As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Diego Comic Con

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got to go to last year's PA panel, which was really cool cuz they were hip-deep in development on their game, so they had lots of nifty stories and bits of info to share.

This year I'm only there Saturday/Sunday and I'll be working a booth most of the time, so I'll have to be really friggin picky about what panels I shoot for. Succcks.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god Ben Browder.

Someone lick him for me.

Tell me if he tastes of space dreams and crackers.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Ben Browder's going to be there this year??? Awesome! I'm totally gay for Ben Browder. I've been telling people at DC/Warner every chance I get to hire him to play the part of Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern film.

Grifter on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i too would like to be gay with ben browder

Rans on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just found something else screwing around with their search engine.
    I don't know if the date is a placeholder or if it'll be part of preview night or what.

Wednesday, July 23
    6:00-7:30 Fringe Pilot Screening #1— Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television proudly present two exclusive premiere screenings of the pilot episode of Fringe, the highly anticipated new FOX series from J.J. Abrams (Lost), Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the team behind the upcoming Star Trek feature, Mission: Impossible 3 and Alias. When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI Special Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv, The Pacific) is called in to investigate. When the search nearly kills her partner, Special Agent John Scott (Mark Valley, Boston Legal), a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter (Josh Jackson, Shutter), in to help. Under Special Agent Phillip Broyles (Lance Reddick, The Wire), our trio will discover that what happened on that fatal flight is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth. Fringe also stars Kirk Acevedo (Oz), Blair Brown (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd) and Jasika Nicole (The Mastersons of Manhattan). From Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Fringe premieres September 9 and airs Tuesdays at 9:00 PM on FOX. (Please note: we will clear the room between screenings. Seating is limited. Pick the screening time that works best for you!) Ballroom 20
    Categories: Nighttime Programming | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

7:30-9:00 Fringe Pilot Screening #2— Comic-Con and Warner Bros. Television proudly present two exclusive premiere screenings of the pilot episode of Fringe, the highly anticipated new FOX series from J.J. Abrams (Lost), Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, the team behind the upcoming Star Trek feature, Mission: Impossible 3 and Alias. When an international flight lands at Boston's Logan Airport and the passengers and crew have all died grisly deaths, FBI Special Agent Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv, The Pacific) is called in to investigate. When the search nearly kills her partner, Special Agent John Scott (Mark Valley, Boston Legal), a desperate Olivia searches frantically for someone to help, leading her to Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), our generation's Einstein. There's only one catch: He's been institutionalized for the last 20 years, and the only way to question him requires pulling his estranged son, Peter (Josh Jackson, Shutter), in to help. Under Special Agent Phillip Broyles (Lance Reddick, The Wire), our trio will discover that what happened on that fatal flight is only a small piece of a larger, more shocking truth. Fringe also stars Kirk Acevedo (Oz), Blair Brown (The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd) and Jasika Nicole (The Mastersons of Manhattan). From Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Fringe premieres September 9 and airs Tuesdays at 9:00 PM on FOX. (Please note: we will clear the room between screenings. Seating is limited. Pick the screening time that works best for you!) Ballroom 20
    Categories: Nighttime Programming | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Television

akajaybay on
  • Options
    BecksBecks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    i too would like to be gay with ben browder

am i ben browder?

Becks on
    content-warning.gifaa2monkeyline9hk.gif23tsbpk.gifquote1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Are you?

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The Thursday schedule is out now officially.
    I'm going to pull down what I copied above as i think there's been a few changes. At least I noticed the Darkcastle Entertainment panel is more specific to what they're going to be showing. There may be more differences. Don't use the leaked one to plan by really.
    http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_thu.php

akajaybay on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it just me or is the con getting a lot more video game love this year? It makes sense, given that E3 is a week earlier and less than 2 hours away, but still. Just on Thursday alone there's the Spore panel, the Activision and Stan Lee panel, the Capcom panel on Street FIghter IV, the episodic adventure gaming roundtable, and a generic "so you want to be a game developer?"-type panel. And I've already received invites to 3 different game developer-sponsored press parties.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You can also get a good idea what game companies are going to be represented by browing the exhibitor lists.
    http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exhib.php

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Marvel posted a listing of its own panels for the full weekend.
    So the Saturday/Sunday Marvel stuff is in here.
    http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.4168.Convention_Central~colon~_San_Diego_Comic-Con_2008

Are they ending Ultimate Marvel?

akajaybay on
  • Options
    digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm sad I can't see the X-Men panel on Thursday.

