As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really enjoyed the "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" adaptation that came out a few years ago. With words by Howard Chaykin and art by Mike Mignola (yesss), it's an adaptation of several of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar short stories. I guess your enjoyment will depend on how much you like Lankhmar. Furthermore, it's more the swords & sorcery fantasy of Conan than the high-fantasy of Tolkien or Forgotten Realms, which may or may not appeal to you. It's fairly cheap on Amazon ($14 for 200 pages), though. I'd recommend giving it a look.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Help help thread.

If I were to pick up one Captain America and one Thor book in preparation for the summer's movies, which would it be?

I'm thinking Winter Soldier UC and Straczynski's Thor.
    Thoughts?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone here know a good starting point for the Flash?

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The question you need to ask yourself here is: Which Flash?

Barry Allen, Wally West, Jay Garrick, Bart Allen

Pick one!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Current Flash series is Barry Allen and just started, that might be the best place if you want an easy book to access.

I don't know if DC kept the Flash trades in circulation, but if you find the following trades:

Born to Run
    The Return of Barry Allen
    Terminal Velocity
    Dead Heat
    Race Against Time
    Emergency Stop
    The Human Race

Those are really good Wally West Flash stories. And there is a Geoff Johns Omnibus coming out soon that has other good Wally stories.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Help help thread.

If I were to pick up one Captain America and one Thor book in preparation for the summer's movies, which would it be?

I'm thinking Winter Soldier UC and Straczynski's Thor.
    Thoughts?
    Those are good choices!

In fact, I would say Winter Soldier is the best Captain America choice, so good job.

Now Thor is trickier, I love JMS' run, but there are some other great Thor books also. The Ultimate Thor mini is pretty great and involves WWII, Thor: The Mighty Avenger might be one of my favorite comics of the last five years and Thor: Ages of Thunder is some brutal straight-up mythology Thor caving in Frost giant skulls action.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And Thor: Blood Oath is just awesome fun.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Current Flash series is Barry Allen and just started, that might be the best place if you want an easy book to access.

I don't know if DC kept the Flash trades in circulation, but if you find the following trades:

Born to Run
    The Return of Barry Allen
    Terminal Velocity
    Dead Heat
    Race Against Time
    Emergency Stop
    The Human Race

Those are really good Wally West Flash stories. And there is a Geoff Johns Omnibus coming out soon that has other good Wally stories.

A new Flash series just started? That's perfect. I'll look into the rest as well.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    here's the hardcover of the first volume. And the next DC event in May, Flashpoint, is Barry Allen centric.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How much do I have to know about Blackest Night and Brightest Day to understand what's happening in the new Flash?

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nothing.

Barry is back because of Final Crisis, and The Reverse Flash is back as one of the chosen people in Blackest Night.

You can also check out Flash: Rebirth which came out before the new Flash series. I completely forgot about it earlier.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's really only one or two scenes I can think of that reference Brigthest Day, and they're not very important or difficult to understand at all.

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. Time to read about the fastest family alive.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    CarlosBCarlosB Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think anyone's mentioned The Killer by Jacamon and Matz, but it's one of the best series I've come across and is just now getting translated into English. It's a French comic about an assassin, very noir-influenced. If you've already read Criminal and 100 Bullets, check it out. The translation is great and the art is fantastic, too. The third collected volume just came out from Archaia. Some previews at the bottom of this page.

killer_cover1.jpg

CarlosB on
  • Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Help Me I'm New To Comics Board.

Which mega thread is appropriate for Secret Warriors discussion?

Gosprey on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Avengers thread probably!

Or the Fantastic Four thread since Hickman's stories are interconnecting.

Or you could make a Secret Warriors thread!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone suggest a good online subscription site? I've looked at midtown comics, but I don't really want to have to get 10 series every month. It also has to be a subscription, I never remember to order stuff if I have to go and do it once a month myself.

Also while I'm here, is there any current monthlies with Iron Fist? Or good Spider-Man monthlies? When I stopped reading comics Amazing Spider-Man was around New Ways to Die and it wasn't super great...

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Amazing Spider-Man is currently one of Marvel's best books. It's the best it has been in twenty years.

Iron Fist is a member of New Avengers and has a miniseries with the new Power Man entitled Power Man and Iron Fist. He'll also be appearing in the Iron Man 2.0 Fear Itself tie-in issues.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was a really awesome Iron Fist series. I think it started in 2005? It sort of fizzled out towards the end, but when it was good, it was really really good. Have you read it? I have most of it in singles, and I want to buy it in trades, or hardbacks or maybe that omnibus. Here's a link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_availability_1?rh=n%3A283155%2Cn%3A%211000%2Cn%3A4366%2Cn%3A4390%2Cn%3A3825121%2Ck%3Aimmortal+iron+fist%2Cp_n_availability%3A2245265011&bbn=3825121&keywords=immortal+iron+fist&ie=UTF8&qid=1302064740

You may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but that is a lot easier to peruse than Marvel's site.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Immortal Iron Fist didn't fizzle out.

