Options

An Illustrated (Truncated) History of Horror Gaming [NSF56K]

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    The bloodpath scene in MAx Payne... Not scary but freaky.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

What the hell is this, that's twice tonight I've agreed with you on something. Gravity to invert tomorrow.

I really liked the bits where Max Payne went all weird and messed up on you (which is why I'm really looking forward to Alan Wake).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

What the hell is this, that's twice tonight I've agreed with you on something. Gravity to invert tomorrow.

I really liked the bits where Max Payne went all weird and messed up on you (which is why I'm really looking forward to Alan Wake).

Why? What else did you agree with me on? I need to go prtscrn it and frame it.

Max Payne was really good at doing the drug trips and mental breakdowns. Really good.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "The truth was a burning green crack through my brain. Weapon statistics hanging in the air, glimpsed out of the corner of my eye. Endless repetition of the act of shooting, time slowing down to show off my moves. The paranoid feel of someone controlling my every step. I was in a computer game. Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of."

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [stuff]

Can I just say, well done that man. That's exactly how I feel about both the games. I don't think any game since the first one has captured the terror of the marine campaign. As you said, why it worked so well is because you always knew the aliens were out there... *somewhere*. You could never stop anywhere and feel safe. In the second one (and most other games in general) you knew if nothing was attacking you at that very moment, you were pretty much safe.

Think of most modern shooters... you trigger a scripted sequence, people attack you. After you kill them all, I bet you could just leave it running, make a cup of tea (yes, I am British :P), drink it, and then come back - you'd still be alive. This was *very* unlikely in AVP1!

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »
    Too bad we didn't get Siren 2. I assume it would fix the problems with the first one, including the stupid as hell Brit accents for the localization.

Edit: Also Haunting Ground is pretty creepy. It's like Clock Tower except not point and click and you have a dog. And speaking of dogs there was that other horror game. I forget the title but it had a bunch of little girls as the main characters.

I think it was called Rule of Rose and I heard terrible things.

Actually, Siren 2 and Rule of Rose are two different games. The United States never got Siren 2.

Here's the wiki page on it.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hoho!

no mention of the Chzo Mythos

screen4.gif

Though I'd say if you want scary go for the first 2, Trilby's Notes and 6 days a sacrifice kinda get bogged down by the stupid twist the story takes, though Trilby's notes was gruesomely terrifying at times

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Cold Fear

Did anyone in the entire world even play this? I don't think I've heard anyone comment on it, ever.

While it wasnt groundbreaking I thought it was really fun. It probably helped that I played it before RE4.

And while the controls suck I would recommend the PC/Playstation/Dreamcast Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1021237699-00.jpg
    haunt.jpg
    clive_barker_s_undying_023.jpg
    wiki wrote:
    The game begins in 1923 , after World War I veteran Patrick Galloway receives an urgent letter from his friend Jeremiah Covenant. Covenant, well aware of Galloway's reputation for dealing with occult matters, is in failing health and raves about a curse that has destroyed his entire family. Galloway travels to the Covenant estate on the coast of Ireland to visit his friend, who relates an outlandish tale of supernatural terrors.

Jeremiah Covenant is one of five children, along with his siblings Ambrose, Lizbeth, and twins Aaron and Bethany. As children, the Covenants found a strange occult book in their father's library and performed a ritual found within at an ancient set of standing stones located on their family's extensive estate. This seemingly childish game brought the wrath of evil forces upon the family. After reaching adulthood, the Covenants fell one by one into madness and then death, eventually leaving Jeremiah as the only survivor. The power of the curse, however, has reanimated his fallen brothers and sisters as monsters of pure evil; they have been haunting Jeremiah and he fears that he will soon follow where they have gone.

Galloway decides to honor his friend's wishes by trying to stop whatever was set in motion long ago at the ancient stones where the ritual was performed. Through the Covenants' journals and Galloway's own memories, the player learns more about the nature of the curse and the creature behind it: The Undying King, a powerful demonic presence threatening to destroy the reality we inhabit.

While attempting to prevent the Undying King from entering our world, Patrick must face off against the four undead Covenant siblings as well as Otto Keisinger, an evil rival who simply wants to gain power from the demonic forces.

