As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    AoB, this might sound like a silly question, but how do you go about designing an abstract bg like that? Sometimes doing one that I feel satisfied with takes me longer then rendering the actual figure

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Her boob looks like a giant drop of chocolate syrup coming out of her suit.

Tam on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bacon: I think you have a strong understanding of light and color, but I feel like its being held back by your drawing ability. You're not bad at drawing by any means, but you are at point where it is actually your weakest area.

Sublimus on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Bacon: I think you have a strong understanding of light and color, but I feel like its being held back by your drawing ability. You're not bad at drawing by any means, but you are at point where it is actually your weakest area.

You're right, and thanks for calling me on it.

Going to start going to some open life drawing sessions after work to try to rectify my laziness.

Mykonos: Um...I throw shit down until I think it looks ok? I don't really have any kind of overarching philosophy or thought process behind it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    super hero for a literary journal:
    superheroinks.png

beavotron on
  • Mr DaveMr Dave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    spritesa4.gif
    also that deathrace 2000 trailer ruined the twist of frankenstein's face not actually being disfigured.

Mr Dave on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wizard Oil. Making wizards everywhere glisten.

fizzyposeaf8.jpg

nakirush on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    beavotron, mr dave - very, very cool.

---

weird.jpg

F87 on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dave: those are pretty awesome. Though I was lookin really hard to find a skull in that explosion.

wakkawa on
    edited May 2008
    f87 that thing is cool as hell

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • zacharyzachary Creative Developer Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Angel of Bacon,

I present to you a Bacon Angel:

Bacon%20Angel.png

For a doodle thread, most of you far surpass the stuff I draw with pen in the margins of my notebooks... maybe "talented ass artists thread" would be a better title.

zachary on
    edited May 2008
    update: haven't gotten a chance to work on this lately, and i'm still trying to figure out Corel Painter, but I'm starting to become a full convert. Lots of work to be done still, but I'm still suffering through finals

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Myk, I love what you're doing with the hair/cloth.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mykonos: In my opinion this stuff is looking a lot better than your older stuff and also the blond hair looks better than the hair you had before

i've never tried painter but i'd like to give it a go

sharky t on
    edited May 2008
    Agreed. I think flatting out your colors is working well for you, Myk.

In other news, I will never finish anything, ever.

beastriderdesert.jpg

skullrider.jpg

Tam on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    That's it Tam, you're outta the band!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    Fuck it, you were holding me back anyway, man.

Tam on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    In other news, those beasties are really rad.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    thanks for comments guys. Yeah, i'm definitely glad I got into painter. It's way of approach definitely suits my style which I've been trying too hard to enforce in photoshop.

Sharky if your intrested you can get yourself a full free trial. 30 days is more than enough time to figure things out and see if its for you.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    img063.jpg

...yep.

melting_doll on
    edited May 2008
    Why are you so great, MD.

Hey guys, I really can't finish anything abloobloobloo.

horseyay.jpg

Tam on
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just started doodling around recently and took a liking to a scene from The Dark Knight trailer...

noirjokerkg6.th.jpg

I'm not sure if I really like it or not... feedback would be awesome.

Veldrin on
    edited May 2008
    Hey guys, I was hoping before i move onward to further blending and refinement if i could get a spot check on anatomy and porportions. If anything seems out of wack please call me out on it.

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can dig it Myk.

I need help too. Any comments?

FlatForYou.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nothing stands out to me Myk, looking forward to seeing the finished result on that one.

Mustang on
  • OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Needed a miniature for a Dungeons and Dragons game I'm playing, so I decided to custom make one. It's done with sculpey and acrylic paint

mini_scale.jpg

360 view can be found Here

---

More of a question now, It's very rough looking, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how how to smooth baked sculpy out next time I make one? It's too small to use sandpaper and I was wondering if theres a technique for doing this.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • TheToxicAvengerTheToxicAvenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is my first post here after lurking for a while. I just started sculpting again after a long time and if your problem is the roughness of the actual clay, a great solution is a paint brush coated with 90% alcohol.

It's really easy to find at any place with cosmetic supplies and it costs about a 1/3rd of the price of the sculpy solvent crap they sell.

If the roughness is created by the paint job then I've got nothing for you sir. Hope I helped.

TheToxicAvenger on
  • OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks! I'll have to try that on the next one I make. Yeah its the actually sculp that was rough, painting over it really brought it out more.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think this is as done as it will get.

FlatForYouFinal.jpg

NeoRedXIII on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Meeting drawrin'.
    zombie_1_sm.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pharkin hell....my meeting drawings are less than abrasive toilet paper in comparison.

Mustang on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just redid my website. Comments? Crits?

http://wsmisch.com

On the homepage Im going to put my contact info. But other than that I think Im done.

Sublimus on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Meeting drawrin'.
    BRAAAAAAINS[IMG][/img]

Your boss, right? I love meetings where I can draw, it's like corporate sponsored art class.

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008

On the homepage Im going to put my contact info. But other than that I think Im done.

Are the people likely to look at your website on dial-up? Because if not, I'd say there's no reason to use that selective thumbnail gallery approach. The less faffing around people need to do to see your work, the better, and faffing includes trying to guess what the hell a 50x50 pixel box of lines and gradients is going to be, and then being dissapointed when it's not that cool thing they saw on your website before and now they can't find it because you've hidden it in annoying little thumbnails!

So, I have a thing against those thumbnail gallery things.

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008

It's pretty simple and slick, but you may want to consider adding more info (maybe even just a name for each piece, or dates, etc). Also, a nice rollover effect (font change, color change, etc) for the links may just give it a slightly greater sense of interactivity.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    edited May 2008

Are the people likely to look at your website on dial-up? Because if not, I'd say there's no reason to use that selective thumbnail gallery approach. The less faffing around people need to do to see your work, the better, and faffing includes trying to guess what the hell a 50x50 pixel box of lines and gradients is going to be, and then being dissapointed when it's not that cool thing they saw on your website before and now they can't find it because you've hidden it in annoying little thumbnails!

Don't listen to this (no offense desperate :P).

Thumbs = less scrolling, more user control, 56k friendly, cleaner layout.

Most viewers like being able to pick and choose, and don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of larger images of varying sizes.

*edit*

And sorry for the double post.

Heartlash on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This came out completely unexpectedly when I fired up an old PSD with a rough layout sketch and started seeing what I could do with it.

I'm not sure how much further I'm gonna try to take this. I can already feel myself butting my head against the limits of my current capabilities while working on it.

assassin2.jpg

Scosglen on
    edited May 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »

Don't listen to this (no offense desperate :P).

Thumbs = less scrolling, more user control, 56k friendly, cleaner layout.

Most viewers like being able to pick and choose, and don't want to have to scroll through a bunch of larger images of varying sizes.

*edit*

And sorry for the double post.

Discarding ambiguously cropped thumbnails doesn't preclude a clean layout, control or less scrolling, but it may require more thought on behalf of the web designer. Don't arbitrarily choose to do something if it doesn't serve your purposes as well as it could. Fuck 56k if your clients won't be using it.

desperaterobots on
  • misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuck 56k if your clients won't be using it.

I agree.

Honestly, who uses 56k these days? Even my Grandma is on Broadband.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.