As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If you don't mind a drive, you could take a look at Showcase Comics up in Bryn Mawr and the Granite Run Mall, they usually have a bunch of backissues in stock

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Meow. I'll have to check it out sometime. I won't need to for Venom since I already ordered them. This whole "get issues delivered to your local store" thing seems like it could really grab you and make you spend a ton of money. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited February 2012
    So, I am trying to sort out my Ultimate Spider-Man stuff to get. I have...

1. Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 1-22
    1. Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 1-2 (after the crazy apocalypse crap....which I would love to read more about if you have suggestions)

I plan on getting...

1. Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 3
    2. Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man Fallout (I assume this will complement the transition?)
    3. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volume 1-2

I hope the newer stuff is still as good as the old Ultimate series.

edit: Also, I am looking to fill in the gaps near issues 7-8 of Venom. It is Spider-Island stuff, so would I be good just getting the Spider-Island trade? I am waiting for issue 9 of Venom to arrive, so I don't know if things are cleared up there or not. End of issue 8 said continuing in Spider-Island (I think).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Okay, you'll want to get
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volume 3 : DoSM Prelude
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volume 4 : Death of Spider-Man
    Ultimate Comics Fallout
    and then this is the first volume of miles morales
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volume 1

you may also want to check out Ultimate Doomsday
    While it is not primarily a spider-man story, it is written by bendis, and Spider-Man, Spider-Woman and Aunt May's house has pretty decent parts in it.

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited February 2012
    I assume this and this are both the same, just different covers. And one is hardcover and one is TPB.

I am talking about UC Spider-Man vol. 3.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    yes those are the same

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Everything I ordered from Amazon and that site you gave me arrived today. That was fast. Me tonight...

tumblr_lyzmdbZJWK1qfy2kdo1_r1_500.gif

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    That's me every night

It is so sad when I get all my issues I was looking for and now have NOTHING. NOOOTHINGGGG.

How do you guys store your single issues? Do you put them all in individual sleeves? I think that is what I am going to do. I am going to sell most of whatever old crap I have and throw in sleeved new stuff into my cardboard thingy. I might need to get a smaller storage box. The one I have is huge.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Yes. Bags and boards into the box. I was so happy when my stack of bagged and boarded comics graduated from needing a shelf to a full box.

huntresssig.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Having just got the Spider Island trade yesterday I have to say it was fantastic and the venom issues interweave right into it so it's definitely worth it if you want more.

Although I'm a little sad by lack of iron fist/immortal weapons/chang chi. I'll have to grab the deadly hands of kung fu tie ins for that won't i?

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Yes. Bags and boards into the box. I was so happy when my stack of bagged and boarded comics graduated from needing a shelf to a full box.

Just be careful or you'll end up like me! I can't fit more in my Box closet ( which was originally just a single box way back in the day!) now I'm working on a second closet of boxes. First closet has them 7 boxes high and 6 boxes wide.

Damn, I am a packrat.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Seriously. I just gave up floppies for digital a few months ago for this very reason.

You feel good after you fill up your first longbox. Then it's the second, third, fifth, tenth....

Then your whole storage room is filled with thousands of comics and you start to feel...a bit off.

I bought a short box. I mainly am using it for Venom and Batman. I have the TMNT Donatello Micro Series, a few Walking Dead, and a handful of other randoms in there. I plan on getting the Avengers vs Xmen stuff (the main series and the VS one). After that, I am back to just Venom (and maybe continuing Batman).

I got Batman & Robin and Detective Comics on my iPhone through Comixology. I love it. I just wish I had an iPad to read them on instead.

So, is the Venom arc in Secret Avengers done once the AvX issue comes along?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • nalemnalem Registered User regular
    Wow, there have been so many comics shared already. I gotta get in on this!

Here are a number of favorites I must recommend. They're kind of obscure (maybe?) but you can find them all on Amazon. I gotta say though, they're slice of life, so if they're not your bag, well, skip them? Haha. I lurked for quite awhile here, but I may have missed someone posting these, so I apologize if they're repeated.

