Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2006 [LOOK HERE]

• Options
    ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Anyway I can help make this baby happen? I doubt I'm the ONLY one way over in the east that's been wanting to go to this for the past few years. I must help my upper eastern geek brethren!!

Ziggo on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    If you guys are going ot caravan across the country for this you should see if some TV station will help sponsor it and send a camera crew along with you to document it.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    If you guys are going ot caravan across the country for this you should see if some TV station will help sponsor it and send a camera crew along with you to document it.

ceres on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2006
    i'll take some cheese. actually i've been discussing this with spook (who never makes an apperance on the forums, but if you were at PAX05, you might know him) and he's planning on buying a van between now and then, if things go well we're going to try for some sponsors and see what kind of cool custom craziness we can get going with the van, including (maybe) a wireless network broadcast (which will make wardiving that much easier as a whole) that will encompass as much of the convoy as possible. more to come, stay tuned east coasters (that's right i said coasters)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Ey, coasters is nothing, try saying "brethren" with a straight face.

Ziggo on
  • Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    i'll take some cheese. actually i've been discussing this with spook (who never makes an apperance on the forums, but if you were at PAX05, you might know him) and he's planning on buying a van between now and then, if things go well we're going to try for some sponsors and see what kind of cool custom craziness we can get going with the van, including (maybe) a wireless network broadcast (which will make wardiving that much easier as a whole) that will encompass as much of the convoy as possible. more to come, stay tuned east coasters (that's right i said coasters)

Make sure he doesn't buy junk. Srsly.

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

Make sure he doesn't buy junk. Srsly.

DUH!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    UPDATE, YO

I am currently working on getting a website and domain stylin' for the supertrip. So far we (we being me and Spook who are very dedicated to this, we are going to drive to PAX regardless of what happens with this) are calling it the Cross-Country Supertrip for several reasons: one (1) being that we are not the same people who were working on the Great American Supertrip and we also thought that it sounded a little too grand for what we're doing, second (2nd) we decided against the East Coast Supertrip because we are not travelling up or down the east coast, we are travelling across the country and finally, C (C) we decided against the North Coast Supertrip because the north coast only extends across the great lakes. As soon as the website is up and running I will link you guys with the info and I will begin the long arduous search for sponsorship. Minding also that this is a completely non-profit function (I know this should go without saying, but i still want to get it out there) anything recieved for this function will go towards its function and any money potentially recieved will go towards making it all the better. If possible, I would like to be able to send out kits with the bumper sticker and maybe even t-shirts (or at least iron on for black shirts with the logo to be ironed onto the back of PAX 06 shirts) to people. I'd like to do it for free, but if necessary we'll charge a small fee based on materials cost and shipping (in which case I would almost definately make t-shirts). But most of this is still contingiant. The marks on the map are not just drivers but all interested parties. I want everybody to know where everybody is coming from, and as things get closer to PAXtime, a more direct final path(s) will be drawn up and timed out. Also there is a group from Colorado interested in joining the supertrip, I'm considering a few ways we can incorporate them without any crazy detours. Well stay tuned and keep making your locations known so i can pin them on the map.

Also, a footnote, if anybody can change the topic of the thread to "Cross-Country Supertrip" that would be really awesome (unless there's some huge disagreement about the name, but i really hope everybody's cool with it)

[edit, yo:] Okay, apparently Spook has decided that he likes East Coast Supertrip better because he feels we need to represent, so what I'm going to do is start a poll (if I could I would just tack it onto this thread but that is impossible). So vote make our selection for us.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    If you plan on doing that I suggest that you arrive early. here are some thoughts. A lot of people show up days before PAX starts and hang out in Seatle , in and around Bellevue etc. Also once PAX starts no sleep will be had. You are going to want to stay up late for the concerts and then stay up later to hang out at the room parties. Then you are going to want to wake up early so you don't miss anything the next day.

So come early to hang out and even earlier to catch up on REAL sleep(car sleep doesn't count) and get cleaned up before you start mixing in with every one else. Just a thought.

