Options

[Diplomacy] JPP01 - Game Called: Italy Wins!

123457»

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would have wanted Norway anyway because Infidel and VH were GIANT DONGS.

The new turkey guy wasn't so bad. But VH.... hates.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Retreat results will be delayed until tomorrow morning (EST) on account of the fact that I woke up at six this morning, my sinuses are currently leaking out of my brain, and I can't stay up another half hour to find out if Gumpy is going to send me a retreat order or I have to randomize the destination myself. Will have them up for you early tomorrow, promises, and then it's build time. Good night.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Would it help that he only has one place to retreat to?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait I have an option of places I can retreat to other then Picardy?

I choose to retreat

Behind enemy lines

To Burgandy!

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fall 1908 Retreats

• The Italian fleet in Mid-Atlantic retreated to North Atlantic.
    • No retreat order for the army in Paris. Randomly assigned destination - Picardy.
    • The German fleet in Norway retreated to Barents Sea.
    • The Turkish army in Sevastapol disbanded.

New Current Map: Winter 1908 (Build Phase)

JPP01-F1908B.jpg
    Build orders are due no later than 10 PM EST today (Apr 20).
    • England: 1 supply center, 1 unit. No units to build or remove.
    • France: 3 supply centers, 4 units. 1 unit must be removed.
    • Germany: 6 supply centers, 7 units. 1 unit must be removed.
    • Italy: 14 supply centers, 12 units. 2 units may be built.
    • Russia: 6 supply centers, 4 units. 2 units may be built.
    • Turkey: 4 supply centers, 4 units. No units to build or remove.

Sorry for last night, my brain was really not up for anything. Goddamn allergies. The next season will start as soon as I hear from everyone with a build / remove order, so you have until the slowest person to respond, or 10 PM today, whichever comes first.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Winter 1908 Builds

I did not receive build / remove orders from Germany this season. As removal orders are required for play to continue, I randomly selected from units furthest from a home supply center. Fortunately the new Russian coast guard will be there for any Barents Sea survivors.

As ordered:
      • France: Removes A pic • Germany: Removes F bar • Italy: Builds A rom • Italy: Builds F nap • Russia: Builds A war • Russia: Builds F stp/nc

New Current Map: Spring 1909

JPP01-S1909Start.jpg

Orders for the new season (Spring 1909) will be due 10 PM EST Tuesday (Apr 22).

Sending provisional orders in, in case you're unable to make deadline, is always recommended!

And I totally missed Gumpy's post in before mine this morning, but disbanding a dislodged unit is always technically an option as well, so I prefer to confirm the order even when there's only one available retreat destination.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Finally, Russia is back to the strength before I fucked up.

Almost.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think Russia realises how fucked over he is going to be when all that is left is himself and Italy.

Great job there, uniting alongside Italy.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Russian betrayal is going to spell our defeat, but Its what I expected with Kayne taking command after Law

We will die in honourable battle

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    All of a sudden Russia is the betrayer?

Where was the public outcry when Austria/Italy/Turkey tried to mess? The expansion of the Warsaw Pact is inevitable, submit and survive.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Russia has three units up top

Don't tell me they're there just to help secure norway

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They are securing freedom.

The freedom to be controlled by Russia.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, considering I couldn't even reach Italy to help fight him, my choices were basically either sit in the back and support Germany/Turkey as they beat on Italy, taking all the spoils, or try and build Russia up to a respectable level before Italy wins. I chose the latter, since I didn't really have confidence in you guys being able to beat visiblehowl before he rolled over France anyways.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, considering I couldn't even reach Italy to help fight him, my choices were basically either sit in the back and support Germany/Turkey as they beat on Italy, taking all the spoils, or try and build Russia up to a respectable level before Italy wins. I chose the latter, since I didn't really have confidence in you guys being able to beat visiblehowl before he rolled over France anyways.

I like the way you think.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Good to hear. Also, Turkey holding Sevastopol was just plain unacceptable.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Good to hear. Also, Turkey holding Sevastopol was just plain unacceptable.

This is true. Might I suggest spreading further? Forming some kind of deal with Italy agreeing to a 17-17 split or whatever... then an epic fight?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In other news, this is the reminder that your orders are due tomorrow by 10 PM!

