As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

¿Parlez du рүсский?

• Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I am so jealous of everyone in this thread

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    i fucking love chinese food

i'm sure americanized chinese food is better than the real thing

Never seen tentacles in American-style Chinese food, so that's one strike against the real thing.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Piece d'argent comme des étoiles Means pieces of silver like the stars.

Not sure about the other one.

Thanks, that makes more sense.
    Artreus wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    It is also supposed to be easier to learn than Chinese but from what I can tell Korean is about ten times easier than Japanese since Korean is a purely phonetic language.

I took Korean for a bit. Hangul is a little tricky to learn. But yes, it is far fucking easier to learn than kanji. Honestly though, aside from the kanji, Korean and Japanese are basically the same damn language. I mean they both use particles the same way and everything.

I kind of wish I had stuck with Korean.

Every time I see Korean, it looks so clean and simple. But there are no classes to learn Korean around here.

See, the bitch part about learning hangul is that you have to arrange all of the little parts into blocks. Now reading them, that is easy. It is just that I only took it for a semester so I never got to the point where I could figure out which consonant or vowel went where in the block.

But yeah, it is a pretty neat language otherwise. And that sucks about the no classes to learn it.

I am going to Indiana University right now (along with firetruck) so I could learn most languages I would be interested in. They teach about 40 different languages here. Unfortunately, none of them are Southeast Asian, but like someone said before, fuck those.

Also my plate is quite full as it is.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to learn Thai but my Language Acquisition teacher said it was impossible to learn a language after puberty.

There's some shit going around about there being a critical period for learning foreign languages. Of course, it's not true. It may be more difficult, but it's not impossible.

i thought your brain lost the language parts it didn't need for your primary language sometime after you're a baby?

makes sense

They say that your primary, native speaking language is locked in sometime around the age of twelve. Basically meaning that you'll never be even in the ballpark of a native speaker. But it's definitely not impossible to learn a foreign language later in life.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »

when's the last time another asian country's put out anything worth importing

How about China and every goddamn thing you own

that's because chinamen are cheaper than americans

10 for the price of one

(the american is heavier than 10 chinese!!)

maybe if their crappy country could afford to feed their midget asses with more than a grain of rice per meal!!!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    Korean characters look sorta complicated to me, but then I barely even bothered trying to learn Kanji, and I still forget hiragana that I don't use all the time fairly regularly. Fuck the kanji for 'to study' right in the ass, though.

benkyou is stupidly easy compared to a lot of other ones that come up more frequently.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to learn Thai but my Language Acquisition teacher said it was impossible to learn a language after puberty.

There's some shit going around about there being a critical period for learning foreign languages. Of course, it's not true. It may be more difficult, but it's not impossible.

i thought your brain lost the language parts it didn't need for your primary language sometime after you're a baby?

makes sense

They say that your primary, native speaking language is locked in sometime around the age of twelve. Basically meaning that you'll never be even in the ballpark of a native speaker. But it's definitely not impossible to learn a foreign language later in life.

i don't think i could ever learn another language with the proficiency i have in english

picking up slang and stuff takes a lifetime

IN OTHER NEWS: GOODNIGHT URRBODY

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Languages I need to learn: Sanskrit, Russian, Spanish, German

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Korean characters look sorta complicated to me, but then I barely even bothered trying to learn Kanji, and I still forget hiragana that I don't use all the time fairly regularly. Fuck the kanji for 'to study' right in the ass, though.

There's only 24 characters in Korean. They get stacked on top of each other, but it's not much effort to pick them apart and sound the word out.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

makes sense

i don't think i could ever learn another language with the proficiency i have in english

picking up slang and stuff takes a lifetime

IN OTHER NEWS: GOODNIGHT URRBODY

Sleep with one eye open, raptors like to attack at night.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    Eastern GlowEastern Glow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is anyone thinking about teaching English abroad?

That's a great way to learn languages / travel the world / get your nose bit off by a Saigon whore.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

benkyou is stupidly easy compared to a lot of other ones that come up more frequently.

勉強 !!!!!

seriously though. I can read and understand way more characters than I can pronounce. Radicals ftw.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bibble wrote: »

Jealous of someone's ability to stumble through a language not their own then spend all of their time talking about the latest video game to a bunch of other nerds on the internet?

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    OrestesOrestes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Korean is pretty simple.

Then again I've been speaking it all my life.

Also, the Korean alphabet was based off of how the mouth looks while pronouncing the letter or syllable, so that might help when you're pronouncing or trying to write words.

And I've heard that Cantonese is pretty similar to Korean, can anyone verify this?

Orestes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That's a great way to learn languages / travel the world / get your nose bit off by a Saigon whore.

If you do this, make sure to blog about it so we can sing your praises, like Azrael.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also I'm completely illiterate in two of the languages I speak.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well benkyou was about the most complicated one that I was supposed to learn.

L|ama on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The dude responsible for teaching you to learn languages told you not to bother learning languages?

Also, where are you going? I'm looking at Applied Linguistics schools.