Oh, definately, as it is as of today (the 21st of January) we're looking at getting there a good two days yearly to hang out and give us a buffer zone in case we start running late for whatever reasons (I'm sure we'll find more than a few)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    I'm in Omaha, but I'm broke this year. :cry:

Make sure you gas up before entering Nebraska.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    So, hey, I asked my dad about using his 15 passenger van, and he said he's cool with it. So, if I do end up going, which seems really likely right now, I can haul a bunch of people with me. So, there you go. I'm hoping I'll actually save some money by taking a lot of people in it.

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    El Whito wrote:
    So, hey, I asked my dad about using his 15 passenger van, and he said he's cool with it. So, if I do end up going, which seems really likely right now, I can haul a bunch of people with me. So, there you go. I'm hoping I'll actually save some money by taking a lot of people in it.

Sounds sweet, what are the specs:
    Year
    Make
    Model
    Milage
    Luggage Cap:
    Passenger Cap: 15
    Condition
    etc

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Year: 1988
    Make: Dodge
    Model: Ram Van, I think?
    Mileage: 160,000
    Luggage Cap: depends
    Condition: She can make it there and back, runs like a champ. It also looks really good, we bought it from San Diego and drove back with it. Well, he drove.

I put "depends" because with all the seats, there is zero room for anything but bodies. If I were to take the back seat out, there would be room aplenty for all kinds of stuff, probably around 60 cu. ft. or so. I think. I don't know cubes.

But then, if I took that seat out, the passenger level drops down to 12 or 13, but I don't think I'll be hauling anything more than like 10 people, since I don't have a CDL and it would be really tight. So who needs a ride? :D

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I need a ride.

the dough on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Been catching up on the thread here. I'm not a fan of the "hardcore" time table of driving straight through with no overnight stops. I've always subscribed to the school of "the trip there is half the fun." However, I understand that with a caravan of people that we can't stop to smell the flowers so to speak. What I'd like to see is something of a 12-16 hours per day schedule. On top of being easier on everyone during the actual drive, it would allow us to avoid picking up people at insane times (like 2AM). It'd also be nice to be able to socialize and kick back a little outside of using radios in the cars. My goal for this trip was to take a week or so to travel to PAX (and another week back) and enjoy the sights along the way. As long as this "super-trip" stays organized and keeps moving forward though I'll scrap that idea and sick with this.

I'm all for the bumper sticker/tshirt/spray painted bullseye idea. I'm willing to put money behind it too. If we pull this trip off it'll be huge, and I'm all for advertising it to the world. If y'all need some help with this end of it I'll be glad to help out however I can.

And just to add to the info pool. I have a 2000 Grand Am (2 door). My girlfriend may or may not come along (depends on if she can acquire the necessary cash monies). So that means I'll be able to take with me 1 or 2 people (not 3 because I want room for snacks and other goodies, drove to North Carolina back in 2004 with a case of Faygo and a box of granolia bars in the back seat :D ).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    El Whito wrote:
    Year: 1988
    Make: Dodge
    Model: Ram Van, I think?
    Mileage: 160,000
    Luggage Cap: depends
    Condition: She can make it there and back, runs like a champ. It also looks really good, we bought it from San Diego and drove back with it. Well, he drove.

I put "depends" because with all the seats, there is zero room for anything but bodies. If I were to take the back seat out, there would be room aplenty for all kinds of stuff, probably around 60 cu. ft. or so. I think. I don't know cubes.

But then, if I took that seat out, the passenger level drops down to 12 or 13, but I don't think I'll be hauling anything more than like 10 people, since I don't have a CDL and it would be really tight. So who needs a ride? :D
    yoshamano wrote:
    Been catching up on the thread here. I'm not a fan of the "hardcore" time table of driving straight through with no overnight stops. I've always subscribed to the school of "the trip there is half the fun." However, I understand that with a caravan of people that we can't stop to smell the flowers so to speak. What I'd like to see is something of a 12-16 hours per day schedule. On top of being easier on everyone during the actual drive, it would allow us to avoid picking up people at insane times (like 2AM). It'd also be nice to be able to socialize and kick back a little outside of using radios in the cars. My goal for this trip was to take a week or so to travel to PAX (and another week back) and enjoy the sights along the way. As long as this "super-trip" stays organized and keeps moving forward though I'll scrap that idea and sick with this.

