As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some Day My Prints Will Come [PHOTO THREAD] (spoiler things and die)

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

That makes me think of photos from modern-day Chernobyl.

It's a Cancer Bear on the corner of one of the busiest intersections in the city!

I don't know what a Cancer Bear is.

MKR on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I finally got a chance to go out with my buddy who got me into photography. We went to Old Town Alexandria and walked around. Was my first time doing that kind of photography. I think I managed to get a couple decent shots. This one is my fave I think:

2251912034_9e2193f486.jpg

This one was just a throwaway shot to test the framing for a long exposure shot. I was playing around with black and white on a buncha pics and hit it on a whim. Looks kinda interesting to me, I dunno.

2251252499_9c2c3e6d1a.jpg

This one I was actualy trying. It was a kind of boring shot in color, it looks more interesting in black and white for sure. I'm not really sure on black and white though.

2251259333_a9e71e219a.jpg

Crits welcome.

Stregone on
  • Options
    biiirdmaaan!biiirdmaaan! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veritas: Why don't you like that second bottle shot? I really like the shallow DOF and the illumination you have in that one.

This is my first time trying to control lighting, and a pretty ghetto attempt at that. Done with a hand-held movie light mounted on a tripod on camera right and a foil-covered book as a reflector on the left. I really want a flash, but I can't really justify spending any moneys at the moment.

buddyjt7.jpg

Crits appreciated.

biiirdmaaan! on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Second one (water bottle) wasn't too bad just a bit too soft for my liking. Nice job with the lighting though birdman, theres a lot you can do without a flash. If you haven't already, checkout the Strobist website a lot of his techniques can be applied to continuous light sources as well.

- So anyways I finally get around to stopping in Gibsonton to get some pictures of the Phosphate plant, only I'm a dumbass and I forget my tripod. Unfortunately, anyone who knows about Gibsonton, this is not really the place you want to be at 1 in the morning, its a bit of a carny town and not the safest place at night. So I'll try to go back another time but its a bit out of my way to get back anytime soon.

2251485817_dd20aefc15.jpg

2252281626_a6b6c245fb.jpg

Veritas on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The first shot needs to be pulled back just a bit further so as not to cut off the lamppost at the top.

tofu on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sup fgts

Red Sox Toga Hat
    2251575729_359a5e4cae.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jesus Gaf, where you been?

I like the shot, though shallow DOF hat shots seem to be your obligatory thing.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here is a shot of my son. He was underexposed, so I had to up the brightness on him and merge that with the untouched background. I don't know if I did a good job.

2251488809_4427028273.jpg

foursquareman on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here is a shot of my son. He was underexposed, so I had to up the brightness on him and merge that with the untouched background. I don't know if I did a good job.

2251488809_4427028273.jpg
    I can see a small halo of brightness around him, belying your edit. Either that or your son is the messiah come down for round two... :P

Edit: good :facepalm: shot, though.

gilrain on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veritas wrote: »
    2251485817_dd20aefc15.jpg

I have a soft spot for black and white highway shots at night so I like it. I do agree that the lamp post should have fully been in the shot though. That's kinda awesome that you have a phosphate plant to go take pictures of. I demand you return, tripod in hand this time.

anable on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jesus Gaf, where you been.

eh, school. Everytime I get back to school I run out of things to shoot pictures of. Also my car is broken down at the moment so I can't drive anywhere.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I come bearing a question!

envy.jpg

What do I do about that shadow at the bottom? I tried the flash, but it washes everything out if I set it high enough to lighten the shadow sufficiently. What sort of light should I use in a situation like this? The light is the sun, so moving it above the subject isn't an option. :P

MKR on
  • Options
    biiirdmaaan!biiirdmaaan! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What do I do about that shadow at the bottom? I tried the flash, but it washes everything out if I set it high enough to lighten the shadow sufficiently. What sort of light should I use in a situation like this? The light is the sun, so moving it above the subject isn't an option. :P

You could use something shiny to reflect the light into the shadowed area. Aluminium foil should do the trick.

biiirdmaaan! on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I come bearing a question!

envy.jpg

Wait for high noon, or as suggested use a fill light or reflector, though I dunno about foil, might be too harsh, maybe some white foam core would be better.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I should be able to do it at noon. I've got a table outside which would be perfect. :)

Thanks for the advice.

MKR on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I should be able to do it at noon. I've got a table outside which would be perfect. :)

Thanks for the advice.

The noon thing was kinda a joke. It would really be much easier to just put a shade over it to block out the sun and then put a light over the top to get adequate exposure and eliminate shadow.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I haven't posted any pictures in a while, so here it goes.

