Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

15859606163

Posts

  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rhaka wrote: »
    My goal is clear.

    Become known as Title Giver and pass that one around liberally to all Order who might want it?

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, mounted combat being cut a year ago makes Oatway a sad panda.

    Oats on
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    *Ahem* Gentlemen, I do believe this thread has been WAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH'd.

    Indubitably.

    SmokeScreen on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't posted in a few days because I've had nothing to say.


    But here I am on page 100

    Dissociater on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if there's a title for killing the same schmuck over and over again? Like, 30 kills of the same person in one battleground.

    Edit: Kind of a dick thing to do, but kind of funny. I'm sure everyone's seen that guy who is best described as "can't get right".

    Toothy on
  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a title for killing the same schmuck over and over again? Like, 30 kills of the same person in one battleground.

    Edit: Kind of a dick thing to do, but kind of funny. I'm sure everyone's seen that guy who is best described as "can't get right".

    Ender of the Witless?

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    Unknown User on
  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    It's like being in a Joust.

    Jousting never looked much fun.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    Maybe not, but there's nothing I hated more in WoW than trying to chase down someone who was mounted and knowing I basically couldn't do anything unless he CHOSE to dismount.

    Mounted combat would have gone a long way to helping with this.


    I was watching a video someone posted earlier that has Jeff and Josh presenting in Paris, and one of the guys (I think it was jeff) said:
    The Dark Elves are the opposite of the High Elves. They represent corruption, they represent decadence, They represent.... America a little bit.

    Which got a stirring round of laughter and applause from the Paris Audience. Sort of amusing ;)

    Dissociater on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    The Dark Elves are the opposite of the High Elves. They represent corruption, they represent decadence, They represent.... America a little bit.

    Which got a stirring round of laughter and applause from the Paris Audience. Sort of amusing ;)

    Ya...I think that would get a round of laughter in America too. *snicker* And mounted combat...I don't know...it seems like it might just devolve everyone to constantly run around on mounts. The best option that I can see is to have getting on a mount be interruptible, or be able to get knocked off mounts by getting hit.

    maraxus94 on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Entaru wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    It's like being in a Joust.

    Jousting never looked much fun.

    Being a professional jouster, let me assure you that jousting is indeed a SHIT TON of fun.

    A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    It's like being in a Joust.

    Jousting never looked much fun.

    Being a professional jouster, let me assure you that jousting is indeed a SHIT TON of fun.

    Really? That's pretty cool.

    It's one of those things that aren't for me, I guess.

    Edit: What bothers me about it is that in games, from what I've seen, the horses don't act like real life. It's like my new uber expensive horse is just a speed buff.

    Horses in games should be analogue. They should have speed control and the faster you go the wider your turn radius. Though I live in a perfect world of rainbows and lollipops and it will probably never happen.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    just got my codes from ea. happy day!

    belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »
    just got my codes from ea. happy day!

    That is certianly some good news. Are you in the US or Canada? I'd like to make sure our friends up north are getting keys.

    Ash-Housewares on
    Steam ID: Ash-Housewares | Twitch: Ash_Housewares
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i am in the USA.

    belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    mounted combat was great in UO, since all it did was increase your run speed, and pretty much everyone used a mount.

    anyone who tries to feature "mounted combat" as one of their vaunted game features is really just trying to cover up for the lack of interesting things elsewhere.

    Unknown User on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »
    just got my codes from ea. happy day!

    Woot! I just did too, I'm in Canada.

    Dissociater on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, are there any Warhammer fantasy books that would be ideally suited to people new to the setting, and that might actually have some semi-original plot points and good/decent writing?

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    So, are there any Warhammer fantasy books that would be ideally suited to people new to the setting, and that might actually have some semi-original plot points and good/decent writing?

    No.

    DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Any of the Malus Darkblade books, if bad guys are your thing.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus_Darkblade
    Tales of Malus Darkblade series (by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee)
    • The Daemon's Curse (2005, ISBN 1-84416-191-9)
    • Bloodstorm (2005, ISBN 1844161927)
    • Reaper of Souls (2006, ISBN 1844161935)
    • Warpsword (2007, ISBN 1-84416-194-3)
    • Lord of Ruin (September 2007, ISBN 1844161951)

    Unknown User on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Entaru wrote: »
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    It's like being in a Joust.

    Jousting never looked much fun.

    Being a professional jouster, let me assure you that jousting is indeed a SHIT TON of fun.

    Really? That's pretty cool.

    It's one of those things that aren't for me, I guess.

