As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

West Coast Train Trip 2008

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    At this rate. you guys should get your own dedicated car.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    It'd be pretty awesome if we all got the car that has the kiddy room.

Sort of a buffer for sound

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    hoeneyhoeney Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Can i get a count on how many PSPs are coming along? also what games you're bringing.

hoeney on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have Worms Open Warfare 2 for both the DS and the PSP. I also have the original Worms Open Warfare. And Bomberman.

That's it.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To my knowledge you and Squirminator are the only people admitting to owning a PSP and planning to bring it with you to PAX.

Anyone find it ironic we take over the car for kids but it is quickly turns into a 17+ crowd?

Edit:
    Lindygamer wrote: »
    Also I was thinking that perhaps this year we can designate certain areas of the train to specific genres. Such as the kiddie car to console gaming, the observation car for table top games (because it is the only area with tables), and DS games in the first coach car because there will be like 40 or so of us getting on in LA and we will all be put together. Either that or we can ask the attendants to let us use some of the other lower rooms.

I was trying to push for people to use the observation car for table top games last year as once it got crowded it got really hard to walk over people's playing cards and board games. The only problem I see with putting DS players in a coach car can be summed up in this graph
    fucking_blue_shells.png

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't recall saying I'd be bringing my PSP :lol:

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hoeney you better have a DS or you might be feeling a bit lonely...

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hoeneyhoeney Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    yea i have a DS too, but i hate playing it on the train. most of the games i like require the stylus. i also dislike mariokart DS. i don't suck at it, it's just a step backwards imo. plus there are some fantastic games on PSP that i'd like to play with other people. like metal gear solid: portable ops or DJ max portable.

hoeney on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We can designate the roof of the very back car as the PSP area.

You guys had better get super powerful-ass magnets so you don't fly off. Oh, and in case of bridge: duck. :)

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Anyone find it ironic we take over the car for kids but it is quickly turns into a 17+ crowd?

"GUYS, Amtrak's at the door, put your drinks down!"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a PSP and will probably bring it just to have my gaming potential maxed out.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How come I'm not on the list? :(

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    George Bush and/or Jack Thompson.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are you gonna try and join us this year Ctishman?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    nah, I gotta work, or I would :(

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, I'm curious about all this. If I somehow scrounge up the cash to, I'm thinking about going this year. How long does the train ride take? With all these people involved, it sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than taking a plane. The hardest parts are covering the costs for that and a hotel, hahaha.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Wow, I'm curious about all this. If I somehow scrounge up the cash to, I'm thinking about going this year. How long does the train ride take? With all these people involved, it sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than taking a plane. The hardest parts are covering the costs for that and a hotel, hahaha.

As someone who has gone to PAX via Planes, Trains, and Automobiles in the three years I've gone. Take the damned train. Sure it takes longer and costs more(Well, it used to, maybe not anymore given the rising gas prices) than driving its not as stressful, its cheaper than a plane, and more fun than either as you get to enjoy yourself. Its like an additional convention on the way to and from the convention. You can expect to be on the train for a good 36 hours or so given Amtrak's usual delays, but its an awesome 36 hours.

I'm still working on finding my way on the train again this year, I'm still unable to afford to go yet, but I've got a few months to scrounge up money myself and find a place to crash. So here's hoping I can join the awesome again this year.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You better fuckin' go Eelektrik.

That applies to you, too OtakuD00D. if you're not there, I will make signs and flyers mocking you, and have the people who DO ride the train print them and hand them out at stations.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

"GUYS, Amtrak's at the door, put your drinks down!"

Ha ha ha!

Good times, Good times.

Highfire on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    phamtq wrote: »
    I'd like to book my ticket this week. Anyone in the Portland train trip have the info on which train we're all taking?

I haven't heard very much from the PDX people. I don't recall the times it leaves PDX to SEA. I was shooting to get there in seattle around 3 pm.

From PDX to SEA on Thursday, August 28th these are the following times:

Train Departs Arrives
    500 Cascades 08:45 am 12:15 pm
    506 Cascades 12:15 pm 03:55 pm
    516 Cascades 02:50 pm 06:20 pm
    508 Cascades 06:15 pm 09:45 pm

I think we should get everyone's choice on when they want to go and figure out what's best for everyone. If you want to get there around 3 pm, I'd honestly take the 500 Cascades. There's about a 3 hour difference but Tte way people describe it, the train usually ends up late.

phamtq on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok. We all know that Smash Bros Brawl is probably going to be the most played console game on the train. Admit it. We can only play Rock Band for so long before the MAN (i.e. Amtrak) shuts that down.

I know about the friend code wiki and everything, but that community is a little excessively large for me. So I propose we start some friendly rivalries to settle on the train trip early. Here's my code:

3351-3751-2809

Be warned: I still suck horribly, but I have months to train and no life!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok. We all know that Smash Bros Brawl is probably going to be the most played console game on the train. Admit it. We can only play Rock Band for so long before the MAN (i.e. Amtrak) shuts that down.

