As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spring into Action Figures!

• Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    but...but that's Batman. Did I enter some other reality because I didn't go to SDCC? Probably.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    If I ever came into a ridiculous amount of money, collecting the DC animated figures would be on my To Do list. They're so hard to find up here in Canada. :(

DMAC on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    It's apparently not a Batman figure?

dear mattel

stop making "x version batman/superman/flash/big people"

and start making everyone that hasn't been put out yet

I think they have to make main hero variations in every wave, because that's pretty much what kids buy. Kids don't really buy Copperhead or Gentleman Ghost. Even Mattel's line is going to release a "Stealth Batman" variation.

Lux on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lux wrote: »
    It's apparently not a Batman figure?

dear mattel

stop making "x version batman/superman/flash/big people"

and start making everyone that hasn't been put out yet

I think they have to make main hero variations in every wave, because that's pretty much what kids buy. Kids don't really buy Copperhead or Gentleman Ghost. Even Mattel's DC Superheroes line is going to release a "Stealth Batman" variation.

Of course they're going to do that. It's good business.

As long as the line still sells, they're going to keep pumping out reissues of Superman / Batman etc. But, inbetween those they'll of course release other 'fan/collector requested' figures.
    Another fan asked about the Teen Titans appearing in the JLU line, and a Mattel rep said that’s a good idea and it’s under consideration. During the slide show, Mattel put up a slide that pictured Captain Atom, Captain Marvel, Giganta, Cheetah, Blackhawk and a few others. They said that they read the boards, they know who we’d like to see and that they’re going to try and get as many fan favorite characters in the line as they possibly can.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why do kids like having variations on the same figure? I didn't.

You couldn't use two versions of the same character in a story, so I'd end up having to pretend one was a shape-shifter or teenaged clone or simply not use it at all.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay, I figure this is the best thread to ask this. My Dark Knight Returns Superman fig is no longer really cutting it as some paint has fallen off his head (now he looks like he has a blad spot on the side of his head) and I'm tired of his righ arm always falling off. Thusly, I am hunting for a new Superman figure and I was wondering if you all had any recommendations.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You couldn't use two versions of the same character in a story, so I'd end up having to pretend one was a shape-shifter or teenaged clone or simply not use it at all.

I had a ton of different batman figures when I was a kid and I always just said he was changing suits for various purposes.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I had a ton of different batman figures when I was a kid and I always just said he was changing suits for various purposes.

I might've done that if I had had a naked Batman figure to signify the transition.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I might've done that if I had had a naked Batman figure to signify the transition.

DDont give them ideas, or we might get trunks-dropping action Robin, and "turns invisible!" bathrobe Batman with lil bunny slippers.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So I was looking for a few things I may have missed from Comic Con, and came across some Marvel replicas being made by Windlass Studios / MovieReplicas.

A few goodies here, and well, a few losers.

First and Second.

The Thor helmets look good, though the white wings really need some sort of a wash. I think the art on the stands make them look kind of cheap. A small nameplate would look better in my opinion.

Mjolnir looks sweet.

Infinity Gaunlet looks...bad. Just doesn't seem to translate well into the real world.

The Iron Man helmets would be okay, if they were priced at like..100 bucks. But no, like the other big replicas, they are $350+

The Phantom's dual .45's look great too.

They've also got two Captain America shields in production, Round and WWII versions.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    img0562mg0.jpg

something here isn't right

Note the name on the Batman packaging.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    yes, we all understood what I was talking about

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, so you were talking about that. That's what I initially thought but then everyone started talking about all the retarded costume variations that come out for kids. I got confused. Please don't beat me, sir. It won't happen again.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, so you were talking about that. That's what I initially thought but then everyone started talking about all the retarded costume variations that come out for kids. I got confused. Please don't beat me, sir. It won't happen again.

too late

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it wrong that I bought a cheap second-hand He-Man just to re-create this comic cover?

hemanvssuperman.jpg

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not wrong.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Any one got any pic of the new line of figures coming out with Judge dredd and other comic chacter like that?

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    So I was looking for a few things I may have missed from Comic Con, and came across some Marvel replicas being made by Windlass Studios / MovieReplicas.
    First and Second.
    <snip>

That Cyclops visor shall be mine. I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering until the Captain America shield becomes available, though. I've always wanted to geek out with a life size replica of it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Any one got any pic of the new line of figures coming out with Judge dredd and other comic chacter like that?

http://lcbh.marvellegends.net/LCBH/LCBH01/

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Got my Kingdom Come Red Robin today!

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I figure this is the best thread to ask this. My Dark Knight Returns Superman fig is no longer really cutting it as some paint has fallen off his head (now he looks like he has a bald spot on the side of his head) and I'm tired of his righ arm always falling off. Thusly, I am hunting for a new Superman figure and I was wondering if you all had any recommendations.

Anyone?

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love both Red Son Superman figures, get one of those.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I figure this is the best thread to ask this. My Dark Knight Returns Superman fig is no longer really cutting it as some paint has fallen off his head (now he looks like he has a bald spot on the side of his head) and I'm tired of his righ arm always falling off. Thusly, I am hunting for a new Superman figure and I was wondering if you all had any recommendations.

Anyone?

uh

look at superman figures and pick the one you like best?

That's my recommendation.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Anyone?

The Justice series Superman is cool, if you like Alex Ross's style. The DC Reactivated Series 1 Superman is also good. If you don't mind waiting, the Trinity series Superman looks like it will be awesome.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Anyone?

