As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's sub-par mystery, but I like the art and the fact that it's set in the past.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there anything written by Morrison that is between Batman: Year One and the Dark Knight Returns? At the end of Year One he mentions the Joker, just wondering if there was something I was missing.

Hasn't Miller made some comment about All-Star Batman and Robin being part of the DKR universe?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes. I think he also said it goes Year One -> All Star -> DKR at some point.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been into superhero stuff for quite a bit of my life, but never really got into comic books except for an single issue here or there. Instead, I ate up the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Batman animated shows that came on in the 90's. I also played almost every game involving superheroes that came out on the Genesis, and have kept up with the Spider-Man games almost religiously.

However, I've now started diving into comic collections (I don't know the lingo at all so forgive me on that front) and I'm loving it. I don't really want to deal with single issues at this point so I've yet to subscribe to anything, plus there's enough backstory on the characters I already know and love that I figure I'll be busy for awhile just collecting that.

Nonetheless, I've already acquired:
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 & 2
    The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1
    Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4
    The Uncanny X-Men (Masterworks) Vol. 1 & 2
    Marvels

DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (mostly as a primer to be introduced to more DC characters while getting The Killing Joke)
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: The Man Who Laughs
    The Joker

Any sure-fire recommendations that fit well with what I've currently got? I'm already looking into getting The New X-Men Vol. 1 soon, as seeing Genosha wiped out in Astonishing was crazy.

I could also really use some help figuring out what to do with Spider-Man. I have the first issues in that Omnibus, and I've got Ultimate starting to accrue, but it seems like I can't find anything that people say is like a "must-have" for Spidey collections from the late 80's/90's, except for a J. Michael Straczynski version of Amazing. Where do I find the symbiote suit, Venom, Carnage, or the Hobgoblin that I know from the animated series and elsewhere? Are these JMS runs of Amazing Spider-Man what I should be looking at?

I've also got some interest in Deadpool, but what would be a good starting points there? Reading reviews on Amazon can be negative as hell, but I don't know if that's due to an actual lack of quality or just extreme snobbery.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some must-reads in TPB or hardcover form:

Superman: Birthright
    Superman: Secret Identity (if you can find it, they haven't reprinted it)
    All-Star Superman
    Batman & Robin
    Batman: No Man's Land vol. 1-5
    Green Lantern Corps (starts with Recharge and then has about 6 trades of the current series)
    Batgirl (current series, but the previous one was excellent too; it would be better after you get settled into reading some other Batman stories though)
    Red Robin

For the Spider-Man stuff, look for the Spider-Man Visionaries: Todd McFarlane 1-3, as they have the Venom stuff and others from the late 80's/early 90's. There is a TPB of Maximum Carnage out there.

The JMS Amazing Spider-Man run is generally well received up to issue #508. After that it becomes bad rewrites of history like the story called Sins Past and ultimately One More Day, which ends with the incredibly stupid and ham-fisted decision to erase Peter Parker and MJ's marriage. If you buy the first three volumes of this Amazing Spider-Man collection you should be fine.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Trust Tex to show off the DC stuff!

From the Marvel side, great recent comics include...

Immortal Iron Fist
    The Incredible Hercules
    Secret Warriors
    Hickman's Fantastic Four
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Nova

Solar on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently caught some high praise of Immortal Iron Fist somewhere else entirely and was already planning on checking it out soon, actually.

Yesterday I got New X-Men Vol. 1 & 2, Bendis' Daredevil Ultimate Collection 1, Maximum Carnage, and the first collection of JMS' Amazing Spider-Man.

Probably try and make my next purchases more DC oriented instead.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I noticed Marvel.com has an unlimited online subscription for a ton of back issues of various comics. $10 a month, or $60 a year. Sounds almost too good of a price to be true. Has anyone tried it yet, and if so, how complete was the library and what image quality were they?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I noticed Marvel.com has an unlimited online subscription for a ton of back issues of various comics. $10 a month, or $60 a year. Sounds almost too good of a price to be true. Has anyone tried it yet, and if so, how complete was the library and what image quality were they?

I subscribed to Marvel's digital service for a year or more. I know there used to be a free trial. Also, the collectors edition of Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 came with a code for a free month so if you know someone here on the boards they may hook you up, I'm pretty sure not everyone is going to use that.

The service itself is decent enough, especially if you have a nice big monitor. The viewer is much improved over what it was. Images are nice and crisp, although sometimes word balloons can be a little difficult to read.

The catalogue is quite large but don't expect full runs of books. For example, I wanted to read Ultimate Spider-Man, the service had the first several issues, skipped a few, had several more, skipped a few and so on. Very annoying.

In the end I could just never get over the hurdle of not holding the actual book in my hands.

Maximum on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This new Black Panther comic is really promising. Any idea where I should start if I want to explore the character more?

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You could start with the most recent Black Panther series, but Doomwar is the bees knees and all you need for Black Panther in Hell's Kitchen. You will not be disappointed in the story.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So after some hiatus I'm gonna try getting back into ongoing series shenagians and such. However I'm a little out of the loop about what books are worth picking up right now. I'm mostly in super hero stuff but I'll give most things a try. Also I'm already planning on going all out with Green Lantern junk.