    Edit: What bothers me about it is that in games, from what I've seen, the horses don't act like real life. It's like my new uber expensive horse is just a speed buff.

    Horses in games should be analogue. They should have speed control and the faster you go the wider your turn radius. Though I live in a perfect world of rainbows and lollipops and it will probably never happen.

    There are a LOT of things in video games that are just laughingly inaccurate when it comes to armored combat and mounted combat. *shrug* You have to either get over it or you go insane. Or you become 'that guy' bitching about realism in a game that has magic and elves

    Edit: sounds like I am calling Entaru 'that guy' I assure you that is not what I meant.

    A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.
    In a game with MMO combat I agree, but in something with more action: awesomeness incarnate.

    -SPI- on
  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    mounted combat really doesnt do anything for me.

    It's like being in a Joust.

    Jousting never looked much fun.

    Being a professional jouster, let me assure you that jousting is indeed a SHIT TON of fun.

    Really? That's pretty cool.

    It's one of those things that aren't for me, I guess.

    Edit: What bothers me about it is that in games, from what I've seen, the horses don't act like real life. It's like my new uber expensive horse is just a speed buff.

    Horses in games should be analogue. They should have speed control and the faster you go the wider your turn radius. Though I live in a perfect world of rainbows and lollipops and it will probably never happen.

    There are a LOT of things in video games that are just laughingly inaccurate when it comes to armored combat and mounted combat. *shrug* You have to either get over it or you go insane. Or you become 'that guy' bitching about realism in a game that has magic and elves

    Edit: sounds like I am calling Entaru 'that guy' I assure you that is not what I meant.

    I know you weren't no hard feelings.

    I guess I just think it'd be cool to have that one little part in there, momentum and turning radius. There would still be so many things wrong with it it's not even funny.

    I don't think games like this should be fully realistic myself. I just like physics. :P

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    And mounted combat...I don't know...it seems like it might just devolve everyone to constantly run around on mounts. The best option that I can see is to have getting on a mount be interruptible, or be able to get knocked off mounts by getting hit.

    See, I don't think it will devolve into that if they make it far less effective to fight on horseback. Sort of like fighting as a ghost wolf form shaman in WoW. Sure you can do it...but why would you want to?

    In WAR however, it would be nice if you could fight while mounted, not as simply being able to fight with a bigass speed buff, but to give you a different type of attack.

    Basically what I mean is, you should be able to knock people off their mount if you're mounted. I would love to see some great races while mounted between one person who is low on life and trying to get away, and another person who is trying to chase them down.

    Of course identical speed would make this futile, but it would be cool if there were ways to customize your mount, so let's say some mounts have very high top speed but take longer to get up to that speed (Acceleration) and doesn't turn as sharply. Ok now it's sounding more like a racing minigame, but I think it would be badass to try and chase down someone who is fleeing from you, knock him to the ground and then finish him off.

    That's what I think of when I think of mounted combat, not simply regular fighting with a speed buff.

    Dissociater on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe like a charge ability for mounted players to use on non-mounted ones, but with a cooldown so it's used as an opener.

    e: So say you're riding around and you see some Dwarves on foot, you can ride over, charge them then dismount and fight. Maybe the charge should dismount the attacker and it could miss and be dodge-able!

    815165 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Any of the Malus Darkblade books, if bad guys are your thing.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus_Darkblade

    So, somewhat like Elric, or very much like Elric? Is the emo not slathered on?

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Guys ... you're pretty much saying that you want AoC's planned (if they don't fuck it up) mounted combat. Seriously, it looks bloody marvellous. Go faster and you do more damage. The horses lean into the turns in a really nice way, looks very realistic (for a game) and rhino's and mammoths do damage to buildings (presumably increasing with speed). Oh yeah, and your horse can kick to it's front and back, knocking over any opponents in the way so that you can get moving again. Oh and yes people can knock you off your mount.

    Unfortunately they are almost definitely going to fuck it up in reality.

    Lly on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not an easy system to balance at all without making it stupid.

    815165 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    Any of the Malus Darkblade books, if bad guys are your thing.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus_Darkblade

    So, somewhat like Elric, or very much like Elric? Is the emo not slathered on?

    Malus isn't very emo, other than pure hatred for everything that has a pulse. But I consider that just a side effect of being completely evil.

