As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My first drawingses

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Artist's Corner
'Hoy. I've posted on here a few times before but this is my first time submitting art. It is also one of the first times I have tried making art. (Hence, the crappiness).

2260006230_fff7ca8ff6.jpg

These are for an online book project I am working on. They will be smaller in the finished project, about the size of a PA forum avatar. I'm planning on doing a lot of them, so I would much appreciate any criticism, suggestions, etc, to make sure I'm on track to something decent at least. Here are a few more sketches:

2259209353_cf7a859431.jpg

2259209457_b607c4b359.jpg

Thank you kindly, Penny Arcade Artist's Forum!

(Note: I kind of copied Hatvan's hat from Jubei from Ninja Scroll)

Qingu on

• in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I'm not seeing anything. It's either my browser (firefox) or you've forgotten/messed up the [img]thing edit: I see them now, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow for my crits. It's gotten too late for me.[/img]

in_absentia on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I'm not seeing anything. It's either my browser (firefox) or you've forgotten/messed up the thing
    Should be fixed! Apologies.

Qingu on
  • in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yep, they're fixed now.

Like I said before, I'm off to bed now but I'll leave you with a couple general suggestions.

Try to work on the eyes. I realize that you've gone for a cartoony look, but at the same time football shaped eyes have never looked all that good.

It also seems like you're unsure of where the characters foreheads begin and end. A typical head is divided into consistent segments and this link should help you get a more even look http://www.drawspace.com/lessons/lesson.php?id=h01. What you'll try to do is apply that link to the designs you have in your mind and hopefully, you'll end up with characters that all seem to be from the same race.

in_absentia on
    edited February 2008
    I have to say that I am attached to the football-shaped eyes. I'm trying to imitate Persepolis/Wind Waker/Persian art. Though I realize my eyes are not very good. Do you think it's possible to do football eyes well?

Qingu on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you know what you're actually doing, they are.

Keep practicing the basics, you're not really skilled enough to be thinking about styles just quite yet

I recommend the loomis books, which are in the questions/tutorials topic on here

if you're already drawing from those, then keep it up!

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited February 2008
    I can't open the Loomis books on my Mac!

NOOOO

Qingu on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    I can't open the Loomis books on my Mac!

NOOOO

http://www.unrarx.com/

Grifter on