As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    BTW the Hormie is often regarded as one of the worst units in the nid codex

Honestly, I don't know why. I've killed more points of Orks with my 'gaunts than I have with my 'fexes

Gaunts themselves are great, people just hate on the hormagaunt. The general consensus is that he is a couple points overpriced. Come to think of it though, he is probably fantastic against Ork Boyz.

I thought it was because of "SPINEGUANTS SPINEGUANTS FAPFAPFAPFAP"

Pfft, give me re-roll to wound living x2 shots on them any day. But yeah, Claw, try that 1k list, then try it again, then try it with the proper amount of cover (25% of the board), then try it while eating a chalupa, then try it some more! Once you make your opponent cry (no cheating and kicking them in the balls please) then mix it up a bit and add in the stealers, making them the focus of your tactics. BUT ONLY ONCE YOU GET THE 'GAUNT LOVIN VIBE!

Edit: I wanted to put this all in one post, but you fuckers post fast!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    Hell, I've killed a Trukk with 'em :P Sure the kaboom took out half of my whoragaunts, but thats okay, they're cheap!

Aren't they 12 points to a spinegaunt's 5?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe it's just because 1,000 points just feels really awkward at times. Maybe I do need to just get my 1800 together and just play that. but I am kinda worried I'll have the same problems.

I am going to be unspeakably rude here and tell you the truth: the problem is not with whatever army you select, it is with you. No matter what you pick, there is never going to be a singular list that will win every game against all comers. Even if there was, it would still take time and effort, both of which you have demonstrated to be profoundly lacking in (or at the very least been unwilling to commit) with your previous armies, to learn how to use effectively. To speak in metaphor, even if you had all the right tools in a tool box to make a house, you would still need to learn what all the tools did to even begin attaching lumber together. Right now you are trying to hammer screws into wood and wondering why things don't stay together. Even worse, people are offering advice when you request it, only for you to keep saying that you like using screws. This is fine! Use screws. Just, you know, use them as screws. The point I am trying to make here is that instead of jumping ship again, try sticking it out. This has already been said to you by others.

I don't think that you'll listen to this though, so best of luck with whatever you come up with. Probably come here to say it is not effective, yeah?

Not related in any way at all to the above, who here thinks starting a Witch Hunter army is a good idea? I dig the heavy on fire aspect. I'm not up to speed on any upcoming changes, though, so what kind of stuff should I be aware of?

jaredburton on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not trying to say you are a bad player Frowbakk, but some of the assumptions you make are a bit exaggerated, don't factor in any sort of LOS-blocking at all, and (this is important) haven't changed even though it was demonstrated that they were completely off-base mathematically. It is interesting because the very same problems you have with stealers would be mitigated by you taking the advice you are trying to give shrimpy.

In my experience I have found that it is better to have Hormagaunts than it is to have a similar points value of Genestealers in a 1000 point game.

-Your opponent is similarly limited in what he can field.

-Your opponent will target the bigger strategic threats first.

-Genestealers are more of a strategic threat than an equal points value of Hormagaunts.

-You get more of them which will help the unit survive longer.

-With the 1000 point list I described, the bigger threat on the board is the ShootyFex-Dakkafex-Zoanthropes cluster against his opponents strateging threats rather than the Hormagaunts-Gaunts-Hormagaunts-Tyrant group would be.

-If you replaced a unit of Hormagaunts with Genestealers, then the opponent would pay more attention to the grouping instead of the more durable DakkaFex-ShootyFex-Zoanthrope cluster which was my original intent.

I offered the list as an example of what Clawshrimpy might try with the models he has, with my reasons why, and to give it a try, not as an example of the best 1000 point Tyranid list ever.

I have found that Genestealers attract more bullets than they have been worth for me, and to try a list without Genestealers and see if it works. If not, and you find yourself missing them then by all means add 'em back in.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Maybe it's just because 1,000 points just feels really awkward at times. Maybe I do need to just get my 1800 together and just play that. but I am kinda worried I'll have the same problems.

I am going to be unspeakably rude here and tell you the truth: the problem is not with whatever army you select, it is with you. No matter what you pick, there is never going to be a singular list that will win every game against all comers. Even if there was, it would still take time and effort, both of which you have demonstrated to be profoundly lacking in (or at the very least been unwilling to commit) with your previous armies, to learn how to use effectively. To speak in metaphor, even if you had all the right tools in a tool box to make a house, you would still need to learn what all the tools did to even begin attaching lumber together. Right now you are trying to hammer screws into wood and wondering why things don't stay together. Even worse, people are offering advice when you request it, only for you to keep saying that you like using screws. This is fine! Use screws. Just, you know, use them as screws. The point I am trying to make here is that instead of jumping ship again, try sticking it out. This has already been said to you by others.

