As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this safe to do? (Computer Question)

RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
You may have remembered me from similar computer issues before, since I mostly got good advice, let me test my luck with this question.

Previously, I had owned a HP Slimline computer, its merely a family computer so luckily I won't be taking this wonderful computer with crappy ventilation with me when I head off to college on my own. Our previous Slimline fried its harddrive after a night of gaming and a playing of Portal. Hard drive died (making a horrible horrible harddrive death scream that I will never forget.) So we asked for a replacement.

I looked up on the internet on how to prevent such cases of this from happening again, if you're wondering why this happened and have no idea what a HP Slimline is. It's a gimmick of sorts from HP computers, it's a HP desktop computer with a compact small case. It sounds a little too good as as one would think, it has massive overheating problems.

Well the replacement slimline they sent me seems to have a bigger fan and a new ATi card, rather than a Nvidia one, which I believe the ATi has a bit of a bigger fan. Anyway. For the recent month and few weeks I have been using speedfan to monitor my CPU's temperture and have been satisifed with the results. Til now.

When I first had the computer i would get about 42-44C on idle or just basic work. When doing gaming or something CPu intensive, it would quickly raise to 56C then lower back to 44C.

From what I have gathered from some minor tests, the slimline runs less hot when more space is given to it (obviously.) But I have come across a rather intriguing solution. Removing the case.

Now I realize how important the case is to prevent dust clog up, but the damn thing needs air to breathe.
In my trials, having the case open, I get a idle temp of 35C and when I play a hour long game of Team Fortress 2 I get something like 41-44C. Much better improvement. This is much more satisfying, as I'm working on a graduation critical project using the source engine and its rather important to keep this thing alive.

So my question is, is it safe to run a computer with the case open? I screw the case back on after I turn the computer off when I sleep. Basically:

1.) Will this harm the computer more than save it?

2.) Will I have to commonly clean out the dust from the machine?

Thanks in advance.

RCagent on

• Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My cases haven't had covers for almost a decade. Dust gets in there, but it does that anyways.

It's not gonna look pretty, and you have to watch out for stuff falling in, but there's no direct harm to it.

You do more harm to your computer every time you turn it off and on.

falsedef on
  • Options
    MartinMartin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What kind of CPU is it running? Some CPU's run hot, I've got a P4 Prescott that likes to get up to those temperatures (for a few months before I got a new fan it was hitting 60-70).

Nothing wrong with leaving the case open, case fans suck in a lot of dust anyway. When you notice the cpu fan running at a couple hundred RPM's slower than usual, just unplug the computer and vacuum it out. At least, that's what I do.

Anyway, this knowledge isn't scientific or anything, it's just what's worked for me for a few years (although, I have the case back on, now, bought an amazing CPU fan).

Good luck.

Martin on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go for it. The case is there to cut down on noise and to offer some protection to the components from accidents. If you don't mind the noise, and you can avoid banging into the thing there's really no harm in it. You may find that some case fans become unnecessary, since you'll be drastically changing the airflow path and they may not be directing the air at anything that needs cooling.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for the advice, hopefully this thing can live long enough for me to finish my Senior Project.

RCagent on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, we've got some Gateway Profile 5 computers here, (think laptop desktop hybrid) that speedfan reports one of the sensors at running anywhere between 64-99C. Ambient still shows around 40, but that one reading is crazy. The one that had 99 kept bluescreening. Even with the case open and the fan speed turned up it still hangs around 80. Also, on all those computers, speedfan shows them at 100%, and turning them down increases the fan speed.

But to answer your question, yeah, I leave cases open all the time, just watch out for flying stuff.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Go for it. The case is there to cut down on noise and to offer some protection to the components from accidents. If you don't mind the noise, and you can avoid banging into the thing there's really no harm in it. You may find that some case fans become unnecessary, since you'll be drastically changing the airflow path and they may not be directing the air at anything that needs cooling.

That's not completely true at all. An enclosed case means the fans force the air through a very specific and narrow area, meaning the air flows a lot faster and is directed properly across the components requiring good cooling. Assuming your fans work and are configured properly, pulling the side off a case and leaving it open can often lead to the computer components getting hotter than they would with the case closed, because the air flow is a lot slower (in fact, over certain components it will be essentially stationary, only moving due to the heat generated by that component) and it isn't properly directed at the components needing cooling.

If a computer runs cooler with the case open, it's either because the fans are shit, the fans are configured wrong (like, they all blow in, front and back, or they are orientated the wrong way around, inhaling at the top back and exhausting at the front bottom), the fans are broken or you've put over-powered components inside a vanity case that wasn't designed to enclose performance kit in the first place.

To be honest, the HP Slimline cases look like a complete bastard to cool efficiently. Looking at pictures of it, there doesn't seem to be much, if anything, in the way of a front air intake, but on the other hand the entire back of the case is one big grill. You could maybe try jury-rigging a couple of fans to the outside of the back, one at the bottom blowing in and one at the top blowing out (might not be necessary as the PSU will be blowing out anyway and the CPU fan seems to be positioned so it blows air over the CPU heat sink and out the back) but I don't know. The case is tiny and I don't think I'd be comfortable putting anything in there that was going to do anything more strenuous than a spot of web browsing, office work or some lightweight multimedia TiVO/DVD playering. It's certainly not an ideal candidate for a high-performance gaming PC.

