Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2006 [LOOK HERE]

• Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Cynni said I should post my car info. We are looking for one more passanger to share the gas cost out there. We're willing to backtrack as far as Cleveland to pick up someone. I get about 27mpg in my 2000 Grand Am which has a 13 gallon tank. As far as gas costs go, I'm an expensive date because I put Shell V-Power in it. If possible, it would be nice if we could stop at or near Shell stations, but that would just be a niceity.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2006
    What's the miles per gallon on that thing. Also, what gas stations we hit really depend on where we are when we stop, I wouldn't count on hitting a shell every time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    What's the miles per gallon on that thing. Also, what gas stations we hit really depend on where we are when we stop, I wouldn't count on hitting a shell every time.
    yoshamano wrote:
    I get about 27mpg in my 2000 Grand Am which has a 13 gallon tank.

And you're the one in charge of this event? I'll feel safer on the plane :D

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    yoshamano wrote:
    I get about 27mpg in my 2000 Grand Am which has a 13 gallon tank.

And you're the one in charge of this event? I'll feel safer on the plane :D

Haha, I didn't see that there. Thanks for pointing it out, as for the plane, yeah enjoy that. We'll be kickin' it on the open road and eating lunch at Mt. Rushmore. I don't think anybody is looking forward to this more than I am.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    Look at me Im pretty now ..yay..haha

finally got my account refixed. sex0r me at your best possible leisure. :twisted:

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    slideruler wrote:
    Look at me Im pretty now ..yay..haha

finally got my account refixed. sex0r me at your best possible leisure. :twisted:

What's your schedule like?

My weekends are open, and so am I.

:winky:

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I've had a few people ask me what kind of money they would need for this trip, so I came up with a formula and ctishman put it into english and reduced the number of steps. So here it is.

Okay, here's how to find out the total price per passenger, of riding in your car. I suggest printing this sheet out and jotting the numbers down in the spaces provided.

First, let's go get some data.

Go to http://maps.google.com and calculate the distance between wherever you are and Bellevue,WA (check www.pennyarcadeexpo.com for the exact address to the Meydenbauer). Now double it to get the round-trip distance.
    You're driving __________ Miles, total.

Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm and find the year, manufacturer and model of your car. They have figures going back to 1985. From these numbers, get your car's highway mileage per gallon (because that's where you're going to be driving), then subtract one mile-per-gallon for every five years old your car is, rounding down.
    Your adjusted fuel economy is __________ MPG.

Go to http://www.gaspricewatch.com and grab the U.S. Average price. If you're driving any significant portion of your trip through California, add five cents per gallon to that figure. If your engine requires premium gas, add twenty more cents per gallon.
    Last I checked, gas cost $__________ per gallon, on average.

Okay, that takes care of raw data collection. Now let's mash those numbers into something useful.

Take the round-trip distance and divide it by your adjusted fuel economy to get the amount of gas you'll use on the trip.
    Your fuel usage is __________ gallons.

Multiply your fuel usage by the adjusted average gas price you found to get the fuel cost for the trip.
    Your fuel cost is $__________

Take your fuel cost, and divide it by the number of people riding in your car. Don't forget to count yourself! Thus, we are given:
    The cost to ride in your car is $__________ per person.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Alternate, and more personal, method to ascertain your MPG:

Fill your tank with gas, and copy down your mileage.

Drive long enough to use a good amount of fuel (more the better; helps to get a more accurate estimate).

Fill up your tank again, and mark down how many gallons you were able to put into your car, as well as your current mileage.

Get a calculator and do the following:
    Subtract your previous mileage from your current mileage to get the number of miles driven between fuel stops.
    Divide the miles driven by the amount of gallons put into your car.

Congratulations, that's your MPG.

Example: 15000 miles driven at 1st fillup, 15162 at 2nd fillup.
    15162 - 15000 = 162.
    10.71 gallons of gas pumped into your car at 2nd fillup.
    162 / 10.71 = 15.12.... or ~15 miles per gallon.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:

Drive long enough to use a good amount of fuel (more the better; helps to get a more accurate estimate).

Fill up your tank again, and mark down how many gallons you were able to put into your car, as well as your current mileage.

Subtract your previous mileage from your current mileage to get the number of miles driven between fuel stops.

15162 - 15000 = 162.

