As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Another "I'm building a computer" thread...

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
  • Budget: How much money are you willing to spend on the new build?

I filed my taxes today and I'll be getting $1300, total. Half of it in the next two weeks, and the other half in the next four-six weeks. I'm willing to go above this, of course with money I'll be making from working. So, I'll say $1500-$1600.

• Brands: Are there any brands of components you want or don't want?

I prefer AMD and NVIDIA, but won't brush off Intel or ATI if there's obviously better hardware, for a better price.

• Multitasking: Will you be multitasking with this computer and if so, how much?

A lot?

• Gaming: Will you be gaming and if so, how much and how new are the games?

YES. After this, I will be keeping up on all games.

• Calculations: Will you be doing any intense calculations or media encoding?

It's something I'm interested in, but have been held back because of my computer.

• Overclocking: Do you plan on overclocking and if so, how much?

No, I don't trust myself to do that. But it would be nice to have that option? I don't really know too much about overclocking.

• Storage: How much storage will you need and what will you be storing?

150GB should do it.

• Legacy Support: Will you need support for older hardware like parallel, serial, or PS/2 devices?

I'd have to research more and see exactly what types I would need personally.

• Operating System: Do you want Windows XP or Vista, or Linux compatibility?

I'll be using Windows XP Pro, but I would like Vista to work on it in case I ever feel the need to upgrade. I'm also interested in dual-booting Linux in the future.

• Case: Do you want help selecting a case and if so, how big do you want it?

Preferablly Full Sized ATX with a tool less design. My hardware book recommends a case by Foxconn... I'm looking for it on Newegg now.
  • Accessories: Do you want a keyboard, mouse, or other items included?

Keyboard, I plan on buying the Logitech G-14.

• Recycled Components: Will you be reusing any components you already have?

NO.

• Monitor: If you want a monitor, what size do you want and should it be wide screen?

Wide screen and 20-22 inches should do... I think?

• Stores: Do you have any on line stores that you prefer to purchase from?

I just want good deals and reliability.

USA.

Some more information:

I definitely want to have a capture card, so I can record game play videos or what have you from my Xbox 360.

I'm not interested in a wireless network card.

If you need anything else, just ask. I'm going to be reading my hardware reference book. All your recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I'll be building this myself. I'm 99% sure that it doesn't matter, but I'm a wannabe (game?) programmer, I'll definitely be entering the mod scene with this computer. :pray:

Thank you!

Regicid3 on

• Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In my excitement, I didn't even notice the special thread and it won't let me delete this one, so...

Regicid3 on