It just ended.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Immortal Iron Fist didn't fizzle out.

It just ended.

Well, there were lots of fill-in artists and whatnot, it lost some of its momentum.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The book never really had any bad artists

and Duane Swerrycystyctystzki's run was barely under Fraction's quality. The Eighth City arc was fucking great.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm not saying it was bad. I'm just saying of the art fill-in stuff was a little jarring. Immortal Iron fist is one of my favorite comics ever.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure Travel Foreman did almost all of the art, during Swierczynski's run, with done-in-one issue breaks for guys like Timothy Green II or Giuseppe Camuncoli to come on and tell stories of the other Iron Fists.

I think the fill-in artists were a bigger problem during Fraction and Brubaker's run.

Speaking of the later-portion of Iron Fist, goddamn that Death Queen of California story is awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Travel Foreman did almost all of the art, during Swierczynski's run, with done-in-one issue breaks for guys like Timothy Green II or Giuseppe Camuncoli to come on and tell stories of the other Iron Fists.

I think the fill-in artists were a bigger problem during Fraction and Brubaker's run.

Speaking of the later-portion of Iron Fist, goddamn that Death Queen of California story is awesome.

I'm getting things confused I guess.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to read Batman.

I have read and own The Dark Knight Returns, Dark Knight Strikes Again, Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Haunted Knight, Dark Victory.

I am hoping to get into the whole Battle for the Cowl stuff, and Batman and Robin. Is it acceptable to start buying those trades and just start at the beginning?

Also, how is Hush?

Any other Batman stories to get? I prefer TPB if possible, I don't like waiting issue to issue.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Batman and Robin is fantastic, but you should definitely skip Battle for the Cowl.

If you want to read current Batman stories I suggest everything by Morrison, meaning start with Batman and Son, then go to the Black Glove, then Batman RIP, then (maybe) Final Crisis(it involves the whole DC Universe but Batman plays a pretty big role) then Batman and Robin volumes one and two and finally The Return of Bruce Wayne.

If you want just good Batman stories regardless of era I suggest Batman: Ego and Other Tales by Darwyn Cooke Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk by Matt Wagner and, of course, Batman: Year One.

As for Hush, well, it isn't bad. Its not particularly good either. Its basically Batman fighting his entire Rogue's Gallery with really nice art and a really awful mystery tacked on.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let me recommend Batman: Black and White V. 1-3, Batman: City of Crime, and all of Grant Morrison's JLA. The first two are good stand-alone Batman stories, particularly Black and White, which is just a collection of short stories by some of comics' best and brightest, and JLA's largely responsible for how Batman's dominant characterization.

Batman: No Man's Land is also a pretty good, epic-length story that touches on a lot of stuff. And the Knightfall Saga, while it looks dated today, still holds up pretty well.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would also suggest Batman: Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive 3 volume collection, as well as Batman: The Man Who Laughs TPB

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awesome, thanks guys. It's difficult to find out where to start, but you make it so much easier.

EDIT: Ha, I love you amazon.com I started with Batman and Son and it took me through every single other suggestion in a series of clicks.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CarlosBCarlosB Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just read the first volume of Guerillas, the new series by Venture Bros. storyboard artist Brahm Revel, and really enjoyed it. It's a lot more than monkeys with guns in Vietnam, though it does the monkeys with guns thing really well. I wasn't really looking forward to the Vietnam aspect since it's been done so many times (well, not that much in indie comics), but it actually got me wanting to, I dunno, maybe play Magicka: Vietnam or something.

You can tell from Brahm's art that he works on Venture Bros., as his clean lines are really evocative of Alex Toth -- Jackson Publick (Venture Bros. creator) makes this comparison in the foreword, so I can't claim credit for it but it's quite apt.

The protagonist is a wimpy dude who's disillusioned with the war from the beginning, which lends an interesting perspective. Brahm nails the different voices of the men in the various units, creating a pretty believable backdrop for the wacky monkey business. Maybe the only negative thing I'd say is
    the crazy German scientist (and implied former nazi)
    is kinda cheesy, but it's certainly suitable for a comic anyway.

Fairly lengthy preview here.

guerillas-volume_1287457580.jpg

CarlosB on
  • Options
    TrueVCUTrueVCU Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Sandman made a pretty good gateway drug for me. Vol 1 has some limited references to other DC books, but aren't really off putting and the rest of the series is pretty much its own thing.

