Options

An Illustrated (Truncated) History of Horror Gaming [NSF56K]

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What I thought was interesting was that the 11th hour opened up with YOU looking through the mansion and finding the Game Deck or whatever it was called, old and broken down at
    EXACTLY THE SAME SPOT THE GUY LEFT IT WHEN HE CONFRONTED STAUF!!!

I actually like the story. Guy wants to find his girlfriend but while in town learns about the history of the mansion and some of the people to escape from it. The two girls becoming impregnated from the house's evil was a stretch, but one ending up in a wheelchair because of a botched abortion and the other girl losing her hand to the gate, but keeping her baby until it grows up to the become the town slut-bitch.

And I really don't understand why she was a choice anyway. "Let's see. Escape, but let my love die, be with my love for eternity in hell, or door #3?"

Then again, I was like 14 when I finished it.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really enjoyed 11th Hour but I was probably about the same age, perhaps even younger.

I played that first and THEN 7th Guest. 7th Guest stood up poorly, even back then.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ooook looking back i am wondering why this game scared me

seriously i was terriefied of the 11th hour and the 7th guest

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuODqgkVPfg&feature=related

now... well ok (go to 4:20 minutes)

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    To this day, I still cannot finish System Shock 2. It is just too much.

Totally agree. That game completely fried my nerves like nothing else. Still no idea how it ends. Occasionally I would try to pump myself up and play for a bit. I 'd get maybe 15 minutes in at most before I would quit out and turn it off.

And the motherfucking goddamn monkeys. Monkeys are supposed to be funny and hilarious. There not supposed to make you dive behind the nearest available cover and start mumbling, "fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck..."

Apostate on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Apostate wrote: »

Totally agree. That game completely fried my nerves like nothing else. Still no idea how it ends. Occasionally I would try to pump myself up and play for a bit. I 'd get maybe 15 minutes in at most before I would quit out and turn it off.

And the motherfucking goddamn monkeys. Monkeys are supposed to be funny and hilarious. There not supposed to make you dive behind the nearest available cover and start mumbling, "fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck..."

Oh get over yourself and play. :P

Seriously, once you improve yours skills and weapons a bit you'll stop being as scared. You'll likely be chronically short of ammo for most of the game (wrench is your friend).

Of course, if you're going the psi-ops route you can probably expect a much tougher game early on, but it gives you some really powerful abilities if you invest in it heavily.

As for me, Undying is probably the game that freaked me out the most, at least whilst you weren't fighting humans like the T'rsanti (or those flipping cavemen at the end), and before you got the overpowered shield spell.

Especially Aaron popping up in weird places. I hated Aaron. :x

EDIT: After thinking about it some more, you know who really creeped me out? Alma from FEAR.
    Not so much child Alma. I honestly didn't find her that creepy. But adult, naked, bloody, angry Alma was pretty freaking scary. Really, really unnerving when you start seeing her wandering around near the end of the game.

subedii on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Oh get over yourself and play. :P

Seriously, once you improve yours skills and weapons a bit you'll stop being as scared. You'll likely be chronically short of ammo for most of the game (wrench is your friend).

Of course, if you're going the psi-ops route you can probably expect a much tougher game early on, but it gives you some really powerful abilities if you invest in it heavily.

As for me, Undying is probably the game that freaked me out the most, at least whilst you weren't fighting humans like the T'rsanti (or those flipping cavemen at the end), and before you got the overpowered shield spell.

Especially Aaron popping up in weird places. I hated Aaron. :x

EDIT: After thinking about it some more, you know who really creeped me out? Alma from FEAR.
    Not so much child Alma. I honestly didn't find her that creepy. But adult, naked, bloody, angry Alma was pretty freaking scary. Really, really unnerving when you start seeing her wandering around near the end of the game.

Hehe. We'll I am exaggerating a bit. The difficulty wasn't really hard, it was just the overall atmosphere. It got under my skin. Silent Hill was the same way.

Unfortunately I no longer have the game. :cry:

And in someway if I played it now the quaint graphics would probably ruin most of the effect anyway.

Apostate on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And in someway if I played it now the quaint graphics would probably ruin most of the effect anyway.

