wasn't really regarding your criticism (Though I'm not sure how valid it is. Increasing any values on the face would blow it out too much or lose definition.), it was in response to your whole post in general. Sorry to be a dick about this, but if you don't give a shit enough to find out how to remove the god damned timestamp, do you think you deserve to be taken seriously? Lurk a bit more, keep shooting, figure out your camera, read up on some basics, then come back. That's about the best advice I can give you.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ditto as to the art filter. You might even have a halfway decent photo there before going and screwing around with it.

Veritas on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The "art filter" makes it look more like a dithered GIF of a photo than a painting. If you want a painting, use the photo as a reference and paint. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Slug, I like the panoramas. I kinda dig the clouds and all the colors in the first one...it might have been cool with less of the ground, and more clouds...maybe some more contrast in the clouds?

The second is definetly my favorite, I like the colors, and that road looks frickin' awesome

I went out for a ride today since the weather is BEAUTIFUL compared to the last few weeks. I didn't take as many shots as I wanted to...the light was never quite right for the interesting stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about the first one...also, any opinions on the bike shots? Thanks.

IMGP0532.jpg

IMGP0537.jpg

IMGP0539.jpg

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The first is pretty good. Nice subtle tones. Composition could be a bit better though. (If you just wanted to show the little barn/shed thing I think it woulda been better off dropped in a corner a bit more, not off-center like that.)

The third is the better of the bike shots, but that hard shadow really kind of ruins it for me.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My friends and I were having some fun making a knife yesterday, and I was able to borrow his super nice EOS 30D (rich bastard) and take some pictures. These are the ones I liked the most:

n652035630_933410_3795.jpg
    n652035630_932820_1815.jpg
    n652035630_932882_2105.jpg
    n652035630_932806_7638.jpg
    Omg don't arrest me:
    n652035630_932809_8511.jpg

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sushi, the shower of sparks in the second looks pretty cool, I think that the fourth is my favorite, I like the composition a lot

Thanks Saint, in retrospect, I see what you mean about the composition, I think I like this one a whole lot better...
    IMGP0530.jpg

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, that is a much better photo. I like it very much. Why would you hide such a pretty photo in a spoiler? Let it run free!

Saint, how did you do that in your car? Do you have some sort of magic tripod or was that hand held? Trying to do self portraits is one of the more frustrating things I've tried to do with my camera, even with a cable release and a decent tripod.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, the magic tripod was in the trunk so I just bundled up my sweater and put the camera on it. Worked just fine - flash and all. Same idea as those little bean bags some folk use for the exact same purpose. My last photog prof suggested always having a small sack full of pinto beans in your car at all times for such use, can't say it's bad advice.

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.