Options

An Illustrated (Truncated) History of Horror Gaming [NSF56K]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I remember right, the Silent Hill game on the GBA was a text adventure of some kind.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If I remember right, the Silent Hill game on the GBA was a text adventure of some kind.

There is the PSP Silent Hill game. The GBA one is called Silent Hill Play Novel.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    bioshock1.jpg

The only image I could find.

Ugh

Thanks, I was almost used to sleeping again D:

Green on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, The Thing could've been so good but turned out so very, very bad. The whole "trust" mechanic was cool, but using the hypo to find out if someone was a monster ended up being just stupid. When you have three guys simultaneously change into monsters after you checked the new guy not two minutes ago, it's pretty easy to see that the changes are often scripted. That pretty much destroyed all the suspense for me in that game.

Playing as the Marine in AvP2 is both terrifying and liberating. Terrifying because the books and movies build up the Aliens and Predators as these unstoppable killing machines, but liberating once you realize that the right firepower and making human, smart decisions (not stupid choices like the ones that fill the books to try and force suspense or fear) really evens things out. Those Praetorian aliens may think they're tough suckers, but a chain gun full of armor-piercing rounds argues otherwise. And the chain gun argues a lot faster. Plus, backing out of a hive with aliens coming out of the walls with the Smart Gun chewing them to pieces instantly is nothing short of exhilarating. You can keep you acid blood and cloaking devices; I'll stick with good old death-spewing monster-eating machine guns.

I loved Bioshock, but I found pretty much all the scares to be almost 100% predictable for when and where they would occur. System Shock 2 was much more disturbing since the enemies wandered around groaning, but were otherwise totally silent.

And Condemned... well, let's just say that I think any game that stays dark pretty much the entire time is a stupid game (it doesn't mean it is a stupid game, it just means that I find constant, near-total darkness in a FPS to be a very contrived way to try and force suspense. I know a lot of people like the game and I respect their opinion). So I turned up the brightness so I could actually see things, which was a waste of time since the enemies jumped out fairly predictably there, too. The way you end up killing the boss at the end is horrifyingly gruesome, though, no doubt about that.

I remember renting Dino Crisis years ago and only playing it for a few hours. Part of it was because I simply was not accustomed to such clunky controls for trying to shoot anything , but mostly it was because I hated how you would know there's a raptor standing just down the hall and one screen over, but it would still jump all over your face anyway. Made me jump every time and it happened to me far, far too many times for how much I played it. There needs to be a law that if raptors get to be ridiculously smart death machines, I get to be in a tank. A tank with doorknobs instead of door handles for the hatch.

And hats off to the Silent Hill games. I didn't enjoy them (just too slow for my tastes), but excellent examples of how showing almost nothing is far more terrifying than showing everything.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Will no one give my trip to Silent Hill the love it deserves?"
    silent_hill3_08.jpg

As much as I absolutely love Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3 bests it in my eyes. SH3 has a great direct link to SH1, facial animation that is still incredible, lots of unlockable skins if you're into that kind of thing (I am), and the most intense "otherworld" in the series.

Plus:
    Generally in the series; the main character will hear the alarm and "wake up" in the "otherworld". There is a scene in SH3 in a bathroom where you actually see the otherworld breakthrough into Heather's reality. The walls spider-vein, the walls fade to red and rust, and the room pulses with the coming evil. It's an awesome, awesome effect.

There's one scripted event right in the beginning that always gets me.
    You're in the subway, if I'm not confusing it with SH4, it's where you get the shotgun. You start to head back towards the stairs you came in from, and sitting there is a giant hulking mass of flesh. Just out of nowhere.
    I haven't played.. a lot of these games. There are a few I've been interested in getting, e.g. 7th Guest & 11th Hour, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and Sanitarium. Some of the others listed here do look interesting.

Masonite on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Masonite wrote: »
    I haven't played.. a lot of these games. There are a few I've been interested in getting, e.g. 7th Guest & 11th Hour, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and Sanitarium. Some of the others listed here do look interesting.

My goal was to get people to check out games they had missed, as well as get some info on games I had missed.

I'm planning on putting together an old DOS machine for some older games (why bother with DosBox when you can just do it natively? Also, there is a ton of 486-era freeware available... I think i've got a new idea for a thread), so some of these suggestions are awesome for me.

One of my biggest regrets in selling my 360 was not being able to pick up Condemned, and only getting to play the Demo of BioShock.

Einhander on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Masonite wrote: »

My goal was to get people to check out games they had missed

Mission accomplished sir.

If I fail out this semester, it's your fault.

I'd hope I do well, or else someones gonna murder your pets.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have a three foot long Iguana named Carl Winslow. He is ill-tempered, though, because the previous owner didn't really take good care of him. I don't know if he'd bite you if you got the drop on him, but it's my understanding that they can bite hard enough to sever digits.

The hardest part will be tracking some of these down. Silent Hill 3 shouldn't be too terribly difficult to find if I keep tabs on my local gamestores and Craigslist, but games like AvP and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream aren't exactly something you see at the average flea market.