Well the environments are generally OK, but for future reference:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?board=2.0

http://shtup.home.att.net/

http://gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2007/03/system-shock-2-2k7.html

And yes, the atmosphere was awesome. Wandering around metallic halls, maze-like engineering sections, huge cargo bays, all the time wondering if something's out there. It was pretty cool.

subedii on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I kind of don't want to play BioShock because it scares me.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Are we looking at The 7th Guest through rose-colored glasses? I remember enjoying it as a fun diversion at the time, but eventually got frustrated. I shudder to think about playing it now, unlike other classic games.

Hey! Get those glasses away from my face! Okay, I guess it was kind of cute.

Best thing about 7th guest was the (hidden?) music tracks on the CD. I especially remember the creepy organ piece with the narrative on it.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My friend recently played, completed and thoroughly enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and now she's looking for more survival horror. She asked me if Dead Rising would be coming to the Wii and looked dejected when my answer was "not fucking likely", so to make up for it are there any Wii/Gamecube survival horror games people can recommend?

Something of similar length to Resident Evil 4 would be good. I've suggested the Resident Evil 1 remake that came out on Gamecube. Any others?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    My friend recently played, completed and thoroughly enjoyed Resident Evil 4 and now she's looking for more survival horror. She asked me if Dead Rising would be coming to the Wii and looked dejected when my answer was "not fucking likely", so to make up for it are there any Wii/Gamecube survival horror games people can recommend?

Something of similar length to Resident Evil 4 would be good. I've suggested the Resident Evil 1 remake that came out on Gamecube. Any others?

Umbrella Chronicles.

That's it I think.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eternal Darkness :^::^::^:

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Give her Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube too...maybe Resident Evil Zero, although that's pretty tame compared to the creepy under your skin fear that Eternal Darkness provides, and the out right fucking terror REmake instills in you.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was just thinking last night whether anyone has mentioned night trap yet? I hope so. Creepy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As an european I've got access to both Siren games. Will I miss out on anything vital if I skip the first game and go straight to second?

Also, which Fatal Frame/Project Zero game on the PS2 is the best one and the best one to start with?

Chtulie on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Alien is a slow moving but suspense heavy strategy game. An omniscient menu driven game, the player is put in charge of all of the crew members of the Nostromo. The game starts with one of the crew members being killed by the alien, which mirrors the death of Kane when he gives birth to the alien in the movie. The player moves the characters around on a map-grid representation of the ship as they search for the alien. Littered around the map are various objects that are useful such as nets, incinerators, laser pistols, and oxygen tanks. The player can order one of the crew members to pick up such objects and use them when needed.

The gameplay is challenging in that, based on the current situation, the emotional status of your crewmen could change. The emotional status can range from confident, stable, uneasy, shaken, hysterical, and broken. This means that the crew members will not always obey your orders and can be frozen by fear or unwillingness to enter a hazardous situation. Ordering characters to pick up weapons can positively affect their emotional status and they are more likely to follow orders. Sending a character off alone can negatively effect their emotional status causing them to perform poorly.

Furthermore, like in the film, one of the crew members is secretly an android and he will turn on the other crew when the player least expects it.

When the crew is reduced to three there is the option of self destructing the ship and escaping in the Narcissus.
    So cool

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chtulie wrote: »
    As an european I've got access to both Siren games. Will I miss out on anything vital if I skip the first game and go straight to second?

Also, which Fatal Frame/Project Zero game on the PS2 is the best one and the best one to start with?

Well each game has its own story, even if the third one has some ties with the first.

My favorite is the second one. But if you can, you might just want to play them in order.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    galerzm7.jpg
    Galerians was very very creepy. It's a shame I can't find any videos of the gameplay but christ there's a portion where you go to the fridge expecting a snack and it's your mothers corpse.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    galerzm7.jpg
    Galerians was very very creepy. It's a shame I can't find any videos of the gameplay but christ there's a portion where you go to the fridge expecting a snack and it's your mothers corpse.

They released the whole thing as a movie.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Give her Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube too...maybe Resident Evil Zero, although that's pretty tame compared to the creepy under your skin fear that Eternal Darkness provides, and the out right fucking terror REmake instills in you.

See, I thought of Eternal Darkness but the length of it I think would put her off. As I hear it it's quite a lengthy game and she wants something she could complete...well...not quickly but that she could actually finish :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not that lengthy. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eternal Darkness is actually quite a normal length. At it's very neatly broken up into chapters (it's structure is actually the best part of it) and there is very, very little to almost no padding.
    What makes it considerably longer is that replaying it is encouraged, as early on in the game there is a choice of three (red, green, blue) which affects elements later in the game (monsters & cutscenes). But playing through it once is in no way not a complete experience (pick green on your first go).

