As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

¿Parlez du рүсский?

• Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Seta 3000 wrote: »
    look, hombre, all i know is hoy es sabado y manana es domingo, okay

¿Qué hora es?

Ahahaha oh my god this is hilarious

Seta 3000 on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Sam how often do you hear English when you're not online? I can't imagine it'd be often.

If I'm not with American friends, and I wish I were kidding, but the English I have heard the past two days was "<Oh, you're American?> Hallo, I am fine prease to meet you!" and "<Oh, you're American?>Hi!!"

I don't think I could ever marry someone who couldn't watch a Wes Anderson flick with me and enjoy/understand it.

I'm pretty sure I would've shot myself by now if I was over there.

Meissnerd on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

¿Qué hora es?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw

bowtiedseal on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sam how often do you hear English when you're not online? I can't imagine it'd be often.

If I'm not with American friends, and I wish I were kidding, but the English I have heard the past two days was "<Oh, you're American?> Hallo, I am fine prease to meet you!" and "<Oh, you're American?>Hi!!"

I don't think I could ever marry someone who couldn't watch a Wes Anderson flick with me and enjoy/understand it.

Man when I was over there, some old dude on a bike rode up to us and started talking about baseball. It was kind of weird.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    Viv what the hell

All I could make out was that the dude was saying things about the holocaust.. uhh.. yay katakana?
    Actually guys you know what? Fuck this board's fonts for hanzi/kanjis.

mac or pc?

PC. I mean I guess I could find some way to make them larger and/or change them. I mean, I can read (Some of) them, they are just so damn cramped and small.

edit: okay nevermind, the Japanese was about hitlercaust. Apparently the Chinese was some sort of seminal lecture or something. uhh.. thanks babelfish.

Man you haven't had to read them off a cell phone yet have you

Get ready for some real fun, let me tell you.

yeah but my host brother's cell phone screen was gigantic.

Not sure how much I will be texting on the air base if I ever get stationed over there though.

Please don't be one of the nanpa'ing faggots that I have to sit nearby when I go out to bars with friends. There are so many army dudes in the bars in Tokyo. I hate a lot of things about this country, and one of them is the fucking asshole foreigners who make such a goddamned scene wherever they go because they wanna get laid.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

¿Qué hora es?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fire Truck on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I speak English, but badly enough that my English teachers just sort of looked at me the way you'd stare down a puppy that peed on the sofa. Can speak a few words of Spanish, and would love to learn more of it, but I can't roll my 'r's and could never remember which words are masculine or feminine.

Before I went to southern China a few months ago I learned a few basic phrases. The way people looked at me when they were thanked with shei shei/do jei (that spelling will be so mangled), you'd think most tourists just yelled at them to speak American. Also amazing how fast you can pick up some of the basic hanzi - sure, the giant-square-of-squiggles ones were too hard, but basic shapes like the ones for entrance, exit, AM, PM, day month year etc. were easy enough.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Man when I was over there, some old dude on a bike rode up to us and started talking about baseball. It was kind of weird.

When I was over there Godzilla was wrecking shit everywhere, then King Ghidora showed up. Holy shit everything exploded let me tell you.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

¿Qué hora es?

both of these are amazing

Javen on
    edited February 2008

Shit you not, two weeks into my ungodly long amount of time in this country, I'm on the train out in Chiba and spot a Japanese guy decked out head to toe in Minnesota Twins paraphernalia, my hometown team. Really weird.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Viv what the hell

All I could make out was that the dude was saying things about the holocaust.. uhh.. yay katakana?
    Actually guys you know what? Fuck this board's fonts for hanzi/kanjis.

mac or pc?

PC. I mean I guess I could find some way to make them larger and/or change them. I mean, I can read (Some of) them, they are just so damn cramped and small.

edit: okay nevermind, the Japanese was about hitlercaust. Apparently the Chinese was some sort of seminal lecture or something. uhh.. thanks babelfish.

Man you haven't had to read them off a cell phone yet have you

Get ready for some real fun, let me tell you.

yeah but my host brother's cell phone screen was gigantic.