I don't think that you'll listen to this though, so best of luck with whatever you come up with. Probably come here to say it is not effective, yeah?

Not related in any way at all to the above, who here thinks starting a Witch Hunter army is a good idea? I dig the heavy on fire aspect. I'm not up to speed on any upcoming changes, though, so what kind of stuff should I be aware of?

I played against a Sister army that was pretty good, you just buy hundreds of metal sisters and shoot the crap out of everything. The faith points thing is really awesome too, it's just a shame that your entire army is metal.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Here we go, this topic is more interesting. I was thinking of starting one as well by phasing them in using the mixing rules. There is no codex update slated as far as I know, but they don't really need one, from the the 5th ed rules look like they will be, they will probably get slightly more powerful considering they rely so heavily on transports, but otherwise very little will change for them. It looks like a really interesting army and I love the models... even the organ truck.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I played against a Sister army that was pretty good, you just buy hundreds of metal sisters and shoot the crap out of everything. The faith points thing is really awesome too, it's just a shame that your entire army is metal.

Preaching to the choir here. In fact I'm trying to shrink down to just Da Boyz and the Girls since having 5+ fully painted armies in storage that never get used is just silly.

But Jared, whatever you do with WitchHunters, Never buy Penitent Engines or Sisters Repentia, trust me on this.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Frowbakk wrote: »

Preaching to the choir here. In fact I'm trying to shrink down to just Da Boyz and the Girls since having 5+ fully painted armies in storage that never get used is just silly.

But Jared, whatever you do with WitchHunters, Never buy Penitent Engines or Sisters Repentia, trust me on this.

But, but... robo-chair...

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    KublaKhan wrote: »

But, but... robo-chair...

No, no... SUCKY Open-topped Robo-chair-Killa-Kan-wanna-be that you can't control after you set it on the board.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited April 2008
    What with all the metal models thing, anyone know a site or something that's selling them cheapish? I also want to add some ladies to my space marines but have thus far been daunted by my cheapness.

deke55555 on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Except the dialog is better is here.

At least ep3 didn't have grammar like this. Or quote trees.

And you two really shouldn't be discussing unit effectiveness to this degree in front of Shrimpy; he barely gets direct, relevant suggestions as it is, this theorying is going to just run him around in circles, he'll think Hormagaunts and stealers are both the best and worst units in the army.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not trying to say you are a bad player Frowbakk, but some of the assumptions you make are a bit exaggerated, don't factor in any sort of LOS-blocking at all, and (this is important) haven't changed even though it was demonstrated that they were completely off-base mathematically. It is interesting because the very same problems you have with stealers would be mitigated by you taking the advice you are trying to give shrimpy.

In my experience I have found that it is better to have Hormagaunts than it is to have a similar points value of Genestealers in a 1000 point game.

-Your opponent is similarly limited in what he can field.

-Your opponent will target the bigger strategic threats first.

-Genestealers are more of a strategic threat than an equal points value of Hormagaunts.

-You get more of them which will help the unit survive longer.

-With the 1000 point list I described, the bigger threat on the board is the ShootyFex-Dakkafex-Zoanthropes cluster against his opponents strateging threats rather than the Hormagaunts-Gaunts-Hormagaunts-Tyrant group would be.

-If you replaced a unit of Hormagaunts with Genestealers, then the opponent would pay more attention to the grouping instead of the more durable DakkaFex-ShootyFex-Zoanthrope cluster which was my original intent.

I offered the list as an example of what Clawshrimpy might try with the models he has, with my reasons why, and to give it a try, not as an example of the best 1000 point Tyranid list ever.

I have found that Genestealers attract more bullets than they have been worth for me, and to try a list without Genestealers and see if it works. If not, and you find yourself missing them then by all means add 'em back in.
    Hormaguants in general just seem so fragile and weak compared to Genestealers, though.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We are going to need a new thread pretty quick. I'd make one but I'm not allowed to post pictures.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited April 2008
    ^ Well that's embarrassing, this is what happens when you are posting at work and paranoid about people seeing you and you type too fast. (Referring to Utsanomiko's post)

Deke, it's a good question, aren't sister's the only armies with all metal troops (DH too maybe?), just go to www.thewarstore.net, besides for e-bay it won't get any cheaper then that.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    deke55555 wrote: »
    What with all the metal models thing, anyone know a site or something that's selling them cheapish? I also want to add some ladies to my space marines but have thus far been daunted by my cheapness.

The Opening post should list some good 20-25% off online stores.

Also try looking on eBay and invest in some cleaning fluid to strip them of paint.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just realized something. In 5th edition, if only troops can take objectives, what would stop someone from using the AC list and driving 4 Leman Russes that are troop selections in that list up to an objective and sitting them there?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just realized something. In 5th edition, if only troops can take objectives, what would stop someone from using the AC list and driving 4 Leman Russes that are troop selections in that list up to an objective and sitting them there?