I know about the friend code wiki and everything, but that community is a little excessively large for me. So I propose we start some friendly rivalries to settle on the train trip early. Here's my code:

3351-3751-2809

Yeah....

I'm sure there's a few(like me) that may want to play some CoD 4. I know I will not be the only one wanting to play before hand. Maybe have some rounds before PAX to see who will rock on the WCTT?

GT- HighfireMOD

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

3351-3751-2809

Yeah....

I'm sure there's a few(like me) that may want to play some CoD 4. I know I will not be the only one wanting to play before hand. Maybe have some rounds before PAX to see who will rock on the WCTT?

GT- HighfireMOD

You'd want to do CoD4 on single TV multiplayer? Okay... I don't get the appeal there, but whatever. Smash Bros. and Rock Band are going to be the games to play.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

3351-3751-2809

Yeah....

GT- HighfireMOD

You'd want to do CoD4 on single TV multiplayer? Okay... I don't get the appeal there, but whatever. Smash Bros. and Rock Band are going to be the games to play.

Well hopefully someone will bring a tv, or have a monitor that can be used.

Highfire on
  • Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My gamertag is sobjw. I'm down for some COD. It'd be cool to play some of you guys before we meet on the train.

Also my SSBM code is 4940-5094-8680. Not sure if you need the Wii code and the game code to play.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

3351-3751-2809

Yeah....

GT- HighfireMOD

Well hopefully someone will bring a tv, or have a monitor that can be used.

RCars said he was bringing his LCD monitor again(if he didn't we couldn't have a decent movie night) but that is probably gonna be taken over for Rock Band since the train TV is being used for Brawl.

In other words we could use some more TVs
    and a portable speaker system for Rock Band ;-)

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If we can scrounge up at least two tv's wii's and brawls, I think this trip'll be even better then the last.

Any good ideas on how to solve the problem of those benches in the kiddy cart? Whoever though up those was a torturous bastard.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I might be able to lug a TV down to the station. Will they let me bring it on board? It's like a 30" TV, and it's pretty bulky.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've got a portable speaker system I could bring. Maybe.

I dunno though. I don't trust you guys enough. :P

Plus, if you guys were getting noise complaints last year....well these things are fucking LOUD.

DStalefish on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Any good ideas on how to solve the problem of those benches in the kiddy cart? Whoever though up those was a torturous bastard.

Really cushy pillows to sit on.
    I might be able to lug a TV down to the station. Will they let me bring it on board? It's like a 30" TV, and it's pretty bulky.

As long it is small enough to count as carry on luggage they shouldn't have any problem. Amtrak size requirements pretty much let you bring a full sized suitcase, but double check to make sure it can fit. Of course I don't think the attendants at the station will notice or care that much.
    DStalefish wrote: »
    Plus, if you guys were getting noise complaints last year....well these things are fucking LOUD.

The noise complaints only came when the door was left open. When the door is closed it is pretty much a sound proof room.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If anybody wanted to get a group together to pitch in for cushions I'd be down.

I can imagine how uncomfortable those benches are from the photos. :P

DStalefish on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    If anybody wanted to get a group together to pitch in for cushions I'd be down.

I can imagine how uncomfortable those benches are from the photos. :P

Yeah, try sleeping on the floor in there like I did on the way up... Only place that had a power outlet for my CPAP machine.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    DoshinDoshin Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    I'm in +1, me and my friend are going to bus/train from phoenix and then take the party train up to seattle. I was sad i missed the supertrip caravan a few years back but this sounds infinately cooler.

Doshin on
  • Options
    AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh my God. The planning train is leaving without me.

It's George, the train commissar. I've been doing contract technical work (under an NDA, can't discuss) for the past... six or seven months. Almost immediately after PAX. Pay is top notch but it's taken all my time (80 hour work weeks, one day I put in a 22 hour shift... oh God). Hence, I dropped off the face of the earth.

Well, I'm back now. Someone point me to the planning commission. And of course, add me to the list. On at LAX.

EDIT: I can offer free room and board in Seattle for whatever command staff helps plan the events and brings vital gear. My best friend is moving up there in a few weeks. For those of you who remember me and my blather, he was the army vet I was gonna have be a bouncer to guard our booze. Tribble is his name, and he's also a nerd and a PA fan. He's actually going to make a special trip down to come with the trip back up AND down again, and he's buying a house in Seattle.

EDIT 2: Almost forgot. I may also bring a retinue of three people who wanted to go to PAX and play command staff to me (counting my friend the army vet), so for now throw another three down on the list.

EDIT 3: After reviewing the thread I realized it was time to get serious.

