Options

For The Love Of All Who Are Thirsty.... (Bawls Thread)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Surprised they can sit still after drinking enough to get all those caps.:lol:

I think i personally polished off around 6 cases at pax04, we had 2 stacks of empty boxes behind us. It was awesome.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Freeway Park is *just* outside the back doors of the convention center, but isn't officially a part of the center. Thus, Bawls (or someone selling Bawls) just needs to get setup as a vendor at Freeway Park. It looks like it's pretty simple to setup a temporary event at a park in Seattle, and not too pricey - $75 application fee, then $100 a day, plus $10 an hour, plus 10% of sales. Other than that you should just need a busines license if you're just selling bottled beverages.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Sl1pstream wrote: »
    The reason they couldn't give away/sell Bawls was because of the WSCTC, right? They don't sell Brawndo, do they?

Last year bawls was both sold and given away :P

Each person got 1 free bawls in the line before PAX and they were sold on the skybridge.

One free bawls is not giving away. It's fueling an addiction which could only be given into by spending a lot of money. :p

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ya, it was poorply priced last year, but that wasn't the worst of it. I was audience to a manager telling off a cashier for just selling bawls, and at one point the manager was refusing to sell just bawls, that you had to buy something else with it. It made me really hate the food people there. I was hoping since we were a big ticket item at this place that we could get even more concessions for selling the stuff there.

I miss 05, and 06 Bawls

I do hope Bawls comes back. Maybe last year they felt wasn't worth it...

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ya, it was poorply priced last year, but that wasn't the worst of it. I was audience to a manager telling off a cashier for just selling bawls, and at one point the manager was refusing to sell just bawls, that you had to buy something else with it. It made me really hate the food people there. I was hoping since we were a big ticket item at this place that we could get even more concessions for selling the stuff there.

I miss 05, and 06 Bawls

I do hope Bawls comes back. Maybe last year they felt wasn't worth it...

wtf.... thats stupid

BigRed on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bawls from a distributor (Last time I ordered from one, about 2years ago) costs around $1.19 a bottle. Possibly cheaper if you cut out a distributor and get it right from bawls' bottling place.

Grocery stores around here sell it for $1.49 a bottle (about 25% markup)

Damn, individual Bawls here, the only place that sells them is 7-11 for like 2.50 a bottle. My cheapest source of Bawls is the 4-packs of 16oz cans for 6.99 at Target. Though 6.99+tax for 64oz of Bawls is a pretty good price, not that much of a markup over the dollar a bottle at PAX, and cheaper than the 16.99 bottled 12 packs at CompUSA, which was the only place Ive even seen the 12 packs for sale, and they closed anyways.

And how much were the Bawls there last year? I only bought one, and don't remember how much I was gouged.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    I think the WSCTC was charging $2.50

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    I remember it being more than that, I thought it was like 3.50 or something. Had it been 7-11 priced, I wouldn't have complained quite as much. There still would have been some complaining, just toned down a little.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    my local bevmo(beverages and more) sells them for 1.75 a bottle, wich was a bit of a shock to me the first time cuz i had only previously heard about bawls at pax 05 where i paid a dollar for them . .. so to see them being sold for way more than 1.75 just blew my mind and i outright refused to buy them for the price they had set. infact. . i stopped buying from the vendors all together . . . i had some cans of mini beef ravioli that i purchased at the 99 cents store that i happily ate cold.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If people were willing to settle for the old-school champion of caffeine, Jolt is apparently on a fire sale down at ThinkGeek.

Maybe Jolt is too old-school for you youngin's, but I'm thinking about picking one up personally and storing it in preparation for PAX. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If people were willing to settle for the old-school champion of caffeine, Jolt is apparently on a fire sale down at ThinkGeek.

Maybe Jolt is too old-school for you youngin's, but I'm thinking about picking one up personally and storing it in preparation for PAX. =)

Just to tell you, they did something to the favor. It's more bitter.

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's just the secret ingredient.

...love juice

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    ...love juice

They put alcohol in it?

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

Ah, suckfest. =(

Admittedly, I haven't had a Jolt since... man... it's probably been ten years or more I'm guessing. I loved the taste back then. I might have to see if I can buy a single one somewhere so I can try its new, more bitter taste before I commit to a case. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wish I could find a place near me that sold them regularly. Nearest place I know of is something like 20 minutes away. Well, I can always buy a couple of cases off Thinkgeek when it gets closer to the event, if there is no news on any deal with the WSCTC and Aramark. I will be severely saddened if Bawls abandons PAX.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The QFC up on Broadway between Pike/Pine sells them for $1.50 each. I hate to release this secret, but it always seems to come out around this time. If you can't get it anywhere else, a coffee stand called the BTG sells them; it's at 15th & Madison for $2.75. QFC in the past has been helpful when it comes to buying large quantities of their items if you talk to them ahead of time, though I've only ever done it with produce. I'd consider giving them a call ahead of time if you're interested in stocking up.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That QFC also has Naked Juice which is the perfect cure for a caffeine-induced upset stomach.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Snickers wrote: »
    Wish I could find a place near me that sold them regularly. Nearest place I know of is something like 20 minutes away. Well, I can always buy a couple of cases off Thinkgeek when it gets closer to the event, if there is no news on any deal with the WSCTC and Aramark. I will be severely saddened if Bawls abandons PAX.

