Options

[Diplomacy] JPP01 - Game Called: Italy Wins!

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And by "Spain" I mean "France".

If I'm France I'm going to call myself Spain.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just would like to point out that collusion between games wouldn't really impact Diplomacy more than any other external affiliations. Making and breaking deals is the name of the game, even if you work with someone you can never reallly trust anyone.

I mean, Jdarksun and I had an agreement not to approach each others borders, since we were two guys pretty much surrounded. One less front to worry about. That kept us going early in the game, and then with inactivity we pretty much just swept over our own halves. We made a deal mostly because we have a history in RP games here together.

You can't have things completely fair and neutral from past relationships unless you anonymize everyone and work as a proxy for all communications. That would probably not be worth it imo.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EXTRA! EXTRA! ZURICH SUMMIT COLLAPSES

The heads of state of Europe, meeting in Zurich, Switzerland over the past week-end, have failed to come to an agreement on the status of military forces on the Continent. The summit, which had been called by President of the Swiss Confederation Monsieur J.P. Pavek in the name of peace, resulted only in deadlock.

Delegations from His Majesty Varcayn of England, King Gumpy of France, Generalissimo Visiblehowl of Italy, Kaiser Stew_Stick of Germany, and Grand Duke Papillon of Austria were all present in number at the conference, as were ambassadors plenipotentiary from the far-off realms of Sultan Infidel of the Ottoman Turks and Tsar TheLawinator of Russia. Despite many rounds of talks, no agreement could be reached amongst the parties on disarmament, or the establishment of a formal treaty governing the deployment of army groups and naval fleets within Europa.

This last chance at averting conflict dashed, analysts warn that war may now be imminent.

The Random Number Generator decrees:
    • England: Varcayn
    • France: Gumpy
    • Italy: visiblehowl
    • Germany: Stew_Stick
    • Austria: Papillon
    • Turkey: Infidel
    • Russia: TheLawinator
    Please do not send game messages prior to 10 PM EST Sunday.

After this time, you may negotiate to your heart's content. This is just to give everyone a chance to notice their countries, and maybe start thinking about strategy before the PMs start flying. You can still chat it up here, out-of-character. After Sunday, any messages posted here by the players may be presumed (correctly or not) to be game-related.

Orders for Fall 1901 will be due 10 PM EST Wednesday.

I will post a reminder 24 hours in advance, but you are welcome to send in any number of order sets before then. Only the last set will be read and acted upon.

Got questions? Ask away!

Still taking reserves!

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    King Gumpy of france?

Robotic King Gumpy of france more like.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Muahahahahaha Russia!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AAAARRGGGH ITALY!

This will be interesting...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Germany is certainly a step up from Itay.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sultan eh?

I like the sound of that.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, I was actually hoping for England. Good work RNG.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Game on!

Gentlemen, you may start your negotiating.

Orders are due 10 PM EST Wednesday February 13th.

Please remember to put "Spring 1901 Orders from [Country]" in the subject line of any PMs. You may send as many different order sets as you like between now and the deadline, but only the last set will be read and acted upon. So remember to include full orders each time.

The current map, for reference, is here:
    JPP01-Spring1901start.jpg

Just as a reminder, if you choose to use abbreviated province names when writing your orders: in most cases the abbreviations are the first three letters of the province name. There are a few exceptions, which are written on this map (look for the typewriter-style font).

Questions? Let me know, and good luck to all!

edit - Agh, I initially wrote Fall, not Spring, and then faked myself out for a sec. This is the Spring 1901 turn, next will be Fall 1901 after the Wednesday deadline. Builds follow the Fall turn, which is when Supply Center captures are determined. Sorry for any brief confusion to anyone who might have read my mistake.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alright! Should I be Robo-Russia or something?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to !Sign Up as an alternate. I mostly lurk, but I took over in a game of diplomacy a while back and I'd like to get back into it.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Awesome. Thanks, Mad Jazz, if any of our world leaders aren't up to the task, their nation will turn its eyes to you. If anyone else wants to sign up as a reserve, just let me know.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RULES CLARIFICATION