So what ongoing series are hot and worth jumping into right now?

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Here are the best Marvel books being published right now:

Thunderbolts
    Heroes for Hire

You can jump on T-Bolts from #144, it's a clean slate from there as Jeff Parker makes it easy to follow.
    Heroes for Hire just started 3 months ago so it's easy to track down.

The best DC books are:

Detective Comics
    Secret Six
    Superboy
    Green Lantern Emerald Warriors
    Batman & Robin

Detective Comics got a new writer with #871 (three months ago), and the dude is killing it. Secret Six has been good since it began, and you could buy the existing trades, even starting with Villains United which is the first time the team forms. Superboy and Emerald Warriors just started so you can find some back issues easily, and Batman & Robin is good but the second story arc has some hard to follow art.

Other recommendations from creator owned work would be Infinite Vacation, Daytripper (out in TPB), Marineman for being light hearted with great art, Atomic Robo, Morning Glories (though the way issue #6 ends it might push you off the book), Unwritten & Fables.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Here are the best Marvel books being published right now:

Amazing Spider-Man #648 on
    Thunderbolts
    Heroes for Hire

You can jump on T-Bolts from #144, it's a clean slate from there as Jeff Parker makes it easy to follow.
    Heroes for Hire just started 3 months ago so it's easy to track down.

The best DC books are:

Detective Comics
    Secret Six
    Superboy
    Green Lantern Emerald Warriors
    Batman & Robin

Detective Comics got a new writer with #871 (three months ago), and the dude is killing it. Secret Six has been good since it began, and you could buy the existing trades, even starting with Villains United which is the first time the team forms. Superboy and Emerald Warriors just started so you can find some back issues easily, and Batman & Robin is good but the second story arc has some hard to follow art.

Other recommendations from creator owned work would be Infinite Vacation, Daytripper (out in TPB), Marineman for being light hearted with great art, Atomic Robo, Morning Glories (though the way issue #6 ends it might push you off the book), Unwritten & Fables.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    BerilBeril Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I say you should go to a con if you want to get into comics.
    I went to the Dallas Comic Con and have been into comics ever since.
    Here's their info:
    The DALLAS COMIC CON returns in a big way this May 21-22!

The biggest comic book convention DFW has ever seen is coming up this May 21-22. This just in - Marvel Comics artist extraordinaire John Romita Jr. has been added to the guest list, the co-creator of KICK-ASS! With the impressive guests list and an exciting new convention center, this is shaping up to be an event you simply can't miss.

Special Comic Book Guests:
    Stan Lee - creator of SPIDER-MAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, X-MEN
    John Romita Jr. - legendary Marvel artist IRON MAN, SPIDER-MAN
    Amanda Conner - artist POWER GIRL, THE PRO, VAMPIRELLA
    Jimmy Palmiotti - writer of JONAH HEX, POWER GIRL, PUNISHER
    Ethan Van Sciver - artist of GREEN LANTERN, FLASH, X-MEN
    Bernie Wrightson - co-creator of SWAMP THING
    Steve Niles - creator of 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, CRIMINAL MACABRE
    Tim Bradstreet - cover artist PUNISHER, HELLBLAZER, HELLRAISER
    Todd Nauck - noted SPIDER-MAN artist of the Barack Obama story
    Mitch and Elizabeth Breitweiser - artists of CAPTAIN AMERICA
    James O'Barr - creator and artist of THE CROW
    Kristian Donaldson - artist of CHUCK, DMZ, 99 DAYS
    Kerry Gammill - artist of SUPERMAN, POWER MAN AND IRON FIST

Special Media Guests:
    Leonard Nimoy - Spock on original STAR TREK, star of FRINGE
    Carrie Fisher - Princess Leia in original STAR WARS trilogy
    Laurie Holden - star of THE WALKING DEAD, THE MIST
    IronE Singleton - star of THE WALKING DEAD on AMC
    John Wesley Shipp - star of THE FLASH, DAWSON'S CREEK
    Amanda Pays - star of THE FLASH and MAX HEADROOM

There will be Q&A panels going on all weekend, and you can
    shop the collectible-filled dealer room for fantastic bargains. The
    show is held at the brand new Irving Convention Center, off of
    O'Connor and 114 in Irving, TX. For all the latest info and full
    schedule, check out http://dallascomiccon.com

Beril on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't bought any comics in years and I'm looking for some tips on recent stuff that's worth picking up as trades or other such collections. I'm not looking for tips on titles to get into for the future, this is basically a result of me having some certificates that are worth $30 each at a local comic shop (only one per visit) so I'm ideally looking for stuff that's under $40. So even though I love Starman and I do intend to get the entire omnibus collection, they're $50 face value and $30 on Amazon, so it would save me more money to just go through Amazon for them.

I have much more experience with and knowledge of DC in general, but I'm totally down with picking up Marvel as long as it doesn't require intricate knowledge of the characters. And of course I'm open to other publishers like Dark Horse.