I went to the Science and Industry Museum a few weeks ago with my parents. I hadn't been there in maybe 10 years. It's not quite what what I remember, but it was still fun.
    In the DNA section they had an incubator with recently hatched chicks, and chicks that were working their way out of the shell. It was really hard to get up close for a picture because there were so many kids around it (and mothers pushing their kids in front of me) I did end up getting a couple pictures. I like this one because it shows the sense of wonder on the girls face, looking at new life. I realize it's not a great picture, so I would love some criticism on it.
    2253641124_feb6cdc03a_b.jpg

Also at the Science and Industry Museum, a Foucault Pendulum.
    2252846855_6008cc007a_b.jpg

I know that it's difficult to get a good picture of your pets, because we have an emotional attachment to our own pets. Because of that we would think that any picture looks good of our own pet. I took a bunch of my cat, trying to focus on composition. Hopefully it turned out a little better than if I hadn't been actively thinking about it. One of my cats: Caspien.
    2253642496_843ba1e821_b.jpg

And during Christmas I was experimenting with long-exposure while zooming out. Some of the lights ended up wavy though. any way to not get that?
    2253647918_1fc713117b_b.jpg

I would appreciate any and all critiques.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veritas - the rhythm of the first shot is beautiful.

Spacerobot I adore the first shot. It belongs in a Marxist tract. Quite envious of that capture, well done.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cross_back.jpg

Playing around w/ my brother's laser pointer.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Random image time folks.

Light thing:
    2254579740_a3927caef7.jpg

Asian markets are fun:
    2253782735_5e2ef0fe2f.jpg

Also, this guy is my hero:
    2254580088_f1fff05f8f.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    spacerobot wrote: »
    I haven't posted any pictures in a while, so here it goes.

Space Christmas Tree

I would appreciate any and all critiques.

I think it would be amazingly boring without the camera shake (which will be due to you operating the zoom an moving it, even if it is on a tripod.)

Jeak on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Love the laser photo pilcrow.

Saw this vineyard and I had to pull over to get a photo of it.

2254531802_38f98d8afc.jpg

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bah. You guys have been too quiet today.

Something old:
    2256187242_f7de423f60.jpg

Something new:
    2255389405_5b7bf0c896.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    New looks neat

2254990685_3df172306e.jpg

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fahrenheit, I would consider it a personal favor if you outlined how you accomplished the lighting in that shot (which, by the way, is terrific). I'm still terribly ignorant when it comes to that sort of thing.

anable on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did you erase part of the scissor with Photoshop (or some other app)?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It probably has something to do with the cloth the handle and blade are under.
    :P

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I believe it's obscured by some part of the black cloth that he used as background.

Edit - MKR beat me to it.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If it is, it looks very awkward...the edges where the cloth covers the handle and blade are just about perfectly straight. Also, the folds in the cloth don't look right if the cloth is simply covering part of the scissor.

One more thing: shouldn't the blade and the handle make some sort of indentation in the cloth above it? Because right now, there is none. Blow up the picture and take a look.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    fogeyman wrote: »
    If it is, it looks very awkward...the edges where the cloth covers the handle and blade are just about perfectly straight. Also, the folds in the cloth don't look right if the cloth is simply covering part of the scissor.

One more thing: shouldn't the blade and the handle make some sort of indentation in the cloth above it? Because right now, there is none. Blow up the picture and take a look.

As far as I can tell it looks consistent with the notion that the handle and blade are under a thick, black cloth.

MKR on
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The cloth is covering it physically, (full view) the only post work is the color saturation to make it look more orangey. I used two 500W work lights, those yellow construction kind.

I think I used a pillow case to diffuse the light, too.

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I guess I was wrong. I like the picture, though.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Who <3s a photothread? Anable <3s a photothread.

2256382309_4362e89eb9.jpg

2256381829_c22410326f.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And a pinch to grow an inch.

2256417359_a3fb4586d9.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That second one would go from good to great if you toned it down a bit on the top/right area.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    okay i had a camping trip last week and managed to get away with the barest minimum of decent photos. on the plus side, my camera got a shitload of sand in it. ah well, it's a sturdy fucker anyway

sorry these are a bit small, i scaled one down a bit too much and then had to do the others the same for consistency's sake

edengulls.jpg
    sunsetphoto.jpg
    beachgull.jpg
    campview.jpg

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone Favorited this on my flickr account.

My first time. Wow i'm giddy as a school boy.

2257765552_fd32a107d8_o.jpg

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bsjezz, my monitors gone all funny, but from what I see, I really like the sunset.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    anable wrote: »
    And a pinch to grow an inch.

2256417359_a3fb4586d9.jpg

I've tried this shot many times (with the shallow DOF) and never gotten it to look this good. Your distant horizon like helps make the shot interesting, plus your choice of subject works (it makes the ... limestone? ... look like a beach seen from a distance). :^:

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That second one would go from good to great if you toned it down a bit on the top/right area.

I kept the blown out look because that's how the picture turned out and I thought it added a certain charm. But I went back and tweaked the tone levels and have to agree that I was wrong. So here's the updated one:

2257529747_1c19aa822b.jpg
    I've tried this shot many times (with the shallow DOF) and never gotten it to look this good. Your distant horizon like helps make the shot interesting, plus your choice of subject works (it makes the ... limestone? ... look like a beach seen from a distance). :^:

Thanks Pope. I have to admit I did get a bit lucky with that shot. It was with my kit lens and I just kinda pointed it at the ledge and went for it. I was pretty excited with the way it turned out though.

anable on
This discussion has been closed.