I'm all for the bumper sticker/tshirt/spray painted bullseye idea. I'm willing to put money behind it too. If we pull this trip off it'll be huge, and I'm all for advertising it to the world. If y'all need some help with this end of it I'll be glad to help out however I can.

And just to add to the info pool. I have a 2000 Grand Am (2 door). My girlfriend may or may not come along (depends on if she can acquire the necessary cash monies). So that means I'll be able to take with me 1 or 2 people (not 3 because I want room for snacks and other goodies, drove to North Carolina back in 2004 with a case of Faygo and a box of granolia bars in the back seat :D ).

Well, we're attempting to relax the timetable a little, but we still don't want to deal with full overnight stops because of hotel costs, but brief stopovers for rest and such will happen. Also, El Whito, taking out the backseat would probably be the best idea, as luggage capacity is a must. As you said, you prolly won't end up with a full 15 load. Sidenote, also what kind of gas milage do you pull down with that thing?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    I think the best mileage you'd be able to get out of it would be around 10-12 mpg, and that's highway. I might be able to squeeze out 13 or 14, if I'm lucky. The point is, it's not that great.

El Whito on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    El Whito wrote:
    I think the best mileage you'd be able to get out of it would be around 10-12 mpg, and that's highway. I might be able to squeeze out 13 or 14, if I'm lucky. The point is, it's not that great.

Well clearly, it isn't, but with 12 people or so splitting gas it's not as bad as 4 people splitting 25 mpg. Also, just a side note, it's spelled "Loki" not "Locke"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Well, damn. I could've sworn it was Locke...

El Whito on
  • Options
    Beige ATMBeige ATM Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Hey guys, this is pretty much my first post, so hello everyone. I'm in the UK, but as I was thinking about holidaying in America this summer, I'd love to tag along with you guys on my way to PAX.
    El Whito, if you could find room for me in your Dodge, I'd be grateful enough to chip in more than my fair share for gas! :D
    I'd be starting out in NYC, but I could either catch a Greyhound to wherever you join the trip, or try and ride with someone else until that point.
    Of course, if no-one would be able to find any space I'd be happy to make my own way, but this just sounds like a great way to travel in style.

Either way, see you at PAX!
    Richard

Beige ATM on
    And if the music stops... there's only the sound of the rain
    All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain
    And if love remains, though everything is lost,
    We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost.

Rush - "Bravado"
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Sounds like a sweet plan. I'm hoping we have a driver coming from NYC for the trip. Looking at the current pinpoints on the map, enought people are close enough to Cleveland to make that a good convergence waypoint. With any luck, Spook should have his van before then, which should help things along. I'm hoping to garner more of a response when I get the website up to have a better idea of where people are coming from so I can eliminate some unecessary routes and reroute some for the best possible supertrip route possible.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    I'll be more than happy to pick anyone up who needs a ride between my location and Seattle, space permitting. Actually, far more than happy, because it means less money that I have to spend on gas. So, pile 'em in :) .

El Whito on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Where is your location?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Where is your location?

Me? I live in Clare, MI. It's directly in the middle of the lower peninsula. I'm bringing a friend, too, I think.

El Whito on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    aight, here's an updated map here, i'm going to start researching places we can stop and possibly use as waypoints, nothing permanent just some preliminaries

supertrip-pinpoint.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Here are some proposed preliminary waypoints. Everything at this point is subject to change, so don't take any of this to heart.

Edgewater State Park, Cleveland, OH - Those from the northeast can meet us here and we'll have some meat before we depart. It's a good idea to have a full stomach upon departure and it's right on the lake.

