As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• NAPNAP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My first post...

I love that Kirkman is focusing on his own created books now. Monthly Walking Dead is the best thing ever.

Also, I actually like Adlard more than Tony Moore. For a book as dark and depressing as TWD, Moore's style is a bit cartoony for it IMO. Not a knock against Moore in any way, I love his work. But Adlard's art fits it perfectly.

NAP on
    PSN & XBL gamertags in spoiler tag:
    PSN: napharris
    NAP26.jpg

Add me for SF4, I'll play anyone.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NAP, you don't give any hint of what you're spoiling. like, say what issue you're talking up to or something

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I just read the 9th trade. Thought it felt kind of like filler.

Still...
    I'm glad the Dale and the others survived. Glenn, Dale and Andrea are my favorites so it's great that they didn't bite it.

Also, Abraham is badass and I already don't trust Eugene. What kind of genius scientist has a mullet? And the information he knows is classified? If there's any time to just say fuck it to classified information it's during the zombie apocalypse.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So I just read the 9th trade. Thought it felt kind of like filler.

Still...
    I'm glad the Dale and the others survived. Glenn, Dale and Andrea are my favorites so it's great that they didn't bite it.

Also, Abraham is badass and I already don't trust Eugene. What kind of genius scientist has a mullet? And the information he knows is classified? If there's any time to just say fuck it to classified information it's during the zombie apocalypse.
    I highly doubt he knows anything. The guy is probably some kind of psychopath.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hahaha, in the latest issue Andrea even comments on the mullitude.

I am a bit disappointed at issue 58. Where is the UNTHINKABLE that was advertised? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that
    he didn't kill Carl

Dorktron9000 on
  • Sith PenguinSith Penguin Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    i've only read the second volume. it's pretty good, but i'm not sure i'm liking the direction they're going with the virus.

Sith Penguin on
    edited March 2009
    What do you mean? How do you know it's a virus?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, they don't say its a virus. They barely even talk about it really.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited March 2009
    It's really not important what it is. That's not what the series is about.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So this last issue was pretty awesome.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked it too. The action-packed direction they're taking is a nice turn.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just want to say Dale is an ungrateful dick and totally right too.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure anyone at that point would be a bit batshit insane. Rick is something of a danger magnet, even if it isn't per se his fault and he's just trying to do the right thing. The dozenth time Rick busts in screaming about some bad thing that's about to happen I'd start getting pretty sick of him too.

werehippy on
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Although the last two arcs were build-up, I'm still not ready for what these recent teasers are hinting at.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited April 2009
    ...what?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow I didn't even know this was coming out.

I'm a bit worried about the overall quality since it isn't hardcover.

Edit. Holy Shit what a fantastic deal this is especially if it's well put together.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I thought "trade waiting" was bad.

"Hardcover waiting" is much, much worse.

I've snagged the first 4 hardcovers off Amazon, and the wait on the 5th may lead to rioting.

Well, it would lead to rioting, if standing up quickly didn't wind me so badly.

Whew, all this heavy thinking is making me tired. I'm gonna take a nap.

In all seriousness, make with the hardcover!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Edit. Holy Shit what a fantastic deal this is especially if it's well put together.

I'm always wary of picking up a trade with 1000+ pages. It's like it is begging to fall apart. One reason I've been hesitant on the Bone omnibus.

Tomanta on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm always wary of picking up a trade with 1000+ pages. It's like it is begging to fall apart. One reason I've been hesitant on the Bone omnibus.

Uh...how many 1000+ page tomes have you picked up to judge this on? I've never had a single omnibus with pages loose or any that fell out. Even things like Essentials, which are as cheaply produced as possible, have never seen pages fall out of and I've got a fair amount of books of these sizes between my brother and myself. I've also never heard of anyone having problems with the omnibus format or pages. Not to doubt you, but are you just assuming pages will fall out because they are bigger or do you have some numbers/facts/links to back up the claim?

KVW on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    KVW wrote: »

Uh...how many 1000+ page tomes have you picked up to judge this on? I've never had a single omnibus with pages loose or any that fell out. Even things like Essentials, which are as cheaply produced as possible, have never seen pages fall out of and I've got a fair amount of books of these sizes between my brother and myself. I've also never heard of anyone having problems with the omnibus format or pages. Not to doubt you, but are you just assuming pages will fall out because they are bigger or do you have some numbers/facts/links to back up the claim?

No numbers or facts, I don't have any trades that large. Just wary for some unknown reason. Maybe it's because I have had a couple half that size loose pages after only a couple of readings *shrug*.

Tomanta on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    KVW wrote: »

i have a number of non-graphic novel books that weigh in at 1000+ pages and they do seem to have a tendency toward binding trouble. just looking at my shelf from my desk, i can see three big thick books (cuz i r smart!) whose pages are only nominally bound by their covers.

it's the same concern that kept me from picking up the bone omnibus as well, honestly.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...what?

The new teasers with things like, "The Dead do Not Hunt" hint at another Made to Suffer, which I don't want to experience over again.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!
    It was my turning point. I read it because it was fun, after that I read because I cared.

