Options

An Illustrated (Truncated) History of Horror Gaming [NSF56K]

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For AvP:

#1 had more "gotcha" scares for the Marine, but it lacked the one thing that was a a feature in every Alien and Predator movie: your teammates/crew being whittled down to the last man. It just isn't the same to come across a bunch of bodies than to hear them over the radio calling for backup or to watch them suddenly get disappeared into a hole in the ceiling.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm also fond of Manhunt. Rockstar North might not always get the interface right, but they nail atmosphere like no-one else. Which is perfect for a horror game.
    It's also a game that very neatly toys with the mind of the gamer. Tempts you into taking unnecesary risks just to inflict more violence like a shoulder-devil. Except it's the voice of the original Hannibal Lecter.

If you're a european, japanese or can play import games, check out Suda51's and Grashopper Studio's old PS2 game Michigan: Report from Hell. Another game that tempts the player into becoming an ingame monster.

In Michigan the player is a cameraman for a third rate channel. Togeter with a female journalist and a sound guy you go out into Chicago where weird things have been happening to get the best scoop.
    It's played entirely from the camera point of view, but no worries, this is a first person game developed by a Japanese company that doesn't totally suck: the controls are of a normal twin-stick shooter.
    Though the only thing you shoot is film.
    Like a certain sequence in Half Life 2: Episode 2 you don't carry a gun. Someone else does, instead you point monsters out for the other person to shoot. For the rest you can shove, you can look back (very weird in an fps), zoom, strafe and lock.

And you can decide wether getting a shot of someone being eaten by a monster or save them is worth more. There's a bit in the japanese trailer I can't find anymore that showed a sequence at a subway station. A woman is down on the tracks and a train is coming. Do you stop the tape and try and get her out or keep rolling as she gets run over to get fntastic ratings and probably a step up in your career.

Choices, choices.

I also like Haunting Ground, especially after this article in Abberant Gamer. It's an interesting illustration in how games fundementally differ from movies.

Chtulie on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Would you guys consider the XCOM series to be horror games?

I was seriously creeped out during the on foot missions. I guess perfection automatically includes horror in it.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chtulie wrote: »
    I'm also fond of Manhunt. Rockstar North might not always get the interface right, but they nail atmosphere like no-one else. Which is perfect for a horror game.
    It's also a game that very neatly toys with the mind of the gamer. Tempts you into taking unnecesary risks just to inflict more violence like a shoulder-devil. Except it's the voice of the original Hannibal Lecter.

If you're a european, japanese or can play import games, check out Suda51's and Grashopper Studio's old PS2 game Michigan: Report from Hell. Another game that tempts the player into becoming an ingame monster.

In Michigan the player is a cameraman for a third rate channel. Togeter with a female journalist and a sound guy you go out into Chicago where weird things have been happening to get the best scoop.
    It's played entirely from the camera point of view, but no worries, this is a first person game developed by a Japanese company that doesn't totally suck: the controls are of a normal twin-stick shooter.
    Though the only thing you shoot is film.
    Like a certain sequence in Half Life 2: Episode 2 you don't carry a gun. Someone else does, instead you point monsters out for the other person to shoot. For the rest you can shove, you can look back (very weird in an fps), zoom, strafe and lock.

And you can decide wether getting a shot of someone being eaten by a monster or save them is worth more. There's a bit in the japanese trailer I can't find anymore that showed a sequence at a subway station. A woman is down on the tracks and a train is coming. Do you stop the tape and try and get her out or keep rolling as she gets run over to get fntastic ratings and probably a step up in your career.

Choices, choices.

I also like Haunting Ground, especially after this article in Abberant Gamer. It's an interesting illustration in how games fundementally differ from movies.

That sounds fantastic. I really wish I had a PS2 right now.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Friday13thNES.gif

You know you wet em.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Y'all need to listen to the Retronauts "Survival Horror" episode. They discuss quite a few games listed in here, but touch on a few others as well...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To this day, I still cannot finish System Shock 2. It is just too much.

Samphis on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did anyone actually beat Siren? I swear I get so excited about that game and I sit down and pump through a few missions before I get fed up with how difficult it is.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Did anyone actually beat Siren? I swear I get so excited about that game and I sit down and pump through a few missions before I get fed up with how difficult it is.

At least one person has, apparently.

There was an LP at SA on Siren and it was completed, anyhow.

http://www.dailymotion.com/Egomaniacalfreak/Siren

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I did, although I admit I used a guide at a few parts. Siren 2 is much better in the difficultly level: the default setting, though tough, is doable without a guide and for masochists, there's an unlockable hard mode (beat Siren 2 or have Siren 1 save data) that's about as hard as the first game, but less frustrating.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What about Lifeline (I think it's called)? Awesome premise: You're stuck/locked in the security control room of a space station and you have to guide the only other survivor over a radio.

Problem is that the voice recognition wasn't the best. I've heard that combat wasn't bad but doing standard actions took some repeating

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And then they reveal that you're
    Shodan
    ?

