As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spring into Action Figures!

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Is there any sort of custom community for the Mighty Muggs? I'm sort of curious about the process people use to paint one.

DMAC on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    See, I would buy that Mighty Mugg.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's pretty rad Reigner. Do post more pictures as you go.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You wish is my etc etc.

2q9e6c0.jpg

I've discovered I need to find a paint that dries smoother and softer, not rough and chalky like what I have.

11ry8u1.jpg

I've also discovered I suck at painting.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    what paint are you using? it looks like tubes of craft-grade acrylic if i'm not mistaken.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2008
    That's exactly what it is. Bought em at Michaels long ago and never used them. I really don't want to buy Gamesworkshop paints just for this one project though so if there's something comparible for a lower price that'd be great.

Reigner on
    edited July 2008
    Even if you use real acrylic paint instead of that watered down shit, you'll come out ten times better. Also, make sure if you have a michael's to always ask to sign for their weekly coupon to get the discount.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2008
    10948.jpg.fpx?qlt=80&wid=265&cvt=jpeg

This is the stuff I'm using actually. I'd assume this is craft-grade acrylic?

Reigner on
    edited July 2008
    yeah, that stuff is only like 10% pigment and 90% water. That explains why it looks so blotchy and why you're having such a hard time covering up the white.

If you use acrylic, you're better off with the stuff in the toothpaste looking containers, even if you have to mix to get a color, just remember to get white to lighten it up as you mix it to keep it from getting muddy colored.

paint_stand.jpg

A good acrylic paint will dry to have the consistency of latex.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited July 2008
    Superrock

You live in... my town and all, we both know that. Does our Michael's sell the paints you're talking about? I'm typically doing very small paint jobs/corrections so the craft acrylics usually work well enough for those. But does anywhere around here sell the acrylics you're talking about?

Because I'm thinking of customizing my Movie Masters Joker's face like this customizer did. Normal acrylic stuff is usually fine for small paint jobs like that, like I mentioned earlier, but I've been wanting to buy some more/better paints anyhow

dsc00471ky3.jpg

Not my picture obviously, a poster at another forumer commissioned this repaint. But I'm confident enough to do a few of those changes myself. Not touching the eyes, whoever repainted it did a really good job on the eye makeup.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I use the liquitex brand stuff. It can be pricey if you don't take advantage of the discounts by buying them one at a time. However, one set'll last forever. The key to it is being selective in the color paints that you buy:

Cadmium Red
    Scarlet Red

Ultramarine Blue
    Phthalo Blue

Hansa Yellow
    Cadmium Yellow

and large tubes of black and white'll last you forever. The vast majority of the spectrum can be made with those colors, and since you add your own water to thin it out, it takes a really small amount of it to do anything.

You'd want to lightly sand the parts that you are painting and prime it. If Michael's has it, get some Black Gesso. I haven't used it, but the miniature-painting crowd screams wonders about it. There's practically no detail loss, and it gives a black undercoating which looks much cooler if left visible in cracks than white would.

From some dude's blog:
    I always used to prime my minis with white or black spray enamel primer. It usually took three or four passes from different angles. Eventually the garage filled with fumes, and a day later and many visits to the garage, and I had my minis ready for painting.

Shown here is a technique using black gesso paint from Liquitex, but you can also get it from other makers at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Gesso is an all natural paint made from carbon black, limestone, and water. It has been used for centuries as a prep for canvases, and it is probably safe for kids or ingesting. The only modernization is that the medium is no longer just water, but some acrylic medium and flow aids. Since I paint minis and not canvases, I usually thin the gesso with 25% water.

As you can see, it goes on quite goopy and thick with a soft brush. However, it incredibly shrinks and forms a thin layer no matter how thick you apply it. Any small pin hole bubbles or missed spots can be covered with a second splotch with the brush.

The advantages are that gesso is very cheap, no fumes, non toxic, immune to high humidity, and a very good base for acrylic paints. I also think the desiccating effect of the limestone has the same effect as enamel solvents in dissolving grease such as fingerprints and mold release oils. The time of application for 12 horsemen is about 30 minutes, approximately half the time if you used a spray primer in 3 coats with about 20 minutes dry time between passes. Gesso can scratch with rough handling, but overall it makes a great base for acrylic paints. I am sold and will no longer go back to noxious fumes.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Worsel96Worsel96 A Castle in the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've used the white Gesso on my customs and it works really nicely. A lot of the paints cover it in one coat though for some of the lighter colors you'll have to use more. It's way better than painting directly over the figure itself. Don't forget to watch the figure before you paint, too. It helps the paint stick by getting rid of the mold release that is on a lot of the toys.

Worsel96 on
  • cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For that custom could you do the thing where you use tape to blank off areas and get smooth edges, or would that not work

cherv1 on
    edited August 2008
    Took some pictures of my repaint (need to clean up that right ear a little bit, it's not noticeable from a normal viewing distance)

Basically did all of the eye and lipstick with a thumbtack.