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, ah, I didn't receive orders from some players this evening, and Stew_Stick, who did send orders, says he's going to have to resign control of Germany after this.

I've got a lot going on work-wise this week and I don't have time to chase down replacements for him or other players who are lagging on their orders. All of you have put in strong efforts, even new rulers like Kayne Red Robe and Mad_Jazz, but I think realistically we've reached a point of diminishing returns in this game.

I would've liked to give more advance warning of this, or at least extended it out to the end of the year, but Visiblehowl has such a commanding lead that I'm pretty sure there's no way he won't be holding the most supply centers by the end of the week.

So...
    Congratulations, Generalissimo Visiblehowl of Italy!

You are the winner and you played a masterful game.

I'd still like to hear all the players thoughts on the game; your experiences with other people (and it is a game, so I hope we can all shake hands and be good sportsmen about it now that the intrigue has come to a close); problems or things you enjoyed or things I could improve for a future session. For viewers like me who weren't privy to your PMs: who did you negotiate with? How much did you talk with your allies or enemies? What went wrong for you, what went right? Constructive criticism for my GM'ing is welcome and encouraged. Nobody used the "mouthpieces" option — can you think of any game mechanics that could be interesting? What would you do differently next time?

In short, any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone who played!

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Woo!

My sequence of events:

I started the game with a non-aggression pact with France and Germany. I read up on Italian strategy, and discovered that I basically had two choices: Lepanto (ally with Austria) or ally with Russia. I figured my long-term strategy would be an alliance with Russia, since we're not really in a good position to mess with each other and we could pretty easily split up the board until the endgame. Thus, I decided to pretend to go with the Lepanto strategy, and then once I had a couple SCs, backstab Austria with the help of Russia. This worked out pretty well, as Papillon mentioned that he was planning on backstabbing me later, he was just hoping I'd stay with him for another year or so. Once I was pretty well into finishing off Austria, I turned my attention towards Turkey. Russia proved reluctant to help me with Turkey, though, and Infidel and I had just finished working together towards a major victory in our phalla game (Gods of Phalla), so I opted to ally with Turkey, and advised him to backstab Russia. He did this gladly, giving me the chance to focus all of my attention on France. Things were going pretty well there until Infidel disappeared, jeopardizing my alliance with Turkey, and forcing me to move my troops back east to defend myself. This made it much more difficult to deal with France, and a misunderstanding of the rules on my part gave Germany an opening into Tyrolia and Bohemia (apparently you can't support a unit that is attacking somewhere else unless you're actually supporting the attack). Fortunately, Turkey was inactive for awhile, which gave me the opportunity to get my defenses back in place. My plans for the future were to send another fleet over to Turkey's home SCs and snag those, while hopefully grabbing another couple from France or Germany. I only needed 4 more SCs to win, and I was expecting to get those within the next couple of years.

All in all, a good game. God, I'd never want to be Italy again, though. The strategy I used here really only works once. I should probably also take a break from Diplomacy games for awhile, so people forget all the backstabbing I did in this game. :P

Thanks a bunch for running this game, JustPlainPavek. So far, I'm 2 - 0 in Diplomacy games here in CF!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I negotiated with everyone other than Stew at first. I was a good guy, and I was taken advantage of. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BE NICE TO TURKS! Also Italians.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The_Lawinator, one suggestion I would make to you for next time: I haven't dug through the turn history so I don't remember exactly what point this happened, but I think one mistake in retrospect for Russia was building so many fleets in the north when you were making your early supply center gains. Unless you were seriously gunning for England, which didn't seem to be the case; at least one of those two extra builds probably would've been better as an Army, since it ended up being the continental forces that really bit into Russia's flanks after the first big surge. It took a long while to get land forces up and going after that.

Also, before I forget, Honorable Mention in this game definitely goes to Varcayn, for steadily sending in orders for his fleet of English corsairs. I appreciate your dedication to seeing the game through no matter the odds, sir.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Next time I'm wondering if people wouldn't be more inclined to take advantage of false flag communications options provided by something like the mouthpieces if I set up seven alt accounts, one for each country, and no-one knew who any of the other players were outside of their roles. Would this cut down on the metagaming aspects of things, or is this too complicated, or not even a concern for people?