Chtulie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Friday13thNES.gif

You know you wet em.
    That axe looks like a toothbrush.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Friday13thNES.gif

You know you wet em.

He's allied with the Cavity Creeps.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The one thing about Condemned that messed with me more than anything else - apart from a certain event in the school - was towards the end,
    with the final confrontation with Serial Killer X,
    where he cuts off your fucking finger.

I actually gasped in shock. Yeah, I spent the last four-five hours beating the shit out of random rage-addled hobos, junkies and gangsters with whatever I could find, but this actually horrified me. That whole setup at the end was just ace, right up until
    the goddamn stick-fighting Hellraiser ninjas. Seriously, Monolith, why??

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I REALLY gotta finish Condemned. I'm tired of all these spoilers, esspecially with the sequel right around the corner.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I did, although I admit I used a guide at a few parts. Siren 2 is much better in the difficultly level: the default setting, though tough, is doable without a guide and for masochists, there's an unlockable hard mode (beat Siren 2 or have Siren 1 save data) that's about as hard as the first game, but less frustrating.

I don't know if it was actual game difficulty or what. Mostly I just had the hardest time using with the screen-jacking because I could hardly ever tell where the monsters were supposed to be and what it was they were looking at. By the time I figured it out usually one was on top of me.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shodan
    ?

Fuck man, mark what game your spoilers are for....

Samphis on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    Shodan
    ?

Fuck man, mark what game your spoilers are for....

I've beaten SS2 and I dont even know what the hell he's talking about.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My comment on Lifeline, being in a control room and guiding a lone survivor on a space station.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, I think bad controls make a horror game better. It's not enough that there's eerie sound, flickering light, and gore - real tension comes from knowing it's been forty minutes since you last saved and your character controls like a tank.

:P

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We can wield guns with the best of them, but walking? Shit, that takes practice.

Masonite on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've posted this before but this is the scariest part of Condemned. DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILERD http://www.vimeo.com/665077

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basticle wrote: »
    I've posted this before but this is the scariest part of Condemned. DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILERD http://www.vimeo.com/665077

When the woman asks you for a proper closeup of course it's goddamn setup for a jump-at-you moment.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Friday13thNES.gif

You know you wet em.

A toothbrush that could cleave you to the bone!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I fucking loved Friday the 13th for the NES. I played the hell out of that thing. And it scared the crap out me with the jump up and the yelling and what not.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That Alien game for the Commodore that the Retronauts described in their podcast sounds so cool. I don't suppose anyone can do a write up of that?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OP states that Resident Evil 4 did away with the tank controls. How did it? You still have to turn around your axis to change direction, stil has a separate run button... it has pretty much identical controls to the earlier Resident Evil, except now you can actually aim. I have no idea where the myth comes from that it has a completely new control scheme.

Noray on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Friday13thNES.gif

You know you wet em.

A toothbrush that could cleave you to the bone!

This one was scarier, imo:

2.jpg

The music still haunts me...

Also, Sierra released two Manhunter games a hell of a long time ago... but I couldn't find any good screenshots. They were pretty gruesome, I think, about some secret alien organisation. Perhaps someone could write up some more info?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still find Forbidden Forest utterly terrifying, I recently booted up the old C64 to play it and genuinally found it creepy.

The music altered depending on what was going on, the enemies were terrifying and it had blood by the bucket load.

Using a bow and arrow was incredibly stressful too, giant ant coming running towards you? Load your bow, take aim, MISS, SHIT. Do you run or do you have time to reload and try again? Too late, you're now a mass of blood and gore.

From wikipedia:

Forbidden Forest is a game designed by Paul Norman, published by Cosmi Corporation in 1983 for the Commodore 64 and Atari home computers.[1] In this game the player controls an archer, armed with a bow and a limit of four quivers of arrows per level. The aim is to move through a forest setting while eliminating various monsters, including giant spiders, bees, mutated frogs, dragons, wizards and snakes, with the final enemy being the "Demogorgon". The game has four levels of difficulty which determine the number and speed of the monsters. This is one of the earliest video games to use animated blood

From a website:

When you begin playing you will notice the many levels of parallax and realistic landscaping on the screen. 'Distant' trees move slower than 'near' trees, and properly appear behind them. Monsters appear in front and behind the landscape. A very realistic environment for a very low res game.

Did it just get darker? Yep, notice the moon is dropping slowly across the sky? It does indeed become night time in the Forbidden Forest. The stars appear, glow and twinkle. The landscape turns dark under the canopy of night. Attention to detail. One of the many things that makes the game so remarkable.

Did I mention you are an archer? Oh yes. Your only weapon is a trusty bow and 4 quivers of arrows each level. The game also introduces some 3Dish elements too. You can actually position indicators on the side of the screen to show roughly how 'far up' you are shooting. In some cases, the creatures can appear in the distance as well as nearby. You will learn to master your bow's trajectory - but do it quickly; the creatures aren't going to wait!

