As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

1789101113»

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Are they going to keep going with the bi-monthly releases? I don't know why but I thought that was just going to be for the duration of the 'All Out War' arc.

H9f4bVe.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Are they going to keep going with the bi-monthly releases? I don't know why but I thought that was just going to be for the duration of the 'All Out War' arc.

No, those are done with. Once a month now. Was only for AOW.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, that was a good issue, I'm actually excited to read Walking Dead again.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I was scared what might go on, but this issue definitely got me excited again as well.
    Rick...DAT HAIRCUT. I didn't even notice the guy on the horse was Jesus. It took me till after reading to realize Michonne wasn't there, but she is probably living at the Kingdom.

Can you believe our little group of original survivors are the leaders of three towns now? Crazy.

Pretty sure Carl is gonna go batshit crazy villain one day.

I also love that it is a 2 year time jump. Such a perfect little frame to skip. Let the communities develop and whatnot.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The Walking Dead has its mojo back. That was a seriously fantastic issue.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Re. 127
    I agree that 2 years is just about perfect for a time skip - enough time to really pick up the pieces after the war and get things humming along into a post-post apocalyptic state.

I also kind've like that Rick is somewhat hobbled by his injuries - I'll bet he's still a bad-ass in close-quarters, but he'll be necessarily benched for the foreseeable future and we'll be able to start seeing other characters brought more to the fore.

Also sensing that there's something more to Magna and her group than meets the eye - the comment about the Community being 'what we've been looking for.' Could be an innocent remark.

Or not!

Also godammit Negan, just die you stupid butt.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Re. 127
    I agree that 2 years is just about perfect for a time skip - enough time to really pick up the pieces after the war and get things humming along into a post-post apocalyptic state.

I also kind've like that Rick is somewhat hobbled by his injuries - I'll bet he's still a bad-ass in close-quarters, but he'll be necessarily benched for the foreseeable future and we'll be able to start seeing other characters brought more to the fore.

Also sensing that there's something more to Magna and her group than meets the eye - the comment about the Community being 'what we've been looking for.' Could be an innocent remark.

Or not!

Also godammit Negan, just die you stupid butt.
    No way. I am a Neganite! Hail Negan!!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    As others have said, this is a great issue. What makes The Walking Dead such an interesting read is that it continues after things go all to hell. When the shopping mall gets demolished by a biker army and overrun by the living dead, the Romero film ends. The Kirkman comic keeps rolling film, and the survivors have to sweep up a shit-ton of broken glass.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    Hate to follow my own post. But what're people's thoughts on issue 130?
    For my part, I think the smart money is on quislings, or something similar. Like Max Brooks writes about in World War Z, people who basically threw in the towel and starting acting like zombies. Basically, cannibals who look, smell, and act enough like animated corpses that the dead don't mess with them.

Now, if Rick had 'heard' this while he was out on patrol, there'd be no question. Just straight-up batshit crazy like when he lugged that phone around for months.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    That is a pretty good guess. I didn't think of that. Really, I want to chalk it up to the two guys going insane while out there that long. Who knows though? I like the theory of people being so down and out that they are basically cannibals/zombies and don't get bothered by real zombies.

I really like Negan, but I love what is set up now in town. I'm scared when he gets out. Ha. Someone big is gonna die or Carl joins him or something crazy.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited August 2014
    About Negan;
    I loved the resolution, if that's what we can call it, to the cliffhanger. "Sorry, not buying it." Clearly, Magna's been surviving in that world long enough to have some pretty good instincts. Which possibly calls her story into question a bit, if she's also run into some douches like this in the past. It'll be interesting seeing how this plays out.

The "twist" I'd like to see with Negan's story is that he never gets out but maybe gets inside Rick's head, not one of his people. He kind of becomes his link to a time when he always had a clear enemy, something specific he had to do. Rick takes over the responsibility of feeding him, and eventually, much, much later, someone eavesdropping on Rick discovers him having a lengthy (in his mind) two-way conversation with a corpse, as Negan has been dead for ages. Cue the leadership challenge.

Zoku Gojira on
    Hate to follow my own post. But what're people's thoughts on issue 130?
    For my part, I think the smart money is on quislings, or something similar. Like Max Brooks writes about in World War Z, people who basically threw in the towel and starting acting like zombies. Basically, cannibals who look, smell, and act enough like animated corpses that the dead don't mess with them.

Now, if Rick had 'heard' this while he was out on patrol, there'd be no question. Just straight-up batshit crazy like when he lugged that phone around for months.

I posted my reaction in the MOTW thread, but I had the same thought:
    Humans that have learned to travel with zombies undetected, and have probably gone cray-cray judging by the speech pattern.