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well there goes my comeback.

How I played:
    I've had horrendous luck trying to take out France when playing as England, so I decided to gun for Germany at the start of the game. I extended an offer of allegiance to France, and accepted one from Russia. France never replied until Russia told me that France and Germany were going to double team me, and my admittedly weak attempts to stop it didn't do much. Although I do remember a PM I was rather proud in which I claimed that the Eiffel tower would be converted to railroad tracks in order to hasten my march to Marseilles.
    From that point on I basically lost a war of attrition, and Germany rejected my last ditch effort of allegiance and a backstab of France, which I maintain would've slowed Italian growth and helped us both. Then I moved around the North Sea for a while until Russia helped me get back Edinburgh.
    Congratulations visiblehowl on a solid game, I look forward to a rematch with you all and hope we can get one going soon. Diplomacy is by far my favorite game, and I'm always up for a match.

Also, tremendous thanks to our host, JPP, for putting up with several changes of leadership, week long delays, and a lack of orders during certain years.
    Next time I'm wondering if people wouldn't be more inclined to take advantage of false flag communications options provided by something like the mouthpieces if I set up seven alt accounts, one for each country, and no-one knew who any of the other players were outside of their roles. Would this cut down on the metagaming aspects of things, or is this too complicated, or not even a concern for people?

I don't think it is a significant concern, but the idea intrigues me for some reason, and I think it might be interesting to give it a shot.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a list of mistakes I noticed other people made (including a couple I made myself), but I think posting that would just make me more hated than I am.

Most of the mistakes involve not being willing to backstab people anyway, which seems like a difference in philosophy.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    During the set up for the first turn I found out Varcayn had attempted to convince Germany that I was a dirty traitor and he called my Robots whores

So my hands were tied

I had to go after England

I am an honorable man who fights with truth and justice

it hurt to be back-stabbed be Italy

Oh it hurt

Gumpy on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Obvious mistake from me: Spring 1902 I meant to move my army in Budapest into Serbia, which would have kept visiblehowl from moving into Serbia since he didn't have the armies to take it by force.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the mis- (and missed) orders and drops definitely had an effect on the game's progress, but in my experience you can usually count on this to happen, even if you can never count on how it will happen.

If there is interest in another game some time, I would potentially be willing to host, but I will need a break before considering it — and if I had to guess, summer (with vacations and what-all) is probably not a good time for people to commit to something potentially this drawn-out. But if someone wants to prove me wrong (or host a game themselves so I can play this time), let us know.

Any other thoughts on gameplay?

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I would have won if I hadn't missed that order.

I'd be interested in playing again, this time with myself being more reliable and awesome than ever before.

I'd be kind of tempted to make up my own rules and do some kind of phalla/diplomacy mashup... oh my god new forum game who wants to organize this shit with me.

*Looks at Gumpy*

There can be robots.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I am tempted to host a game, anyone interested?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I would have won if I hadn't missed that order.

I'd be interested in playing again, this time with myself being more reliable and awesome than ever before.

I'd be kind of tempted to make up my own rules and do some kind of phalla/diplomacy mashup... oh my god new forum game who wants to organize this shit with me.

*Looks at Gumpy*

There can be robots.

My next mini is going to be a World Miniphalla

however if you wish for me to aid you I am all for it

I love designing games of the war type

Gumpy on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !Sign up for backstabbing

Papillon on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !Sign up

because I want to play too :)

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kayne - I would be interested in a game, but I think I need at least a week or two off.. so if you do sign-ups, in, say, early May, then yes, I'll probably be game.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    LeshanLeshan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

!Sign up

Leshan on
    Character Sheet for Silver Squadron game: Kalen
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also I believe Bliss 101 was interested in future games, although I'm guessing he wouldn't be available until after his phalla finishes.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also I believe Bliss 101 was interested in future games, although I'm guessing he wouldn't be available until after his phalla finishes.

Bliss is also running another main phalla 3 phallas from now.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bump to let people who were subscribed to this thread know that Kayne Red Robe has started his own game, here!

JustPlainPavek on