Not sure how much I will be texting on the air base if I ever get stationed over there though.

Please don't be one of the nanpa'ing faggots that I have to sit nearby when I go out to bars with friends. There are so many army dudes in the bars in Tokyo. I hate a lot of things about this country, and one of them is the fucking asshole foreigners who make such a goddamned scene wherever they go because they wanna get laid.

First off. Air Force > Army.

And man I was only in Miyoshi for like 2 weeks, visited maybe Nagoya, Toyota and Kyoto. Not much else besides that. I am going to study abroad in either Tokyo or Nagoya for like a semester. Really doubt I am going to be like that.

Edit: I mean I assume once I graduate they will base me somewhere near Japan, what with my major being Japanese language and culture, with Russian and Chinese languages on the side.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    I speak English, but badly enough that my English teachers just sort of looked at me the way you'd stare down a puppy that peed on the sofa. Can speak a few words of Spanish, and would love to learn more of it, but I can't roll my 'r's and could never remember which words are masculine or feminine.

Before I went to southern China a few months ago I learned a few basic phrases. The way people looked at me when they were thanked with shei shei/do jei (that spelling will be so mangled), you'd think most tourists just yelled at them to speak American. Also amazing how fast you can pick up some of the basic hanzi - sure, the giant-square-of-squiggles ones were too hard, but basic shapes like the ones for entrance, exit, AM, PM, day month year etc. were easy enough.

it sounds like you had a mother of a time since you were speaking both Mandarin and Cantonese

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »

¿Qué hora es?

i just bookmarked them to show my spanish teacher later

Seta 3000 on
    edited February 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »

it sounds like you had a mother of a time since you were speaking both Mandarin and Cantonese

Went to Hong Kong, then a train to the mainland up to Foshan (again, spelling mangled).

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of the reasons I love King of the Hill is when Peggy speaks spanish. She doesn't speak it properly at all, but it goes right over the Texans heads anyhow.

"Mee lammo Peggy Hill"

Meissnerd on
    edited February 2008
    You'd be surprised how fast "Your Japanese is really good!!" gets annoying.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited February 2008

When I was over there Godzilla was wrecking shit everywhere, then King Ghidora showed up. Holy shit everything exploded let me tell you.
    DonFrye.jpg

Fire Truck on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Went to Hong Kong, then a train to the mainland up to Foshan (again, spelling mangled).

yeah trying to switch rapidly between Cantonese and Mandarin is a terrible idea

hopefully you didn't end up 18 kinds of confused

the Cantonese (and Hong Kongers in particular) are infamous for their butchered Mandarin accents

Vivixenne on
    edited February 2008

the Cantonese (and Hong Kongers in particular) are infamous for their butchered Mandarin accents

Pretty much tones are the bane of my existence. Second only to characters. There are so goddamned many of them.

I am pretty fucked when I start taking Russian and have to throw cases and random shit like that in there. I like how simple the grammatical structures in East Asian languages tend to be. Japanese and Korean grammar are the sex. Mandarin is alright, it is mostly the vocab and tones that gets me.

Artreus on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »

¿Qué hora es?

i just bookmarked them to show my spanish teacher later

antonio banderas

all one needs to know, really

bowtiedseal on
    edited February 2008
    goodnight honkies

Javen on
    edited February 2008
    the problem is that of all the dialects, Cantonese and Mandarin sound the closest

so it actually worsens the pronunciation of one if you are fluent in the other

it's not like Hokkien or Shanghainese where the aural difference is very obvious so when you switch dialects it's more like switching into another language

Vivixenne on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    what's the difference between cantonese and mandarin

it's all jap to me

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2008

Well, it's not like I was trying to learn the whole language. Just enough to not be a total asshole tourist. Wrote a little cheatsheet with the basic words and pronunciations. Didn't even bother trying to get the whole tone thing correct, so hopefully didn't hand out any mortal insults over breakfast.

