As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You might like Venom, manwiththemachinegun

It's by the same guy who writes Uncanny X-Force(amazing) and it's sort of like a darker Spider-Man/Deadpool

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Venom is okay from what I remember.

What's good from the new DC relaunch? Are JLA, Suicide Squad and Deathstroke good?

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Warren Ellis's Thunderbolts run would probably be right up your alley too.

Venom, Bullseye, Moonstar, Radioactive Man and some other villians all working for the government, tasked with capturing unregistered superheroes. Very Suicide Squadish in the sense that it's bad guys working for the greater good against their will.

I was going to link it but apparently it's out of print...good thing I have my two hardcovers squirled away.

Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts run starts here...http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolts-Cage-Jeff-Parker/dp/0785147756/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336513905&sr=8-4

This time it's Luke Cage leading a team of misfists instead of Norman Osborn and it may wind up being even better than Ellis's version. I'm only into the second arc myself right now but I'm loving it.

Maximum on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Things I like:

"Holy shit! Is that a paramilitary superhero force fighting Taliban agents with giant crabs and snappy one liners?"
    "Sweet, I like how that character is super heroic and noble, and also not a pussy."
    "Ha ha, oh CRAZY CHARACTER X will your inventive murdering never change?"

I'm also interested in jumping into the hideously deep waters of Marvel-dom, I love the Avengers film verse and I have a decent collection of DC, so it's time to branch out.

Help plz.

Based on my investigations, is this a good "Essentials" list? I like mostly movie Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool and SHIELD. Secret Invaders are also cool from what I've seen and remind me of the Suicide Squad. Basically I like a balance between old school and new school superheroes.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Iron Man: Extremis
    Secret Invasion (What was the SHIELD volume?)
    Uncanny X-Force vol 1
    New Invaders: To End All Wars (this is the one with all the crazy USagent, Blazing Skull and Union Jack stuff right?)

Any tips for finding and/or cost saving on trades?

That's mostly a good list, yeah. Brubaker's Captain America run is great, you can also check out Mark Waid's late 90s run for some good stories. Uncanny X-Force is pretty much the best book for Deadpool murderin' action right now. If you like X-Force, also check out Remender's Venom series that's going on right now. Fantastic stuff. Extremis is a good Iron Man story, you'll want to follow that up with Matt Fraction's Iron Man stuff, starting with The Five Nightmares. New Invaders is definitely the book with USAgent and Blazing Skull, it is great.

Do not buy Secret Invasion. If you want SHIELD action, read Secret War and then Secret Warriors, followed by SHIELD: Architects of Forever.

As far as saving costs on trades, just browse Amazon and eBay and see where you get the best deal.

Centipede Damascus on
    Venom is okay from what I remember.

What's good from the new DC relaunch? Are JLA, Suicide Squad and Deathstroke good?

Suicide Squad is awful. Deathstroke is forgettable. Justice League is okay if you like Geoff Johns' kind of writing, I guess.

Action Comics, Batman, Flash, Animal Man and Swamp Thing are all great.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Aquaman is a decent read, again if you like Johns' storytelling.

I'd toss Batman and Robin in there too.

edited May 2012
    Shame, I liked their redesigns.

Edit: So why should I care about Iron Fist and Luke Cage? Convince me with awesome plz.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    mystic kung fu and superhuman street level beatdowns

Immortal Iron Fist fucking rocks

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    If you want to save a few bucks and have a Netflix IW account I'd suggest just watching the Extremis motion comic. It's short and quite well done for the style. Or you could watch it on Hulu for $0 and no account.

steam_sig.png
    So half 80s Kung Fu and half A-Team heroes for hire?

Not bad. ;)

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Immortal Iron Fist is one of my favorite runs ever. so depending on how much stock you have in my opinion...

So half 80s Kung Fu and half A-Team heroes for hire?

Not bad. ;)

it's like Bruce Lee and Black Dynamite had a baby together and that baby choked a dragon to death with its bare hands

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    immortal iron fist is one of the greatest comics

i wish i hadn't lost my orson av and sig

i just google searched orson randall and my av showed up linked to the awesome moments thread a little bit down the results... was mildly freaked out there.

Are those hydra mooks?

Yup!

• Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    Any comic where I get to see Kung-Fu action kicking Ex-Nazis in the face is okay by me.

• PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    so i don't really read a lot of comics, but my girlfriend is always giving me new ones to read. anyway i've been enjoying casanova because it's excellent. now every time i talk to someone about it, they brush me off because apparently lots of dude hate matt fraction but not enough to give me any legit reasoning. thoughts? the gf says she thinks it's because of his marvel runs but she doesn't seem to have a problem with them and i'm interested in reading more of his stuff.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Casanova is Fraction's best work to date, his Iron Fist work with Ed Brubaker is also good. Those are the go to Fraction stories.

After that he started writing Uncanny X-Men which wasn't that good, average at best, and Iron Man, which had a very good first arc, then World's Most Wanted hit and it just felt very spread out and tedious and had a few plot holes in it. It has apparently gotten better since then. He also wrote an event, Fear Itself last year which wasn't that good and really left people with a bad taste because it was the worst example of a summer event in comics. His Defenders work recently seems to be back to his old form.

Fraction is essentially a guy whose initial comic stuff really stood out, but he expanded too fast or just didn't get certain characters and he wrote some pretty bad, recent stories.

• PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    thank you for that in depth analysis! much appreciated.

pmdunk.jpg
    Phonehand wrote: »
    so i don't really read a lot of comics, but my girlfriend is always giving me new ones to read. anyway i've been enjoying casanova because it's excellent. now every time i talk to someone about it, they brush me off because apparently lots of dude hate matt fraction but not enough to give me any legit reasoning. thoughts? the gf says she thinks it's because of his marvel runs but she doesn't seem to have a problem with them and i'm interested in reading more of his stuff.