Einhander on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" abandonware or whatever yet?

I saw Dark Seed was out there.

I'm trying Condemned right now anyway. I already had the game, just hadn't got around to playing it yet. My Initial Reactions? This fucker walks WAY too slow.

shryke on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to play The 7th Guest now, arrrgh.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm glad I could share the awesomeness that is The 7th Guest with you folks.

If you liked it, check out the 11th Hour, the not-as-good sequel.

Also, a fan-made 3rd game has been in the works for some time. I think it is called The 13th Doll.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MonniMonni Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Resident Evil 4 - The RE that took all of the previous RE standbys and turned them on their ear. Removing the "tank controls" that had a love/hate effect on most players, and originally announced as a GameCube exclusive, RE4 was both a familiar RE experience and a breath of fresh air.

Removed the "tank controls"? The controls are exactly the same! Press left to turn left, press right to turn right, press up to walk forward, press down to walk backwards. And hold run to run and aim to aim.

Monni on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Monni wrote: »
    Resident Evil 4 - The RE that took all of the previous RE standbys and turned them on their ear. Removing the "tank controls" that had a love/hate effect on most players, and originally announced as a GameCube exclusive, RE4 was both a familiar RE experience and a breath of fresh air.

Removed the "tank controls"? The controls are exactly the same! Press left to turn left, press right to turn right, press up to walk forward, press down to walk backwards. And hold run to run and aim to aim.

It also completely changed what an RE game is and not for the better. I wouldn'tr care if they'd named it anything else, it had no relation to the other games anyway apart from a few character appearances. I mean I know if I'd spent the last century making amazing genetic viruses teh first thing I'd do is run off to Spain to find fucking parasites.

It stopped being a visceral survival horror game and became an action horror with suplexes and round house kicks on the monsters and weird guys who sell you guns in a cloak. RE5 looks to continue this trend because RE4 sold so well.

Honestly, I'm sure its a good game, but it shouldn't have been an RE game, not with suplexes and stupid shit like that anyway. It entirely changed what RE was about and anyone who liked them is now screwed until they drive this new formula into the ground.

EDIT: RE2 was the first game I got for my PS1 and it was an amazing visual experience with a good story and brilliant characters and monster design. I miss it so much :(

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monni wrote: »

It also completely changed what an RE game is and not for the better. I wouldn'tr care if they'd named it anything else, it had no relation to the other games anyway apart from a few character appearances. I mean I know if I'd spent the last century making amazing genetic viruses teh first thing I'd do is run off to Spain to find fucking parasites.

It stopped being a visceral survival horror game and became an action horror with suplexes and round house kicks on the monsters and weird guys who sell you guns in a cloak. RE5 looks to continue this trend because RE4 sold so well.

Honestly, I'm sure its a good game, but it shouldn't have been an RE game, not with suplexes and stupid shit like that anyway. It entirely changed what RE was about and anyone who liked them is now screwed until they drive this new formula into the ground.

EDIT: RE2 was the first game I got for my PS1 and it was an amazing visual experience with a good story and brilliant characters and monster design. I miss it so much :(

I am also one of those weirdos who likes the old Resident Evil style of play better.
    Resident Evil 4 was a brilliant action game with some scary moments, but the brutality and tension of the resi 1 and 2 are way more awesome to me. Seriously, you just don't want to go into the next room because you don't have enough herbs and there is a hunter in there and oh god I'm nearly dead etc etc.

I think we can all agree that it had gotten to the point where Resident Evil needed a change up anyway. Still, the original concept they showed looked fucking terrifying.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Barcardi wrote: »
    But this reminds me, there was a fps like this but on the old doom engine that was very much like Undying, but older. It was also far better. What was its name?

Realms of the Haunting. I've never played it myself, but I've always heard very good stuff about it. I doubt it'd be terribly scary these days, though.
    Raere wrote: »
    There was this sort of horror-ish murder mystery adventure that reminded me of Indigo Prophecy for the PC. It was about this female cop who had to find a killer, and it involved some paintings or something. Her father was involved, and you had flashbacks to his side of the story. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Still Life. Pretty good story in a barebones adventure game. Had a helluva cliffhanger IIRC.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    But this reminds me, there was a fps like this but on the old doom engine that was very much like Undying, but older. It was also far better. What was its name?

Realms of the Haunting. I've never played it myself, but I've always heard very good stuff about it. I doubt it'd be terribly scary these days, though.

Realms of the Haunting WAS pretty terrifying back in the day, I played it through to completion. Sadly, you're correct, it hasn't aged well at all.

Uncharted is pretty jumpy when (late-ish game spoiler)
    The strange demon like creatures appear and leap all over the spot. My girlfriend loves playing the game, or actually watching me play it but now we're up to this bit she has to hide behind a pillow

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Is "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" abandonware or whatever yet?

