As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Please delete

• MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've decided to start over on this project from the beginning. I've been looking at a lot of tutorials and advice from people and I need to go about this painting differently. Everyone's been telling me that. :( This project is definitely too ambitious for someone with no painting history. But I am determined to produce something decent!

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
    edited May 2008
    Shadows_of_war_WIP1.jpg

Starting over from scratch. This time I'm going about it differently, my underpainting wash is a burnt umber acrylic and this time I'm sticking some newspaper cutouts in the background for dramatic effect. As I'm becoming more and more pissed off at my command for fucking me over recently (they won't let me move to Combat Camera because they're douche-bags), my painting shall become more and more pissed off.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would suggest working on the old one a bit longer, even if you want to do a different one.

In order to learn a medium, you simply must do it over and over again. So working on the old one would be good practice.

I like the ideas of the news paper btw.

Sublimus on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, you can still achieve a painterly oil-painting style using a medium you're more familiar with. I don't think they'll care what medium it is if it comes out super awesome!

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2008
    TerminalLanceDemoPageTOP.jpg

This is the top half of a demo page for Terminal Lance. It's supposed to be all the coolness of a Marine Corps recruiting commercial in one frame. Let me know what you think and/or what needs to be fixed.

Note: It's inked by hand, but I am open to making digital corrections. I've already made a couple.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I attempted a new painting, something I'd enjoy a bit more to hone my skills on. I've been reading a lot on oil painting and I tried to start with a burnt umber underpainting of everyone's favorite zombie, Charlie:

UnderPainting_Attempt.jpg

Well it went great up to that point. As soon as I started trying to add color I managed to fuck it up and I re-primed the canvas.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good luck! Can't wait for more.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    TerminalLanceDemoPageTOP.jpg

Going back to this, I'd say the biggest thing you've got to worry about is how you're drawing all those military toys in there. It appears that you are trying to jump ahead on detailing before the perspective and proportions are worked out; for example, on the front of the tank you have a lot of lines going across the front , one of which goes to a completely different vanishing point than the others. Then, you've got a flap jutting out from the body and over the treads on one side but not the other. Then, you've got the proportions of the turret to the body; now I'm presuming this is an M1A1 but I could be wrong, but right now looking at the google image search results and thinking about it a bit, it looks like the either the body is too thin, or the turret is too big and high up. The amount of underside of the turret visible couple with the dramatic angle make it look like the turret is actually wider than the body, and it seems like much more of the front side of the turret would be obscured by the body.

Now look at the plane. Yes, it's got enough of the details right that I can make out that it's supposed to be an F/A-18. However, it looks more like a plastic toy of an F/A-18 than a real one, because again, you've moved on to details before the main proportions and idea were hashed out. Yes, an F/A-18 has a bubble cockpit and 2 engines and wings that are both angled to make a trapezoidish kind of shape. But look at the elements on the nose/cockpit- it's all bulbous and child-safe looking. The center form the extends from the tip of the nose down the center of the fuselage to the back of the plane is too wide and stops to early.Then you've got the wings- sure, both the front and rear edges of the wing taper as they approach the wingtip, but on the real plane, the front is a much steeper angle, whereas on yours they are the same angle- same story with the stabilizers. Then you've applied a couple of minor details and called it a day.

Now look at it another way- ask yourself, 'what is the purpose of the shape of this plane?' The answer is obviously it's designed to go forwards through the air, very very fast. On the real plane, the nose is very pointy, the surfaces are all slicked back to create the most aerodynamic shape they could manage; even standing still on the ground, modern jet fighters just look fast. Therefore, when drawing an object you need to emphasize the things that make that object what it is. The pointyness, and those slick backed surfaces; you want to show those lines on the body that go from the front to back (connection between fuselage and wings and the divot between the two engines for example) to create the sense of speed and purpose to its shape.

What you've done is deemphasize those things, making the shape static by presenting it as a giant white void. Even the contrail serves to make it seem static; instead of blasting out of the engines at a million miles an hour creating a straight line of thrust and power, it puffs out the back like they are smoke stacks.

Now, all of that might be fine, if you didn't say it's set out with the purpose of being "cool as a recruiting commercial", if you wanted the shape of the actual plane to be secondary to your own aesthetic purposes, whether to make it more friendly looking or deliberately non-glamorous or whatever that's all well and good. But I've seen those commericals, it's all slick, fast jump-cutting "EXTREEEEEEME" kinda shit and you need stuff that will demonstrate that sort of "COME DRIVE A BILLION DOLLAR METAL DEATH MACHINE AT 1000 MPH" feel to it, that's the whole point of them. Therefore, your aesthetic choices should reflect that purpose; finding out what is important and really nailing it before fiddling with details.