There was a question about coastal movement, to clarify, I'll quote the official Hasbro rules here for everyone's benefit:
    Special Movement Clarifications
    There are a few tricky areas on the map. How to move into and out of them is explained below:

Bulgaria, Spain, and St. Petersburg: These are the only coastal provinces that have two separately identified coasts. A Fleet entering one of these provinces enters along one coast and can then move to a province adjacent to that coast only. The Fleet, nevertheless, is considered to be occupying the entire province. Such a Fleet should be placed on the coastline rather than completely inland. For example, a Fleet at Spain's North Coast cannot be ordered to move to the Western Mediterranean or to the Gulf of Lyon or to Marseilles. It is, however, considered to be occupying all of Spain.

If a Fleet is ordered to one of these provinces, and it is possible for the Fleet to move to either coast, the order must specify which coast, or the Fleet does not move. For example, a Fleet in Constantinople can move to Bulgaria's East or South Coast. The order would be written "F Con -> Bul EC" or "F Con -> Bul SC". Likewise, a Fleet in the Mid-Atlantic Ocean can move to Spain's North or South Coast, but the order must specify which coast.

Kiel and Constantinople: Because of the waterways that run through these two provinces, they are considered as having one coast. Fleets can enter them along one coast and be considered anywhere along the coastline. For example, a Fleet could move from the Black Sea to Constantinople on one turn ("F Bla -> Con") and then on a later turn move from Constantinople to the Aegean Sea (or other adjacent provinces). Likewise, a Fleet could move from Holland to Kiel on one turn and then move from Kiel to Berlin on a later turn (through the Kiel Canal) without having to go around or to Denmark. Armies can also pass into and out of these provinces, freely bridging these waterways. This does not mean that units can jump over these provinces.

Sweden and Denmark: An Army or Fleet can move from Sweden to Denmark (or vice versa) in one turn. A Fleet moving from the Baltic Sea cannot move directly to the Skaggerak province (or vice versa), but must first move to Sweden or Denmark. The common border with Denmark does not separate the coast of Sweden into two coastlines. Denmark does not border on Berlin.

If you have any questions at any time, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    REMINDER: Orders are due tomorrow (Wednesday Feb 13th) at 10:00 PM EST. You can send in orders before then.

I may not be able to check the forums tomorrow before the deadline so if there are any outstanding questions, please try and get them to me tonight.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Orders are Now Due -- unfortunately, I have not received them from all players yet.

Since this is the first season, I will allow a one-time only 30-minute grace period; if I receive orders from anyone before 10:30 EST, they will be accepted. If not, we will go ahead with what we've got.

My thanks to those who have already sent in their orders and are waiting for results, but I'd like to start off on the right foot if possible. Given the grace period, you are free to send in additional order sets should you desire to amend previous ones. Otherwise my apologies for the wait and I hope to have results to you shortly, one way or the other.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You should totally tell me if I'm bouncing with anyone so I can change it.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, sorry folks. Season's over. Will post results as soon as I finish uploading the maps.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I hope I get free territory.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Spring 1901 Turn Resolution

Military analysts have noted a recent series of movements by the armed and naval forces of the Great Powers of Europe that, they warn, could signal the beginning of a new period of conflict on the Continent. Although the exact implications of the moves are as yet unclear, columns of men have been observed traversing the European countryside; one such group, marching under the Austrian flag, has settled in the Serbian capital of Belgrade, while forces loyal to the Tsar of Russia were seen entering Bucharest late in the season. Several fleets of ships have been launched from ports in England, Russia, and Austria; the docking of a large flotilla of German warships in the Copenhagen harbor was also noted. The forces of France and Turkey, however, were noticeably quiet this season, perhaps hinting at internal political troubles.

