As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    okay, so, I got that free month of marvel online or whatever, and I was always interested in the House of M series, so I blew through that today. What are some good follow ups to it? As in, stuff taking place right after that event? Doesn't have to be with anyone specific.
    Christos Gage wrote three follow-up minis, set in the House of M universe; House of M: Avengers, Civil War: House of M, and House of M: Masters of Evil. And David Hine's Son of M mini-series deals with the fallout, from Quicksilver's point of view.

Munch on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Someone should get Servo to update the OP, it's three years old now. It doesn't even have All-Star Superman in it!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sigh

newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    What are the best on-going Batman and Punisher titles? I'm looking to subscribe to a few more books. Right now I just have The Walking Dead and Deadpoolmaxx coming in.

I'm open to anything else to add to my list really but the less TPBs I have to buy to catch up with current issues, the better.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Well, the entire DC comics line is getting a reboot/relaunch in September. If you wanted to hunt some back issues now, the first 22 issues of Batman & Robin and Detective Comics from #871 to present would be the best Batman work.

Come September, you want to check out Batman, by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. And maybe Batman & Robin by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    there's also a new Punisher series by greg rucka thats going to be launching soon.. in August I think?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can I get some Weird Western recommendations? Regular western is fine too.

As far as current books go I'm aware of Jonah Hex, Deadlands, Trailblazer, The Sixth Gun, and Hawken. Is there anything I'm missing, or any really good books from the past I should hunt down?

Edit: A question for Transformers fans: Is Hearts of Steel worth tracking down? I love the concept art I've seen from it, but I've never really been into transformers.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Hearts of Steel is actually quite decent
    Mark Twain fights a steampunk jaguar

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, I'm sold.

Edit: Second hand prices for the trade are a bit silly. If it hits Comixology, I think that will be my first digital purchase if I don't cave and pick up the singles on eBay first.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Well, the entire DC comics line is getting a reboot/relaunch in September. If you wanted to hunt some back issues now, the first 22 issues of Batman & Robin and Detective Comics from #871 to present would be the best Batman work.

Come September, you want to check out Batman, by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. And maybe Batman & Robin by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason.

I spent all day reading about the DCNU as well as (almost) our entire thread about it. I have put in my subscription order for Batman, Batman and Robin, Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Justice League Dark, and Demon Knights.

Exciting times!

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    That's a very solid selection :^:

• Options
    iidesuiidesu Registered User, __BANNED USERS new member
    what do you want us to do, then?

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I just finished the last three Ultimate Spider-Man trades before the reboot. I did not like that ending.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on another hero to follow or a new series to read. Like I said, I just finished Ultimate Spider-Man (Spider-man is my favorite). I also read (via trades) The Walking Dead, read the whole Y: Last Man series, and I have a few other books (Batman - Long Halloween, Returns, Year One, The Runaways books 1 and 2, W3, Marvel Zombies 1-3 and Army of Darkness, that Russian Superman one, and some others).

Are there any hockey related comics? PLEASE do not suggest that abomination of an NHL comic. Haha. I have Essex County: vol 2 and liked that for its hockey theme.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    As was said in the Ultimate thread, that series wasn't actually rebooted. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man picks up pretty much right where Ultimate Spider-Man left off.

As for other stuff to read, well if you liked Y: The Last Man - Ex Machina is another self contained series by Brian K Vaughn that is pretty fantastic.

In more of a superhero vein, Brian Bendis (the guy who writes Ultimate Spider-Man) has a run on Daredevil that is fantastic and is collected in three big paperbacks. this is the first one.

You can't go wrong with Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America, which starts here

Runaways is also pretty fucking spectacular for the entirety of Vaughn's run so that'd be worth finishing up as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    peggypeggy Registered User new member
    It's owesame.The Runaways trades are fine if you buy them two at a time.
    Speaking of, I need to pick up the next one at the shop this week.
    Either that, or the Irredeemable Ant-Man digests.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I have book 1 and 2 of The Runaways. I am trying to find a third, but I assume they aren't up to it yet?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Are you talking about the hardcovers? Marvel did have 3 hardcover volumes for BKV's run, though it might be out of print.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Get Skullkickers and Chew

Also Bone if you don't already have it

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    the 3rd oversized hardcover of Runaways is def out of print, the rest of that run has to be collected in some other format though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Damn that's like an exact list of some of my main rereading trades on my shelf, also on that shelf, Preacher, worth a look, and has a definitive beginning/end to the series.

Gaiman's Sandman is another, but harder to collect at times.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    honeybunchhoneybunch Registered User new member
    I'm wondering if someone could recommend me some fairly recent superhero type comics that start with the origin story and progress from there. I've actually read a fair few of these in the last few years, and am having trouble finding more. Still, I doubt I've exhausted comics that meet my criteria.

Ideally, it would be something from the last few decades (probably no earlier than 1980) that starts at or before the character's origin story. However, if there's some new character that shows up first in another comic but really gets development in their own title, that would be alright. So far, I think I've read Runaways, Invincible, the Cassandra Cain as Batgirl stuff, and a good bit of Ultimate Spider-Man. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone could suggest something else along those lines.

