Options

[Chat]orable!

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. It occurs to me that I haven't had my phone with me for the past eight hours.

I was wondering why I felt so unpopular.

I've also probably pissed a few people off.

>.>

Damn.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hehe. Ooh, that reminds me to look at curry places for tonight :)

I want to watch Enchanted again...

Janson on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm probably going to watch Cloverfield tonight. I hope I'll not be disappointed (like that overhyped Blair Witch Project pice of shit it's been compared to).

Haphazard on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janson wrote: »

Amy Adams. And that movie was actually really quite funny. And if you're emigrating from Britain, to what nation are you immigrating, if you don't mind my asking?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »

Amy Adams. And that movie was actually really quite funny. And if you're emigrating from Britain, to what nation are you immigrating, if you don't mind my asking?

The US of A!

I am going to have to endure teasing from my family for years to come.

Also, the movie was just plain good fun, which was soooo refreshing after months of films like No Country for Old Men and Atonement and Sweeney Todd (Juno just wasn't light-heated enough). And yes, Amy Adams is adorable!

Janson on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

To the United States of Japanica, a fictional country ruled with an iron-fist by k_a.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

To the United States of Japanica, a fictional country ruled with an iron-fist by k_a.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just be happy you're over 18, because for women under 18 in the USJ the photo on the national-ID is federally mandated to be an upskirt.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Instead I'm in the untouchable old maid territory!

Unless I become a teacher, right?

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think of all the education that I missed.
    But then my homework was never quite like this.
    Got it bad, got it bad, got it bad,
    Im hot for teacher.
    :whistle:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Instead I'm in the untouchable old maid territory!

Unless I become a teacher, right?

Well, you're allowed to have sex if you become a teacher, yeah, but you're not allowed to consent to it. Sorry, it has to be like in anime or else it's illegal.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think there's a ninjutsu exemption to the teacher thing.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the tentacle clause.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think there's a ninjutsu exemption to the teacher thing.

Or maybe I'm thinking of the tentacle clause.

Yeah, women who are ninjas work the same way except they can only have sex with demons or other monsters.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah. From immigration expenses to hentai tentacle pron. Just another day in [chat].

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bully! What's all this now?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to be bitching about immigration expenses a lot, sorry everyone. Here are some pre-emptive hearts to help you overlook my posts: <3<3<3

Janson on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuckers, telling me on Wednesday that the book would probably be in on Friday and then sending a mail just after I walk out the door telling me it won't arrive till Tuesday. D:

Oh well, I still have another book to read, I think I'll try finishing that mofo over the weekend (*snarf*). t Chuck: Haven't heard of that one yet, did Diamond wrote another book? I read the first chapter of Lomborg's "sceptical environmentalist" the other day, but it's so full of logical fallacies and plain mud throwing that I'm not going to read the rest of the book. I saw his talk on TED and he has a point, but he is horribly naive and makes wrong assumptions.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bully! What's all this now?

Well timed sir. VC and Loren were just enumerating the various sexual restrictions of Japanica, based as they are upon the always tasteful pron division of anime.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh god and my children are going to be heathen Americans

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Be glad. It's almost impossible for a Chinese person to immigrate to the United States, or any other wealthy western nation, unless they're fucking loaded.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

They're not going to be Anglican/Episcopalians? I mean, the American part yeah, but heathens?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

At least they won't have your terrible accent.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Shame on you! Repent, repent!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

They're not going to be Anglican/Episcopalians? I mean, the American part yeah, but heathens?

Yeah they're going to be heathen

But even if they were going to follow a religion, they'd still be heathen. Just because. :P

At least they won't have your terrible accent.

You mean my much-better-than-any-American accent

Janson on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janson has a pretty cool accent.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    To sum up the past half hour: Do immigrant tentacles have cool accents?

Edit: And hello stilist, btw. ;-)

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

This is why the United States hates foreigners.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

This is why the United States hates foreigners.

I tease because I love <3

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    you can't melt my xenophobic heart

it fears too much

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Be glad. It's almost impossible for a Chinese person to immigrate to the United States, or any other wealthy western nation, unless they're fucking loaded.
    Its really not hard for anyone who's managed to study here to get permanent residency, and that's basically a formality prior to citizenship. I don't know anyone horribly poor who's done it, but anyone who can make it in to the country and score a few clandestine work hours over the 20 a week the student visa allows can manage well enough.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

The visa I am doing costs exactly the same and takes near enough the same amount of time (sometimes more, but also sometimes less) for people in China, or Russia, or anywhere in Europe or most of Asia. The only people who truly have difficulties regardless of how difficult their individual case is is people in the Middle East or Northern Africa. Even then, it costs the same for them, too.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Its really not hard for anyone who's managed to study here to get permanent residency, and that's basically a formality prior to citizenship. I don't know anyone horribly poor who's done it, but anyone who can make it in to the country and score a few clandestine work hours over the 20 a week the student visa allows can manage well enough.

Typically in order to get a visa (for study included), I've been made to understand you need to literally have a great deal of money in your bank account, such that the Chinese middle class is basically stuck vacationing in Asia.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Haps, I dub thee designated [chat] recapper. You may now begin any post with:

"...and if you're just joining us, here's what you've missed..."

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know, maybe, but to be honest there's so freaking many of them here that you can't possibly need more than a few thousand yuen, given the relative size of the middle class. There can't be that many of them who want to be here, and the ones with real money have far more power back in China than here, because the rule of law is much weaker. Once you're at the top, life is pretty sweet for anyone who's happy with the degree of kowtowing expected of subordinates there.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

So all they have to do to immigrate is deliberately risk deportation?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I could do that, but I'd miss too much. Well, maybe I could do the night shift, so to speak.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Honestly I think it should be a lot easier to switch countries in general. Too easy in fact.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think you're missing a lot of stuff, veec: first, that the people doing this are pretty much dumping every cent of their illicit earnings straight back into the local economy as they buy, you know, food and rent, that they're dumping even more cash in through study, and that they're filling skills shortages all over the place. I don't think anyone's been deported off a student visa here for working 'too much' like ever. The only people who get the boot are those that turn to petty crime, and I think I'm cool with that. Also, we don't actively hate foreigners nearly as much here :rotate:

so yeah, the system's unfair compared to the help citizens get with study loans and stuff, but its not evil. Otherwise my flatmates wouldn't have done nearly so well for themselves.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know, maybe, but to be honest there's so freaking many of them here that you can't possibly need more than a few thousand yuen, given the relative size of the middle class. There can't be that many of them who want to be here, and the ones with real money have far more power back in China than here, because the rule of law is much weaker. Once you're at the top, life is pretty sweet for anyone who's happy with the degree of kowtowing expected of subordinates there.

It's not a position I'll defend to the death, as it's not anything I've actually researched myself. It's just the standard response I've gotten from the non-super-rich Chinese I know whenever I suggest that America would be a cool place for them to go.

I think the standard price is a hundred thousand RMB or so, which granted, isn't a lot by, say, my standards, but it's quite a bit to have laying around for most Chinese.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I could do that, but I'd miss too much. Well, maybe I could do the night shift, so to speak.

Well, how 'bout you only recap if you recap amusingly. So, you know, bide your time and recap when all the recapping stars have aligned.

Alecthar on
This discussion has been closed.