As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Totally Badass Speeches That Rock You

• bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    i don't really know enough about thatcher, or indeed really care enough, to know whether she was the best or the worst thing ever

She did the right thing in the Falklands.

For that, I would forgive anything.

i guess

i mean i have family in the falklands

but at the same time it's like a lump of rock on like the other side of the world

But those are our people.

i guess it is up to the people who live there

but still, seems kind of mindlessly patriotic to me

bongi on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Another good Reagan quote:

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. "

My favorite:
    My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.

Doc on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Another good Reagan quote:

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. "
    That's a pretty good quote.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't really know enough about thatcher, or indeed really care enough, to know whether she was the best or the worst thing ever

i guess

but at the same time it's like a lump of rock on like the other side of the world

Yes, but it was our lump of rock on the other side of the world, and at that time constituted a large percentage of the British Empire, not to mention probably the largest piece of it.

skinny87 on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Actually I seem to remember a fair amount of Democrats come out after Reagan's death and more or less admit that Reagan was right about the Soviet Union and they were wrong.
    because being anti-reagan makes you pro soviet union, apparently

Stop being an idiot, teefs. If you know so much about Reagan's presidency you'd know that's not where I was going with that.

Reagan was criticized openly by many for taking a no tolerance stance when dealing with the Soviet Union. Years later a few of these critics admitted they were wrong. That should count for something.

Also, you yourself stated that the left agrees he was satan. I countered with a point that many on the left saw merit in his foreign policy on a particular issue.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    skinny87 wrote: »

i guess

Yes, but it was our lump of rock on the other side of the world, and at that time constituted a large percentage of the British Empire, not to mention probably the largest piece of it.

but we spent a good deal of the century deconstructing our empire

talk about mixed signals

bongi on
    edited February 2008
    I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!

skinny87 on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    You can have good foreign policy and still suck a dick domestically. So many homeless people.

Doc on
    edited February 2008
    Actually I seem to remember a fair amount of Democrats come out after Reagan's death and more or less admit that Reagan was right about the Soviet Union and they were wrong.
    because being anti-reagan makes you pro soviet union, apparently

Stop being an idiot, teefs. If you know so much about Reagan's presidency you'd know that's not where I was going with that.

Reagan was criticized openly by many for taking a no tolerance stance when dealing with the Soviet Union. Years later a few of these critics admitted they were wrong. That should count for something.

Also, you yourself stated that the left agrees he was satan. I countered with a point that many on the left saw merit in his foreign policy on a particular issue.
    well satan keeps hell running and i guess that's an admirable aspect of him, sure

You really should take more time to educate yourself on that which you criticize so much. You wont appear as dense as you do right now.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, let's get back to the speeches:
    Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.
    Westley: No. To the pain.
    Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
    Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
    Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
    Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
    Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
    Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
    Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.
    Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
    Prince Humperdinck: I think your bluffing.
    Westley: It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.
    [slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]
    Westley: DROP... YOUR... SWORD!

Quoth on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't know if it counts but sagan's 'pale blue dot' is pretty awesome

bongi on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well satan keeps hell running and i guess that's an admirable aspect of him, sure

Teefs, remember what I said about Hippie Liberal Faggot?

This is one of those times.

sarukun on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    Guys, let's get back to the speeches:
    Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.
    Westley: No. To the pain.
    Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
    Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
    Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
    Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
    Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
    Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
    Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.
    Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
    Prince Humperdinck: I think your bluffing.
    Westley: It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.
    [slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]
    Westley: DROP... YOUR... SWORD!

Gof this movie.

sarukun on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't know if it counts but sagan's 'pale blue dot' is pretty awesome

You bet your fucking ass it counts.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    sarukun wrote: »

Intentional density is a bitch.

Butters on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery — even if mixed with fear — that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man.

Aretè on
    edited February 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    You can have good foreign policy and still suck a dick domestically. So many homeless people.

Good thing Clinton came in and nipped that problem in the bud.

Butters on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    sarukun wrote: »

i am all three of those though so what do you expect

also man are you actually one of those people that uses liberal as an insult

i mean really now ann coulter does that

Teefs, how are you posting without that little dot going orange?

I demand you reveal your liberal magic!

skinny87 on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ugh why must we insert retarded statements in this thread it is about awesome speeches not about shitty generalized foaming statements

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shut up liberal

don't take lady coulter's name in vain

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Iago, from Othello:
    Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands:
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed.

Quoth on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Projeck on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Projeck wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Man, we already covered Ron Paul.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    shut up liberal

don't take lady coulter's name in vain

Can we take it in other, more suggestive, ways?

skinny87 on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hakoda's Black Sun speech and Li and Lo's "Fall of Ba Sing Se" speech were both pretty dandy.

Jake Berenson had a pretty good one about winning the war in Animorph #53.

The "This team is perfect" speech from Remember the Titans was great, and I'm sure there's another good one in that movie.

Also, I will always love the Gettysburg Address. It's like poetry.

Jimothy on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bruce Sterling, a sci-fi writer:
    You don't get there by acculturating. Don't become a
    well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and
    dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from
    every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish.
    If you want to woo the muse of the odd, don't read
    Shakespeare. Read Webster's revenge plays. Don't read
    Homer and Aristotle. Read Herodotus where he's off
    talking about Egyptian women having public sex with goats.
    If you want to read about myth don't read Joseph Campbell,
    read about convulsive religion, read about voodoo and the
    Millerites and the Munster Anabaptists. There are
    hundreds of years of extremities, there are vast legacies
    of mutants. There have always been geeks. There will
    always be geeks. Become the apotheosis of geek. Learn
    who your spiritual ancestors were. You didn't come here
    from nowhere. There are reasons why you're here. Learn
    those reasons. Learn about the stuff that was buried
    because it was too experimental or embarrassing or
    inexplicable or uncomfortable or dangerous.

Silvoculous on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ann Coulter frightens me.

Seriously on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »
    The "This team is perfect" speech from Remember the Titans was great, and I'm sure there's another good one in that movie.
    That movie is so wierd.

I freaking hate football and everything to do with it, yet that movie never fails to have me completely captivated.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    has this is sparta been mentioned yet

because this

is

SPAAAARTAAAAAA

its short but sweet and to the point

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited February 2008
    People are going to hate me if I continue to post Washington's farewell address.

So instead, here's what a couple people standing in the mud in front of the just finished Capital Building got to hear at Lincoln's second inaugural:
    My fellow countrymen,

AT this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement somewhat in detail of a course to be pursued seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented. The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in regard to it is ventured.

On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, urgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war—seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

NotASenator on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was waiting for someone to come in here and use that one. Grumbles.

Although I did like the ones in Beowulf.

"I am the teeth in the Darkness, the talons in the Night. I. AM. BEOWULF!"

EDIT: In reference to Sparta thingy

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »
    That movie is so wierd.

I freaking hate football and everything to do with it, yet that movie never fails to have me completely captivated.

TC Williams is like five minutes from my house, so it's weird watching the movie.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    has this is sparta been mentioned yet

because this

is

SPAAAARTAAAAAA

no, and there was a reason

Silvoculous on