I kept a log of this for a long time when I first got the car I drive now. I recommend doing this at least a few times to get a good average as mileage may vary according to driving conditions and a few other factors, such as variations in how much you actually add to your tank to fill it back up. THe first few you get should give you a very good idea, and it doesn't take more than four or five tanks that will give you a pretty damned accurate idea of what you are looking at.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:

15162 - 15000 = 162.

Wait, wait... What car in existance goes 15,000 miles on one fillup? I get like 300 miles to the tank, not 15,000. So, uh, yeah.
    [edit: wait I see it now. In that case, why are you not using your trip odometer? That's a pretty inefficient way to keep track of miles driven per tank]

On another note, there is another CCST meeting in the #paforums_pax channel on slashnet (irc.slashnet.org:6667) at 6pm EDT, 3pm PDT. Please attend and ask any questions you might have.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    I was implying that 15000 was your mileage.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    But, why not use your trip odometer? I always reset it when I fill up (I got the habit from having car after car with inaccurate gas gauges).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    But, why not use your trip odometer? I always reset it when I fill up (I got the habit from having car after car with inaccurate gas gauges).

Because not everyone has one, so I'm giving more universal advice.

You just can't subtract. That's it, isn't it? :wink:

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    CynderCynCynderCyn MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hello ladies and gents,
    Yoshamano and I are still on the search for a passenger for the supertrip. We live in Southwest Michigan so if you are anywhere around here that would work nicely as far as evenly splitting gas cost. However, if you happen to be a person in a state along the route, we can work something out as well.

Email leiasolo@gmail.com for more details.

EDIT: We may have our passenger problem figured out after all..I'll repost if this changes.

CynderCyn on
    "Inflatable objects are dumb unless they are your girlfriend or a funhouse"
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hey yall, I'm doing this fro a friend of mine who lives about 10 min. outside of charloit NC. He's looking for anybody passing by/through that way to give him and his GF a ride. He's more that willing to split the cost of gas and if need be help spring for a rental van or large suv. To contact him directily and get some info from him his ph# is (704) 718-7417. If you need my help in some way shape or form call me at (425) 681-6635 or email me at Mastervandar@gmail.com. Thanks to anyone who can help him out, you'd be doing him and me a huge favor.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Hey all,
    We've got three new Cross-Country Supertrip shirts and a host of other new shirts (including many new Rocky for President garb) over at our store at http://www.cafepress.com/waaswag
    Swing by and take a look. Also, our website at www.ccsupertrip.org is back up and running. Stay tuned for updates.

...8 DAYS W00T!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    I haven't been able to talk about this in a long time - busy with game development - but I hope nobody is coming to try and pick me up (i looked on the site and saw my name in the middle of Iowa, which is about 500 miles off anyway)

Just going to warn you to avoid filling up while in Nebraska - gas is currently 2.90$ for unleaded, $3.05 for premium.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    FyreWulff wrote:
    I haven't been able to talk about this in a long time - busy with game development - but I hope nobody is coming to try and pick me up (i looked on the site and saw my name in the middle of Iowa, which is about 500 miles off anyway)

Just going to warn you to avoid filling up while in Nebraska - gas is currently 2.90$ for unleaded, $3.05 for premium.

That map is a little dated, the current specs are in the google earth KMZ file.
    http://www.ccsupertrip.org/ccst.kmz
    We're not even going through Nebraska, as we cut north to South Dakota on the western border of Iowa.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Anyone around WV/PA/VA going?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Grimblade2401Grimblade2401 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Update on my status:

I have so far been unsuccessful in finding a ride. This, however, does not in any way mean that I am considering not coming. :D If I need to, I'll drive the whole distance myself! :shock: Anyway, I'm coming from Colorado Springs, so if anyone wants a ride with me (2 passengers max), or if someone has room for me and has just been keeping quiet all this time, give me a PM or email me at grimblade2401 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Also, since I have finally given up on getting my friends to come with me, I have a 2 queen bed room at the Doubletree that is currently empty (aside from me of course). I figured I'd open it up to the Supertrippers before braving the Room-Share Thread. If you want in, shoot me off an email or PM.