It was mentioned but I think it deserves a description and some screens.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    System Shock 2 was so scary, so very scary.

I remember being like 'What's all this fuss about?' and playing it on a friends PC which was at the time more powerful than mine, and as soon as I met those guys with the spanners/bits of pole I was like OMGWTFHELP!! and they really did scare me.

"Your song is not ours..."

"Kill meeeee......."

*shudders*

:(

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Screens of undying you say?

undyingtopxj1.jpg

You are some hapless Scotsman with semi magical powers, you have been invited to a house of an old war buddy. He has 4 siblings. But they are dead. Simple, right? Nope. They also have personal interactions with each other, like real siblings. This is done through journals, and character cut scenes, all of which are really well written.

intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9BkbDHUNPY&feature=related

gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5qDLKJIAw&feature=related

Ambrose: The Black Sheep
    ambrose2ru0.jpg
    Hes not really that scary, but he is definitively the "older yet middle brother" Hes a rebel and a pirate.

Bethany: The Earth Witch
    bethanyhrfltnyy2.jpg
    She is batshit insane and really loved to fuck with Aaron with her magics... which explains...

Aaron: The Artist
    aaroncorporealzc0.jpg
    AS THE BONDS OF FLESH ARE BROKEN THE WORLD BECOMES APPARENT!
    aaronrevenantqr7.jpg
    He is by far the most fucked up, most annoying and terrifying one.

Bethany: The Socialite
    hortonlizbethol0.jpg
    Demon whore, used to be a regular whore.

Jeremiah: The Eldest
    (cant find a pic)
    Hapless cripple, war buddy of the main character. You need to figure out what happened to his family

clivebarkersundying023wr6.jpg
    Ahhhhh family, loving family
    undying21024x768uh9.jpg

Barcardi on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Although it was never released, it is in the history of horror gaming.

Resident Evil 1.5 Video

"Resident Evil 2 began development in 1996 shortly after the original game and was originally scheduled for a March 1997 release.[citation needed] However, as the game was approaching its release date, the developers were dissatisfied with the resulting product. Rather than releasing a game they were unhappy with, the developers took the risk of developing the game again from scratch. This scrapped version of the game was later dubbed Resident Evil 1.5 by Capcom. This prototype version of the game starred Leon S. Kennedy from the finished game and Elza Walker, a prototype of Claire Redfield. Like Claire Redfield, Elza was a motorcyclist and college student, with the only difference being her appearance and the fact that Elza had no ties to any established character from the previous games. Other supporting characters from the released game also appeared in Resident Evil 1.5. For example, Marvin Branagh, a minor character who gets killed off early in Resident Evil 2 played a major role in the prototype, helping Leon and Ada escape. The settings of the game were also significantly changed, with the police station in the original prototype having a more contemporary design."

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, four pages without mention of the Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines OCEAN HOUSE? For shame. The game on the whole isn't that scary (except for the werewolf, Jesus Christ on a cracker) but the "Ocean House" has some genuinely creepy moments.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On the matter of Bioshock:
    I think that this game had a few Oh dear Jesus help me moments.

Like in the medical pavillion where you see the shadow of the doctor then the lights go out. I was just waiting for him to pop out, when he did it was still a shock.

Also in the Medical Pavillion in the mist room where you look around after the first one and there's nothing there, then the next time I just kept doing whatever it was I was doing, I then look around to stare face to face with him. Does anyone know if he does anything if you don't look at him?

When you get the shotgun and the lights go out is also a frightastic moment.

Any time with spider splicers. Ever.

Did anyone else notice the assorted statues when hit would spew blood?!

Xtarath on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RE: Resident Evil 1.5

http://www.survivhor.com/ is the best website ever, it has tons of pics from beta and scrapped RE games. Unfortunately most of the text is in french

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember Ocean House! That whole section was pretty creepy, yeah. It sorta reminded me of the penultimate act in Silent Hill 2, what with...
    the way that the burning hotel ended up switching to a charred, empty shell as you found the pendant, I think it was?