The Justice series Superman is cool, if you like Alex Ross's style. The DC Reactivated Series 1 Superman is also good. If you don't mind waiting, the Trinity series Superman looks like it will be awesome.

Ok, it's time I step in here.

The best Superman DC Direct made is this one -

justiceleague.jpg

It's from Series 1 of the original JLA line (usually dubbed 'Angry face' on ebay). When the Superman line came out (Superman, Supergirl, Brainiac 13 and Hank Henshaw ) they used the same body, but it had a new, younger looking face sculpt. The same figure was then used for the JLA Series 1 reissue, and the Re-Activated! Series 1 figure.

In the Jusice Leage boxset, featuring harpoon hand Aquaman, the same figure was used, with a different face sculpt and darker shade of blue on the costume. I didn't care for it.

Then you have the artist specific Superman figures. The best of those, like mentioned, is the one from Justice. The Justice line is scaled larger than most other figures though, but it fits with Superman. In the Superman through the Ages boxset, a "John Byrne" Superman was released, using the same Justice body, with a Byrne style headsculpt.

And so on and so on. You've got your Turner, Lee, Benes, Silver Age...everything.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I so want that Kyle figure. Nay, need it.

(My burgeoning GLC isn't complete without it...)

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Snagged the variant transparent Justice Martian Manhunter off eBay for a very nice price. Makes up for paying through the nose for the Hush Nightwing.

I'm closing in on completing my original Justice League and original Justice Society collections. I've got the Kingdom Come versions of Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Hawkman. I need the KC Flash, KC Spectre, and a Sandman to complete the JSA collection. I'm not sure what I'll do for Sandman, since there isn't an Alex Ross designed Wesley Dodds out there.

For the League, I don't really have anything yet, but the Justice box set coming out next month will give me Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Batman. I've got that Martian Manhunter variant on the way, but I want the regular version also. I need to pick up the Justice Flash, Justice Aquaman, and Justice Green Arrow to complete the original League. Technically, I could leave out Green Arrow, because he wasn't a founding member.

I'm basing my definition of "original members" on my copies of All Star Comics Archive Vol. 0 for the JSA and Showcase Presents Justice League of America Vol. 1 for the JLA.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Question: why do a lot of action figures have holes in the bottoms of their feet?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Question: why do a lot of action figures have holes in the bottoms of their feet?
    Answer: So they can stand up on the little stands/pedestals/whatever that some come with.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Answer: So they can stand up on the little stands/pedestals/whatever that some come with.

I never get a little pedestal thing

Bloods End on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

I never get a little pedestal thing

I know on my old G.I. JOE action figures the holes in the feet were generally there so that you could attach their feet to a peg and secure the figure down into a vehicle or something similar. A small handful of them came with a rectangular figure base/stand too.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2007
    A bunch of playsets used to have them too. Like you could get a firehouse Ghostbusters playset and a Ninja Turtles sewer set, and they'd have little pegs you could slide their feet onto.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A bunch of playsets used to have them too. Like you could get a firehouse Ghostbusters playset and a Ninja Turtles sewer set, and they'd have little pegs you could slide their feet onto.

Yeah, most every action figure had a standard foot peg-hole size. Star Trek figures could fit on Ninja Turtles vehicles, etc.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    randomproxyrandomproxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes the little peg-stand doesn't even work. I picked up both the Green Lantern and Sinestro figures based on Alex Ross art, and they don't stay standing up for shit. There's only a peg and hole for one foot, and both of them still tip over.

Not, amazingly, because the pegs don't hold on -- the plastic in the ankles actually warps to the point where they fall over with their feet still planted on the ground.

Is there a way I can fix that?

randomproxy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zalbinion wrote: »

Yeah, most every action figure had a standard foot peg-hole size. Star Trek figures could fit on Ninja Turtles vehicles, etc.

who are you and what are you doing in my city

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes the little peg-stand doesn't even work. I picked up both the Green Lantern and Sinestro figures based on Alex Ross art, and they don't stay standing up for shit. There's only a peg and hole for one foot, and both of them still tip over.

Not, amazingly, because the pegs don't hold on -- the plastic in the ankles actually warps to the point where they fall over with their feet still planted on the ground.

Is there a way I can fix that?

Are the pegs coming out from the base?

Some pegs are wider at one end than the other, so you might want to try flipping them around.

I haven't had any troubles with the Justice bases. Hell, they work too good, since they're so fucking big.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    randomproxyrandomproxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

Are the pegs coming out from the base?

Some pegs are wider at one end than the other, so you might want to try flipping them around.

I haven't had any troubles with the Justice bases. Hell, they work too good, since they're so fucking big.

The pegs are fine. The problem is, there's only the one peg, on one foot. So the figure tips toward the leg with the peg in it. So much so that the ankle in that leg bends at the ankle (and there's no joint at the ankle). I blame the unseasonably hot weather we've been having for warping the plastic like that... I just wonder if gluing or otherwise attaching the other foot to the base would solve my tipping problem.

randomproxy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    jesus mary Hasbros star wars line up looks good. Mara and Luke, hobbie and soontir, dark woman and a'shard hett.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, I can cross KC Flash and KC Spectre off my list now. Anyone have suggestions on a good Wesley Dodds Sandman? I could consider Norman McCay the KC Sandman, because Dodds did sort of pass the mantle to him, but it's not the same. I want a Sandman with a cape and a gas mask.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jesus mary Hasbros star wars line up looks good. Mara and Luke, hobbie and soontir, dark woman and a'shard hett.

Link to pics?

smokmnky on
This discussion has been closed.