Some media:

spider.gifbee.giffrog.gif

http://www.monroeworld.com/forbiddenforest/media/spearedskeletons.avi

And finally a remix of the music:

http://www.monroeworld.com/forbiddenforest/media/forest.mp3

Truely an awesome and terrifying game. If you can get hold of it then I'd highly recommend playing through it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Noray wrote: »
    OP states that Resident Evil 4 did away with the tank controls. How did it? You still have to turn around your axis to change direction, stil has a separate run button... it has pretty much identical controls to the earlier Resident Evil, except now you can actually aim. I have no idea where the myth comes from that it has a completely new control scheme.

The changing of the camera and the fact that it moved with you, similar to other 3rd person games probably had people thought "New controls!"

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All this talk of 7th Guest but no 11th Hour? Oh, man ...

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have both 7th guest and 11th hour but I never touched the second one. I just couldn't bring myself to care because I heard it was so horrible.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    11th hour wasn't that bad. On the CD was Doom WAD of the Stauf mansion.
    I didn't like playing scavenger hunt, then playing a mini puzzle, but at least I was rewarded with a FMV piece of the story which was rather interesting.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that bought and somewhat enjoyed "A Fork in the Tale".

(And I never played 7th Guest)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just have to put a plug for my favorite horror game website: Chris' Survival Horror Project - http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/ - lots of great horror game and movie reviews plus general game development reflections.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    11th hour wasn't that bad. On the CD was Doom WAD of the Stauf mansion.
    I didn't like playing scavenger hunt, then playing a mini puzzle, but at least I was rewarded with a FMV piece of the story which was rather interesting.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that bought and somewhat enjoyed "A Fork in the Tale".

(And I never played 7th Guest)

I liked 7th guest but I could never play 11th hour :( I got a newer PC and it just wouldn;'t work. And don't offer me that DOS emulator because it just can't find the necessary files it needs even when installed.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Actually, Resident Evil 4 controls aren't that new. I've had a look at Resident Evil: Dead Aim on the PS2 recently and it's pretty much exactly like resident evil 4. Third person camera that follows your character and switching to an aiming view (first person in this case) when you ready your gun. You also can't move and shoot at the same time (like ALL resident evil games).

What's striking is that the enemies are unchanged from old resident evil games. It it really, realy shows that the horror of those games isn't the monsters at all, the biggest enemy and threat in the game is really, really the controls since the monsters are really, really nerfed.

That's probably the actually biggest change in resident evil 4. The monsters are goddamn lethal if you screw up even a bit. It's like alien 2, or the marina campaign in the aliens vs predator games: you've got the guns, but they've got the numbers, no fear or sense of self preservation, the melee attacks AND THEY"RE OUT TO GET YOU! (and god help you if you don't keep track of where you are or how many bullets you've got left in the clip because you don't want to be reloading when trapped in a corner)

And the old resident evil games were quickly outclassed by the likes of Silent Hill, Fatal Fram/Project Zero and the likes anyway. It's good that with Resident Evil 4 they went looking for something that differentiated the series more, played to it's strenghts.

Chtulie on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played 11th Hour sometime last year, and it's just a stupid, stupid game. Terrible story and cutscenes, it has none of the charm and mystery of 7th Guest and most of the puzzles are absolutely aggravating. I could never actually beat the last one.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are we looking at The 7th Guest through rose-colored glasses? I remember enjoying it as a fun diversion at the time, but eventually got frustrated. I shudder to think about playing it now, unlike other classic games.

Hey! Get those glasses away from my face! Okay, I guess it was kind of cute.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    Noray wrote: »

The changing of the camera and the fact that it moved with you, similar to other 3rd person games probably had people thought "New controls!"

I actually meant to write that they had modified the tank controls to make them more fluid, but I wrote did away for some reason (it was really late when I first put the OP together, and I accidentally hit submit when the first one was only half finished, so I was rushing to get it done), but after seeing so many people call it out I figured I would leave it there out of spite.

I meant to go into a tirade on how RE4 was an awesome game, but it was an action game with horror elements, and not a survival horror game. I always had plenty of bullits, and having the merchant (while a cool addition) absolutely destroyed any sense of item-preservation based dread. It was nice that they took the series into a new direction, but when I see RE5 previews that look like RE4 with a new coat of paint I get sad and miss the days when I was trapped in some ridiculous mansion or lab fighting zombies and mutant creatures with some ridiculous yet awesome story keeping me going while I look for some ridiculous Rook key to solve a puzzle.

Although, to be fair, the sense that you were in a relatively normal environment added considerably to the dread factor I think. I mean, if you're in an underground lab beneath a city that is infested with zombies, you're expecting that you're going to run into someone or something that wants to kill you. But in RE4, you're just investigating a village, out in the open, in daylight.

I mean, imagein if you walked into the grocery store and all of a sudden everyone inside tried to kill you. You're trying frantically to escape when you hear a chainsaw start up. That mood was the scariest part of RE4, for me at least.

Einhander on