As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How I mine for ink?

2»

• GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cake-

What makes you think that their current asthetic is their only one? I know for a fact that all the people I mentioned are extremely multi-faceted (i know many of them personaly). And, I can tell you that most of those artists can really make an illustration what they wanted it to be. The whole point to figuring stuff out in an exploratory manner is to develop and keep developing. Saul Steinburg had a successful long winded run- and was really really good, and he never had any academic training.

Don't get me wrong though, I value strong fundementals as a crucial bit to the artist- but not in any kind of arbitrary pathway. Do it all at once. But then it really comes down to what you want out of it. If your complacent without having no unique voice at all, and just want to do concept art and trading card images forever then thats cool.

But if you want to be a cultural player, your going to have to become sophisticated in the cultural game. This means abondoning the pretentious art jock nature of ateliers. Jesse Ledoux never went to school, and only employs a sliver of fundemental discussion in his work- but its still good, its still fresh, its still successful, and its still evolving. And thats the great thing about illustration and art. Its one of the few feilds that your success is directly correlated with your quality. There are exceptions, but in general the fundies that kick it old school are only limiting their own personality and pigeon-holing themselves for the long run.

And I dont know where you heard that thing about picasso denouncing his own work, I have not heard that.

Maday- Sorry if all thats derailing, I think its pretty important.

Greatnation on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cultural player? That just screams bullshit. I hesitate to label Jesse Ledoux an illustrator. He is certainly a great designer. But an illustrator? He has a couple of illustrations in his portfolio but 95% of it is design work.

Greatnation there is no way to resolve this arguement. You think being good is some kind of magical personal journey of exploration and I think being good is being able to do whatever the hell you want with your work.

If you don't think there is expression in this than I don't know what else to say to you. Don't assume you know anything about that nature of ateliers. Do you go to an atelier? Have you even been to an atelier? Just because I am rigid and strict about what I say people should be doing doesn't mean my school is. My school just preaches that a foundation in SKILL is good for all artists in all fields. I don't work hard. I don't study from the masters. I should, but I don't. And that is why I probably will never excel until I get my shit together.

In any case, I don't take kindly to the implications that trading card work is some kind of unworthy art. That is bullshit, the guys I know who do trading card work are good friends and spectacular artists. I would love to see you go pay the bills with your unique voice. Don't get me wrong, it happens, but its like training to win the lottery or something. You learn the foundation, and then use those skills to do with what you want, and your work will not go unoticed because of its sheer quality.
    From the moment art ceases to be food that feeds the best minds, the artist can use his talents to perform all the all the tricks of the intellectual charlatan.

Most people today can no longer expect to receive consolation and exaltation from art. The ‘refined’, the rich, the professional ‘do nothings’, the distillers of quintessence desire only the peculiar, the sensational, the eccentric, the scandalous in today’s art. I myself, since the advent of cubism, have fed these fellows what they wanted and satisfied these critics with all the ridiculous ideas that have passed through my mind. The less they understand them, the more they admire me. Through amusing myself with all these absurd farces, I became celebrated, and very rapidly. For a painter, celebrity means sales and consequent affluence. Today, as you know, I am celebrated, I am rich. But when I am alone, I do not have the effrontery to consider myself an artist at all, not in the grand old meaning of the word; Giotto, Titian, Remembrant, Goya were great painters. I am only a public clown- a mountebank.

I have understood my time and have exploited the imbecility, the vanity, the greed of my contemporaries. It is a bitter confession, this confession of mine, more painful then it may seem. But at least and at last it does have the merit of being honest.”

---Pablo Picasso

Damnit stop making me out to be an ass. All I want to say is that hard work in art, as in all things is important. Cover your bases.

rts on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Are you guys really arguing about the validity of contemporary art and concept? Cause thats what it sounds like. Its a pretty ridiculous debate to conjure from inking advice.

Not trying to squander you two gents in your quarreling, I just think you're arguing very slight hues of the same point, and that its kinda funny you don't really see that.

Iruka on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Its a pretty ridiculous debate to conjure from inking advice. "

yeah, im just gunna stop there. good call. But just or clarification, im not knocking on the validity of any single approach, im just saying that there is no one way and to say such is setting unneccessary limitations. And Ledoux is totally an illustrator, he just reminds us how important design is. Hes a cool dude too, if you get a chance to talk with him take it.

Greatnation on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah sorry I get worked up about this particular topic sometimes.

rts on