Spring 1901 Moves

As ordered:
    Austria: A vie Holds
    Austria: F tri -> adr
    Austria: A bud -> ser
    England: F edi -> nth
    England: A lvp -> yor
    England: F lon -> eng
    Germany: A mun -> ruh
    Germany: F kie -> den
    Germany: A ber -> kie
    Italy: A ven Holds
    Italy: A rom -> nap
    Italy: F nap -> ion
    Russia: A war -> pru
    Russia: F stp/sc -> bot
    Russia: F sev -> rum
    Russia: A mos -> lvn

Movement Map:
    JPP01-S1901M.jpg

As you can see from the movement map, no retreats were necessary; therefore we continue on into the next season uninterrupted.

New Current Map: Fall 1901
    JPP01-F1901M.jpg

Orders for the new season (Fall 1901) will be due 10 PM EST Saturday (February 16th).

I will again post a reminder 24 hours in advance. You may send in orders beforehand. If necessary, a retreat phase will follow the end of the Fall season, after which supply center captures and new builds will take effect.

I highly recommend sending in a provisional set of orders early on, just in case you do not have time to conduct more extensive planning before the deadline.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well that outcome was most unexpected.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Infidel and Gumpy are stupid.

Gumpy, why were you all like "blah blah blah" in PMs to everyone then you don't even move at all.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I totally got home too late by a few minutes. :(

My day got screwed over. Sorry folks.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey, it happens sometimes. The year is still young, so I hope our absent monarchs will return to lead more forcefully in future seasons. For now, the map is charted; go to it.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I'll assume the position of elder statesman for this game, good times.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, Gumpy you douche!
    <3

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What the hell

But but

I sent them in |:

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did you perhaps send them to Prosthetic Conscience? :P

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I don't see any record of them in my inbox, sorry. Did you check your sent messages?

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Not in there, but they've been emptied very recently. Being in 4 Phallas at once fills my PM space rather quickly |:

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sorry, man. Time for a Robo-Assistant Secretary of War, maybe...

Oh, and this wasn't an issue last turn, but just for clarification's sake —

There is a typo on the map. "Stevastopol" should read "Sevastopol". The abbreviation is SEV, not STE.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    SEV?

STE?

STEVE?

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    REMINDER: Orders are due tomorrow (Saturday Feb 16th) at 10 PM EST.

As always, you can send them as early as you choose! It rarely hurts to do so, as you can always send in a new set of orders any time up until the deadline should you change your mind. Please remember that failing to send in orders for two consecutive turns will result in bloody revolution and your replacement by one of our reserve players.

Should any retreats be necessary following the end of this season, I will try and take care of that through PMs as soon as possible afterwards, and will update the map accordingly. Should I fail to receive retreat orders, the unit will retreat to a random adjacent province.

Once this phase is done it will be followed by a build phase that will end no later than 10 PM EST Sunday. If you are expecting a supply center gain but aren't sure whether you'll be able to check the thread regularly over the weekend, you can include a provisional build order with your regular turn orders. Remember that builds only happen once two turns: it pays not to miss this chance to increase the size of your forces.

If there are any questions, let me know.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Season's closed; results up in a bit.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fall 1901 Turn Resolution
    IT'S WAR!

Spain surrenders to the French! There can be only one classical civilization: Italians invade Greece! Germans overrun the Low Countries even as Berlin falls to Tsarist forces! The English holiday in Norway while Sweden switches to drinking Russian vodka! The Austrians and Turks square off in the Balkans! World Cup football match indefinitely postponed!

Fall 1901 Moves

As ordered:
    Austria: A vie -> tri
    Austria: A ser -> bul
    Austria: F adr -> tri
    England: A yor -> nwy
    England: F nth Convoys A yor -> nwy
    England: F eng -> bre
    France: A par -> bre
    France: A mar -> spa
    France: F bre -> mao
    Germany: A ruh -> bel
    Germany: A kie -> hol
    Germany: F den Holds
    Italy: A nap -> gre
    Italy: F ion Convoys A nap -> gre
    Russia: F rum Holds
    Russia: A pru -> ber
    Russia: A lvn Holds
    Russia: F bot -> swe
    Turkey: A smy Holds
    Turkey: A con -> bul
    Turkey: F ank -> con

Movement Map:
    JPP01-F1901Movement.jpg

Resolved:
    Austria:
    Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

Austria: F adr → tri
    - Bounced with vie (1 against 1).
    Austria: A ser → bul
    - Bounced with con (1 against 1).
    Austria: A vie → tri
    - Bounced with adr (1 against 1).