If all else fails, move to Siberia and keep a window open when you're gaming.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AtomBomb wrote: »

That's not completely true at all. An enclosed case means the fans force the air through a very specific and narrow area, meaning the air flows a lot faster and is directed properly across the components requiring good cooling. Assuming your fans work and are configured properly, pulling the side off a case and leaving it open can often lead to the computer components getting hotter than they would with the case closed, because the air flow is a lot slower (in fact, over certain components it will be essentially stationary, only moving due to the heat generated by that component) and it isn't properly directed at the components needing cooling.

I think we're making the same point. I probably shouldn't have used the word unnecessary. I meant that by opening the case you may affect the airflow so that some fans no longer increase cooling (because they are no longer pointed at whatever they were before or the air channel is no longer there). If the fan isn't doing anything useful there is no use in running it. A properly planned air path should always run cooler than an open air setup (I learned this working on air-cooled VW engines). However, if the design is shit (as is often the case with slimlines) you may find that open air works better.

Hopefully that made more sense.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, completely. Kinda makes it a bit pointless for the guy to have bought a pretty little shiny case if he's just going to have to run it with it's guts exposed, but then I get the impression these HP slimlines weren't designed for gaming anyway. Rather I think they are for casual home users or office environments where small and concealed is preferable over sustained performance.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, from what I've seen, having the slimline's case opened, all the parts feel cool and non hot. I don't see how heat can build up. I've touched the heat sink, and other various parts while grounded, and all the parts when running without the case are cool, maybe a slight bit warm.

When opening the case after being on on idle the case and the heatsinks are incredibly hot.

I'm just using my logic here and stick with leaving it with the case opened. It seems to be much safer this way.

RCagent on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you are truly worried about not getting enough air-flow with an open case, point a desk-top fan at the open case. This should provide more cool air to the system than even the most well designed air-path with the case closed...

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    Well, from what I've seen, having the slimline's case opened, all the parts feel cool and non hot. I don't see how heat can build up. I've touched the heat sink, and other various parts while grounded, and all the parts when running without the case are cool, maybe a slight bit warm.

When opening the case after being on on idle the case and the heatsinks are incredibly hot.

I'm just using my logic here and stick with leaving it with the case opened. It seems to be much safer this way.

Yeah, the heat shouldn't build up exactly with the case opened, just that most of the components will passively cool (unless you do the desktop fan thing). That passive cooling may or may not be enough to stop individual components overheating under heavy load. Comparatively, an properly laid out, actively cooled case should in theory allow the components to 'run hotter' because it can cool them a lot more aggressively and thus balance out any additional heat that they generate through being worked more vigorously. That theory requires that the case design and fan layout be good though. If it isn't, or if the case has no active cooling - neither intake nor exhaust - and is thus relying entirely on its components being passively cooled, then you'd probably be better off with the lid off (unless the case is some sort of ingenious ergonomic design that uses the heat from the components to draw fresh air in the bottom and vent it out the top, which all cases do in theory, just not particularly fast).

Some computer builds will happily run with no fans and all passive cooling, of course. You can theoretically take a small form factor multimedia case, not install any fans, put in a motherboard, graphics card and CPU that are all passively cooled with heatsinks but no fans and it'll run fine. The compromise is that you won't be able to put particularly high performance components in, you'll want to find things that run cool - chips designed for laptops, eg - and you won't be able to get it to perform any particularly staggering feats of graphics processing or number crunching. The benefit is that it's an extremely quiet box, which is great if it's sitting in your living room or office.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RCagent wrote: »

Yeah, the heat shouldn't build up exactly with the case opened, just that most of the components will passively cool (unless you do the desktop fan thing). That passive cooling may or may not be enough to stop individual components overheating under heavy load. Comparatively, an properly laid out, actively cooled case should in theory allow the components to 'run hotter' because it can cool them a lot more aggressively and thus balance out any additional heat that they generate through being worked more vigorously. That theory requires that the case design and fan layout be good though. If it isn't, or if the case has no active cooling - neither intake nor exhaust - and is thus relying entirely on its components being passively cooled, then you'd probably be better off with the lid off (unless the case is some sort of ingenious ergonomic design that uses the heat from the components to draw fresh air in the bottom and vent it out the top, which all cases do in theory, just not particularly fast).

Some computer builds will happily run with no fans and all passive cooling, of course. You can theoretically take a small form factor multimedia case, not install any fans, put in a motherboard, graphics card and CPU that are all passively cooled with heatsinks but no fans and it'll run fine. The compromise is that you won't be able to put particularly high performance components in, you'll want to find things that run cool - chips designed for laptops, eg - and you won't be able to get it to perform any particularly staggering feats of graphics processing or number crunching. The benefit is that it's an extremely quiet box, which is great if it's sitting in your living room or office.

Well, when I run the case open, I always have the ceiling fan running on full blast on top. Would that change anything?

RCagent on