Less than a week till the supertrip starts! w00t! \m/ ^_^ \m/

Grimblade2401 on
    Stop reading my signature or I'll eat your brain.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Update on my status:

I have so far been unsuccessful in finding a ride. This, however, does not in any way mean that I am considering not coming. :D If I need to, I'll drive the whole distance myself! :shock: Anyway, I'm coming from Colorado Springs, so if anyone wants a ride with me (2 passengers max), or if someone has room for me and has just been keeping quiet all this time, give me a PM or email me at grimblade2401 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Also, since I have finally given up on getting my friends to come with me, I have a 2 queen bed room at the Doubletree that is currently empty (aside from me of course). I figured I'd open it up to the Supertrippers before braving the Room-Share Thread. If you want in, shoot me off an email or PM.

Less than a week till the supertrip starts! w00t! \m/ ^_^ \m/

I don't know if you driving yourself all that way is such a good idea. I mean, you're talking about over 20 hours of driving with very little time to rest. I highly, highly, highly urge you to have a second driver. Also, if you are indeed going, I'll need your cell number for the contact list I'll be sending out either tonight or tomorrow. You can send it to moe.fwacky@gmail.com

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    I would be more than happy to have a passenger who could help out with some of the driving. If you want to come with me, please let me know, my email address is in my previous post. I'll only solo it if I can't find anyone.

Grimblade2401 on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION HERE!

Okay, I'm having some issues updating the site, so I'm going to post the updated schedule here. Pay attention because there have been some changes. I also e-mailed out the updated schedule and Google Earth kmz file to the people who's e-mail addresses I have (which should be all of you). If you didn't get the mail, shoot me a message at moe.fwacky@gmail.com

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
    Leg 1: Hoboken, NJ to Philadelpia, PA
    Depart Hoboken: 8/21 15:00 EDT
    Travel 2 hours, 95 miles
    MsoNormal>Arrive Philadelphia: 8/21 17:00 EDT
    Downtime: 1 hours
    Depart Philadelphia: 8/21 19:00 EDT

Leg 2: Philadelpia, PA to Cleveland, OH
    Depart Philadelphia: 8/21 19:00 EDT
    Travel 7 hours, 452 miles
    Arrive Cleveland: 8/22 02:00 EDT
    Downtime: 13 hours
    Depart Cleveland: 8/22 15:00 EDT
    Cleveland, OH Waypoint: Edgewater State Park, Cleveland, OH

Leg 3: Cleveland, OH to Mishawaka, IN
    Depart Cleveland: 8/22 15:00 EDT
    Travel 4 hours, 246 miles
    Arrive Mishawaka: 8/22 18:00 CDT
    Downtime: 2 hours
    Depart Mishawaka: 8/22 20:00 CDT
    Mishawaka, IN Waypoint: University Park Mall, 6501 Grape Rd, Mishawaka, IN 46545

Leg 4: Mishawaka, IN to Altoona, IA
    Depart Mishawaka: 8/22 20:00 CDT
    Travel 6.5 hours, 404 miles
    Arrive Altoona: 8/23 02:30 CDT
    Depart Altoona: 8/23 04:30 CDT
    Altoona, IA Waypoint: Bosselman Travel Center, 3231 Adventureland Dr. Altoona, IA 50009

Leg 5: Altoona, IA to Mt. Rushmore, SD
    Depart Altoona: 8/23 04:30 CDT
    Travel 10 hours, 658 miles
    Arrive Mt. Rushmore: 8/23 14:30 MDT
    Downtime: 4 hours
    Depart Mt. Rushmore: 8/23 18:30 MDT
    Mt. Rushmore Waypoint: Mt. Rushmore National Park, SD

Leg 6: Mt. Rushmore, SD to Couer D'Alene, ID
    Travel 16 hours (includes 3.5 hours for unscheduled downtime), 904 miles
    Arrive Couer D'Alene: 8/24 09:30 PDT
    Depart Couer D'Alene: 8/24 11:30 PDT
    Couer D'Alene, ID Waypoint: Little Seattle Coffee Bar, 2310 N 4th St. Coeur D Alene, ID 83814

Leg 7: Couer D'Alene, ID to Ellensburg, WA
    Travel 3 hours, 202 miles
    Arrive Ellensburg: 8/24 14:30 PDT
    Downtime: 1 hour
    Depart Ellensburg: 8/24 15:30 PDT
    Ellensburg, WA Waypoint: Flying J's Travel Plaza, 2300 Canyon Rd. Ellensburg, WA 98926