You are in redmond...

the 7-11 on 148th and 50th sells bawls

;-)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That QFC also has Naked Juice which is the perfect cure for a caffeine-induced upset stomach.

Odwalla tastes better. :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

Ah, suckfest. =(

Admittedly, I haven't had a Jolt since... man... it's probably been ten years or more I'm guessing. I loved the taste back then. I might have to see if I can buy a single one somewhere so I can try its new, more bitter taste before I commit to a case. =)

I know for a fact, that the Walgreen on Pike E. sells Jolt Blue(kind of like Pepsi Blue) and Energy(water-down Rock star).

Highfire on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Odwalla tastes better. :)

Check out Bolthouse Farms if you have a chance. Great stuff. I couldn't stand vegetable juice until I tried theirs. They also have various fruit blends.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just for reference sake. In the land of the rising fist (mitten), Bawls is $2 a bottle, be it in glass or "al-loo-min-e-um" form.

I have yet to try Cherry Bawls :(

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cherry bawls is delicious.

Theres a costco down in tacoma that carries cases of cans of cherry bawls :D

BigRed on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

*record scratch* Hold up. Is this the 2219 South 37th Street Costco? I haven't been there, but it's close enough to my house that I will make a special trip within the week.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

*record scratch* Hold up. Is this the 2219 South 37th Street Costco? I haven't been there, but it's close enough to my house that I will make a special trip within the week.

whatever the costco business center is down there. Odd that the business costco sells the cherry bawls

BigRed on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just had a thought...the Crepe stand at the convention center stocks their own beverages. It's very apparent, because shortly after local Costcos started offering Mexican Coke (with real sugar), the Crepe place did too! So maybe if someone lets them know in advance that Bawls will sell like hotcakes during PAX, they may stock up... Of course, I don't think they've got room to store what they would need...

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just had a thought...the Crepe stand at the convention center stocks their own beverages. It's very apparent, because shortly after local Costcos started offering Mexican Coke (with real sugar), the Crepe place did too! So maybe if someone lets them know in advance that Bawls will sell like hotcakes during PAX, they may stock up... Of course, I don't think they've got room to store what they would need...

Oh, nice!

This brings up a good question I've had on my mind for a while though. Why the hell are soft drinks in America made with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar? Is there a reason? I remember being taken aback in Nicaragua when I read the ingredients on a 7-Up and it had actual cane sugar. I was psyched, and then confused. Who decided we shouldn't get the real stuff in our drinks?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the Food and Drug Administration

...probably

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or the companies that make it that realize that the syrup crap is borderline addicting and much cheaper.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

You are in redmond...

;-)

You mean 148th and 51st? 'Cause thats the 7-11 right next to work. I walk by that place every day when I get off the bus. I remember someone telling me they didn't carry Bawls.... Maybe an investigation is in order!!

If they do, you are a life saver BigRed! I've been needing that extra pickup in the morning, that only some Bawls can provide!

Also, Cherry Bawls is Win in a can.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This brings up a good question I've had on my mind for a while though. Why the hell are soft drinks in America made with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar? Is there a reason? I remember being taken aback in Nicaragua when I read the ingredients on a 7-Up and it had actual cane sugar. I was psyched, and then confused. Who decided we shouldn't get the real stuff in our drinks?

Up until the mid-1980's, American soft drinks (and other products) were made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. What happened? The American corn lobby (i.e., the people who buy all that corn that's grown in the Midwest) convinced Congress to raise the import tariffs on sugar (which the US mostly imports). As a result, sugar in the US costs about twice as much as it does in the result of the world. As a result, all major soft drink producers in the US (as well as makers of other products) were forced to switch to the cheaper high fructose corn syrup.

In the past couple years people have started to become more aware that things taste different here than they do in the result of the world, and some premium brands (like Jones) are starting to switch back to cane sugar, Costco is importing Mexican coke, etc.

TL; DR: It has nothing to do with the FDA and everything to do with the very powerful corn lobby.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You are in redmond...

