As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight is a semi reboot in the sense that it's a brand new take on the character so just dive right into that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    read the bottom

• Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    Has anyone read "The Escapists" by Brian K. Vaughn? Or "The Escapist" by Brian Chabon?

I just read the book "Cavalier and Clay", and it was amazing.

siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Escapists is really good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I love the Escapists.

A good rule of thumb is, if it was written by Brian K. Vaughn, it's really good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    Awesome.

Is Ex Machina really science fictiony? I am not a real sci-fi kinda guy when it comes to comics.

siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    My girlfriend wants to get into comics, and she likes Thor. However, I have no idea what Thor stories are good. The only thing I've read with Thor is the current Fear Itself and like the first 10 issues of Thor 2007, plus Siege.

I thought the Thor 07 could be good but it has so many references to other characters and stuff that I feel like she wouldn't get. Any good arcs? Is Ultimate Thor good?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Thor: The Mighty Avenger
    Thor and the Warriors Four
    Walt Simonson's Thor

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Thor was rebooted a few years back, he had been on a break but the series began again, written by Straczynski, and has continued for a while now under Gillen and then Fraction. It's been a great series, with great art and writing (especially from Gillen), and I can recommend that you pick up the trades, which should be available from Amazon.

This is a link to volume 1 of the recent series, which currently runs to about five books I think? A few months ago the book split into two, Journey into Mystery and Mighty Thor, but there's been no trades of that yet so it's probably not a worry. Anyway, like I said, this is a good place to start, there are classic runs you can pick up later for your girlfriend, like the Simonson run, but right now this will statrt her off well.

http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Vol-J-Michael-Straczynski/dp/0785117229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316650269&sr=8-1

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Crazyness!

Solar on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Also the standalone mini Thor: Blood Oath is fantastic.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So after about half a year of deciding whether to take the plunge or not, I dropped money on Marvel's Digital Subscription system. I was originally hoping to get DC instead, as I grew up with shows like Batman TAS. But apparently DC doesn't offer anything like that, and i'll be damned if I drive half-way across the state to reach a comic book store/pay ridiculous prices for physical copies.

So, for someone who has a bit of a background reading about comics, but has had very little chance actually reading comics (Marvel Comics especially.), what are some series that are recommended that are up on the digital service, that would be good for someone new to the medium?

As a side-note, I just spent about four hours chugging down the first twenty or so issues of Cable/Deadpool, and I can see why Deadpool caught on like Wolverine did. I originally meant to only read the first five or so, but alot of this stuff is genuinely funny, and there's a few genuine tearjerker moments between the laughs and action.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Detective Comics #871-881 are the best, and are up on comixology. While it's Dick Grayson as Batman, it's some of the best Batman work in years.

There is Grant Morrison's JLA up, that has the first 20 issues or so, check those out because it's got one of the best team dynamics that set a new bar for team books in the industry.

Superman Birthright is the best Superman story (doesn't count anymore due to the relaunch, still worth a read).

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    When I had a two month subscription to Marvel Digital, I first went through and read all of the events in the last decade (I started with Civil War though), then I read Cable/Deadpool, then kind of fell out of it and read old Wolverine titles until it expired. Oh and I fit in the first half of 2007 Thor run before Siege in there somewhere too.

However, I would also suggest Iron Fist: The Last Iron Fist Story or whatever, it's great. Also maybe New Avengers (i've only read 1-15 though, but I liked them). Sometimes Marvel Digital is frustrating because they don't have quite everything, especially recent stuff, but it does have plenty good to read through.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    If you can get Immortal Iron Fist, Thunderbolts or Incredible Hercules then you totally should

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Rebirth
    No Fear
    Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    Wanted: Hal Jordan
    Sinestro Corps War 1
    Sinestro Corps War 2
    Secret Origins
    Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Agent Orange
    Blackest Night

Just wanted to thank you for this list as well, I've been reading through it and saw several other GL books (Ring Quest for example) that seem to fit in there. For a full GL run (starting with Rebirth) would you be able to suggest a reading order? Or can I skip the other books and just go with this list?

