As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey CP, I really like that version of the picture, it looks a lot better! Also, I liked the pictures of the bike against that shed (barn?) Did you use a flash on the second one?

I got some film developed. The pictures aren't good photographically but I enjoyed them. With film I like taking more casual photos and seeing what happens.

2237168713_120f12bf91.jpg
    2237958304_4138c5e3e6.jpg
    2237168017_c39001e87b.jpg
    2237166215_d6efd0ee64.jpg
    2237958022_da83259fb8.jpg
    2237166495_8a2b9263a7.jpg

uberneko on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

n652035630_932820_1815.jpg

I half expected him to be holding a guitar in this.

Obilex on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Now someone has to Photoshop it in.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm double posting because this is the end of the page and no one else has posted in forever.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    :<>

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thank you for your intelligent and insightful input, MKR.

:P

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Any time.

:D

MKR on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Obilex wrote: »

n652035630_932820_1815.jpg

I half expected him to be holding a guitar in this.

A guitar made of pure fury

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    CPCP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Neko, Thanks, I think it works out a lot better with the other composition (actually a different picture as well). I didn't use flash on any of the bike pictures, just hard mid-afternoon sun.

Also, I like the fourth one, thats a great expression on the guys face.

Nice pigeon (?) Sheri, nice a crisp

CP on
    Picasa web album
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hat:

2239421779_e6eb376a0b.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's not doing anything for me, Ver.

I just don't find it interesting. I don't like the blown out left brim or the fact that you can see the stand underneath it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The fuzz and crap that hangs off the sides is a bit distracting, pretty easy clone job. Isn't terrible though.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aw c'mon dudes

Is my bird that boring? :(

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    Aw c'mon dudes

The sky seems to be hogging all the attention. That bastard.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Aw c'mon dudes

I totally have a hard-on for cloudless blue skies.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, I already know how you will respond to my first criticism.

Me - Top of the bird is a wee tiny bit blown out.

You - Not on my monitor.

Also I would consider cropping out the underside of the bottom portion underneath the white glass. Just the tiny black bit - could just be me being anal but it's a small little element and I think the image would be better without it. Other than that, it's just not a particularly interesting shot. Cute and all, but not really as good as I would expect from you, especially with all the awesome equipment you've been talking about lately. :|

Edit - I also think a tighter crop would be nice. Vertical shot, bird in the center. (Horizontally speaking.)

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aw c'mon dudes

Fuck MKR, the sky is awesome and that photo is awesome. I wouldn't change it at all. I'd like to see it in B&W, but it probably wouldn't be worth losing that nice, blue sky.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    Aw c'mon dudes

Fuck MKR, the sky is awesome and that photo is awesome. I wouldn't change it at all. I'd like to see it in B&W, but it probably wouldn't be worth losing that nice, blue sky.

Sheri, I may not like the sky, but the bird's expression has become my favorite emoticon.

Edit: 8<>

Edit 2: &<>

{8}<>

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You - Not on my monitor.

Also I would consider cropping out the underside of the bottom portion underneath the white glass. Just the tiny black bit - could just be me being anal but it's a small little element and I think the image would be better without it. Other than that, it's just not a particularly interesting shot. Cute and all, but not really as good as I would expect from you, especially with all the awesome equipment you've been talking about lately. :|

Edit - I also think a tighter crop would be nice. Vertical shot, bird in the center. (Horizontally speaking.)

I wasn't going to say that at all. I actually burned the bird's head a bit in PS. So nyah, smartypants.

Would it be better to just clone some green to cover up the black bit?

I could try the vertical crop if you care enough to see it, but I got enough shit last year about doing pretty much what you're suggesting with my animal shots that I don't think it would do much. :P

As for equipment, I've only gotten a new camera body, and we all know the equipment doesn't make the photographer.

EDIT: Oh god I've created a monster

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You - Not on my monitor.

I wasn't going to say that at all. I actually burned the bird's head a bit in PS. So nyah, smartypants.

I could try the vertical crop if you care enough to see it, but I got enough shit last year about doing pretty much what you're suggesting with my animal shots that I don't think it would do much. :P

As for equipment, I've only gotten a new camera body, and we all know the equipment doesn't make the photographer.

V

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If you crop it that way and it looks better, that's what matters. What kind of shit did people give you for what, exactly? No reason not to be subjective with your shots. Something that works in one or a few may not work in another. If you don't like it that way then stick with what you have now. /shrug

Edit - Yes, yes you have.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If you crop it that way and it looks better, that's what matters. What kind of shit did people give you for what, exactly? No reason not to be subjective with your shots. Something that works in one or a few may not work in another. If you don't like it that way then stick with what you have now. /shrug

Edit - Yes, yes you have.

Ah don't worry about it, it was, like, a year ago.

No, a year and a half. Oh man. D:

Anyway, I like the composition the way it is, I think. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. :)

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    lolk

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's not doing anything for me, Ver.

I just don't find it interesting. I don't like the blown out left brim or the fact that you can see the stand underneath it.