Also, god damn, there's a lot of people in China. It's one thing to see it on paper, but Foshan was described as a "little town" and it's got a larger population than Los Angeles. It was funny how many of the shops had French names.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's amazing how quickly you can pick up basic, everyday things like that so long as your willing to immerse yourself and you have a decent head.

I spent about a week and a half in Romania with and English-speaking group, and I managed to figure out how to find a bathroom, order a meal, and exchange pleasentries. Some people in my group were the "English louder and slower" types. I pointed at the appropriate bits in my phrasebook. I had a much easier time.

laughingfuzzball on
    edited February 2008
    There are tones in Japanese too, and as good as my pronunciation is getting, I don't think I'll ever have it down.

切る着る

Then there's the two chickens in the garden pun.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    Fallout wrote: »

it's all jap to me

Cantonese is spoken in Hong Kong (and Taiwan, I think?). Mandarin is the standard language of mainland China. They use the same alphabet, but (to my ears) separate sets of words - the way Italian and French are similar, but fluency in one does not translate to the other.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

DonFrye.jpg
    DonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpgDonFrye.jpg

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited February 2008
    There are tones in Japanese too, and as good as my pronunciation is getting, I don't think I'll ever have it down.

切る着る

Then there's the two chickens in the garden pun.

O_o I don't think the tones are quite as important in Japanese as they are in Chinese though. I mean yeah I have noticed that there are tonal things but I don't think I will really run into them for another year or two. (See, I have been taking it forever, but my high school Japanese education really sucked, so most of it barely counts.)

Artreus on
    edited February 2008

it's all jap to me

Cantonese is spoken in Hong Kong (and Taiwan, I think?). Mandarin is the standard language of mainland China. They use the same alphabet, but (to my ears) separate sets of words - the way Italian and French are similar, but fluency in one does not translate to the other.

can a dude talking in mandarin talk to a dude talking in cantonese

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The nice thing about tones is, while it makes you stick out, and probably sound a little stupid, people will still know what your saying.

laughingfuzzball on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I learned Japanese for a few years, but I've given up on it now. I want to learn Swedish and especially Finnish, and I can understand a tiny bit of German (my brother's ex is German and I played far too much battlefield 1942).

L|ama on
    edited February 2008

it's all jap to me

No.

Cantonese is spoken in Guangdong province (formally known as Canton). Hong Kong used to be a part of that province before it was grabbed by the Brits, so they speak Cantonese there.

Taiwan speaks Mandarin.

Mandarin is the national language of China, but each individual region still has its own dialects. All the written characters are the same, it's just pronunciation and slang that is different, though it is usually possible to guess what people are saying in one dialect even if you speak only Mandarin.

Vivixenne on
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

It's amazing how quickly you can pick up basic, everyday things like that so long as your willing to immerse yourself and you have a decent head.

I spent about a week and a half in Romania with and English-speaking group, and I managed to figure out how to find a bathroom, order a meal, and exchange pleasentries. Some people in my group were the "English louder and slower" types. I pointed at the appropriate bits in my phrasebook. I had a much easier time.

FUCK WHY CANT YOU UNDERSTAND ME IM PRACTIALLY YELLING

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
    edited February 2008

it's all jap to me

I am pretty sure they speak Mandarin in Taiwan. They do use traditional characters in Taiwan and Simplified in the mainland for the most part as far as I know. And I don't think a dude speaking mandarin could speak to a dude speaking cantonese.

beated lots.

Artreus on
    edited February 2008
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Why do so many of you try to pick up Japanese?

Killjoy on
    edited February 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »
    Why do so many of you try to pick up Japanese?

I took a little bit of a crash course to prepare for my trip a few years back, but it was promptly abandoned upon my return

Javen on
    edited February 2008

it's all jap to me

I am pretty sure they speak Mandarin in Taiwan. They do use traditional characters in Taiwan and Simplified in the mainland for the most part as far as I know. And I don't think a dude speaking mandarin could speak to a dude speaking cantonese.

beated lots.

oh ok

explain this to me again when i'm sober plz

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png