No one plays games against Armored Corps?

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Presumably nothing, but Russ' are extra vulnerable to H2H anti-tank units so driving up the board an then sitting there could be dangerous.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

To be fair, I jumped ship with Marines when I was sure I couldn't do anything with them.

and I've been playing several games with Tyranids, it's just not working.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Presumably nothing, but Russ' are extra vulnerable to H2H anti-tank units so driving up the board an then sitting there could be dangerous.

Good point. I just thought of it while looking at Raslin's AC list.

@Raslin. I'm looking at it buddy. Just give me a little bit. :P

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Here we go, this topic is more interesting. I was thinking of starting one as well by phasing them in using the mixing rules. There is no codex update slated as far as I know, but they don't really need one, from the the 5th ed rules look like they will be, they will probably get slightly more powerful considering they rely so heavily on transports, but otherwise very little will change for them. It looks like a really interesting army and I love the models... even the organ truck.

Yeah, I'm slowly starting one as well. They're pretty damn cool, I just wish there weren't so many weird unit restrictions. The Exorcist is the best tank ever, I have scientific proof. The proof is that it is the Exorcist.
    HQ- 70
    • Canoness (1: 45)
    o Power Weapon (10)
    o Inferno Pistol (15)

Troops- 306
    • Battle Sisters Squad (11: 121)
    o Veteran Superior (14)
    o Flamer (6)
    o Heavy Flamer (12)

• Battle Sisters Squad (10: 110)
    o Veteran Superior (14)
    o Flamer (6)
    o Heavy Flamer (12)

Heavy Support- 135
    • Exorcist (1: 135)

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    1000 Points Army
    Necron Lord: 200 Points
    - Res Orb: 40 Points
    - Veil of Darkness: 60 Points
    Necron Warriors: 792 Points
    - 44 Necron Warriors: 18 Points each
    You're only as limited as you let yourself be. Amusingly, I did much the same thing for shrimpy after my necron suggestion as a lark, except I went with 1 unit of 20 warriors, 2x 10, and 4 scarabs with disruption fields. 41 3+ save models at 1000 points? Not bad, and those speedy little scarabs can go zipping about, chewing on vehicles, or tying up nasty things like devastator squads that are trying to shoot your manz.

You know, now that I actually think about this list, I'm kind of intrigued. Is a list like this actually anything close to competitive?

The main reason I'm so intrigued is that I could buy the starter set, a Necron Lord and a box of Warriors, and BAM! 1000pts for $130. Probably cheaper if I order it from elsewhere online. What's the average cost for a force?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I'm slowly starting one as well. They're pretty damn cool, I just wish there weren't so many weird unit restrictions. The Exorcist is the best tank ever, I have scientific proof. The proof is that it is the Exorcist.
    HQ- 70
    • Canoness (1: 45)
    o Power Weapon (10)
    o Inferno Pistol (15)

Troops- 306
    • Battle Sisters Squad (11: 121)
    o Veteran Superior (14)
    o Flamer (6)
    o Heavy Flamer (12)

• Battle Sisters Squad (10: 110)
    o Veteran Superior (14)
    o Flamer (6)
    o Heavy Flamer (12)

Heavy Support- 135
    • Exorcist (1: 135)

I'd love to try and convert an exorcist with crazier organ pipes twisted in all directions, more Tim Burtonesque, but I'm not sure what to use to create bent tubes.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1000 Points Army
    You're only as limited as you let yourself be. Amusingly, I did much the same thing for shrimpy after my necron suggestion as a lark, except I went with 1 unit of 20 warriors, 2x 10, and 4 scarabs with disruption fields. 41 3+ save models at 1000 points? Not bad, and those speedy little scarabs can go zipping about, chewing on vehicles, or tying up nasty things like devastator squads that are trying to shoot your manz.

You know, now that I actually think about this list, I'm kind of intrigued. Is a list like this actually anything close to competitive?

The main reason I'm so intrigued is that I could buy the starter set, a Necron Lord and a box of Warriors, and BAM! 1000pts for $130. Probably cheaper if I order it from elsewhere online. What's the average cost for a force?

My recipe for Cheesy Necrons at 1000 points has a Deceiver, Monolith, and the few Necrons you can squeeze in. Played right, it's surprisingly effective.

Edit: I suppose I should answer the question too. Yeah, you'd do alright with that. It might be a little bland, but it'll work.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I was thinking that about the metal myself. One of things I like to do the most is conversions to personalize the figures, but metal will make that more irritating than fun. I don't suppose GW would ever release plastics for them, being detailed as they are. You can go guard for the main troops, can't you?

jaredburton on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I was thinking that about the metal myself. One of things I like to do the most is conversions to personalize the figures, but metal will make that more irritating than fun. I don't suppose GW would ever release plastics for them, being detailed as they are. You can go guard for the main troops, can't you?