Really? This kinda turned me off from the series.

Verr on
  • way>9000way>9000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    61 anyone?
    so amazing.
    carl is such a badass

way>9000 on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've heard a couple people say that, and I honestly don't understand it. That in no way, shape, or form was a good thing.
    We just watched a kid murder another kid in cold blood. I can't wrap my mind around cheering for that.

werehippy on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It was bold, it was ballsy and it didn't side step anything.

Overall considering everything else that's happened it was a rather realistic situation to happen.

How your suppose to deal with it then? Well we saw what happened.

Cade on
  • Straydog1980Straydog1980 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so, if I've read through the end of Trade #9... how many issues behind am I now? I just got into The Walking Dead, and loved it so much I bought books 1-4, and then trade #9. I'm having a hard time waiting for #10 to come out. How many issues would i have to buy to get caught up?

Trade #9 went through issue #54.

Straydog1980 on
    edited May 2009
    stray dog that would make you 6 issues behind. if you want to start reading by issue you can start buying at 62 and then pick up trade 10 and youll be all set:)

way>9000 on
    edited May 2009
    way>9000 wrote: »
    stray dog that would make you 6 issues behind. if you want to start reading by issue you can start buying at 62 and then pick up trade 10 and youll be all set:)

awesome :P

I called my LCS and had them add it from #62 on.

Now I just have to wait for Trade 10 to come out to find out about
    the trip to D.C.

Straydog1980 on
    edited May 2009

awesome :P

I called my LCS and had them add it from #62 on.

Now I just have to wait for Trade 10 to come out to find out about
    the trip to D.C.
    youll have to wait a bit longer than that

way>9000 on
    edited May 2009
    great. Thanks dude. Now I'm going to have to go pick up the individual issues, because at the end of trade 10 that's what was going on. If you're telling me that is not true now, I can not contain the anxiety any longer. Off I go!
    i would have done this anyway

Straydog1980 on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RE:Carl
    It's an interesting event, as it shows that Carl is fairly intelligent(provided he figured out what to do from everyone's reactions as it seems), and all in all probably the best way that the situation could be solved under these conditions. There is going to be trust issues, but otherwise I think the alternatives could've ended up far worse. Then again, we have yet to see the ramifications.

Rhan9 on
    edited May 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    It's an interesting event, as it shows that Carl is fairly intelligent(provided he figured out what to do from everyone's reactions as it seems), and all in all probably the best way that the situation could be solved under these conditions. There is going to be trust issues, but otherwise I think the alternatives could've ended up far worse. Then again, we have yet to see the ramifications.

i agree
    but the coolest part of the whole thing is that no one knows that carl did it. i wonder whats gonna happen if/when they find out

way>9000 on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

i agree
    but the coolest part of the whole thing is that no one knows that carl did it. i wonder whats gonna happen if/when they find out
    Morgan knows. He saw Carl running back into his tent.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited May 2009

i agree
    i just checked and it doesnt show that morgan knows, it just shows morgan with a really sketchy look on his face.

way>9000 on
    edited May 2009

i agree
    i just checked and it doesnt show that morgan knows, it just shows morgan with a really sketchy look on his face.
    They were showing that Morgan definitely knows it was him. I think even Rick suspects it as well.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

i agree
    They were showing that Morgan definitely knows it was him. I think even Rick suspects it as well.
    Rick knows, didn't he see his bed empty when he woke up?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited May 2009
    mugginns wrote: »

i agree
    Rick knows, didn't he see his bed empty when he woke up?
    carl left the blankets so it looks like he was still there and put ricks hat (which he always wears) where his head would be

way>9000 on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not reading any spoilers

I've been burning through this series after finishing Y. It's so good

But god damn

Just finished Volume 8

This series is just so fucking brutal, while still remaining I think very realistic*. Reminds me of Song of Ice and Fire 'no character is safe' taken to the extreme. I haven't spoken real words at page of written word in excitement or shock in a long while, but have caught myself doing it plenty these past few volumes (tradebacks?).

Besides Dale and the other fucks leaving the prison in the RV for no reason then coming right back, that was dumb and requires a leap of logic on their part. Yes, spread out and take some of the prisons best shooters, that will certainly help!

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    About Carl:
    The kid is becoming the ultimate survivalist. You could say that he's becoming crazy or deranged but I don't view it that way at all, he's young, most of his life has been changed up side down and he's adapting to the new situations around him better than an adult can who has lived in situations other than what they are currently for most of their lives. Kids are amazing resilient at times and can adapt better than older people, he obviously knew the other kid at this point was a threat, that someone had to do it and so he did. Mind you he probably knew when it came down to it his father would have to be the one to put the kid down as well and more than anyone he likely is noticing the difficulties Rick is going through than most. He might have done it to spare his father the anguish of doing this after losing/going through so much. Plus it eliminated a potential threat to their group.

Like I said, the utlimate survivalist in the making. Even if Carl is expelled from the group one day for doing too much more than they can handle I don't believe the kid would die, he'd likely out of them all survive the best when it comes down to it.

Cade on