Zombies gaining intelligence and the ability to speak would be incredible, but I think it would go against what the spirit of the book has been for so long - that is, keeping the story focus on humans dealing with humans in a disaster and not the nature of the disaster they're caught in.

I really hope the dead are transforming and for a few seconds I thought that might be what was happening, mainly because I wanted it to be true, but I think the quisling thing is much more likely. Especially given that it's a 'human reaction to the zombie apocalypse' behavior we haven't seen yet, and that's what the book is really about.

But man... mutant zombies would be great. For them to develop intelligence would basically be a revelation that this zombie apocalypse was supernatural - the zombies are the result of a non-natural force that was seeping into the world and getting stronger, like the ones in Fort Zombie.

H9f4bVe.png
    Anyone read today's issue #132?!
    The "talking walkers" are people who are all Leatherfacing and shit. The reveal of it was pretty great because I almost thought for a second that they were special zombies. Almost thought that.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Expected it.
    But I didn't expect them to be wearing those flesh-masks - that almost got me to reconsider myself. I kept looking at the face and thinking that it couldn't be just an especially filthy human, it looked too dead - well played, Walking Dead guys. Also didn't expect the quisling-people to have it together enough to be as organized as they clearly are. I expected them to be too crazy for that. The unmasking sequence was awesome - I hope they do this plot in the show, that would make for an insane moment, especially for people who watch the show but don't follow the book.

I was sorry we didn't see more with Andrea talking with the new survivors, and figuring out why they're acting this way - we only got a bit of glaring and posturing.

But - two issues this month! Only gotta wait 2 weeks to find out what happens next.

H9f4bVe.png
    I totally forgot about the 2 issues this month.
    I don't think Magna and her group are gonna cause trouble. I feel like they are doing what Rick would do. They just want to know wtf is going on with prison guy and what things might be hidden from them.

I'm scared to think of what these new baddies might do. If you look at the "next issue" image, it looks like they are going to lore the hoard back to Maggie's place by having Dante and the leader guy dressed in one of the other guys skins (riot gear and all). Or it is just a swerve cover. Who knows.

OH. What if Magna's group actually ran into these guys before?! Remember, when they were hiding on top of the container, they were making sure not to be seen. Obviously you would do that with any group of walkers, but maybe that plays into this new evil.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Not to revive a 3 year old thread, but anyone read this week's issue?
    Really got me. Glenn's death didn't even get to me. I thought that was awesome. This one is just heartbreaking because it is just a more realistic death (lying in bed, waiting for the end). Definitely had tears in this one. I wish Andrea was doing stuff recently before this arc of her's came about.

And there being no fan mail at the end and only Kirkman talking? Really hit me.

bYf6vNQ.png
    WELP. Back to revive the thread for the happenings from this week's issue. Holy fuck. Anyone caught up?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Guess this can be the final post in here. This week's issue is apparently the last of the series. That was abrupt and out of nowhere.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Thanks for the memories, Walking Dead.

I really enjoyed the last issue. I loved Kirkman talking for a few pages as well. Was nice to see him also struggle with the series ending.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Any chance you feel like spoiling the ending for those of us who didn't really follow the series?

see317 wrote: »
    Any chance you feel like spoiling the ending for those of us who didn't really follow the series?
    Rick got shot in the previous issue, Carl killed zombie Rick, and everyone was accompanying Carl back to bury him.

Last issue is a huge time jump. Carl and Sophia have a child (Andrea). Hershel (Maggie’s son) is courting zombies to sideshow to make money. One escapes and winds up on Carl's lawn and he kills it. They treat it like he destroyed someone's property, Carl destroys the rest of the zombies at night, and it goes to high court. Michonne (Judge Hawthorne) let's him go and basically rules that people can't keep zombies. Carl and Hershel have a chat where Hershel says it was making him feel closer to the father he never got to meet (by having those zombies) and he scowls. Eugene is almost done with a railroad that reaches the west coast. Princess, Aaron, Jesus, Negan, and others are still around. It ends with Carl sitting in a rocking chair, reading a book about Rick to Andrea. The talk about basically the whole timeline of the series as "The Trials." That is what it is dubbed.

I'm sure there is other small stuff I missed (Carl stopping at Negan's house and he never answers but always picks up the supplies Carl leaves, Lydia accompanying Carl while he drops supplies to Eugene, etc.). The letter by Kirkman made it seem like he would've kept going if he had more story, but at this point he isn't going to just make it up to drag things out. He was definitely unsure the closer he got to doing this, but yea, better to end on a high note than to keep going for the sake of going.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think Kirkman is by and large not that great a writer but I agree that the final issue was actually quite good. It managed to tell an interesting little story while catching the reader up on where all of the characters wound up.

Glad it's over though. That book has a lot more bad issues than good for the past 80 or so issues.