University Park Mall, 6501 Grape Rd. Mishawaka, IN 46545 - Two blocks away from a free wifi hotspot at Granger Community Church and is less than 30 miles west of the junction between I-90/80 and US Route 131 so it makes a good meeting point for our friends from Michigan. There's an EB in that mall we can all converge at to give us something to do while we wait (that is, unless we wish to meet at Granger Church and usurp their internet).

Valley West Mall, I-235 and Valley West Drive, Des Moines, IA - LogicLB is planning on meeting us in Des Moines and there's a Gamestop in this particular mall (also a food court for the hungry) Also, there's another WiFi hotspot at a Panera Bread less than two blocks from there.

Daily Grind-Barnum, 511 4th St. Sioux City, IA 51101 - A coffeeshop in Sioux City with free WiFi. A good meeting spot for any potentials coming on any routes from further south (see the map above). This point may not be necessary if we don't end up with people on that route. Also, if they do come on that route, we may eliminate the Des Moines waypoint and meet LogicLB here with any potentials coming from the southern route.

Subway, 1514 E 5th St. Sheridan, WY 82801 - It's not easy to find a mall or a WiFi hotspot in Wyoming, but this Subway is right off the highway and would make a good meeting point should triadfate and his crowd from Colorado decide to join our convoy.

Little Seattle Coffee Bar, 2310 N 4th St. Coeur D'Alene, ID 83814 - Free WiFi spot to pick up the dough and anybody he happens to drag along. There's Silverlake Mall nearby if we feel like harrassing some EB employees :P

Flying J Travel Plaza 2300 Canyon Road, Ellensburg, WA 98928 - Right off exit 109, they've got WiFi and food, two very important things. If Chouiji01 and his crew decide to join us for the last leg of the trip, we can meet them here at this travel plaza (trust me, these things are the bomb when you're travelling all crazy like we are). What's nice about these WiFi spots is we'll be able to keep people apprised of our progress while on the road. This will be the absolute last stop before PAX. They have gas at these things and it's only 103 miles from the Maydenbaur's doorstep (if you're vehicle gets less than 100 miles to the tank, I wouldn't recommend driving it on this trip).

So those are some proposed waypoints. If you are from one of these areas and have any information regarding perhaps a better waypoint or any necessary information on the area, let us know. The website should be secured and running within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be working with a subdomain until we have a final name. The poll will end next week, so if you haven't voted on a name, do so... NOW! http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211474

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    This might end up making up my mind for going this year. I don't really want to fly in case I end up with a bunch of swag, and I didn't feel like making the trip alone.

I'm in Kansas City just for reference.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    So, I made a horrible error.

I am still bringing the van, that's all cool, it's just that I looked it over today and realized it was, indeed, only a ten passenger, as opposed to the fifteen passenger I originally specified.

It doesn't really change much, except for the number of people I can carry with me. Also, I think I could take the front seat out instead of the back, because the back actually has more legroom and has 4 seats, or space for three to sit comfortably. I'm not sure if there would be enough luggage space though, because some passengers could put their stuff under the seats, where there is ample space.

So, front or back seat out? I can't decide.

El Whito on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    El Whito wrote:
    So, I made a horrible error.

I am still bringing the van, that's all cool, it's just that I looked it over today and realized it was, indeed, only a ten passenger, as opposed to the fifteen passenger I originally specified.

It doesn't really change much, except for the number of people I can carry with me. Also, I think I could take the front seat out instead of the back, because the back actually has more legroom and has 4 seats, or space for three to sit comfortably. I'm not sure if there would be enough luggage space though, because some passengers could put their stuff under the seats, where there is ample space.

So, front or back seat out? I can't decide.

I take it there's no luggage space up top (like a luggage rack). Is there any space behind the back seat or does it butt up against the back of the van. If it's the type I'm thinking of, I would say take the rear seat out and if there's room after luggage, you can always modify something back there for somebody to sit on (even if there is only room for one or two after luggage.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    I'll be traveling by caravan.