Danke.

• Options
    Does the Great Machine count as a super hero? Because if yes then Ex Machina.

James Robinson's Starman

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blue Beetle (origin happens in an event book but the first trade established all you need to know)
    The rest of the Ultimate Universe kind of starts at the origin, if you wanted to read X-Men or Ultimates

• Options
    honeybunchhoneybunch Registered User new member
    edited August 2011
    Balefuego wrote:
    Does the Great Machine count as a super hero? Because if yes then Ex Machina.

Looks interesting. I read Y: The Last Man by the same author, and I liked that pretty well. From reading the Wikipedia article I'm actually not sure if Ex Machina is quite what I'm looking for, but I'll definitely put it somewhere on my "To Read" list, especially as it looks like my library has it. Are the political themes done in a way that's not too heavy handed?

From what I read about them just now, Starman and Blue Beetle both look like exactly the sort of thing I was after.
    TexiKen wrote:
    The rest of the Ultimate Universe kind of starts at the origin, if you wanted to read X-Men or Ultimates

I'll look into those. Honestly, I think it would be a bit harder to find what I'm looking for in a larger team book, simply because those won't be able to focus on much on one or a small number of characters growing into their powers and their role. Still, if my library has any of those I'll check them out.

Thanks for your recommendations. These should keep me busy for a while, but I certainly wouldn't mind if anyone had more.

honeybunch on
  • Options
    the politics in Ex Machina are very even handed, I don't like it as much as Y but Y is my favorite comic of the past decade

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Try Immortal Iron Fist, his whole backstory gets detailed and expanded on in the series.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    So I have been thinking of starting a new series.

The last trades I purchased were Locke and Key, The Unwritten and The Boys.

I am not a HUGE fan of superhero comics, though I do like the boys, and I read my roomates issues of ASM.

Is Invincibles the best thing ever? I have heard from a couple people it's amazing, and the trades look pretty cheap on Amazon. I have also been thinking about picking up Hellboy. Is this also awesome?

I have read and loved Preacher and Y: The Last Man. Have the complete runs. I got a little into Fables, but lost interest. I have read all of Walking Dead. I also just picked up the first Madman and the Atomics, and sort of liked it. Is Madman stand alone worth grabbing? I also really want to grab some self contained Batman stuff, any suggestions?

And if you have seen anything I didn't mention that follows the same vein that you think I would like, feel free to point it out.

I (and Amazon) will thank you in advance.

siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Sandman.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Invincible is pretty terrible. Have you not read any Hellboy? Hellboy is all awesome, you should buy all of Hellboy and also BPRD.

For stand-alone Batman stuff, check out Batman: Ego, Batman and the Monster Men/Mad Monk, and Batman: Year One, for starters.

• Options
    You would probably like Rick Remender's Punisher series (and Ennis'), it's only 3 volumes but along the same line that you've been reading.

American Vampire is also worth a read.

• Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    OK, I ordered the first three trades of Hellboy.

I actually have read Ennis' Punisher, and loved it. He and Dillon need to do a new series. Actually, I wish Dillon was doing the art on The Boys. It's hard for me to stand the art in that book.

I have also read the first trade of American Vampire, and liked it, but not enough to buy it.

Has anyone read The Stand/The Gunslinger comics? Are they any good? I loved the novels, and would like to see them done right. But I just picked up the first trade of The Talisman, and wow, was I ever disappointed. The art was OK, but it seemed like they were trying to cram everything together as fast as they could.

siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    We3 is great, and Hellboy is my favorite comic ever. Then again, I started reading from the fourth volume and worked backwards. If I had started from the first one I doubt I could have gotten into it.

Tairu on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    what do I read if I want to get into Marvel's Moon Knight?

Like, what's good and what's awful.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    oops double post

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    hmm double post

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    ok...triple post

Maximum on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Your best bet is just to read Bendis' Moon Knight. It's pretty damn good and has no chance of being cancelled since it is Bendis' baby.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ok. I'll try this again. His book gets cancelled every other year, mostly for good reason.

If you're completly unfamiliar start here. [url][http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Moon-Knight-Marvel-Essentials/dp/0785120920/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1315251718&sr=8-7/url] It's in black and white but it really is quite good.

His new book just started and you can probably track down the first 5 issues. This has been fantastic so far. If you'd rather wait, a hardcover is being released at the end of the year. [/url]http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Knight-Brian-Michael-Bendis/dp/0785151699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315251718&sr=8-1

• Options
    I think I'm familiar enough with the character that I don't think Essential MK is nessesary.

But would the 2006 series be worth reading or no? Otherwise it looks like I got another ongoing to pick up, because I do like Bendis writing things.

p4.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The initial trade, The Bottom, is worth it but everything afterwards ranges from alright to terrible.

Vengeance of the Moon Knight is fun but not fantastic

really nothing is super necessary. Bendis' take on the character is less horribly depressing than it has been in the last decades.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.