Level Up, American Born Chinese, and Prime Baby by Gene Luen Yang
    Solanin by Inio Asano
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier
    Koko be Good by Jen Wang
    Yotsuba& by Kiyohiko Azuma
    Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi (not really slice of life, rather an autobiography!) I'm sure everyone's heard of Persepolis by now, her bigger book. But if not, check that one out too, and the movie! It's beautifully animated.
    Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (it has a ghost in it, so it might not be slice of life anymore).
    Octopus Pie by Meredith Gran (I know, it's a webcomic, but good and in print now!)

And one that isn't slice of life, but still really good is Ayako by Osamu Tezuka. Maybe I'm just a coward, but this one gave me nightmares. It's good, but really twisted.

heirbannerblank.png
    Lighter than Heir- Military, drama, flying girls. 3 days a week.
  • UnderclassHeroUnderclassHero Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I want to show my girlfriend how much I love her. One such way is to give her a comic, or a couple of comics, outlining the extent to which a man will go for the one he loves.

For some reason I thought of Amazing Spider-Man #121 where Gwen Stacy's neck snaps due to Spiderman's webbing. In the next issue, he's a man on the edge, with every intent of killing the Green Goblin, but doesn't. I'd like a story such as this (where the meaning could be interpreted over 2 issues #121 - #122 without having much knowledge of previous issues) but where the superhero actually gets revenge (although the Green Goblin does die). The reason I'm not going for these comics is that they're pretty damn expensive and I think there may be cheaper, more relevant ones out there. With that said, I would buy a more expensive comic if it portrayed exactly how I feel and maybe wasn't as grim.

I really enjoy reading comics, although I'm no expert on them. I can't think of any that would symbolize what I want to say and so any suggestions of cool yet romantic comics would be appreciated.

Thanks guys :)
    (btw I didn't know if this was the right thread to post this in)

UnderclassHero on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt is pretty good in the "whatever it takes" romance department. Peter busts out of being buried alive because of his love for MJ. It's all nice and neat in a trade paperback

Action Comics #766 is a great Lois & Clark story where Superman is dying from Kryptonite poisoning, but is trying to find Lois who was kidnapped by the Parasite. Batman comes in to help play detective, and you see how much Clark loves her even as he's dying. Really good issue.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Amazing Spider-man Volume 2 , #50 had a really sweet moment with MJ and Spidey in an airport after Dr. Doom attacks the airport they are in. Less showing the extent, but more showing the feelings that come from needing her to do what he does.
    It's in the "Life and Death of Spiders" trade ( preceding stories in the trade show Peter without MJ, pining for her return.)

Do not get One More Day/One Moment in Time.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • sciptomylousciptomylou Registered User new member
    Hi, obviously I'm here because I'm new to comics, and like most people who are new to comics, I feel kind of overwhelmed. I keep seeing absurdly high issue numbers reaching into the hundreds and others that go back to decades ago. When I see that I feel like I'm probably missing so much background if I don't read it, but I can't buy all those comics or I'd go broke. Plus I get the feeling you're not supposed to do that because it just seems like a really inefficient way of handling a problem that comic book writers had to have seen coming. Either way I like to know about how the origins and past experiences of a hero contributes to his decisions and actions. But then sometimes I wonder if it matters or not. For example my friend gave me his Astonishing X-men comics to read and I was absolutely in love with them. Some stuff kind of confused me for the reasons above, but for the most part i think i filled in the gaps pretty well and by the time I finished the ending gave me chills. So that was an overall success. So what i guess i really need to know is whether or not all of this continuity stuff matters? If I find a character or group I like and just read some popular story arcs and stuff until i feel like I'm ready to hop into what's currently being written will it really mess anything up? I also thought about buying one or two of these comic book bundle things i found on this site where they just throw two pounds of comics together based on whatever category you choose. Maybe just to find out what i like and wanna read. I just wanna read some comics when it comes down to it, so if you can help a guy with some comic reading theory advice or whatever you wanna call it it would be much appreciated. sorry about the long post by the way

Generally most comics as of late have pretty accessible starting points. DC relaunched everything with pretty fresh starts last September, so you can start with any of their properties with the new #1s and get caught up. The DC thread (title is "the Secret Huntress Fan Club") has an entire guide to getting started as the first post which you could use.

Marvel's stuff is a bit more complicated. What Marvel does do is put out issues that are marked with a .1, like Avengers 24.1, and which are supposed to serve as good jumping on points. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't - like Avengers 24.1 would probably just confuse the hell out of you. It also doesn't help that they have a pile of continuity tie-ins going on at any point, like the giant event Avengers versus X-Men going on right now.