As for Ultimate Marvel, I'm sure it will be a "comic book end" rather than a "real world end".

digital.aaron on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Um...ok.

The Sunday schedule is now officially up!

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci08_prog_sun.php

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fantastic! How's that for Kids Day.
    Sunday
    10:30-11:30 It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia— The FX hit comedy series It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is coming to the Con. See an unaired episode from the upcoming season followed by a panel discussion featuring series stars Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton, Charlie Day, Kaitlin Olson, and director Fred Savage. The panel will be moderated by Damon Lindelof, creator/executive producer of Lost. Attendees of the screening and panel have the chance to win one of thousands of prizes. Ballroom 20
    Categories: Humor & Satire | Television

akajaybay on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    that's awesome and also totally bizarre that damon lindelof would be moderating it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Attendees of the screening and panel have the chance to win one of thousands of prizes. Ballroom 20

Makes me wonder:

A) How many people they expect to show up for this panel, since there are "thousands" of prizes, and it's implied that not every person will get one?

and by corollary

B) How big is Ballroom 20?

digital.aaron on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Comic Con really has nothing to do with comics, does it?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not anymore, but I'm okay with that since there are plenty of other conventions around the country that do a good job focusing on comics. San Diego is so broad, but I like to think it helps the industry by being such a pop culture extravaganza and focal point. It's a huge deal now and it came from comic book enthusiasm.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Attendees of the screening and panel have the chance to win one of thousands of prizes. Ballroom 20

Makes me wonder:

A) How many people they expect to show up for this panel, since there are "thousands" of prizes, and it's implied that not every person will get one?

and by corollary

I think it's a bit tongue in cheek.
    Although the largest room does hold something like 6000 people.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Makes me wonder:

and by corollary

I think it's a bit tongue in cheek.
    Although the largest room does hold something like 6000 people.

Yeah. If you know the show, that seems very much like the kind of joke they'd make.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The entire schedule is now up. It looks like Adult Swim will not be having a panel after all, but there will be a Venture Brothers one on Friday that runs at the same time as the one for Penny Arcade and a panel immediately after for Robot Chicken.

Awesomecon will be held on Saturday. It's going to be an event

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think the cartoon network list just combined the venture brothers and robot chicken panels into one listing and called it the adult swim panel. Still the same thing though.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am so pumped for this. This is my second Con, the first being the NY Comic-Con earlier this year. I will be in San Diego for over a week. Woo!

Have talks been going on for a Penny Arcade meet up?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was just browsing around the newly posted exhibition hall map when I found the location for the artist's alley, which prompted me to check out the updated artist's alley listing, which then reveal that Leinil Francis Yu is no longer on the list of artists. This makes me sad, as he is one of my favorite X-book artists.

Oh well. There's still a plethor of other artists that I'm still totally stoked to meet.

digital.aaron on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am so pumped for this. This is my second Con, the first being the NY Comic-Con earlier this year. I will be in San Diego for over a week. Woo!

Have talks been going on for a Penny Arcade meet up?

I think SE++ is talking about some sort of dinner get-together Thursday night. I'd be down for planning something else.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How the hell am I supposed to choose between the PA panel and the Venture Brothers panel? GAH!!!

This is obvious. You must listen to your Penny Arcade masters speak. Otherwise you shall be banned from the site FOREVER!

My badge is going to have my PA handle on it. That excites me.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jeez, there are 5 panels I'm intrested in seeing in the 10-11 AM time frame on Saturday alone. I'm gonna have to make some tough cuts in my panel schedule D:

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I feel your pain. I might even have to cut some panels just so I can go browse the floor and buy stuff and take pictures and what not. This is definitely like 232308x bigger than the NY Comic-Con. I love it.

There are a few panels that I HAVE to see. One is the Resident Evil CGI movie panel. I have seen stuff online about the movie and I need to see this stuff in person. As you can see, I love me some RE. The Sarah Connor Chronicles panel is another I must see. Oh, and the MK vs DC panel. On Gametrailers TV, Boon said they were unveiling like 4-6 characters.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I feel your pain. I might even have to cut some panels just so I can go browse the floor and buy stuff and take pictures and what not. This is definitely like 232308x bigger than the NY Comic-Con. I love it.