You can have Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (which you can really just use the plastic cadians) and Inducted Imperial Guard platoons and tanks.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    How hard is it to build Grey Knights for Melee Combat? Maybe I can try that.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Grey Knights are expensive for what they do, much of being oriented for anti-psychic. Lots of people have trouble writing lists that deal with their low number of models (which are also metal, and thus about twice as expensive as plastic).

And I don't think you'd even listen to advice enough to make a good list.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1000 Points Army

My recipe for Cheesy Necrons at 1000 points has a Deceiver, Monolith, and the few Necrons you can squeeze in. Played right, it's surprisingly effective.

Edit: I suppose I should answer the question too. Yeah, you'd do alright with that. It might be a little bland, but it'll work.

until anyone with half a brain ignores the mono or deceiver and goes right for the sweet tasty metal men with a pie plate or some stealers

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, What about Chaos, then? Maybe Khorne isn't that smart (as I'm aware of their history of the army playing itself.) How would a general Word Bearers force geared for a lot of crunchy Melee combat be? like Raptors and a Melle-flavored Command group for the Lord/Sorcerer and such?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    1000 Points Army

until anyone with half a brain ignores the mono or deceiver and goes right for the sweet tasty metal men with a pie plate or some stealers

personally I'd shot the living bejezes out of the warriors with everything I have and make him phase out.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Damn it I can't edit. Well,

@claw. I still think you should look into orks. They are very forgiving and their unit selection allows for some awesome stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008

@claw. I still think you should look into orks. They are very forgiving and their unit selection allows for some awesome stuff.
    I kinda miss the idea of a "Command Squad" though, after trying to get Monstrous Creatures to work, I'm scared it'd be even harder to get a Bike Warboss to work.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    1000 Points Army

personally I'd shot the living bejezes out of the warriors with everything I have and make him phase out.

Definitely. The monolith and deciever alone add up to close to 600 points(a little more IIRC), and there is no rez orb in there. That leaves you with 20 warriors.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I kinda miss the idea of a "Command Squad" though, after trying to get Monstrous Creatures to work, I'm scared it'd be even harder to get a Bike Warboss to work.

Don't be. They get some nice saves, and get a cover save if they travel a certain distance. At least see if you can proxy a game or two with the orks. They are pretty simple. Basically you charge all your orks into the bad guys. The orks with guns shoot at stuff. The orks with bigger guns shoot at bigger things or things that you want to die. Even if you lose with orks, your orks should have done atleast ONE thing that was awesome during the game to make up for it.

To quote:
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we come back for annuver go, see!" -Commonly held Ork view of warfare.

If you just keep that in mind you can never "lose"!!:P

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    We should have a thread where Clawshrimpy writes up an army list for every army, we critique and offer alterations to them, and just watch how he interprets and dismisses it.

Chaos Marines with Khorne-devoted units could work well, as has been suggested before. Berzerkers no longer have to move or charge automatically, and there's no restrictions on what marks or marked units you can take, so there's room to freely pick a variety of stuff to compliment eachother.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    We should have a thread where Clawshrimpy writes up an army list for every army, we critique and offer alterations to them, and just watch how he interprets and dismisses it.

Chaos Marines with Khorne-devoted units could work well, as has been suggested before. Berzerkers no longer have to move or charge automatically, and there's no restrictions on what marks or marked units you can take, so there's room to freely pick a variety of stuff to compliment eachother.

new daemon book too

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well i suppose i should mention this: I got my May White Dwarf today, and on pages 10-11 it has a 2 page spread of Ultramarines and Necrons fighting, with "There is no time for peace. No respite. No forgiveness. There is only war" in the top right, and "A New Era Begins - July 2008" in the bottom right. I guess it is for sure then, 5th edition in July 2008.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Don't be. They get some nice saves, and get a cover save if they travel a certain distance. At least see if you can proxy a game or two with the orks. They are pretty simple. Basically you charge all your orks into the bad guys. The orks with guns shoot at stuff. The orks with bigger guns shoot at bigger things or things that you want to die. Even if you lose with orks, your orks should have done atleast ONE thing that was awesome during the game to make up for it.

To quote:
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we come back for annuver go, see!" -Commonly held Ork view of warfare.

If you just keep that in mind you can never "lose"!!:P

Do you have to take Warbikes, or can you still have your Warboss get stuck'in with his Boyz in a Wartrukk? I tried using bikes before when I was playing around with BA, and it wasn't pretty, now Ork Bikes could be better than SM bikes, but whatever.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

I don't know if I can read a thread where ever reply is so unrelentingly negative.

"Im worried about this, I don't like that..." jesus christ, get some Prozac and go outside for a while.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
This discussion has been closed.