What's probably easiest is for you to tell us some stuff you're interested in, whether that's specific characters you've seen in shows, games, or movies; or specific styles or ideas (like I want a big space-y scifi adventure) and we can help you find some specific things out.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I feel like most writers these days understand how much of a barrier continuity feels like to new readers these days. Marvel in particular, since they have never done a full reboot of their universe in the way that DC has. These days, whenever a story references something that happened in the past, they reference it in a way that gets you up to speed without wasting a lot of time. For instance, in the current Venom series, Flash Thompson lost his legs in Iraq. Now, you could go back and find those comics and read all about how it happened and stuff, but the recap page at the beginning of every Venom comic tells you "This is Flash Thompson. He lost his legs in Iraq. Now he's a superhero." Because that's really all that's relevant to the story they're telling. I definitely understand the desire to go through the back catalog, though. A lot of it is fantastic stuff. My personal opinion though is that the best way to get in is to start by reading some complete collected stories, just jumping in and experiencing what's out there without worrying so much about the ancient history.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty much everything is set up to give you a good entry-point. Most single issues label their arcs Such and Such Part 2 of 4, or whatever. On top of that, there's recap pages, Wikipedia, and trade paperbacks.

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Okay so I got me a fancy little kindle fire and am wondering what is the best digital comics solution for it? I have comixology and apparently Kindle offers some comics as well.

Does anyone offer 'buy this physical copy and get a free digital' type thing?

Also is Runaways a good comic?

steam_sig.png
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    Okay so I got me a fancy little kindle fire and am wondering what is the best digital comics solution for it? I have comixology and apparently Kindle offers some comics as well.

Does anyone offer 'buy this physical copy and get a free digital' type thing?

Also is Runaways a good comic?

Comixology is the best solution, because it works on multiple devices (and the web), Only thing is you'll have to buy the DC books on the web(they'll sync to your kindle fire though) because of some silly tiff amazon and dc are having. Starting in June all 3.99 Marvel books will come with a digital code.

You can also order 3.99 DC comics with digital code pack-ins, although your LCS may not order them for the stands so you would have to pull those specific copies yourself.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BluemindBluemind Registered User regular
    What program(s) would you guys recommend for keeping track of my growing little collection of physical comics? Excel? Something else?

• DrrrkDrrrk Registered User regular
    Hey, guys. New to comics here and I'm kind of confused about distribution to stores. Image's website says that Thief of Thieves #4 is supposed to be in stores this week, but my local shop just put out a list of their new releases and it's not on there. It seemed like the release date for this one was kind of vague up until recently. Of course I'll ask the store what's up on Wednesday, but I was just curious if release dates are established very suddenly and, as a result, come out in stores a week or so after their announced on-sale date.

Sometimes release dates are messed up in terms of what's on the list or not, and company websites are sometimes the most innaccurate.

This is the most accurate list for comics, as it's from the distributor.

Marvel and DC have finally gotten around to making sure their books ship on a monthly basis, but Image is still pretty loose with schedules because it's more a middleman between creators and their stories they want to tell. Nick Spencer's other work, Infinite Vacation, had something like 4-5 months between issues in the beginning.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I've decided to get back into reading comics - something I haven't done for years aside from grabbing a few trades a year or so ago. I grabbed a few of the new 52 thinking they'd be a good starting point (along with some freebies from Saturday) but I'm left with a few questions...

First off all, they seemed to lack much in the way of story progression. Not the perfect analogy but it felt like when I was a kid, a comic was sort of like a TV show - it had a beginning, middle and end and may or may not have been part of an overall story across books. It felt like the first few I picked up this weekend were more like one segment of a TV show and it would take months just to get any real story out of them. Is this because the New 52 are just starting, or is that something that's shifted in general? For example I grabbed Batwing (because I thought the African setting was cool) and Swamp Thing because the artwork looked really awesome. Batwing seemed extremely brief in content in the first two issues.

Second - I'm debating between digital and physical. I don't want to become a psycho collector buying everything in sight and filling my game room with books (which is something I tend to do when I collect something, I tend to go all Catch em All on things). I prefer the printed format - but thought if I grabbed a cheap android tablet I might like the convenience of digital. Are there any hidden advantages/disadvantages of either format I might not have considered?

