As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

1575859606163»

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn it I can't edit. Well,

@claw. I still think you should look into orks. They are very forgiving and their unit selection allows for some awesome stuff.
    I kinda miss the idea of a "Command Squad" though, after trying to get Monstrous Creatures to work, I'm scared it'd be even harder to get a Bike Warboss to work.

Don't be. They get some nice saves, and get a cover save if they travel a certain distance. At least see if you can proxy a game or two with the orks. They are pretty simple. Basically you charge all your orks into the bad guys. The orks with guns shoot at stuff. The orks with bigger guns shoot at bigger things or things that you want to die. Even if you lose with orks, your orks should have done atleast ONE thing that was awesome during the game to make up for it.

To quote:
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we come back for annuver go, see!" -Commonly held Ork view of warfare.

If you just keep that in mind you can never "lose"!!:P

Do you have to take Warbikes, or can you still have your Warboss get stuck'in with his Boyz in a Wartrukk? I tried using bikes before when I was playing around with BA, and it wasn't pretty, now Ork Bikes could be better than SM bikes, but whatever.

Bosses can be on bikes, in trukks with boys (trukk can only hold 12 models) or on foot. By taking a Warboss as your HQ you can take a unit of meganobz or nobz (which are normally elite) as a troop choice. If you do that then I would recommend putting the nobz with the boss in a trukk or battlewagon

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn it I can't edit. Well,

@claw. I still think you should look into orks. They are very forgiving and their unit selection allows for some awesome stuff.
    I kinda miss the idea of a "Command Squad" though, after trying to get Monstrous Creatures to work, I'm scared it'd be even harder to get a Bike Warboss to work.

Don't be. They get some nice saves, and get a cover save if they travel a certain distance. At least see if you can proxy a game or two with the orks. They are pretty simple. Basically you charge all your orks into the bad guys. The orks with guns shoot at stuff. The orks with bigger guns shoot at bigger things or things that you want to die. Even if you lose with orks, your orks should have done atleast ONE thing that was awesome during the game to make up for it.

To quote:
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we come back for annuver go, see!" -Commonly held Ork view of warfare.

If you just keep that in mind you can never "lose"!!:P

Do you have to take Warbikes, or can you still have your Warboss get stuck'in with his Boyz in a Wartrukk? I tried using bikes before when I was playing around with BA, and it wasn't pretty, now Ork Bikes could be better than SM bikes, but whatever.

Bosses can be on bikes, in trukks with boys (trukk can only hold 12 models) or on foot. By taking a Warboss as your HQ you can take a unit of meganobz or nobz (which are normally elite) as a troop choice. If you do that then I would recommend putting the nobz with the boss in a trukk or battlewagon
    Allright, I'm gonna play with these 1,000 point of bugs for a while longer. if I get decimated again, and nobody at the LGS talks to me about helping me out TELL DA BOYZ DERES SOME KILLIN TA DO.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You're also not restricted in what Ork HQs you take anymore; you could have 2 Big Meks and take 2 Dreads as troops.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    You're also not restricted in what Ork HQs you take anymore; you could have 2 Big Meks and take 2 Dreads as troops.

Yup.

Gazghkull or a warboss allows nobs or meganobz at troops, Wadakka Gutsmek allows warbiker mobs to be troops and big meks allow deff dreads at troops. Obviously if you do something like take two warbosses, you could fill your troop requirement with two units of nobs.

If you are interested in Orks look here. There a lot of good information about units and tactics. I really have to stop reading that forum. Every time I look at a topic about using a particular unit I end up wanting that unit in my Ork army. Now I have to have MANz (Mega Armored Nobz) with a trukk in my list :(

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    1000 Points Army
    Necron Lord: 200 Points
    - Res Orb: 40 Points
    - Veil of Darkness: 60 Points
    Necron Warriors: 792 Points
    - 44 Necron Warriors: 18 Points each
    You're only as limited as you let yourself be. Amusingly, I did much the same thing for shrimpy after my necron suggestion as a lark, except I went with 1 unit of 20 warriors, 2x 10, and 4 scarabs with disruption fields. 41 3+ save models at 1000 points? Not bad, and those speedy little scarabs can go zipping about, chewing on vehicles, or tying up nasty things like devastator squads that are trying to shoot your manz.

You know, now that I actually think about this list, I'm kind of intrigued. Is a list like this actually anything close to competitive?

The main reason I'm so intrigued is that I could buy the starter set, a Necron Lord and a box of Warriors, and BAM! 1000pts for $130. Probably cheaper if I order it from elsewhere online. What's the average cost for a force?

My recipe for Cheesy Necrons at 1000 points has a Deceiver, Monolith, and the few Necrons you can squeeze in. Played right, it's surprisingly effective.

Edit: I suppose I should answer the question too. Yeah, you'd do alright with that. It might be a little bland, but it'll work.

until anyone with half a brain ignores the mono or deceiver and goes right for the sweet tasty metal men with a pie plate or some stealers

The Deceiver and Monolith both do a pretty good of keeping that from happening. I've played that list a few times, and what I'll normally do I stack everything on one side of the board, then use the Deceiver's deployment ability to move all my Warriors to the other side. Generally that gives them at least a turn or two to stay out of focus fire. If my opponent still spreads out his troops pretty evenly or there's a lot of heavy weaponry, I'll deep strike the Monolith by whatever needs killin' and pull some Warriors through in order to take it out before it gets too many shots off. The different fear powers the Deceiver has are also useful for harassing while he chugs along the board. It does have a lot of vulnerabilities, but it's nice to depart from the standard cookie-cutter lists. I've done pretty well with it all around regardless.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Archr5Archr5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yup.

Gazghkull or a warboss allows nobs or meganobz at troops, Wadakka Gutsmek allows warbiker mobs to be troops and big meks allow deff dreads at troops. Obviously if you do something like take two warbosses, you could fill your troop requirement with two units of nobs.

If you are interested in Orks look here. There a lot of good information about units and tactics. I really have to stop reading that forum. Every time I look at a topic about using a particular unit I end up wanting that unit in my Ork army. Now I have to have MANz (Mega Armored Nobz) with a trukk in my list :(

Seriously... i JUST started and i've got a battleforce + a Big Mek w/ boss pole + another box of boys...

And then i saw that the Big mek lets me use Deff Dreds as troop choices?! ugh now i gotta run a Mechanized Ork army.

I'm dreading the day they release Chaos Orks or some ungodly shit that i'll become obsessed with.

Archr5 on
    somalia_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    I just realized something. In 5th edition, if only troops can take objectives, what would stop someone from using the AC list and driving 4 Leman Russes that are troop selections in that list up to an objective and sitting them there?

Presumably nothing, but Russ' are extra vulnerable to H2H anti-tank units so driving up the board an then sitting there could be dangerous.

Good point. I just thought of it while looking at Raslin's AC list.

@Raslin. I'm looking at it buddy. Just give me a little bit. :P

I will be at work the next 5 hours, I expect to come back berated :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    We should have a thread where Clawshrimpy writes up an army list for every army, we critique and offer alterations to them, and just watch how he interprets and dismisses it.

Let's not.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.