England:

England: F eng → bre
    - Bounced with par (1 against 1).
    England: F nth Convoys A yor → nwy
    England: A yor → nwy
    - Convoy path taken: yor→nth→nwy.

France:

France: F bre → mao
    France: A mar → spa
    France: A par → bre
    - Bounced with eng (1 against 1).

Germany:
    Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 2.

Germany: F den Holds
    Germany: A kie → hol
    Germany: A ruh → bel

Italy:

Italy: F ion Convoys A nap → gre
    Italy: A nap → gre
    - Convoy path taken: nap→ion→gre.

Russia:
    Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 3.

Russia: F bot → swe
    Russia: A lvn Holds
    Russia: A pru → ber
    Russia: F rum Holds

Turkey:
    Turkey: F ank → con
    - Failed because Turkey: A con → bul failed.
    Turkey: A con → bul
    - Bounced with ser (1 against 1).
    Turkey: A smy Holds

There were a few bounces, but no retreats were necessary; therefore we continue uninterrupted into the build phase.

New Current Map: Winter 1901

F1901B2.jpg
    Build orders are due 10 PM EST Sunday (February 17th).
    • Austria builds 1
    • England builds 1
    • France builds 1
    • Germany builds 2
    • Italy builds 1
    • Russia builds 3
    • Turkey has no new builds

Remember that you may only build in your starting home supply centers; if those centers are occupied either by one of your units or by an enemy's, you cannot build there. Remember to specify whether you're building a Fleet or an Army. You may "play short" if you desire, but new builds only occur following the Fall season.

Players with builds have until the deadline to send in their build orders, but if I receive all orders before the deadline I will go ahead and post the new map so you can get on with the next season's negotiations.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Looks like I'm screwed now.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    3 builds! Holy shit! No worries Infidel, we'll get you back on your feet.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Note: I prettified the previous map; province highlighting should be much clearer now. About ten hours left to submit builds, if you haven't done so yet.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll get my builds in ASAP.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Winter 1901 Builds

As ordered:
    • Austria: Builds A bud
    • England: Builds F lon
    • France: Builds F bre
    • Germany: Builds A mun
    • Germany: Builds F kie
    • Italy: Builds F nap
    • Russia: Builds A sev
    • Russia: Builds A war
    • Russia: Builds F stp/sc

New Current Map: Spring 1902

JPP01-Spring1902start.jpg

Orders for the new season (Spring 1902) will be due 10 PM EST Tuesday (February 19th).

PLEASE NOTICE: While the first year had no retreats, their likelihood in all subsequent years forces me to abbreviate the seasons from now on. Springs will end on TUESDAYS at 10 PM, not Wednesday as was the case this first week, in order to allow for a 24-hour spring retreat phase before the commencement of Fall seasons. Fall will end on FRIDAYS, with fall retreats ending on Saturday and winter builds ending on Sunday.

If all players' retreats and builds come in before their phase deadline, I will post the results immediately in order to allow the maximum amount of time for negotiation; I will still take new sets of orders, but you will only have until the slowest player has sent theirs in to reconsider. I will always give you till the end of the season deadline to rethink, renegotiate, or resubmit any Spring / Fall movement orders, though.

If you find this is just not enough time to conduct negotiations and issue orders, I am open to keeping each season three days in length, (which, with retreats and builds, would make for a nine-day year cycle) but I usually find that having seasons fall on consistent days of the weeks helps keep people on schedule.

Let me know your thoughts, and welcome to 1902.

JustPlainPavek on