It's true that some of his Marvel stuff has been mediocre but there's a lot of gold there too. The fact that he's one of the biggest writers in the industry now probably has something to with the haters and Marvel's last big event, Fear Itself, which he was the architect of was supposedly terrible (I haven't read it yet).

Anyway, these are probably the best place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Punisher-War-Journal-Vol-Civil/dp/0785123156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337197160&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Iron-Fist-Vol/dp/0785124896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337197188&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Iron-Man-Vol-Nightmares/dp/0785134603/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1337197245&sr=8-29

People criticize his Iron Man work after the first volume I linked because it's so decompressed but if you just stick to trades that shouldn't be an issue.

His entire run of Punisher and Iron Fist were amazing (as everyone here will attest to).

He also wrote Uncanny X-Men for a few years but with the exception of a couple issues it was forgettable.

Still haven't gotten around to reading his Thor work yet but I've heard mixed reviews on that.

Think that covers everything. Dude writes a lot of comics now. Maybe too many.

• crushercrusher Charlie EnglandRegistered User new member
    Hey I was hoping somebody could help me.
    I've just started reading comics and last weekend I went into my local comic book store and asked him where I should start when it came down to marvel. I told him I wanted to start with Spider-man, Avengers or X-men. He told me it was best to start with the Ultimate's. So I bought the first two volume's of Spider-man.

I also want to start reading DC comics, more specifically Batman and I was hoping someone could tell me where to start with this? Also was the guy right it telling me to start with the Ultimate's?

'I'm the Doctor' - The Doctor
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    As for Batman, I'd suggest starting with the core title simply titled Batman. It's up to issue #9 right now, and #1 has gone back for numerous reprintings, so it should be easy to find copies of all nine issues.

After that, I'd check out the Batman & Robin series, also up to issue #9, so same story there. I'd probably avoid Batman: The Dark Knight and maybe Detective Comics but I guess that depends on just what type of Batman you enjoy.

There's a few satellite series you might be interested in checking out, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwing. But they usually don't have The Man himself in them.

Thanks I'll go check them out sometime this week.

Guess I'll beat Texiken to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337624725&sr=8-1

This is just before the New 52 relaunch but I don't think it really matters. If you have a spare 16 bucks I'd highly recommend it. 300 pages of a pretty much perfect Batman story.

I've just ordered it. Thanks!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    crusher wrote: »
    Hey I was hoping somebody could help me.
    I've just started reading comics and last weekend I went into my local comic book store and asked him where I should start when it came down to marvel. I told him I wanted to start with Spider-man, Avengers or X-men. He told me it was best to start with the Ultimate's. So I bought the first two volume's of Spider-man.

I also want to start reading DC comics, more specifically Batman and I was hoping someone could tell me where to start with this? Also was the guy right it telling me to start with the Ultimate's?

If you're looking for graphic novels that aren't in continuity, definitely check out the work of Jeph Loeb and Time Sale. Both Dark Victory and The Long Halloween are great, with the latter being my favorite Batman story ever.

@Maximum gets a gold batarang for that, it really is the best Batman story in a long time.

And then after that you can pick up Gates of Gotham and the Batman vol. 1 hardcover that just came out, and you're gellin'.

edited May 2012
    Personally my go-to for batman is always Heart of Hush... but you'd probably want to read the original Hush arc before that. and my opinion is probably impacted a bit by nostalgia of that being the first batman arc i read when i got into buying monthly comics instead of just reading trades in my local library.

initiatefailure on
    If someone wanted to go back in time to read some great Batman, I'd recommend starting with Batman: Year One along with Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk. Now those are some pretty perfect Batman stories.

Also @crusher, Ultimate Spider-Man is very good, but the current run on Spider-Man that started with Spider-Man: Big Time is also very good and worth reading.

especially the spider island arc. its pure spiderman fun and really used the marvel universe well

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If someone wanted to go back in time to read some great Batman, I'd recommend starting with Batman: Year One along with Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk. Now those are some pretty perfect Batman stories.

Agreed. I just sold them cause I'm trying to downsize, but they are pretty fucking rad. Matt Wagner knows his stuff.

Thanks I'm going to comic book store this weekend and I'll see when what he has.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Guess I'll beat Texiken to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337624725&sr=8-1

This is just before the New 52 relaunch but I don't think it really matters. If you have a spare 16 bucks I'd highly recommend it. 300 pages of a pretty much perfect Batman story.

What issues is this - the Jim Gordon Jr. stuff?

yes, yes they are

from what I've seen it is waaaaaaaaaaaay darker than i want from my batman stuff.

edited May 2012
    Anti they're dark but not Finch's level of Dark Knight or the gritty for the sake of it. It's got a few pages of gross but it comes after 10 issues establishing why. It's a weird explanation but the violence shown doesn't feel out of place or extreme, like how Goodfellas has some gore but it works for the story it's telling. Some other stuff was dark simply because of a Fear Gas derivative. What you have to recognize is that Dick during the whole thing remains pretty upbeat, he wouldn't chang a thing.

TexiKen on
    I dunno, I remember seeing scans months back

the plot and the happenings in the book just didn't seem like something I'd want to read.

Maybe i'll give it a shot if it's at my library, but I honestly prefer lighter stuff.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Is there some kind of comic search engine? I've been trying to look into the comics in the OP, but all I get are wikis, movie adaptations, and other things. I can eventually find the actual sites for the comics, but it'd be quicker if someone had a Google CSE or something similar for them.

This discussion has been closed.