As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh god, please help... reformatting issues...

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
I was reformatting my computer last night and a shit load of files were missing from my disk for some reason. It got stuck on the installation screen, where it says "Time Left" and it's installing all the hardware. So I went out and got a new copy of Windows XP Pro. I put the disk in my CD-rom and turn the computer on... I don't get "Press Any Key to boot from a CD" It's just a blinking dash and if I press space enough, it brings me to a hardware profile selection screen... No matter what I do, it goes back to the setup screen...

What do I do? :(

Regicid3 on

• Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This will sound stupid, but are you sure you have the CD correctly setup in your boot sequence in the BIOS? Sounds like it's trying to boot from the hard disk of a borked install.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, I've got it on top of the priority list... :(

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What happens if you take your hard disk out from the boot sequence completely?

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It says "Operating System Not Found"... I figured it out though, I put in the old disk and was able to get the "Press Any Key" prompt so I took that oppurtunity to delete the partition and get Windows completely off of my hard drive. When I tried to put the new disk in, it still didn't work. I'll just have to get a new Windows XP Pro disk at Target or... something...

Thanks, Shujaa.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like the install disk might be borked, why not try the same disc in another computer, if there is on that is.

Aretè on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like your install disc wasn't setup as a bootable disc.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm posting on my computer now, I finally got a working disk. I think my PSU is going though, my computer randomly shut off a few times while installing... I hope it lasts for a while, I put a fan right on my tower... D:

Thanks for the good fellowship.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, I'm not qualified to be giving advice but I know during my Vista install the computer was supposed to randomly shut off a few times. I don't remember this warning during XP installation, but maybe you can look into the power supply issue a little more.

splash on