Stuff that I've enjoyed reading in the past.

fucking LOVED Starman as I already mentioned
    of course I loved Sandman
    Marvel 1602 was solid
    I've read very little Hellboy so would definitely appreciate recommendations on particularly good trades/collections worth picking up in that universe
    I really enjoyed Morrison's run on Doom Patrol way back then
    Kingdom Come rocked

So what recommendations do y'all have for must haves that I've missed?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Y: The Last Man, for sure

Definitely All Star Superman, it may be one of the finest comics of all time

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have heard really solid recommendations on Y, just haven't bothered to pick it up over the years.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the resolution is somewhat weak, but on the whole its very solid

Brian K Vaughn in general is great

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    superhero stuff:

DC: The New Frontier
    All-Star Superman
    Superman: Birthright
    Justice League International/Europe
    -Formerly Known as the Justice League
    -I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

(although I know Jordyn has all that stuff so you could just borrow that from her if she lets you)

non superhero stuff:

Y: The Last Man
    Fables
    Ex Machina
    Locke & Key
    Parker: The Hunter
    -The Outfit

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the only time I borrowed anything from Jordyn was this:

1f0693f5-e854-4a01-a9d6-11c698481e9d.jpg

ahahahahahaha

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arrowsmith: So Smart in ther Fine Uniforms
    The Five Fists of Science
    The Annotated Mantooth
    New Warriors: Reality Check
    Planet Hulk

You will dig all these dru.

I promise you this.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    thanks TLB!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arrowsmith is wonderful and no one ever ever mentions it.

I recommend The Unwritten, it's a love letter to novels and fiction in general, as well as Lucifer, a psuedo sequel to Sandman. They are written by the same guy. Also, Hellblazer: All His Engines.

Hellboy is pretty straight forward, the volumes are numbered. I also recommend it's sister title BPRD, which follows Abe, Liz, Kate, etc.

Northlanders is a very solid viking anthology book, each story arc is self-contained. Very grim and violent.

As for superhero stuff
    Superman: Secret Identity
    Flash: The Human Race
    The Immortal Iron Fist
    Dr. Strange: The Oath
    The Incredible Hercules

Dr. Strange is a single volume, just a very well written fun miniseries. The Immortal Iron Fist is one of my favorite comics ever, a love letter to kung-fu and blaxploitation and pulp goodness. Flash: The Human Race is Morrison(and Millar, I think) writing a really fun, clever Flash story that is pretty damn unique. The Incredible Hercules is just a perfect fun, action-filled buddy comedy superhero book. It also intergrates mythology better than just about any other hero book I've seen. Secret Identity is an alternate reality story, taking place on a world like ours, where Superman exists as a fictional character. A boy named Clark Kent gets his powers. It's very human, and heart-warming.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I also gotta throw out Scud: The Disposable Assassain, Bone, and The Middleman.

All three can be purchased in omnibuses that collect their entire serieses

All three are fantastic.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bone is one of the best fantasy stories I've ever read

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blank you need to read The Middleman

Then watch the show

Then buy the comic of the unmade 13th episode and read that too

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man I will sometime

I am sure I'd love it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first villain they go against is a super-intelligent monkey gangster who wears a tracksuit and speaks only in mobster movie quotes.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, I've read all of Bone and adored it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh and you should get all of Andy Diggle's The Losers.

It is what happens when The A-Team and The Bourne Identity have a baby directed by Sly Stallone

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scud is fantastic. All of the spinoffs of Scud are awesome. La Cosa Nostroid, Drywall, Tales from the Vending Machine. So much good stuff came from Fireman Press.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and you should get all of Andy Diggle's The Losers.

It is what happens when The A-Team and The Bourne Identity have a baby directed by Sly Stallone

I must admit I wasn't wild about that one.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first four arcs of The Losers are some of my favourite comics, the last story Endgame was a little bit disappointing I felt

Anyway, what's a decent horror comic series? Not necessarily gory, not overly in to gore and slashers and such I mean a more kind of series of overwhelming dread being built up

Like in Fall of Cthulu or 30 Days of Night.

Oh yeah I've read the first arc of Locke and Key and didn't particularly like it all that much

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Morning Glories started being a surreal thriller type story but it's been changing it's direction the last two issues.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need some new high fantasy type comics besides Crossgen and what's mentioned in the OP. All of my long ago high school nerdiness is returning, and I've been playing a lot of role-playing games lately, and now I'm in the mood for dudes with magic swords and wizards with pointy hats.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dungeons and Dragons by John Rogers

seriously, it doesn't get better for an ongoing fantasy book right now.

Otherwise, all of Conan the Barbarian by Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Dungeons and Dragons by John Rogers

seriously, it doesn't get better for an ongoing fantasy book right now.

Cool, I'll check that out - I've seen it, but been stung by bad D&D licensed stuff before, so I didn't buy it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd recommend Skullkickers but it might not be the type of fantasy you're looking for

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd recommend Skullkickers but it might not be the type of fantasy you're looking for

Found the online preview issue and... Skullkickers is freaking awesome! Not quite high fantasy, but still a great debut issue. Amazon says the first trade comes out on the 22nd, but also that they have it in stock today. I'm ordering it right now to see what happens.

Hensler on
This discussion has been closed.