As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sharing some work and looking for critiques on others

AarianAarian Registered User new member
edited February 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey, I do a lot of game-related work because I'm an unoriginal bastard. People find them amusing so I thought I might share some with you guys.
I'm mainly looking for critiques on some pieces as CGTalk and ConceptArt.org frighten me.

The most recent piece I've been messing around with is a Zbrush model of Vin Diesel. Any feedback would be appreciated.
02-06-08---zvin2.jpg
larger

And while the following are as done as I'm ever going to take them, I would still appreciate feedback for the future if you've got it.

Jinmen-Gyo - Contra Shattered Soldier
07-28-07---jinmen-gyo.jpg

Fiery Dino Piranha - Super Mario Galaxy
11-30-07---pirahna.jpg

Shoma - Rival Schools
12-09-07---shoma5.jpg

Raja - Phantasy Star IV
07-03-07---raja3.jpg

Ludwig von Koopa - Super Mario Bros 3
03-01-07---ludwig2.jpg

Wendy
07-12-07---wendy-fin.jpg

And if anybody happens to know my work, it's probably for this picture:
05-28-06---mario-sun3.jpg
It's showing its age, but is still worth showing.

Some early robot concept stuff. Untextured.
06-15-06---pose3.jpg
06-15-06---pose1.jpg

PS2_Controller_by_GaryStorkamp.jpg

Ninja Turtle
12-05-06---turtle2.jpg
Neither teenage nor mutant, but damnit, he's trying.

If there is any interest, I'll post some more later. Thanks.

Aarian on

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    I am imagining the robot doing this.

Also high fives for Koopa Kids fan art! That's the first time I can say I've seen any of them.

All I can really think that bothers me is a lot of your highlights and main light sources are white. Maybe bacon can chime in on this. The harsh rim lighting is quite extreme and seem to be in everything but the piranha and Contra one.

bombardier on
  • in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jinmen-Gyo - Contra Shattered Soldier

Why does this remind me of the horrible mutated bastard son of Seaman?

That aside, I'm really impressed by the quality of your fan art. Most times, I just can't bring myself to appreciate fan art because they go for the originals style of art. I really appreciate the realistic approach that you took to otherwise unrealistic characters.

I think that the only complaint that I have, is the main perspective doesn't seem to change much. Yeah, its dynamic, but varity is also a great thing.

in_absentia on
  • DaxxDaxx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah that Jinmen-Gyo - Contra Shattered Soldier pic about made me spit my coffee, lol. I like it.

And everything else is just superb. Keep up the good work.

Daxx on
    PAsig.gif
  • flundraflundra Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Competent stuff, something bothers me about the lightning as well though. Too much white, rim lightning, a bit undefined strokes in some of them, something or other. 3d stuff is nice as well, keep it up.

flundra on
    banner.png
  • MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just have to say, I never thought a rendition of a video game character could so reproduce the stench of fear equated with those heart-throbbing moments of bliss. Your Mario superbly captures the cold, cold sweat of that damn level.

Bravo!

Mertzy on
    THE END.