- MASS RESERVATIONS: I'll be setting up a Paypal account to perform a mass reservation with Amtrak for that group discount. Veterans of last year's trip can testify to my trustworthiness, but if you don't want to give your moneys to Mr. Internet I not only understand but agree.
    - THE COMMISSAR IS BRINGING THE KGB WITH HIM: I already have two people I know for sure will be coming with me to serve as command staff - a bouncer (see: grizzled army vet with PTSD and an anger problem) and a gopher. I need a techical staffer (to oversee wireless) and a contest runner (I'm thinking a SSBM tourney).
    - WE DON'T NEED A MILLION WIIS AND ROCKBANDS AND XBOXES AND PS3s. What do we need?
    - WHAT WE REALLY NEED ARE: Power strips, extension cords, ethernet cables, and small portable fans to cool off the kiddie car. If you are unsure of what to bring then just grab any portable personal systems you have (DS, PSP, Atari Lynx, I don't fucking care as long as it's yours) and any spare power strips and extension cords that you have available. If you weren't planning on going to BYOC, don't bring your tower and monitor unless you have some tiny ass LAN rig and a small monitor (in that case we now have a TF2 server :D). If you have a laptop, bring it if you're going to use it - and if you think you'd rather not carouse with your fellow gamers but instead be your usual antisocial self-diagnosed-Aspergers self, go find a copy of Faith No More's "As the Worm Turns" and listen to it until you kill yourse- uhh, I mean, change your mind.
    - SMASH BROS. BRAWL - SNAKE? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAKE! : There will be a Smash Bros. Brawl tourney. I will have a prize for the winner and it will NOT SUCK. This is not going to be UHF's Mystery Box. P.S. Fuck the Shock Mouse.
    - WE REQUIRE: More minerals. Two television sets, preferrably lightweight and easy to carry - one for the kiddie room and one for the Obs Deck at night. Two ice chests filled with ice and a minifridge - this is for booze. AT MOST, two Wiis, two XBoxes, two PS3s. Two to three wireless routers and a hub. CAT5 cables, preferrably in the 50 foot range. At least six power strips. A security locker (at night, we can lock up some of the goods). That full set of classic SNES games. The card game Curses (AW FUK DIS SHIT). Personal spread of games (everyone can get in on the action here - throw your fave multiplayer games in a CD wallet and keep it in your carryon).
    - I MYSELF WILL BE BRINGING: A security guard, a personal retainer to help me run errands, one of the two ice chests, an XBox with a Rock Band rig, a small array of power cables, some Newcastle beer and booze, prizes (not saying what), a small but loud Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound system, and a full spread of all D&D 4.0 books (I will offer to run a campaign on the first night to introduce newbs to D&D, a few hours after dinner).
    - KNOW YOUR FOE: The reason I'm bringing a bouncer is because of moochers. Look, we're having a kickass party on the train with video games, rock n' roll, and drugs. All we need now is some whores, right? Wrong. I let my guard down because I had heard stories of train sex before. Also, many of us wanted to be nice and let others in on the fun. Don't. Don't let people rob us or drink our booze. Wear your lanyard as if you were in the con. If you don't have a lanyard and you foolishly didn't prereg, introduce yourself around and let others get to know you. Remember, if you have to ask someone if they're heading for PAX, they may not be. It's sad we have to do this, but anyone remember Train Bitch in the obs car? Or as previously discussed in the thread, Ms. Screaming Cheep Cheep? Yes we want to be nice, but no, we shouldn't be stupid. The commissar isn't asking for a pogrom here, but in the words of Beck, "everyone's out ta getcha mothafucka."

Take care of yourself, and each other.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Welcome to the planning commission! Here's your fedora.

fedora.png

EDITED BY ORDER OF THE PARTY: Augustus has been promoted to Commissar, and all orders must be cosigned before execution. Gamers of the world, Unite!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Updated my post above.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Augustus wrote: »
    ...and if you think you'd rather not carouse with your fellow gamers but instead be your usual antisocial self-diagnosed-Aspergers self, go find a copy of Faith No More's "As the Worm Turns" and listen to it until you kill yourse- uhh, I mean, change your mind.

You are an evil evil person for suggesting people listen to Mosely-era FNM... Thats just wrong on so many levels.

But damn, when you take charge, you really go all out. Especially now that you know you will be in a position of leadership prior to leaving rather than having it thrust on you on the train. Keep up the good work.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    HEY, I actually LIKE Mosely-era FNM.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Just a reminder but if you do go and bring shit like what Augustus says (like a smart person would) PM so I can add it to the bigass list of stuff and make it bigger.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Damn straight. Looks like we're putting the band back together for another tour.

EDIT: Hey CTish, I'm styled as "Commissar", not "On-train coordinator". I'm considering even getting the appropriate garments and modding a Nerf gun to look like a PPSh (or I would, damn TSA moving in on our trains).

YET ANOTHER GODDAMNED EDIT: I took classes in First Aid/CPR and am certified by the Red Cross as a first responder. My bouncer is, too. We can boast that the WCTT08 has standby medical personnel!

AND ANOTHER EDIT: I'm starting the next thread for this once it hits around 20 pages. For now I'm going to compile all the data. TNTTrooper and any one else from last year who worked with me or ran stuff (you know who you are), PM me - I want the next thread to be the definitive thread. This shit just got real. Word.

Augustus on
This discussion has been closed.