TrueVCU on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So this is like, the vaguest question ever, but I want a recommendation on which Trade to read on a plane this Sunday.

Essentially, I have always really liked comics and read them intermittently throughout my life.

I read Daredevil, New Avengers and X-Factor most recently (by month) about 3 years ago.

Since then I've followed the plots of all the major Marvel events and peripherally all the DC ones (I grew up reading Marvel).

Anyways, in the last year or so I've read Y: The Last Man in trades as well as a few selected Frank Miller Daredevil trades and I'm currently reading Secret Identity, which I'm enjoying.

I'm flying across the country on Sunday and figured I'd pick up something to read on the plane. But I'm at a total loss. Since I'm not really and truly interested in staying contemporary, and since there are so many great stories I haven't read, I have no idea where to even begin.

The last big event I loved was Annihilation. I have a soft sport for the Inumans and dig them as characters. I read a lot of War of Kings, but am not sure if Realm of Kings was supposed to be any good? I didn't read any of Shadowland (not sure if its out in trades) nor have I followed much Marvel stuff since Avengers books seemed to kind of all be focused on big crossover events.

I've never really read DC, aside from a few Batman stories, but I love the grandiose aesthetic and the real superhero feel of the books. I had a blast reading Kingdom Come and someone recommended that I read Secret Six or Suicide Squad for some fun DC books.

So I leave this at your feet, wise comics forum. I'm more into superhero books than anything like Fables, at the moment at least, but I've just been out of the game for so long that I don't even really know where to start. I just want good storytelling and good art, maybe enough to get me to start picking up more trades when I get back home.

Thanks for your help.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Immortal Iron Fist Volume 1. Volume 2 as well if you can get it.

Get it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So this is like, the vaguest question ever, but I want a recommendation on which Trade to read on a plane this Sunday.

Essentially, I have always really liked comics and read them intermittently throughout my life.

I read Daredevil, New Avengers and X-Factor most recently (by month) about 3 years ago.

Since then I've followed the plots of all the major Marvel events and peripherally all the DC ones (I grew up reading Marvel).

Anyways, in the last year or so I've read Y: The Last Man in trades as well as a few selected Frank Miller Daredevil trades and I'm currently reading Secret Identity, which I'm enjoying.

I'm flying across the country on Sunday and figured I'd pick up something to read on the plane. But I'm at a total loss. Since I'm not really and truly interested in staying contemporary, and since there are so many great stories I haven't read, I have no idea where to even begin.

The last big event I loved was Annihilation. I have a soft sport for the Inumans and dig them as characters. I read a lot of War of Kings, but am not sure if Realm of Kings was supposed to be any good? I didn't read any of Shadowland (not sure if its out in trades) nor have I followed much Marvel stuff since Avengers books seemed to kind of all be focused on big crossover events.

I've never really read DC, aside from a few Batman stories, but I love the grandiose aesthetic and the real superhero feel of the books. I had a blast reading Kingdom Come and someone recommended that I read Secret Six or Suicide Squad for some fun DC books.

So I leave this at your feet, wise comics forum. I'm more into superhero books than anything like Fables, at the moment at least, but I've just been out of the game for so long that I don't even really know where to start. I just want good storytelling and good art, maybe enough to get me to start picking up more trades when I get back home.

Thanks for your help.

What you really want to read, to get the most bang for the buck and to eat up the most time, is Kurt Busiek's Avenger's run. Look for Avengers Assemble, the first volume is out in TPB but there are 5 lovely volumes in hardcover format.

Then I would suggest Astro City, which is superhero comics boiled down to its purest essence. If you liked Kingdom Come this has a similar vibe with heroes just being everywhere, I cannot recommend the series enough.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Retardical_SamRetardical_Sam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just wanted to pop my head in and say thanks for compiling all this information. I'm looking to get into comics more, so this is perfect for me!

Retardical_Sam on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    okay, so, I got that free month of marvel online or whatever, and I was always interested in the House of M series, so I blew through that today. What are some good follow ups to it? As in, stuff taking place right after that event? Doesn't have to be with anyone specific.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know the whole "what happens to all that mutant energy?" Well it gets referenced in a New Avengers story called "The Collective" where they fight the being which is made up of all that energy. I like the story in the most part, though some don't, and I find it pretty, though that was right before Civil War and so some of the stuff in there leads onto that next event. New Avengers vol. 1 16-20 are what you are after for that.

Solar on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    okay, so, I got that free month of marvel online or whatever, and I was always interested in the House of M series, so I blew through that today. What are some good follow ups to it? As in, stuff taking place right after that event? Doesn't have to be with anyone specific.

I enjoyed Messiah Complex, so you might look into that.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sweet, I'll check out both of those. Thanks. :)

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
This discussion has been closed.