076113076.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    from whence comes ye?
    (does that even make sense... no Borface, that's not a question for you)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2006
    We've got three people definitely coming out of Moline, with possibly three more, depending on if I can get a hold of them. The whole area is right off of I-80. We could probably set up a waypoint here. And every rest area I've been to in Iowa, at least those right outside of town, is a wi-fi hotspot.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Yeah, there's no luggage rack, and no space in the back with the seat there. So, I guess I'll just take the back one out.

El Whito on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    No car as of the moment for Ziggy :cry: BUT! I can drive! ...as long as I have pretty specific instructions on where to go, or else I'll end up driving in a straight line all the way to a Cali beach. And I don't know about you guys, but I don't tan, I burn!

Ziggo on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    University Park Mall, 6501 Grape Rd. Mishawaka, IN 46545 - Two blocks away from a free wifi hotspot at Granger Community Church and is less than 30 miles west of the junction between I-90/80 and US Route 131 so it makes a good meeting point for our friends from Michigan. There's an EB in that mall we can all converge at to give us something to do while we wait (that is, unless we wish to meet at Granger Church and usurp their internet).

According to Yahoo!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone Maps that looks real easy to get to (and I don't even have to use that convoluted "Easy" button Staples keeps trying to sell me). All this talk of WiFi means I'll have to try to get NetStumbler working on my MobilePro 770. Yay for war driving across America.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    Just wondering if anybody's gonna be around Appleton, Wisconsin for this trip, if so that'd be GREAT if I could get a ride. It may seem weird for me to just join a board and ask for you to do this, who have no idea who I am, so feel free to message me if you're cool with it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Well that settles it.

I have to go now, I just bought a new camera.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    I think the subtext for this supertrip is going to be Wardriving Across America. As of right now, the poll is favoring Cross-Country Supertrip, but we have until Saturday (January 28th) until it expires so that may still change. We've got 8 votes for Cross-Country, 4 for East Coast (although one person posted he voted for east coast but meant cross-country, but we'll still look at the official numbers on the poll when making the decision) and 6 for Great American. If you haven't voted yet and you want to go remember there's only a few days left before we finalize the name. But, as I said before on all shirts/stickers and anything else, we will subtext with "Wardriving Across America." I am also going to research some travel plazas for gas stops that have WiFi. I'm probably going to schedule gas stops for once every 300 miles or so, I'll have a better idea once I know how much gas each car holds and what kind of milage it gets. I doubt any vehicle is going to get less than 300 miles to a tank on an all-highway trip. Also, keep in mind, that if your car gets, say for example, 25 mpg mixed city to highway, you may end up with around 30-35 on an all-highway trip, but to be safe we're not going to estimate too much higher than your mixed milage. But, when I drove from here (Cleveland, OH) to Orange County, CA in a 1995 Ford Contour, (which had an average city/highway milage of 30mpg) I got about 42mpg and an average of 450-500 miles per tank. As soon as I get the site up and running (which should be very soon) I plan on having a listing of who has what vehicles with information much in the same format as the West Coast Supertrip site. So stay tuned, yo

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Desaluta wrote:
    Just wondering if anybody's gonna be around Appleton, Wisconsin for this trip, if so that'd be GREAT if I could get a ride. It may seem weird for me to just join a board and ask for you to do this, who have no idea who I am, so feel free to message me if you're cool with it.

As you can see here
    appleton.jpg
    Appleton, WI is around 200 miles or so away from the route, so if there's anybody from that northernly region with a vehicle, we can add a waypoint in or use and existing one to meet up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    It's good to see the GAST/ECST/CCST is in good hands now, ever since it slipped out of my butterfingers. Speaking of which, I'm currently working on a way to get out there so I can be part of the action. Probably far too prohibitively expensive (something like $500 gas each way?) to be possible, but it'd rock.

de4dmeta1 on
This discussion has been closed.