    Unknown User on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Guys ... you're pretty much saying that you want AoC's planned (if they don't fuck it up) mounted combat. Seriously, it looks bloody marvellous. Go faster and you do more damage. The horses lean into the turns in a really nice way, looks very realistic (for a game) and rhino's and mammoths do damage to buildings (presumably increasing with speed). Oh yeah, and your horse can kick to it's front and back, knocking over any opponents in the way so that you can get moving again. Oh and yes people can knock you off your mount.

    Unfortunately they are almost definitely going to fuck it up in reality.

    Yes and no. I mean, it doesn't NEED to be that complicated. Basically what I'm (and probably a lot of other people) are asking for is a way to knock someone off their mount when you're mounted. In WoW (for example) once you're mounted, you're pretty much home free unless you get sheeped or stunned or something, and for that to happen the guy pretty much needs to run right up to you and no notice you.

    It always drove me nuts in AV with my warrior charging/intercepting someone who was mounted, and either A) having the charge stun get resisted, or B) have your follow up hamstring miss. In either case he runs off and you're standing there like an idiot waiting to drop out of combat so you can mount up and chase him. Even if you choose to chase him, the only way you're going to catch him and be able to engage him on foot is if somewhere up the line he decides to dismount.

    Likewise, unmounted players should have an attack that can dismount a player. A lot of these problems I can see would be avoidable simply by the fact you can't run THROUGH other players (from what I understand). It would be infuriating if you could do in WAR what some people do in WOW, that is, mount up and just run past the defenders and cap their GY (or in Warhammer's case, start assaulting a castle or something).

    Dissociater on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Gotrek and Felix books are decent for light reading. They have lots of Skaven as a bonus. You can pick them up in Omnibus's too. I think there are two out now each with three books in them.

    Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Guys ... you're pretty much saying that you want AoC's planned (if they don't fuck it up) mounted combat. Seriously, it looks bloody marvellous. Go faster and you do more damage. The horses lean into the turns in a really nice way, looks very realistic (for a game) and rhino's and mammoths do damage to buildings (presumably increasing with speed). Oh yeah, and your horse can kick to it's front and back, knocking over any opponents in the way so that you can get moving again. Oh and yes people can knock you off your mount.

    Unfortunately they fucked it up in reality.


    fixed. AoC's mounted combat system is a joke, which is the subtle point I was making earlier when I said you use it as one of your selling points when the rest of the game pretty much is awful as well.

    Unknown User on
  • LlyLly Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Discombobulator ray for the win! Or at least it was before they stopped it's dismounting effect. Too many people falling off their flying mounts to their death as a little leper gnome I guess. I think you're right though, WAR has collisions which will help stop the mount problem, and also as I understand it a lot more knockback effects, which will probably knock peple off their mounts.

    edit: Awww, is AoC really that pants? I was hoping it would be good enough to at least keep me entertained till fall. Also, how exactly do you know this?

    Lly on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Because that is a game that I could really give two shits if I broke the NDA or not.


    It's not even worth my time anymore to be honest, and honestly who expected anything else from funcom.

    Unknown User on
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    books are for fags

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, are there any Warhammer fantasy books that would be ideally suited to people new to the setting, and that might actually have some semi-original plot points and good/decent writing?

    The Gotrek and Felix books are rather pulpy, but they're also good reads. Lots of bashing heads and action, and very humorous at parts.

    You could also pick up Tales of the Old World, it's a collection of short stories. Some are crap, but some are good.

    Selner on
  • EntaruEntaru Linux Grrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Because that is a game that I could really give two shits if I broke the NDA or not.


    It's not even worth my time anymore to be honest, and honestly who expected anything else from funcom.

    That was my biggest fear all along, Funcom. Seriously I've played three games by them and only one was decent.

    It was an adventure game. It's sequel even sucked. (The combat system on the second Longest Journey was so bad I no longer cared about the story of the characters. I hated it that much)

    AO was a cluster of bad game play, The expansion to which was an attempt by them to take their adventure game success and make it work in their MMO. It failed in that it took the few neat things about AO and ruined them (The Fixer).

    Giving them the license to the Conan world was like giving the people who made Big Rigs: Over the road Racing the license to Grand Turismo.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    It will sell well and people will play it (until they get bored of it, which ironically is going to be right around when WAR is released), but its not going to be what funcom has promoted. Half of their super new and groundbreaking concepts are just the same old same old you've seen in WoW, DAoC, EQ etc., and a good portion of the things they promised just plain dont exist.

    Unknown User on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought AO was plenty good for an MMO of its time.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I thought AO was plenty good for an MMO of its time.

    well I guess you and a hundred other people agreed.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
This discussion has been closed.