Some great games mentioned in here, but I must say that I picked up The Thing (X-box version, I thought it'd be prettier than the PS2), and I found that it hadn't aged well. The intro tutorials were horribly clunky, too. That game had some really nice ideas, but from replaying some of it today, and from my memories of playing it aaaages ago, it did turn into a generic third-person shooter that wasn't quite saved by the interesting elements.

This thread really is making me want to go hunting for some of the gems that I missed first time around.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Barcardi, undying looks very interesting, might have to give it a go if it'll work on Vista. I like Barker's story but he lets them get attached to some rough games sometimes (Jerich for one which is kinda like Painkiller without the insane weaponry to compensate for all the repeat killing you'll have to do).

Though his monsters in this undying look kinda lame considering his back catalog.

As for the Thing. It was billed as a trust building game where your allies could be infected and turn on you at any time. That was THE gimmick of the entire game and it was entirely forged.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    okladka-640.jpg

178.jpg

The game's atmosphere is just so damn unsettling.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never understood why people think Undying is scary. Yes, it does start out really well, and up until Lizbeth it establishes a great atmosphere. But after that it devolves into monks, pirates and cavemen. I like the game, but I thought it lost its horror focus fairly quickly.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    kingmeh123kingmeh123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Though no game was as scary as Hugo's House of Horrors

Game-Hugo1-1.png

Yes! I used to love this game as a kid, though I enjoyed the third game in the series (Jungle of Doom) more, because I could actually figure out how to reach the end (although I was always a bit afraid of doing so, because that meant confronting the giant disembodied goblin head thing in the cave). As for actual scariness though, the fourth Hugo game (which was a Wolfenstein clone instead of an adventure game), Nitemare 3D, was terrifying. Or at least I remember it being when I was around 6 years old.

kingmeh123 on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Esh wrote: »

Second that one.

Also for Sanitarium down there. Not the best or more original gameplay in either of them, but still creepy, polished and well written as hell.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alien Resurrection was fantastic. Looked incredible and the atmosphere was insane. There tonnes of moments where you'd hear something only to find nothing there.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Vytae wrote: »
    I was getting ready to flame this thread to hell for not having a Clive Barkers Undying reference but lucky someone above mentioned it.

I can only guess that the OP never played it,because thats some seriously freaky (and cool) shit.

Did you not read the very first paragraph?

Also I have only played the demo of Undying, but it was creepy as fuck. Especially the paintings.

There were quite a few parts in the Mansion of Madness level in TimeSplitters 3 that are suitably creepy. And then immediately afterward the What Lies Beneath level has a few scares as well. Those two levels were ridiculously atmospheric. I think a lot of it was the music.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    okladka-640.jpg

178.jpg

The game's atmosphere is just so damn unsettling.

I was going top throw a hissy-fit thinking this was not mentioned. I was never one for PC gaming but this is one of the most engrossing, atmospheric, chilling games I've ever come across. There's the suspenseful stuff where you're slowly treading through tunnels waiting for something to appear. And then theres the 'AAAARGHBLARGHAGHRGHAJKLALKDSJK" moments when the fucking telepathic creeper or whatever the fuck it's called appears. I seriously shrieked the first three times it happened :(

edit: HEY! I stilll have my pics from my playthrough. This doesn't looks scary, but believe me when I say that it'll rattle even the hardened gamers out there.
    ss_israrkhan_10-28-07_00-35-32_l01_.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not to mention the fact that the locations you are seeing actually exist in the real world.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    hoho!

no mention of the Chzo Mythos

screen4.gif

Though I'd say if you want scary go for the first 2, Trilby's Notes and 6 days a sacrifice kinda get bogged down by the stupid twist the story takes, though Trilby's notes was gruesomely terrifying at times
    I was JUST about to mention those halfway through reading page 3 of this.
    That's a great series of games but 6 Days is feeling a little bit tired. Have to admit though, 7 Days was the scariest to me next to Trilby's Notes.

Especially with the certain tall man hanging around.

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    ObsCure [PS2, PC] - 2005

Each student has a special ability that will make certain sections of the game a little easier. While every character can do everything, the characters who have a talent for something can do it quicker. The jock can run faster and punch harder than everyone else, the guy from the school newspaper is good at finding clues, and the black kid can pick locks and break into rooms (I'm serious), that sort of thing.