Finally in catching up on a few series...what are the advantages of single issue vs trade? Pricing? Paper quality? Which route should I go if I want to catch up to a series in bulk?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Unless you just like having a box full of single issues, I can't think of any advantage of single issues vs. trades. Provided a trade exists and is not ridiculously overpriced because it has been out of print for a few years.

I switched to trades years ago and haven't looked back. It's a personal preference, but I've never really liked reading digitally.

Catalog of what collections marvel will be releasing sept-dec.
    Not really anything surprising other than a "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe" book
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/08/hachette-releases-marvel-catalogue-for-end-of/

So I've decided to get back into reading comics - something I haven't done for years aside from grabbing a few trades a year or so ago. I grabbed a few of the new 52 thinking they'd be a good starting point (along with some freebies from Saturday) but I'm left with a few questions...

First off all, they seemed to lack much in the way of story progression. Not the perfect analogy but it felt like when I was a kid, a comic was sort of like a TV show - it had a beginning, middle and end and may or may not have been part of an overall story across books. It felt like the first few I picked up this weekend were more like one segment of a TV show and it would take months just to get any real story out of them. Is this because the New 52 are just starting, or is that something that's shifted in general? For example I grabbed Batwing (because I thought the African setting was cool) and Swamp Thing because the artwork looked really awesome. Batwing seemed extremely brief in content in the first two issues.

This is definitely a thing that you will find with most comics these days. Over the last couple of decades, single issues have changed from being a whole story in 22 pages to telling just part of a story arc. Not all comics are that way, and not all of the ones that are that way feel so incomplete, though. Comics twenty years ago had a lot more dialogue per page, whereas comics these days showcase the art a lot more. It's one of the reasons many people just buy trades instead of individual comics these days.
    Second - I'm debating between digital and physical. I don't want to become a psycho collector buying everything in sight and filling my game room with books (which is something I tend to do when I collect something, I tend to go all Catch em All on things). I prefer the printed format - but thought if I grabbed a cheap android tablet I might like the convenience of digital. Are there any hidden advantages/disadvantages of either format I might not have considered?

Finally in catching up on a few series...what are the advantages of single issue vs trade? Pricing? Paper quality? Which route should I go if I want to catch up to a series in bulk?

Other advantages to trades are that they have a better binding than just two staples, and there are no advertisements in them. The only real advantage in buying single issues is that they come out about six months before the trades do. Buying single issues is basically paying a premium to keep up with the story as quickly as possible.

If you want to catch up to a series in bulk, definitely browse trades on places like Amazon, Barnes and Noble, eBay, etc. You can often get many trades dirt cheap on the internet.

I have an Android tablet that I read comics on, and I definitely recommend it. You save a lot of space and it makes your collection extremely portable. Also they often give away free single issues of various books.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info - I especially hadn't considered the advertising. I was actually pretty annoyed to find a good chunk of each book was ads, interviews and a giant preview of a Batman comic. It left very little actual comic in terms of perceived value to me. I think I may go trades or digital then.

How large a tablet do you have? Financially I don't know if I want to jump on a 10" but I'm concerned the smaller sized ones might be too small to read?

edited May 2012
    My tablet has an 8.9" screen, and I think it's pretty perfect for comic pages, as long as they're not double-page spreads, in which case I have to do some pinching and zooming to read the word balloons. I think 7" such as the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet have are definitely kind of small for reading comics well.

Centipede Damascus on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here's the deal, I'm picky with comics. Things that bug me:

"NO KILLING EVER OR YOU ARE HITLER"
    "I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL STOP JUDGING MEEEEE"
    "I'M A SUPERHERO PUNCHING OTHER SUPER HEROES AND SEXING EVERYTHING THAT MOOOVES (also doubles for) I'M A VILLAIN! RAPE RAPE RAPE!"
    "I AM A SOUNDING BOARD FOR MY WRITERS POLITICAL BELIEFS, REPUBLICANS ARE EEEEEVIL."

Things I like:

"Holy shit! Is that a paramilitary superhero force fighting Taliban agents with giant crabs and snappy one liners?"
    "Sweet, I like how that character is super heroic and noble, and also not a pussy."
    "Ha ha, oh CRAZY CHARACTER X will your inventive murdering never change?"