Well, I really don't know but scumm supports it if that helps, that's how I used to play

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Sanitarium was downright creepy.

screen2.jpg

Oh god. The children. I was genuinely disturbed by them. Crazy wooden legs and then the fucking plant! You son of a bitch, I'd managed to block the oddities out of my head.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're a scholar and a gentleman for including Obscure in the op. Incredibly underrated but incredibly fun.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    F.E.A.R. has a really great atmosphere and manages to keep the creepy level high, because you just know some whacked out shit was coming, and there are times when you _know_ something is going to happen,
    like Alma and Alice Wade in the elevator

but when it does, you still go 'gah!'

And there were moments that had the full on panic flight thing going, like
    when Holiday is slaughtered, I was wigging out.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fear gets a million minus points for not letting me execute the fat man gangland style

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know a bunch of people go "lol little girls aren't scary!" with Fear, but there was so much more in it than just Alma creeping me out. Some really masterful tension build-up, as well as some really atmospheric stuff going on. The last few levels in the game are awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Screaming RavenScreaming Raven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know if it was because I was around eight at the time but I remember not sleeping for a good week after playing alien trilogy on the original playstation.

Screaming Raven on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Little girls--no, children in general--are the scariest shit I have ever experienced. I hate the demonically possessed/returned dead young'uns. It seriously scares the shit out of me. I couldn't play FEAR. I couldn't.

I was playing Ravenholm with a friend once, though, and we had just cleared one of the first rooms, and we were contemplating opening the boards in front of the door, to get out. We hear a kind of moaning, grunting sound, and we're like "wtf?" and turn around and there's THREE FUCKING MORE ZOMBIES STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO US. We shrieked. Out loud. I'm not kidding.

Good times.

Senshi on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm trying Condemned right now anyway. I already had the game, just hadn't got around to playing it yet. My Initial Reactions? This fucker walks WAY too slow.

Thats so you can't get away from the
    manaquins!!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Too bad we didn't get Siren 2. I assume it would fix the problems with the first one, including the stupid as hell Brit accents for the localization.

Oh, it did. I owned the Asian version and it was substantially better than the first game. Among other things, it added:

Multiple difficulty levels
    Better control (context sensitive ala RE4)
    The ability to see yourself on the map
    A new type of enemy that is weak to light
    Vehicles
    A character who is blind and must sight jack into his seeing eye dog to suceed
    A character who can control enemies by sight jacking into them
    A character who can past jack (see into the eyes of people in the past)
    Better visuals
    A few levels where you play as military characters and are well armed to add some variety
    Some cool bonuses after you beat the game

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm about to start Umbrella Chronicles one of these days... how does it rank for scarytude?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm about to start Umbrella Chronicles one of these days... how does it rank for scarytude?

Very low. It's an awesome light gun game though.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Would you guys consider the XCOM series to be horror games?

Einhander on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FEAR? Seriously? I'll admit the first couple hours were sccary but it turned into a mindless shooter and lost all tension and suspense too early.com

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    you're just saying that because you are such a STALKER fanboy, and you want to defend its title as the best acronymously titled game.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N takes that title, I think.

Oh wait did you say best?

Nevermind.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That too. Honestly, I got one scare in the entire game (fear). It was the ladder bit near the beginning.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I never understood why people think Undying is scary. Yes, it does start out really well, and up until Lizbeth it establishes a great atmosphere. But after that it devolves into monks, pirates and cavemen. I like the game, but I thought it lost its horror focus fairly quickly.

I agree to a point

It was not scary in the pirates and caveman areas, but the other ones were insane, especially the general main house with Aaron

I've not read the rest of the thread to see if anyone answered you, but I think that the game you are seeking is Killing Time. I played it on the 3DO, but there was a PC port.

I don't remember much of the gameplay aside from some nasty chefs, but the music was AWESOME.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »

Thats so you can't get away from the
    manaquins!!

It's the melee combat that makes everything more tense. When you can shoot someone in the head from across the room, it's just not as bad as having to hit them in the head with a plank until they fall down. Also, I don't know if you can actually use a crosshair when you've got one of the two guns lying around, but real men leave that disabled.
    Monolith certainly do know how to make a scary game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I loved Condemned. When I got it, the girlfriend was at work all day. With no distractions, I completed the entire game in one mammoth 8 hour session, pausing only for bathroom breaks and food. It was glorious.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Parts of the game have slipped my mind, but i remember some areas being very scary in Condemned.
    Mostly the mannequins, and i remember a house that made me brick myself later in the game. Best launch title for the 360 in my opinion.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fatal Frame 4 is really being made for the Wii?

Fucking awesome.

Pooch on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know it's controversial, but I count Manhunt as one of the finest survival horror games ever. While most horror games go for the traditional themes (monsters, undead, the supernatural), Manhunt revels in modern horror themes. Urban violence, street gangs, etc. The sort of horror you feel when you find yourself alone at night in a part of town where you shouldn't be and you can hear a gang approaching around the corner.

And you will shit yourself, when you...
    ...meet Pigsy. :)

I'll do a better presentation of it tomorrow, but try not to let this descend into a "I hate that game" argument. I love getting suggestions for horror games and picked up Condemned for the 360 today because of this thread.

b_8.jpg

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [begin]

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

[end]

Fanboy.

Tim James on
    sig.gif