Leg 8: Ellensburg, WA to Bellevue, WA</p>
    We will do a victory lap around the center and stop if there is anybody to stop for. Depending on the time, we will then either go to our respective hotels or to the Pre-PAX dinner at Las Margaritas 437 108th Ave NE , Bellevue, WA.</p>
    Depart Ellensburg: 8/24 15:30 PDT</p>
    Travel 90 minutes, 103 miles</p>
    Arrive Bellevue: 8/24 17:00 PDT</p>
    Meydenbauer Center: 11100 NE 6th Street, Bellevue, WA 98004

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Leg 6: Mt. Rushmore, SD to Couer D'Alene, ID
    Travel 16 hours (includes 3.5 hours for unscheduled downtime), 904 miles
    Arrive Couer D'Alene: 8/24 09:30 PDT
    Couer D'Alene, ID Waypoint: Little Seattle Coffee Bar, 2310 N 4th St. Coeur D Alene, ID 83814
    Leaving Mt Rushmore at 6:30pm? I get off work 4:00pm, so I should be able to swing by to cheer you guys on or something something. I'm shooting you an email with details, moe.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Good luck lads! Stay awake and we'll see you Thursday.
    DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    CCST PROGRESS UPDATE

As many of you may know, slideruler and his crew left from New Jersey this afternoon and will be arriving in Cleveland tonight. They had a flat tire earlier and are currently having a new tire put on. They are only about an hour to 90 minutes behind schedule (thanks to them leaving an hour ahead of schedule) and will be back on the road within the next half hour. The cause of the flat was a bolt in the road. Fortunately, the further west and away from major cities that you get, the cleaner the roads are, so I do not expect this to happen further on in the trip. But also remember to expect the unexpected and don't get discouraged (at least two of us have AAA memberships and mine's gold membership). More to come later (how much later, I dunno, we'll feel it out).

Further Update

As of 17:50 EDT they're back on the road and all is well.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Fortunately, the further west and away from New Jersey that you get, the cleaner everything is, so I do not expect this to happen further on in the trip.

FYP

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2006
    Please keep us updated. I love watching these threads every year.

You guys are fucking nuts, and I absolutely respect and adore your devotion.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    john_zoidbergjohn_zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    You guys are awesome. I'm regularly checking to see what's going on with the CCST. Man, you are some devoted muh' fuckuhz. Good luck, and have fun. We'll see you in a few days.

john_zoidberg on
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    STATUS UPDATE

The GMC Jimmy known as Lucky Sue coming from New Jersey has just entered Ohio.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    ARRIVAL UPDATE!

Lucky Sue has arrived 3am EDT in Cleveland.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Cool beans.

I can't wait for when I leave. That reminds me, I should probably start packing at some point...

Grimblade2401 on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh crap.... Packing... that's what I forgot to do...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Haha, man, I haven't packed a goddamn thing, and my flight's tomorrow morning.

Good thing all I'm bringing is clothes, Apples to Apples, and my poker chips/cards.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    CynderCynCynderCyn MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I eagerly await to see if anyone actually tossed their stuff in a trashbag to bring along. :) See you all in a few hours (maybe a day depending on where in the country you are)

CynderCyn on
    "Inflatable objects are dumb unless they are your girlfriend or a funhouse"
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    UPDATE

The Toyota known as T2K is T-minus 2 hours from departure. All crewmembers are ready for boarding for it's 51 hour journey cross country.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    UPDATE

Lucky Sue and Deep Diver are prepping for departure from Cleveland, OH. We'll be departing in about an hour and a half. See you all from the road!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Good luck :D

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    status update.

we are in iowa. its fucking iowa.

warddrive is rough, almost no internet out in this area. the crew has resulted in eating their stache....mustache that is.

its been a long night....day. do you want the stache on or off?

"off"

TOO BAD !!!

PAX or Bust

p.s. the mormons took all our women

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    UPDATE FANTASTIC

Indeed we are in Altoona, IA leeching off of the Bosselman Travel Center's wireless. We're about an hour behind schedule and will be leaving here at 5:30 CDT instead of the originally scheduled 4:30. We'll make up the time within the next leg and a half, so all is well. I'm am finally out from behind the wheel after 15 hours of good times. Next update... whenever, I doubt Mt. Rushmore has wireless interweb.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.