I'm also interested in jumping into the hideously deep waters of Marvel-dom, I love the Avengers film verse and I have a decent collection of DC, so it's time to branch out.

Help plz.

Based on my investigations, is this a good "Essentials" list? I like mostly movie Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool and SHIELD. Secret Invaders are also cool from what I've seen and remind me of the Suicide Squad. Basically I like a balance between old school and new school superheroes.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Secret Invasion (What was the SHIELD volume?)
    Uncanny X-Force vol 1
    New Invaders: To End All Wars (this is the one with all the crazy USagent, Blazing Skull and Union Jack stuff right?)

Any tips for finding and/or cost saving on trades?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

"I'M A SUPERHERO PUNCHING OTHER SUPER HEROES AND SEXING EVERYTHING THAT MOOOVES (also doubles for) I'M A VILLAIN! RAPE RAPE RAPE!"
    "I AM A SOUNDING BOARD FOR MY WRITERS POLITICAL BELIEFS, REPUBLICANS ARE EEEEEVIL."

Things I like:

"Holy shit! Is that a paramilitary superhero force fighting Taliban agents with giant crabs and snappy one liners?"
    "Sweet, I like how that character is super heroic and noble, and also not a pussy."

I'm also interested in jumping into the hideously deep waters of Marvel-dom, I love the Avengers film verse and I have a decent collection of DC, so it's time to branch out.

Help plz.

Based on my investigations, is this a good "Essentials" list? I like mostly movie Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool and SHIELD. Secret Invaders are also cool from what I've seen and remind me of the Suicide Squad.

Uncanny X-Force vol 1
    New Invaders: To End All Wars (this is the one with all the crazy USagent, Blazing Skull and Union Jack stuff right?)

Based on your recommendations I'd start here.

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Soldier-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785143416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336507946&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-Vol-Nightmares/dp/B007F7TQ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336508053&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Warriors-Vol-Agent-Nothing/dp/0785138641/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336508072&sr=8-4

Thanks!

I also like that Amadeus Cho kid, he's got moxy.

Things I like:

Help plz.

Based on my investigations, is this a good "Essentials" list? I like mostly movie Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool and SHIELD. Secret Invaders are also cool from what I've seen and remind me of the Suicide Squad. Basically I like a balance between old school and new school superheroes.

Uncanny X-Force vol 1

It sounds like 99% of what Mark Millar does would be up your ally, like Kick Ass, Supreme, Nemesis, etc.

New Invaders is the best Marvel book ever published. You might want to get the Avengers volume titled "Once and Invader" because it leads into New Invaders.

Scott Snyder's Detective Comics run, in a hardcover called the Black Mirror, it's fantastic.

You have to be careful with Captain America, as Winter Soldier is a good story, as is the Vampire story following it, but then it gets into Civil War and since then Steve Rogers became much more political and grand standing than he did in previous years. Now Mark Waid's Captain America run from the 90's, it's been collected and starts with Operation Rebirth, that's just good old fashioned superhero stuff.

Iron Man Extremis is a good story, and the follow up stories by the Knauffs and Patrick Zircher are good as well (the follow up to Extremis is a story called Execute Program). That whole Iron Man run was good until they cancelled it, don't know how much they collected.

Secret Invasion wasn't that good. There's a new Punisher series that just launched, by Greg Rucka, it's been getting good reviews, buy that instead.

Uncanny X-Force, all of it, buy it.

Another recommendation would be Mark Waid and Andy Kubert's Ka-Zar run, it's two trades, and it's basically tarzan in New York City, good clean fun.

edited May 2012
    Kickass seemed really dumb to me. I like it when heroes don't take shit from badguys, but I don't like it going into ultra-violent self parody like Preacher and the Authority and the like (a bunch of self-absorbed psychos who think they're doing the world a favor). I also like classic super hero stuff like fighting apes on the moon, I don't think 'old-fashioned' super heroics are stupid, they just need balance.

Best example I can think of from DC is Suicide Squad. You have some really messed up people there, and they take no shit, and manage to do some good in-spite of themselves. They also have bombs in their heads like any sane person would do using super villains as black ops agents.

I have a huge soft spot for C-listers like JLI, Booster Gold, Blue Beatle and the like.

Not that others are dumb for liking what they like, it's just what *I* like.

manwiththemachinegun on
This discussion has been closed.