Yeah I agree, I liked it at first but not that interesting anymore. Also I completely did not notice the stand. Even now on my monitor its barely noticeable. I hate this monitor.
    The fuzz and crap that hangs off the sides is a bit distracting, pretty easy clone job. Isn't terrible though.

Yeah I should go back and touch it up some although I'm not altogether certain its worth it for this shot. I might try another configuration of it later.

Sheri: I like the composition and colors, I'm also a sucker for the cloudless blue skies, I just think your model was being quite uncooperative and should have perhaps tried some other poses. Something a little more dynamic perhaps. If he was unwilling to do anything though then I suppose not much could have been changed.

I think you also lose him a bit because the glass draws the attention more than the pigeon. The same shot in a portrait orientation might work a little bit better and maybe adding a little more contrast.

edit: nm, missed a whole conversation there lol.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hah, I did have some shots of him looking other ways, but this one is definitely the best pose. ;)

I may try a portrait

But not tonight, cuz I'm tired.

Sheri on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I took a random trip to a gravel pit factory thing this weekend. That was fun:

2240458745_97d8ed21d9.jpg

2240458559_b8555618a5.jpg

2241251336_6f9dfae3e8.jpg

Crits always welcome. I'll probably post more from this trip as I process them.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh man that last one, is so cool, if only the water extended to the top of the frame without that reflection.

Love that shot though.

Veritas on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    Oh man that last one, is so cool, if only the water extended to the top of the frame without that reflection.

Love that shot though.

Agreed. Even with the reflection it's fantastic, but should you feel the urge to break out the clone brush...

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2240772133_a9d8c83717_o.jpg

Creatively starved. :(

tofu on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    014-1.jpg

103.jpg

Poot on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    anable, I love what you're doing with those and I demand more.

Sheri on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You - Not on my monitor.

I think it could stand a closer crop without going vertical. The green base can go. I'm trying to mask out proportions in my head. I'm not on the scanner machine at work, so the best I've got for editing is putting my hands on the monitor.

Edit: Hrmmm. I'm not sure now.
    88767661ju1.png

I keep sliding the bottom and left edges. I definitely wouldn't go above the halfway point on the sphere, but it may work to just come up above the black.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You - Not on my monitor.

I think it could stand a closer crop without going vertical. The green base can go. I'm trying to mask out proportions in my head. I'm not on the scanner machine at work, so the best I've got for editing is putting my hands on the monitor.

Edit: Hrmmm. I'm not sure now.

I keep sliding the bottom and left edges. I definitely wouldn't go above the halfway point on the sphere, but it may work to just come up above the black.

I prefer it with the green base, myself. It gives the shot needed context and adds a nice third colour. The amorphous white blob looks strange when it isn't easily recognizable as a streetlamp - it's like some sort of giant puffball mushroom. Accompanied by the white border I really like the original shot.

If you chop out the green base, Sheri, I'd consider recolouring your border black. I think I'd much prefer Aneurhythmia's edit with a thin black border.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They all get the same border

Sheri on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    anable wrote: »

2240458559_b8555618a5.jpg

Crits always welcome.
    This shot is almost wonderful, but instead it's very good. The photo really needed to include those two "arms" converging, for it to be satisfying. As is, I feel like the focus slides right out of the photo trying to find that resolution. Also, the left side of the building should be parallel with the side of the photo -- it's slightly off, but that one's an easy fix in post.

I love the photo, though. I want you to go back and take it again with the arms converging. :)

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They all get the same border

But...but white border smooshing into white giant mushroom? Madness!

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man you guys (and gal) rock. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Veritas wrote: »

Love that shot though.

Agreed. Even with the reflection it's fantastic, but should you feel the urge to break out the clone brush...

I agree and tried but my Photoshop skills suck. I had better success in Lightroom with the heal tool but it was still unsatisfactory.
    anable, I love what you're doing with those and I demand more.

Ask and ye shall receive:
    2243770480_809b22cb8f.jpg

And because it's been too long without a black and white shot:
    2242945701_3f429a9fdc.jpg

Other people seem to like this one more than I do:
    2243737754_eb41081cc7.jpg
    gilrain wrote: »
    anable wrote: »

building

Crits always welcome.
    This shot is almost wonderful, but instead it's very good. The photo really needed to include those two "arms" converging, for it to be satisfying. As is, I feel like the focus slides right out of the photo trying to find that resolution. Also, the left side of the building should be parallel with the side of the photo -- it's slightly off, but that one's an easy fix in post.

I love the photo, though. I want you to go back and take it again with the arms converging. :)

I'm not sure that I agree simply because towards the convergence the picture starts to get really cluttered. Here's what I mean:

2243738024_a0d49c349e.jpg

Though other people have said the same thing as you so maybe you're on to something!

Thanks for that vertical alignment trick. I was pretty unhappy with my alignment but I kept trying to find a horizontal guide with no success. I don't know why I didn't think vertical.

There's about twice as many in my flickr if anyone wants to see more. Thanks again for the feedback.

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So I know this isn't a Photo Thread photograph, but I'm too stoked about this to not share.

Look what I did today.

Sheri on
This discussion has been closed.