Figure looks much better with normal lighting and seen from like 3-4 feet away. But I obviously took the pictures up close and with a ton of light to show the details.

joker350.jpg

jokerrevised.png

jokerprofile.png

Here's what the figure looks like out of the box (not my picture)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/shimsham/jokermm.jpg

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh fuck yes.
    img4337nt7.th.jpg
    img4336yh7.th.jpg
    img4333yc5.th.jpg
    img4331xj5.th.jpg
    img4329fb1.th.jpg

Sorry about the shitty pics, but I am very tired and very excited about this toy and I don't have good light and fuck it, I am so tired.

Bobo on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Oh my stars and garters

I wasn't really interested in the JLA Trophy Room line of collectables, but this?

GL_PowerBattery.jpg

This I am buying so much.

OMG another one.

The last time they did lantern replicas I was like 19 and broke.

I am SO getting this.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You and me both, friend, you and me both.

Wildcat on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am 28 and broke.

Well not really, but I still cant afford it. :/

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hah, again we are still the same! The only difference is I'm buying it whether I'm broke or not. :P

Wildcat on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Bobo wrote: »
    Oh fuck yes.
    img4336yh7.th.jpg

Sorry about the shitty pics, but I am very tired and very excited about this toy and I don't have good light and fuck it, I am so tired.

whose head is that? until i saw the full thing, i thought the joker was gonna stab the shit out of commander riker's eyes

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like Iron Man.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited August 2008
    Custom Tony Stark head.

Bobo on
    edited September 2008
    image038rb9.th.jpg
    image037we9.th.jpg
    Apologies for the shitty pictures, but I finally got a suit for my Stark commission. Haven't put the neck post on him yet, so the head is kinda balancing on the torso for the (admittedly) shitty pictures. I didn't have my camera, so the phone pics will have to do for now.

I think this is the best 1/6 scale suit I've seen yet, and Stark looks great with the silver glasses.

Bobo on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got the Ghost Rider Mighty Mugg standing next to my Dr. Doom. So freaking awesome. Only complaint is the face and fire don't glow in the dark but still....pure awesome :D

Psychotic One on
    edited September 2008
    Here's the article I was looking for when talking about priming with Black gesso

http://www.weetoysoldiers.com/wp/?page_id=34

ManonvonSuperock on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Something about Marvel Mighty Muggs wave 5:

Marvel (wave 5) (December 2008)

No official photos out yet but the wave is announced and it’s another nice one (other than no Marvel women - hello?) … Tony Stark’s escape Iron Man Mk1 version, Skrull shape shifter, The Vision, Avengers’ Android and from the Ultimate stortyline and look - the “Ultimate” Captain America.

Vision and a Skrull could be cool... not sure about the Mk1 Iron Man armour and is it just me or wouldn't Ultimate Cap look very much like standard Cap?

From the Mighty Muggs Checklist. Great for looking at pictures of all the Muggs.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Must have a Daredevil Mighty Mugg.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got the Ghost Rider Mighty Mugg standing next to my Dr. Doom. So freaking awesome. Only complaint is the face and fire don't glow in the dark but still....pure awesome :D

Is there some kind of fluorescent paint you could use that wouldn't obscure the regular color? That would be neat!

JoeUser on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    if the top of the head is translucent, you could try drilling a hole in it and sticking an led up there. it's tough to tell from just pictures on the internet if the head would work for that though. (it kind of doesn't look like it)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Bobo on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Cost be damned to Hades I want that as a full sized suit I can wear!

Funny thing is I can't even afford it at it's current size. Still!

Caveman Paws on
    edited September 2008

Cost be damned to Hades I want that as a full sized suit I can wear!

Funny thing is I can't even afford it at it's current size. Still!

If I let not being able to afford things get in the way of my purchases I would not have 80% of the stuff I have.

Bobo on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm getting into HeroClix, but it seems like a costly game. Does anyone have any money saving tips? Do certain stores or sites have better deals? Is buying individual heroclix (or do I just call them clix) on eBay a ridiculous idea?

Lux on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just tend to buy a brick of the current set, and try to be happy with what I get.

If there is one or two pieces you want but are missing after that, try to find it cheap online or trade at your local store.

Sharp101 on
    edited September 2008
    200891313627393hv5.th.jpg

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Bobo on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    I'm getting into HeroClix, but it seems like a costly game. Does anyone have any money saving tips? Do certain stores or sites have better deals? Is buying individual heroclix (or do I just call them clix) on eBay a ridiculous idea?

eBay has a lot, or you can check at local gaming shops for individual figures

if you can find a group of people that play regularly, you could maybe get some trading done there

DJ Eebs on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone collect or have bought Shocker toys, Action figures or Shockinis?
    If so what do you think of the quality?

MAD! on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    200891313627393hv5.th.jpg

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

WAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTT

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

*Ehem* I do believe that will make a most exquisite addition to my growing family of collectable figures, mm yes very much. *sips tea*

Caveman Paws on
    edited September 2008
    MAD! wrote: »
    Does anyone collect or have bought Shocker toys, Action figures or Shockinis?
    If so what do you think of the quality?

If they actually produced any product I might. I have wanted their Scud for a while, but I have no idea if / when it's ever coming out. Their president guy is a dickhead, though and talks a lot of shit for someone that never produces any actual toys.

Bobo on
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Want one of those blank Mighty Muggs, would be a really cool thing to do airbrushing on

GreyHunter316 on
This discussion has been closed.