It's an ESL elective; so I would be the one teaching languages, I guess.

I'm a Linguistics major at the bastion of knowledge that is UNR.

Oh, OK. Most of the "Language Acquisition" courses I've seen are geared toward teaching the student to acquire languages. I've also only ever heard of it offered as part of an Applied Linguistics program. There are only, like, three of those that I've managed to find, so another's always helpful.

Linguistics has to be, like, the best academic field, ever, mirite?

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I really wanted to do the JET program and teach English in Japan right out of college before the Air Force thing came up. So now I think I am going to spend a while working for the state department translating things.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »

How the hell does that work?

Edit:
    Fuck, I need to go to bed. I actually have shit to do today. 'night all.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Languages I need to learn: Badass

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Why are you still trying to convince us of your superiority? We already all think you should be running this joint, I mean christ, you know languages after all.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

The dude responsible for teaching you to learn languages told you not to bother learning languages?

Oh, OK. Most of the "Language Acquisition" courses I've seen are geared toward teaching the student to acquire languages. I've also only ever heard of it offered as part of an Applied Linguistics program. There are only, like, three of those that I've managed to find, so another's always helpful.

God.

I'm taking this linguistic anthropology course right now, and for some reason the professor REFUSES to use IPA. He just plugs along in this fucked up alphabet he uses and which is near impossible to type.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

How the hell does that work?

It's harder to learn to read than learn to speak.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bibble wrote: »

Jealous of someone's ability to stumble through a language not their own then spend all of their time talking about the latest video game to a bunch of other nerds on the internet?

Not of japanese in particular, just knowing foreign languages. Especially those who know like 5. Holy shit.

I only know 1

:x

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I like it, yes.

Phonemes all up in herr'.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Why are you still trying to convince us of your superiority? We already all think you should be running this joint, I mean christ, you know languages after all.

Sorry.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I want to get into Bible Translation and Church Planting (yes, I'm a fundy), but I'll likely branch into TESOL. A lot of countries that are hard to get into look at you a little less closely if your going there to teach English, plus it's a good way to get to know people once your there. It's pretty much the only way to get into China, North Korea, Turkmenistan, and a handful of other countries for that sort of thing.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    All I know is I didn't bust my ass learning this language just to become an English teacher over here. I want to find something I really enjoy about this place.

I'm just sayin', I coulda taught English here with an easy-as-pie Psych or Journalism major.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I want to get into Bible Translation and Church Planting (yes, I'm a fundy), but I'll likely branch into TESOL. A lot of countries that are hard to get into look at you a little less closely if your going there to teach English, plus it's a good way to get to know people once your there. It's pretty much the only way to get into China, North Korea, Turkmenistan, and a handful of other countries for that sort of thing.

Dear lord why would you want to go to North Korea. I mean would they even let you in? D:

Also Turkmen was one of the languages I could have picked for that summer program but seriously, Russian is far more widely spoken.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All I know is I didn't bust my ass learning this language just to become an English teacher over here. I want to find something I really enjoy about this place.

I'm just sayin', I coulda taught English here with an easy-as-pie Psych or Journalism major.

Good night

Buenas noches

Bonne nuit

Saikhan amraarai

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

God.

I'm taking this linguistic anthropology course right now, and for some reason the professor REFUSES to use IPA. He just plugs along in this fucked up alphabet he uses and which is near impossible to type.

I decided one night that I was going to learn to pronounce the entire IPA on my own. I got through the first couple rows before I completely broke my throat. Uvular plosives and glottal fricatives for the lose.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Good night

Buenas noches

Bonne nuit

Saikhan amraarai

Get off my plane.

OmegaTofuNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Good night

Buenas noches

Bonne nuit

Saikhan amraarai

Guten Nacht

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Good, leave more jobs for us untalented folks.

Eastern Glow on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mein katzen ist das panzer, Kommander Zwitterkoph.

Ist der kline schiessehund!

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »

something something something Berlinner

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Janin wrote: »

Good night

Buenas noches

Bonne nuit

Saikhan amraarai

Guten Nacht
    God natt

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »

something something
    it's the little shit dog? WUT?

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Artreus wrote: »

Dear lord why would you want to go to North Korea. I mean would they even let you in? D:

Also Turkmen was one of the languages I could have picked for that summer program but seriously, Russian is far more widely spoken.

North Korea doesn't, as a rule, let people in except for government-run tours of government-approved areas. They're starting to loosen up a little bit in response to international pressure and the whole 'not dealing with the outside world' working out. They're just starting to let English teachers in as special cases. By the time I finish my degree, there's a chance getting in will be just doable.

I was going to try to learn a few phrases of Turkmen for an upcoming trip, but they cancelled that part because the guy in charge of it couldn't get straight answers on things like where we'd be staying and whatnot. Also, i was going to add almost a grand to the trip cost for, like three days. The guy in charge is still going, he just didn't want to drag along a half dozen strangers when he didn't know what was going on. We were going to do the whole tourist thing, but they were going to have to have us escorted to make sure we didn't talk to anybody.

laughingfuzzball on