(Also I realize the irony of a dude whose only exposure to the military comes from movies and video games lecturing a marine on what military hardware ought to look like, but I'm fairly confident of my points regardless. Also I am kind of a dork when it comes to fighter planes.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2008
    Wow, that was an eyeful. I completely agree with you on everything you said, drawing mechanical things isn't really my thing. Yes it is supposed to be an M1 Abrahms, I'm not a tanker so I used a reference picture like anyone else. :P

I was thinking of re-doing this page anyways, just to re-emphasize what I was going for. I feel, after looking at it several days after I did it, that it doesn't portray the kind of "EXXXXXTREME" badass feel that I wanted with it. Your points are more emphasized toward the inking and technical aspects of it, but I feel like the composition could be better laid out to begin with.

I appreciate it, AoB, you should write one of those on my painting too... I don't have to work til Wednesday, but I really want something finished to show Gunny before then...

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For your title/mark like srsizzy said you want to start off by considering a new typeface. I like the chevron/badge though. You want to try to make the logo reflect what you want the comic to be.
    Just off the top of my head I'm thinking a personnel file with the title stamped across it could work or something resembling a typewritten document but it could be anything as long as its reflective of the comic and can stand on its own to attract interest and convey the idea of the comic.

Veritas on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    HappyGirl_small.jpg
    This girl was so happy we gave her a toy.

Don't know how I missed this. Not gonna lie...
    This picture made me tear up like a someone just ran my dog over, but I don't care to admit it!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2008
    That girl was adorable, much cuter than the one that stole $10 from one of us while posing for pictures with us.

ShadosofWar2.jpg

Well lets see if I can do this without fucking it up.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    That image is coming together nicely!

Also, I'd have to agree it's hard to top that picture of the happy little one. It's color coded so wonderfully and that bear has a frog on its head. The bear. Has a frog on its head.

I'd be that excited too if I were her!

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think his eyes could be a bit more deeply set into his sockets. They seem to be bulging a bit right now.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    ShadowsofWar21.jpg

Well here it is so far. I'm stopping for the night to let this layer dry. Due to lack of personal ability, I'm really not trying to make it look exactly like the model. I just want it to look decent. -_-

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HappyGirl_small.jpg
    This girl was so happy we gave her a toy.

This picture made me tear up like a someone just ran my dog over, but I don't care to admit it!

I'll definitely second that. The photos you put up on the first page of this thread are amazing.

An-D on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    don't be afraid to mix up some cooler colors to come in and describe some form on the side of his face thats in shadow. Oil paints scrape off quite easily. I dont know if you have the patience for it but you can rub the face out and paint it again and I guarantee you will paint it better the second time. Not saying that you need to, just in the spirit of getting you more comfortable with the medium.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2008
    don't be afraid to mix up some cooler colors to come in and describe some form on the side of his face thats in shadow. Oil paints scrape off quite easily. I dont know if you have the patience for it but you can rub the face out and paint it again and I guarantee you will paint it better the second time. Not saying that you need to, just in the spirit of getting you more comfortable with the medium.

This might be a mistake, but I've been using Liquin as a medium so it would dry quicker; since I'm trying to get a decent amount done before Wednesday.

Would I be able to just paint over the shadow with cool colors?
    An-D wrote: »

I'll definitely second that. The photos you put up on the first page of this thread are amazing.

And since no one looked at it in the Chat thread, I'm posting my Iraq Deployment video here. Don't worry, it's PG, and no animals are hurled off a cliff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wo9ATFvHg0

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can paint back into the shadow I dont see why you couldn't. IF your worried about the color muddying up on you just wait till the paint dries. The big thing for avoiding muddy color is laying it down and then not fucking with it. I dont do it as much any more but I used to mix out every color and every tone of the color I Was going to use in the painting then id just pick them up and lay them down.

did a quick digital shit of what I was talking about with cool colors.

I noticed some value problems, I started correcting them then quit. Im assuming your reference is that picture you posted on page 2. Id suggest Converting it to greyscale and painting from that. Color saturation makes it difficult to see value sometimes. If you have a camera with that feature take a picture of your painting in black and white mode and look at it.

shadowsofwar21colorretouch605.jpg.xs.jpg

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2008
    You can paint back into the shadow I dont see why you couldn't. IF your worried about the color muddying up on you just wait till the paint dries. The big thing for avoiding muddy color is laying it down and then not fucking with it. I dont do it as much any more but I used to mix out every color and every tone of the color I Was going to use in the painting then id just pick them up and lay them down.

did a quick digital shit of what I was talking about with cool colors.

I noticed some value problems, I started correcting them then quit. Im assuming your reference is that picture you posted on page 2. Id suggest Converting it to greyscale and painting from that. Color saturation makes it difficult to see value sometimes. If you have a camera with that feature take a picture of your painting in black and white mode and look at it.

shadowsofwar21colorretouch605.jpg.xs.jpg

I see what you mean. I'll give it a shot, it doesn't look like it'd be too difficult.

PS: You need a better image host.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Max, finally got around to watching that video. That's something else. First and foremost, I'm so glad to see you've kept your head down and hope you continue to manage. Given that, how often were you able to get any drawing done? Seems to me it's something I would try to get in as often as possible!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the very last bit of that video--during the credits--is incredible!

• Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Irony_small.jpg

This one's freakin' fantastic. nice work.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
    edited May 2008
    Max, finally got around to watching that video. That's something else. First and foremost, I'm so glad to see you've kept your head down and hope you continue to manage. Given that, how often were you able to get any drawing done? Seems to me it's something I would try to get in as often as possible!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the very last bit of that video--during the credits--is incredible!

I was in a rut for the first half of the deployment really, being depressed and not knowing what to expect. But after I got settled I had my wife send out a bunch of art supplies and I did what I could when I had time. Usually I tried to do something everyday, but I was so tired and pissed off most of the time and didn't keep it up everyday.

Edit:

Dumping some stuff off. More or less doodles and random concepts.

CharlieWatercolorTest_small.jpg
    Watercolor

TheGirl.jpg
    Digital

inkcharlie.jpg
    Ink (real media)

inkcharlie_color.jpg
    Ink (from above) with digital coloring

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Much like the ancient zombies of lore, I WISE FWUM MY GWAVE and post new pictures from my current Iraq deployment. These were all taken within the last 2 weeks or so.

Hot off my issued Canon 1D Mk II.

Ramadi_mission_small-1.jpg

Ramadi_mission_small-2.jpg

Ramadi_mission_small-3.jpg

Ramadi_mission_small-4.jpg

Ramadi_small-9.jpg

Ramadi_small-7.jpg

Ramadi_small-6.jpg

Ramadi_small-11.jpg

Ramadi_small-13.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-5.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-6.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-4.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-18.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-13.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-10.jpg

And... got bored standing by for 12 hours so we started playing with long exposures and a flashlight.

COPHEIDER_small-19.jpg

COPHEIDER_small-21.jpg

And since we're Marines... its a dick.

COPHEIDER_small-20.jpg

I have very little editing power over here. Just a little Dell laptop with some Adobe programs on it. Plus, with the amount of pictures I take its hard to sit down and edit just one or two.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am glad I sometimes frequent the art threads - you should post some of these to the photo thread, too. I completely love the helicopter shots, especially the first two! You have captured/created some intense mood in them that is perfectly appropriate for the subject matter. Top notch!

erisian pope on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha... A dick.

Awesome photos man. Stay safe.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the second helicopter shot is amazing
    national geographic quality there

mully on
    edited July 2009
    Working on a book cover for our year book thing. My CO is really big on paying homage to the past, so he really liked the idea of a WWII Marine in the image.

CruisebookCover_preview.jpg

Yay or nay? Frankly I think I tried too hard to go Shinkawa and fucked it up.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure it's working. The soldiers are kind of hard to read, and I think you've gone a bit overboard with closure. The left side of the closer solder, for example, just disappears completely rather than my mind filling in the blanks. It might benefit from some sort of background or something.

I can't really judge the concept since it was suggested to you, but the composition seems solid.

Flay on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The composition is a little off, imo...

I'd center the crest (and possibly shift it up a touch), and I'd have the illustration cropped a little tighter to the crest, perhaps bringing it down as low as the top of the front figure's chest (you'd lose his gun but it's difficult to make it out anyway...).

You'd then be left with some open space to the right of the illustration (i.e. mirroring the WWII soldier's gun -- is that an M1 Garrand?), which might look fine but if in doubt, you could add the silhouettes of helecopters or something.

If it were me, I'd distress & break up the border so it looks slightly mis-printed, and possibly add some all-over grainy texture. It's almost there.

Great photos by the way, I just took a look at your blog also. Very interesting reading.

Grenn on
    edited July 2009
    Flay--
    I think you're right about the closure thing. The design is based off of Yoji Shinkawa's box art for MGS2 Substance. I think the reason his style works is because he uses really light coloring to fill in the areas not described by the ink. This is really difficult to replicate.

Grenn--
    I'm working on doing what you've recommended. I think it will work better that way. This is just a rough composition I threw together to get the general idea.

Thanks for your input guys!

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Like the graphic, make it smaller and lose the black border. I'll work up an example later if I have a spare moment.

Moss on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is that an M1 Garrand?)
    ^ yeah that.

I agree with the closure and lack of forms. I think it would be better to push the contrast of shadows, rather then try to imitate Shinkawa's style (which really does need colours and washes to work)

Pics are tits.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow you've got some great arts and photography going on. How do you remain productive while in the army? I don't have shit to do all day, and you completely destroy me in work completed!

earthwormadam on
    edited July 2009
    Okay well I'm trying out some different things. I like the simplicity of the no border one, I feel like being a book cover it shouldn't have a border anyway.

Cruisebookcoverink_concept1.jpg

Cruisebookcoverink_concept2.jpg

I need to talk to the printing company to find out my options, but I was thinking white background with silver print. Any thoughts?

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    white and silver might be hard to read (and/or not eye catching) though I can't say for sure... i'd need to see an example.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited July 2009
    On an unrelated note, here's a watercolor zombie:

CharlieWatercolor2.jpg

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    how about a black cover with silver foil for the art?

mully on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think that would be sexy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited July 2009
    This was in the doodle thread but I plan on finishing it so I may as well post my progress in here.

CisteneCharlie.jpg

I just started this last night like an hour before I went to sleep.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg