Options

[Chat]orable!

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Man, Christopher Hitchens would make a great Bond villain.

That's incredibly true.

To be played by Philip Seymour Hoffman?

meta

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The drummer for the now defunct Soul Coughing was motherfucking banananas. That dude embodied rhythm.

Yes, I'm aware there's an extra "-na-" above.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Man, everybody's seen NCFOM but me now.

Me: "Want to go see a movie?"
    Girlfriend: "Let's go see Golden Compass!"
    Me: "I was thinking NCFOM."
    Girlfriend: "I don't feel like seeing a movie anyway."

I love her, but Christ, we really need to work on her tastes.

I've pretty much always been right, so after the fourth or so time of suggesting something fucking awesome, she pretty much trusts me with anything.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Leave me alone with her in a room with a TV and a DVD player for five weeks. I'll straighten her out.

Gim on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim what's your favorite movie? Like favorite favoritest? Your most favorite ever?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim wrote: »

Leave me alone with her in a room with a TV and a DVD player for five weeks. I'll straighten her out.

This is a bad idea on at least one level.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

I've pretty much always been right, so after the fourth or so time of suggesting something fucking awesome, she pretty much trusts me with anything.

My girlfriend never got to that point. It took months of pestering to get her to watch Leon. She didn't want to watch American History X until I mentioned that it had Ed Norton, and that was only after many attempts to get her to watch Fight Club. She still won't watch Fear and Loathing with me, she fails to admit that Juno was a better choice than our other options, it took me watching Nine Months with her until she'd watch Se7en with me.

She loves every one of those movies now, but fuck if I can get her to watch another one in my shelf.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    the worst letter in Scrabble to have on your lap, by far, must be 'I'

on the board? open 'I's are amazing

but never, never on your lap

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My girlfriend never got to that point. It took months of pestering to get her to watch Leon. She didn't want to watch American History X until I mentioned that it had Ed Norton, and that was only after many attempts to get her to watch Fight Club. She still won't watch Fear and Loathing with me, she fails to admit that Juno was a better choice than our other options, it took me watching Nine Months with her until she'd watch Se7en with me.

She loves every one of those movies now, but fuck if I can get her to watch another one in my shelf.

It did help that the girl who's taste I am enhancing is Chinese and started with crap like CSI and the Saw movies.

I've given her Dexter, Arrested Development, Futurama, Memento, Stranger than Fiction, and Inside Man.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I used to think that having compatible taste with your partner mattered, but now I don't.

Although I still wouldn't date a girl who was a fan of anything Dallas related. Just like, rules, you know.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    That is an excellent observation about 'I'. I think the solution is to save up until you have like, four, then throw 'em all back in.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also, she refuses to watch The Boondocks and Venture Bros. It's rather sad. I have to watch Home Improvement until she falls asleep and I can change the channel.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    D:

Home Improvement? What the hell?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've never watched Venture Bros..

No lie -- the fact that Kusu was fanatic about it did wonders towards encouraging my disinterest.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Nick at Nite.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I hate that question because I've seen so relatively few movies, at least good ones. I could go with 2001 because it's gorgeous and I don't mind just sitting there and letting it wash over me with its usual nothingness and its occasional periods of intensity. I saw Blood Wedding a month ago and that really made a strong impression on me. Alien will always be a favorite of mine, although it is beginning to slip a little bit in my judgment. I could go really pop culture with something like The Empire Strikes Back which is still a treat to watch today as it was all those years ago when I began watching it. Aguirre: The Wrath of God is always able to pack a punch when I watch it. Baraka is a visual feast that I always enjoy experiencing for all its experimental aesthetic perfection. I contend that The Elephant Man doesn't have a wasted shot in the entire film, looks beautiful, and has a truly touching ending. The Holy Mountain is crazy and fun to behold. Mr. Death is chilling and extremely well put together.

So, to answer your question: shit, I dunno, Léon?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Venture Bros. has its moments, and quite a few of them. It's a bit uneven, but it's some of the funniest work Warburton's ever done.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That is an excellent observation about 'I'. I think the solution is to save up until you have like, four, then throw 'em all back in.
    That's actually exactly what I did against Feral. I had three of them, and instead of making a mediocre play I realized the leftovers included a whole bunch of high-scorers (like 3 of the 15 tiles left, plus lots of 2-4pters left). I swapped into the X, which would later be used in a 35-point play! :D

Er, that is to say, I agree with you. :)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    celery77 wrote: »

No lie -- the fact that Kusu was fanatic about it did wonders towards encouraging my disinterest.

I've never watched any of those shows on whatever channel that is or whatever the whole thing is called.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My two favorites are Spirited Away and Mulholland Drive.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You has good tastes. Lynch FTW.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008

Kusu is crazy about a lot of things. Your best option is just to dismiss all his opinions.

Also, I'm watching the Boondocks right now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    @ Gim:

Hmmm.

I sat down, with conviction, to answer the same question years ago -- favorite favoritest ever everest movie -- and I settled on Happy Together by Wong Kar Wai rather concretely. I put together a top 5, which grew to 6, and still felt criminally short. So much technical expertise, so many personal moments between me and the filmmaker, so much brilliance, etc., but you know what actually happened? I realized that Happy Together was the most technically brilliant, most personally touching, and most politically progressive film I'd ever seen. All rolled into one. And I was satisfied. And all other movies offered huge rewards, but they didn't do what Wong Kar Wai did in his masterpiece of masterpieces.

But besides that I've seen a few of the movies you've seen, obviously, but they all ring hollow on some level to me. To begin -- Mr. Death? Easily the worst of Errol Morris' films. I know it's all personal, but this is the game we play.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    That's actually exactly what I did against Feral. I had three of them, and instead of making a mediocre play I realized the leftovers included a whole bunch of high-scorers (like 3 of the 15 tiles left, plus lots of 2-4pters left). I swapped into the X, which would later be used in a 35-point play! :D

Er, that is to say, I agree with you. :)

I'm a big fan of tossing the low shit if I end up with three or more 'I's and/or 'U's.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    #2 was All the Real Girls by the way, which I think any man who is age 22-30 should be desperately in love with just like me. Maybe non-white men can get a pass, but all white men age 22-30 should have that movie in their top 5.

Obviously, if you're a married white man age 22-20, you're just a piece of shit.

• Options
    edited February 2008

You has good tastes. Lynch FTW.

Spirited Away is surreal, with an ethereal, dreamlike quality that I just adore.

Mulholland Drive is surreal like a goddamn nightmare. It's great.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My favorites are pretty predictable. It comes down to Leon, Blazing Saddles, and The Incredibles for me. There are others, but I will never get tired of those three.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I thought about making a whole post to commemorate 20k posts, wherein I would grade D&D posters on a 10 out of 10 scale, but then again I would just be jacking the steez of this dude on my other board, and the mods would probably shut that shit down quick, and it would be more cliquey than D&D is really supposed to be.

Then again, I might still do it, just to see how many feelings get hurt.

yeah i mean everyone else would just be jealous that i got 10 out of 10
    Well, 10 out of 10 minus the mandatory -8 for living in Jersey, so 2 out of 10 in the end.

aw dang

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Leon... The one with Jean Reno?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I hear Thin Blue Line is better. Haven't seen it. I saw Fast, Cheap and Out of Control, but it didn't do much for me. I should probably get around to seeing Fog of War one of these times.

All the Real Girls ranks up there for me as well.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Also know as The Professional in America. I have a hard on for Luc Besson and Gary Oldman, honestly.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh fuck the goddamn bingos

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited February 2008

the one with natalie portman you communist

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    night guys!!!!!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Night Mike!!!!!

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eight miles high and when you touch down
    You'll find that it's stranger than known
    Signs in the street that say where you're going
    Are somewhere just being their own

That makes me want to go on a Gram Parsons hunt.

I think he died in 1973. But hey, good luck with the grave robbing.

Good luck indeed. I think I'll listen to Emmylou Harris while I'm digging.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I hear Thin Blue Line is better. Haven't seen it. I saw Fast, Cheap and Out of Control, but it didn't do much for me. I should probably get around to seeing Fog of War one of these times.

All the Real Girls ranks up there for me as well.
    Gim -- did you just hear my heart snap in half?

Because it just did.

Have you seen Gates of Heaven at least? Jesus! It's like you hate everything I stand for!

(Errol Morris is perhaps my favorite director ever, but it's so hard to rank a non-fiction filmmaker against a fiction filmmaker. Morris blurs the two, but it's so hard to jump between when deciding what you love most. I went with the fiction makers in the end, because of that whole "fiction finds truths that reality can't" or whatever.)

• Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to take a shot of gin and see if I can't pass out. I haven't had a beer in so long I think I'm going through the DTs.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Gary Oldman is pretty much incredible in general.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to take a shot of gin and see if I can't pass out. I haven't had a beer in so long I think I'm going through the DTs.
    Wait wait -- I'm almost there.

And don't worry about the detox thing. As long as you lead a productive life, your consumption should be a non-issue.

This discussion has been closed.