Chtulie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So there's seriously no Galerians love, eh? It's definitely worth playing if you can find a copy. You basically play a teenager who has had his world clusterfucked by terrible psychic experimentation. It's more of a psychological thriller because of a result of the test and what not performed on you you've gone relatively insane.

Luckily for you, you've also got a wicked arsenal of psychic abilities.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

See, I thought of Eternal Darkness but the length of it I think would put her off. As I hear it it's quite a lengthy game and she wants something she could complete...well...not quickly but that she could actually finish :)

It's like 8 or 9 hours long, it's not too bad. It's definitely shorter than RE 4.

But you can play through it 3 times as well, with varying cutscenes and dialogue for added replayability.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Any good?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Aren't there any handheld horror titles? I can't think of any but there must have been one or two at least, right? Dementium: The Ward - was that one scary?

I poked my head into this thread to see if anyone would mention Dementium. I'm a fan of neither the horror nor the first-person genres in general, but I gave this an attempt more or less out of curiosity when a review copy showed up at Snackbar. I didn't like it (duh), but I did recognize that this was my fault more than it was the game's -- although that "restart the chapter" bullshit was a bit much.

I really recommend that someone who enjoys horror titles (e.g., most people reading this thread) and can tolerate the DS's first-person control scheme (probably fewer people) should give this a shot.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Has anyone mentioned Rule of Rose?

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard Rule of Rose was cool in theory, but played like ass.

Confirm/Deny?

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard Rule of Rose was cool in theory, but played like ass.

Confirm/Deny?

Confirm.

A shame. It was a pretty decent premise.

I have a theory that a lot of lead designers on these games, especially in Japan, should just go into making straight to tv movies for cable because a whole heap of games come out with great story/design but ass gameplay

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Agreed. Gameplay in Rule of Rose was awful, but the story was way cool.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I see what you mean, but yeh, it's not that long. May feel like it cos it's a slower pace game then Resi 4 most of the time, but that's mainly because Resi 4 is a roller coaster experience.

It's not too long or too short, and it's got replay value too. Plus, it's a different type of experience you know?

I think REmake is a longer game myself, but only cos that's terrifying and full of annoying Resi puzzle solving.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Any good?

WEll I thoughtso. Its basically the cutscenes edited together in a way so as to avoid the gameplay sequences plus some new ones I think for the fight sequences. Short but worth watching if you liked thye game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chtulie wrote: »

Well each game has its own story, even if the third one has some ties with the first.

My favorite is the second one. But if you can, you might just want to play them in order.
    I liked 2 the best also, plus it doesn't really have any ties to the other ones outside of some similarities in plot.

I actually beat 1 recently but didn't really like it much at all, I guess maybe the sequels spoiled me.

Pooch on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so I started playing Condemned last night. then i remembered why I quit. So I gave up trying to play and went to gamefaqs and looked up some guides and some of the unlocked reports, but can someone give me a spoilered run down of events?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Well the environments are generally OK, but for future reference:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?board=2.0

http://shtup.home.att.net/

http://gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2007/03/system-shock-2-2k7.html

And yes, the atmosphere was awesome. Wandering around metallic halls, maze-like engineering sections, huge cargo bays, all the time wondering if something's out there. It was pretty cool.

Stop it, I'm poor :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a question about that game "Lifeline" that was mentioned earlier. Would the voice work with a bluetooth headset on a 60gb PS3? I have no idea how voice stuff works with BC.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rookie wrote: »
    I have a question about that game "Lifeline" that was mentioned earlier. Would the voice work with a bluetooth headset on a 60gb PS3? I have no idea how voice stuff works with BC.

I think the game came packaged with a headset, and in all likeliness that's the only one that works. However, I don't know for sure.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The packaged headset was similar to the one given away in SOCOM. In other words, a standard USB headset. I'm pretty sure your Rock band mic would work (unless they used the earpiece as well).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rookie wrote: »

I think the game came packaged with a headset, and in all likeliness that's the only one that works. However, I don't know for sure.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/lifeline
    Life Line requires a headset. It'll work with the one that came bundled with certain PS2 titles, a third party headset, or any USB-compatible headset.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck Clock Tower. And Fatal Frame.

I like to sleep at night.

Regicid3 on