There are a few panels that I HAVE to see. One is the Resident Evil CGI movie panel. I have seen stuff online about the movie and I need to see this stuff in person. As you can see, I love me some RE. The Sarah Connor Chronicles panel is another I must see. Oh, and the MK vs DC panel. On Gametrailers TV, Boon said they were unveiling like 4-6 characters.

The wait times also cut into things. Assuming it isn't a wildly popular panel, you want to get in line fifteen minutes to half an hour beforehand. For the really big-name stuff, you might be looking at a few hours to get in. Last year, I got in line for Ballroom 20 around 10:30am on Saturday, hoping to see the 4:30 Futurama panel. I got in around 3:30.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

The wait times also cut into things. Assuming it isn't a wildly popular panel, you want to get in line fifteen minutes to half an hour beforehand. For the really big-name stuff, you might be looking at a few hours to get in. Last year, I got in line for Ballroom 20 around 10:30am on Saturday, hoping to see the 4:30 Futurama panel. I got in around 3:30.

How big was the line in front of you at 10:30am?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

How big was the line in front of you at 10:30am?

Are you familiar with the convention center?

It was looped about halfway around the building. The problem is that the good panels start early and people just camp out all day.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, was that line exactly for the panel or was it everyone waiting to enter the building?

Also, a question for whoever, do they charge for most autograph sessions? Like say I go to the Attack of the Show autograph session, you think they would make people pay? From what I was reading on the autograph page of the Comic-Con site, it says they have to sign the Comic-Con book for free (I think).

When I was at the NY Comic-Con, the panels weren't too bad and it seemed like you could just walk up to whoever and get an autograph if you wanted. I assume it isn't like that here.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    By "around the building" (vague phrasing, my bad) I mean that the line wrapped around the upstairs interior hallway spanning the perimeter of the building. It was the line to get into the panels.

I don't bother with autographs, but from what I can tell the official listed autographs are free, but often there will be autograph signings in booths on the show floor that cost money. It depends on who it is, but most people will have some sort of line.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    It depends on who you want an autograph from. Lou Ferigno charges $20 I think per signed photo of him. Most people will sign anything you have that they made. One thing is the collectable guide or whatever you want to call it. No professional can refuse signing that or charge you money for signing it. Generally if you catch somebody walking around or at a booth or something they'll sign something for you. It's only when you try to get con sketches and stuff that you may see somebody ask for money but even then you can manage to get those for free from a lot of people. People like Adam Hughes, Frank Cho and Neal Adams do not do con sketches for free though. In fact, Neal Adams doesn't do con sketches but will be happy to work on a commission for a couple hundred dollars. Hughes always has a lottery where you get a chance to pay him for a sketch.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't remember if I asked this during the NYCC, but I got my vol 1 trade of the walking dead signed by Moore. While I was waiting for him to get done talking to some person, I saw the person give him some money. I believe the guy got something signed and just gave Moore a tip? I felt a little bad after not giving him anything for the autograph.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Adult Swim handed out these great sketchbook/autograph book things a few years ago after their big panel. I like to use that to have people sign things. I can usually get a quick sketch in depending on who I'm in line for

The Cartoon Network people are usually the nicest about this. The creator of Camp Lazlo/Rocko's Modern Life drew all sorts of stuff for me. The people from Billy & Mandy were told that they only had time to sign autographs before a panel, but since I was at the end of that line they decided they could do a bit more.

Cartoon Network actually gave out smaller version of the books last year so maybe they'll do it again. They're actually my favorite booth because of the giveaways. T-shirts, bookbags, keychains, sketchbooks, etc. The only group who even comes close to that level of freebies is the Penny Arcade booth (where they will just spit right on you).

The guy who made Bleach (some weird anime thing) will be at comic-con. I wish I was interested in the series so this would be exciting news

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't remember if I asked this during the NYCC, but I got my vol 1 trade of the walking dead signed by Moore. While I was waiting for him to get done talking to some person, I saw the person give him some money. I believe the guy got something signed and just gave Moore a tip? I felt a little bad after not giving him anything for the autograph.

it sounds like he might actually have been pre-paying for a commissioned sketch. you don't tip creators for signing your books (at least, i never have, and i've never seen or heard of anyone else doing it)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You are supposed to tip your mods though.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It is generally considered good etiquette to tip for an autograph, but most creators will also accept a firm kiss on the cheek.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »

It is generally considered good etiquette to tip for an autograph, but most creators will also accept a firm kiss on the cheek.

How about a slightly flaccid kiss with a bit of a lick afterwards? Is this still ok?

digital.aaron on