;-)

You mean 148th and 51st? 'Cause thats the 7-11 right next to work. I walk by that place every day when I get off the bus. I remember someone telling me they didn't carry Bawls.... Maybe an investigation is in order!!

If they do, you are a life saver BigRed! I've been needing that extra pickup in the morning, that only some Bawls can provide!

Also, Cherry Bawls is Win in a can.

Yeah thats the one. Unless something changed in the past 2 months (since I was there last) they should still have it :P

You work at nintendo or microsoft?

So... I went there today on the way to work to just check it out again.

They sell:
    Cerry bawls (can)
    Bawls (Can)
    Bawls (bottle)

$2.49 :( but meh, 7/11 is always expensive
    I got a couple cherry anyway :D

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Oh, nice!

Theres at least one bottler that makes theirs with Cane Sugar still here in the US. Ive yet to try it as its over in North Carolina, but West Jefferson Dr. Pepper bottles a variety of sodas including 7-Up, Dr. Pepper, A&W, RC Cola, and Mountain Dew(One of two non-pepsi bottlers of Mt. Dew) and others, and makes them with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Hopefully one of these days my friends and I are going to get around to our random roadtrip we've been talking about for years, and I'm gonna have to make a pitstop there for some Mountain Dew with cane sugar.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Up until the mid-1980's, American soft drinks (and other products) were made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. What happened? The American corn lobby (i.e., the people who buy all that corn that's grown in the Midwest) convinced Congress to raise the import tariffs on sugar (which the US mostly imports). As a result, sugar in the US costs about twice as much as it does in the result of the world. As a result, all major soft drink producers in the US (as well as makers of other products) were forced to switch to the cheaper high fructose corn syrup.

In the past couple years people have started to become more aware that things taste different here than they do in the result of the world, and some premium brands (like Jones) are starting to switch back to cane sugar, Costco is importing Mexican coke, etc.

TL; DR: It has nothing to do with the FDA and everything to do with the very powerful corn lobby.

Whoa... that sucks hardcore. Shouldn't the WTO file a complaint for that? I mean, it's effectively subsidizing the corn industry in America over foreign sugar markets. Not that they can do much, I suppose. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Protectionism blows. All tariffs and quotas should be eliminated, just let the chips fall where they may in a truly free global economy.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If they cared enough or could do anything about it don't you think it would have happened already? Bottom line is that there's more money to be had all around, except for the sugar growers, using the fructose so none of those people really care until it becomes unprofitable or there's better money in beets or something.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Theres at least one bottler that makes theirs with Cane Sugar still here in the US. Ive yet to try it as its over in North Carolina, but West Jefferson Dr. Pepper bottles a variety of sodas including 7-Up, Dr. Pepper, A&W, RC Cola, and Mountain Dew(One of two non-pepsi bottlers of Mt. Dew) and others, and makes them with cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

As far as I knew, these guys were the only ones who did that:
    http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

I've had a case of it before and it is delicious. (Of course, if you don't like Dr Pepper I doubt it'd do anything for you.)

Upon looking it up on Wikipedia, there are others, but AFAIK these are the only guys you can order online from.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corn has been governmentally regulated since the great depression in the mid 40’s and as such it’s subsidized by the federal government and as such we find a great deal of corn products in our every day lives. From artificially sweating our foods to using as packing material and bio fuels. Beyond that a great deal of the surplus corn is sent to areas of famine to help feed the hungry even if a significant amount does not reach them due to political power plays.

Beyond this there has been a raising debate about the contributing factor high fructose corn syrup has on the obesity level with in the United States. No study as yet has been able to provide a conclusive result and some believe this is the same result conspired by the lobby groups as was seen by tobacco companies about the cancers effects of cigarettes.

Some soft drink manufactures have been switching back to cane and beat sugars to sweeten their product but given the price difference it will not be a mainstream thing unless the consumers demand it or something happens to the farm bill that changes how corn is subsidized.

A pretty nice overview of the former farm bill from 2002 to September 2007 can be found here http://www.oxfamamerica.org/files/OA_Farm%20Bill%20101.pdf. I am unable to find a similar one for the new farm bill as passed by congress.

One nice thing about the low price of corn it allows us to buy very cheep no name brand sodas, even if we end up paying for it in the end through our taxes.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This is all very interesting! Until I went to Nicaragua, I'd never really stopped to think about how we use corn syrup in so many places where a rational person would use sugar... but I never realized there was so much political history behind it!

It all seems insane to me. I think I'd rather pay more for soda if I could have it with real sugar... it certainly tasted better, at the least. I'm going to start looking for some real sugar sodas in my area.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Or we should all stop drinking pop like sensible people so we can be healthier and keep our teeth past our mid-20's.

ShineyBlueShoes on
This discussion has been closed.