• Options
    Those other GL books were a part of Green Lantern Corps, which are worth reading as well.

I know Rans posted a complete chronological reading list somewhere here, I'll try and find it and bring it back.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Thank You! I think I found it

Does this look right?
    Green Lantern: Secret Origin
    Green Lantern: Rebirth
    Green Lantern: No Fear
    Green Lantern Corps: Recharge
    Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    Ion: Torchbearer
    Green Lantern Corps: To Be A Lantern
    Green Lantern: Wanted - Hal Jordan
    Ion: The Dying Flame
    Green Lantern Corps: The Darker Side of Green
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War (i believe they re-released this in one trade now, otherwise there is a part 1 and part 2)
    Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest
    Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire
    Green Lantern: Agent Orange
    Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse
    Blackest Night
    Green Lantern: Blackest Night
    Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night
    Green Lantern: Brightest Day
    Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
    Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
    Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer
    Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns
    War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath

• Options
    Yep, that's it. Anything else you need to know about Green Lantern, Rans is the go-to Guy (Gardner).

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Arkham City has made me want to buy a graphic novel or two, and I'm trying to decide between either Year One or The Dark Knight Returns.
    Gonna get The Killing Joke with one of those.
    Thoughts?

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Year One. It's fantastic, you won't be dissapointed.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    get all 3! ( altho I'm more partial to DKR cause grew up with it in singles and loved it, didn't get to yearone til much later, but it is also excellent) To go with Killing Joke tho, I 'll agree with Maximum that Year one would fit with it somewhat better.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some comics similar to Barry Ween, Boy Genius?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    -Mini Marvels
    -Gus Beezer (although I think it's one of Simone's weaker things outside of the Spider-Man issue)
    -Roger Langridge's Muppets run

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    g-man

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    Does anyone know any good comics that revolve around a school or has the main characters doing classes or something? The new Wolverine and the X-Men has got me excited and I wanted to find something with a similiar premise.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Dekabal wrote:
    Does anyone know any good comics that revolve around a school or has the main characters doing classes or something? The new Wolverine and the X-Men has got me excited and I wanted to find something with a similiar premise.

Morning Glories, maybe?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    If you're not reading Morning Glories, you're wrong.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Morning Glories starts off great, then it hits a wall of stupid with #6, #7 felt like a forced origin story for one of the characters and by issue #8 I lost interest in the story. Maybe Spencer is actually telling the story now instead of stalling.

Generation Hope is kind of a school type setting. And Umbrella Academy is really good.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Avengers Academy; troubled teens at a school for superheroes.

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors; troubles teens at a school for supervillains.

Grounded;
    a boy without superpowers is sent to a school for superpowered kids.

Hero Camp; a boy without superpowers is sent to a summer camp for superpowered kids.

X-Men First Class;
    the original students of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters have adventures.

Teen Titans; a new group of teen heroes are mentored by the first generation of Teen Titans.

Then there's stuff like Machine Teen, Arana, Invincible, Dynamo 5, Firebreather, Spider-Girl, Gravity, etc. that feature young heroes, sometimes in a school setting.

If you're looking for something that's not superheroes, but still has something of a weird school element to it, check out Gunnerkrigg Court. Force yourself past the rough art in the beginning, because it improves pretty quickly.

Munch on
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Munch wrote:
    Avengers Academy; troubled teens at a school for superheroes.

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors; troubles teens at a school for supervillains.

Grounded;
    a boy without superpowers is sent to a school for superpowered kids.

Hero Camp; a boy without superpowers is sent to a summer camp for superpowered kids.

X-Men First Class;
    the original students of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters have adventures.

Teen Titans; a new group of teen heroes are mentored by the first generation of Teen Titans.