What? The only black kid in the game is that girl in your screenshot, and her ability is a "special double attack" or something. The lockpicking kid is a white guy who looks like Josh Hartnett.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Isorn wrote: »
    AvP2_box.jpg

Playing this game as marine. D:

I sadly never got the first game to run properly on my computer.

Holy crap that is so true. The motion sensor ran on f'en batteries!

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Jandaru wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    ObsCure [PS2, PC] - 2005

Each student has a special ability that will make certain sections of the game a little easier. While every character can do everything, the characters who have a talent for something can do it quicker. The jock can run faster and punch harder than everyone else, the guy from the school newspaper is good at finding clues, and the black kid can pick locks and break into rooms (I'm serious), that sort of thing.

What? The only black kid in the game is that girl in your screenshot, and her ability is a "special double attack" or something. The lockpicking kid is a white guy who looks like Josh Hartnett.

For some reason I remember the stoner lockpicking kid to be black, because my friend and I who were playing were making jokes at the game's racial (and other) stereotypes.

I looked up character bios to double check, and you're right.

Fixed, at any rate.

Einhander on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Why? What else did you agree with me on? I need to go prtscrn it and frame it.

Max Payne was really good at doing the drug trips and mental breakdowns. Really good.

Something you said in the Dead Space thread. I'm actually a little scared, now.
    Speaking of which, Dead Space could potentially be a good contributor to this thread later in the year.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I never understood why people think Undying is scary. Yes, it does start out really well, and up until Lizbeth it establishes a great atmosphere. But after that it devolves into monks, pirates and cavemen. I like the game, but I thought it lost its horror focus fairly quickly.

I agree to a point

It was not scary in the pirates and caveman areas, but the other ones were insane, especially the general main house with Aaron

But this reminds me, there was a fps like this but on the old doom engine that was very much like Undying, but older. It was also far better. What was its name?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh yea, and i know people might knock it, but:

Shivers
    250px-Shivers.gif

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream.

Makes Shodan and HAL look well adjusted.

No, I won't say anything else about it.

Oh God. That game was scary as fuck.
    Quoted from Wikipedia,
    Co-designed by Ellison and published by Cyberdreams in 1995, the game was a unique, mind-bending work of interactive fiction with provocative psychological and ethical themes. Woven into the fabric of the story were profound ethical dilemmas dealing with emotionally charged issues including the horrors of insanity, selfishness, rape, racism, paranoia, genocide, and the dark rivers of human emotion that surge beneath the civilized surface of us all.

However; I thought the book was much scarier, especially the ending.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No dinosaur game I've played has nailed the oh, shit, a hungry dinosaur, RUN! moments as well as King Kong. And for much of the game, you're fending them off with spears and splintered bones.

One of the tyrannosaur chases, doubling back through some stone arches to buy time, reminded me of a childhood nightmare.

Also, I've had Clock Tower 3 for a year and haven't played it yet. Saving it for when I have some vacation time and can afford to miss an entire night's sleep.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There was this sort of horror-ish murder mystery adventure that reminded me of Indigo Prophecy for the PC. It was about this female cop who had to find a killer, and it involved some paintings or something. Her father was involved, and you had flashbacks to his side of the story. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream.

Makes Shodan and HAL look well adjusted.

No, I won't say anything else about it.

I only felt genuine pain two times on my entire life while playing games..when the characters of I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream were hurt and when the Zombies from Half Life 2 screamed from being lit on fire..

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    still Life. I thought it sucked but then I hate fixed cameras.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    I think Condemmed is the scariest game I've ever played, I had to turn the brightness up in game cos I'm a wuss :P will get the sequal for sure!

Gotta agree. It took me forever to get through the game because I could only play about a half an hour at a time.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aren't there any handheld horror titles? I can't think of any but there must have been one or two at least, right? Dementium: The Ward - was that one scary? Parsley Woods from Warioland had ghosts...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Aren't there any handheld horror titles? I can't think of any but there must have been one or two at least, right? Dementium: The Ward - was that one scary? Parsley Woods from Warioland had ghosts...

Resident Evil and Silent Hill are two more.

Couscous on