Then there's stuff like Machine Teen, Arana, Invincible, Dynamo 5, Firebreather, Spider-Girl, Gravity, etc. that feature young heroes, sometimes in a school setting.

If you're looking for something that's not superheroes, but still has something of a weird school element to it, check out Gunnerkrigg Court. Force yourself past the rough art in the beginning, because it improves pretty quickly.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. the X-Men, Gladstones, and Gunnerkrigg Court look really good. Just so i'm not a mooch, something I read a while back along this vein was a manga called Hollow Fields. Its technically a manga but its by an American artists and it reads and even kinda looks like a comic book. Even if you don't like manga, its definitly worth a read.

Just as an aside, are there any other books you guys would recommend in the same vein as X-Men: First Class, X-Men related or otherwise?

Dekabal on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What about Umbrella Academy, I've heard that's good.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is, but it focuses on the aftermath of teen superheroes. You see them as kids in flashbacks, but the actual story follows them as dysfunctional adults.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ParventineParventine Registered User regular
    Could anyone recommend any Ms. Marvel-centric story-arcs outside of her self-titled series? I'll settle for anything with lots of Carol. On an entirely different note, I'm also interested in any artists who draw in a similar style to Humberto Ramos. TIA.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The font of gunnerkrig court, however, never gets better.

• Options
    Parventine wrote:
    Could anyone recommend any Ms. Marvel-centric story-arcs outside of her self-titled series? I'll settle for anything with lots of Carol. On an entirely different note, I'm also interested in any artists who draw in a similar style to Humberto Ramos. TIA.

With regards to your second question, there is Carlo Barberi, who has drawn Impulse, and is one of the artists who seems to be rotating on the current Deadpool series, and drew the Deadpool Suicide Kings mini.
    Francisco Herrera is another artist who is very close to Ramos' art, and he drew a few Peter Parker: Spider-Man issues that might be in trade (#51-52). He also drew a Venom series by Daniel Way that I would avoid, it's 2 issues of story over 6 issues imitating Carpenter's The Thing.
    And there's Carlos Meglia, who has drawn some Superman stuff (Action 799, Adventures of Superman 603-605, Superman Infinite City).

• Options
    ParventineParventine Registered User regular
    Thanks for that TexiKen.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hi, Graphic Violence.

So, I'm sitting here scratching my head, trying to figure out what to get my son for Xmas, and I thought, you know, maybe there are some comics out there he'd like. He's the right personality for it, but I grew up in an area where comics didn't really exist, so I'm not a great judge of what might be appropriate. So, since I'm a newb, but my criteria are a bit strange for a normal Google search, I figure I'll turn to the PA community's awesome hivemind of knowledge!

Specifically, any books or trade paperbacks that would be "appropriate" for a six year old boy. And by "appropriate", I don't mean "for kids", as I'm cool with him reading pretty much anything as long as it's not overly filled with sexual tension or adult situations. I'm thinking epic adventures, world building, Good vs Evil stuff, without the "who's dating who" drama.

I mean, I'm guessing stuff like Spiderman would be good, and I'm sure he'd probably like stuff like Sonic. His current small selection of Simpsons and Scrooge McDuck comics are way, way below he's reading level, though. The term "Mouseguard" has come up as well. How about maybe some Green Lantern?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Marvel Adventures is a good line of books for kids. Very humorous takes on characters, not bogged down with too much continuity, and not too dark.

DC Comics has a similar line of books called Johnny DC or something like that, but it seems geared toward really young kids rather than kids of all ages.

Beyond that, you might Joe the Barbarian, which is a bit more mature but not quite PG-13. It definitely fits the qualities of epic, world-building, Good vs Evil, and it's an entirely self-contained story. It's probably above his reading level, but you could always read it with him.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'll check those out, but let me be clear: He's in 1st grade, but he's reading 4th and 5th grade level books. I'm not against books for kids if they're good, but I'd prefer they be challenging enough to hold his interest. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.