Options

The Classical Music Thread

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I ended up getting more Gilels. Thanks for the info, though.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Anyone got an opinion on Richard Goode, specifically his Waldenstein and Appassionata? Seems pretty good to me, but I'm pretty shitty at evaluating piano skills. All I can really do is stringed talent.

Have you heard Sviatoslav Richter in the Appassionata?

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    On a radio with bad reception, so no - not really.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    On a radio with bad reception, so no - not really.

It is excellent. The finale is fiendish.

Cheap, too.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Cool, I check into that.

So I just finished reorganizing me Beethoven on iTunes after buying a couple of albums. Exactly 2 gigs, really lacking in early stuff and 90-123, but more importantly - I realized I do not own a copy of Missa Solemnis!

D:

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    So, songs.

Not just songs, song songs. I have a decent amount of Schubert and nearly all of Mahler's. A few other composers (Berlioz, Mussorgsky, Berg).

Who to look into next? Schumann? Wolf?

Edit: On a related note, Mussorgsky's Songs and Dances of Death are excellent. I particularly love the Trepak. Amazingly creepy.

Oh man, songs?

Schumann and Wolf are both fantastic. Dichterliebe and Liederkreis are two great cycles to get a start with him. For Wolf, I like his Goethe and Italian Lieder.

For English stuff, Copland wrote some sick songs. Check out his "12 poems of Emily Dickinson." This isn't your Rodeo Copland. Butterworth's "A Shropshire Lad," Britten's Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings, and Barber's "Hermit Songs" and "Sure on this Shining Night" are all great. Ned Rorem too.

Also, there's this guy who's really big in Russia today, Georgy Sviridov. His songs are a bit difficult to get a hold of right now, cause he's still alive and all that, but it's totally worth it. He writes like a Romantic composer with just the right balance of modern sensibilities.

Erlking on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Have you guys listened to Schubert's Death and the Maiden?

Holy crap, that piece is amazing.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Erlking wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    So, songs.

Not just songs, song songs. I have a decent amount of Schubert and nearly all of Mahler's. A few other composers (Berlioz, Mussorgsky, Berg).

Who to look into next? Schumann? Wolf?

Edit: On a related note, Mussorgsky's Songs and Dances of Death are excellent. I particularly love the Trepak. Amazingly creepy.

Oh man, songs?

Schumann and Wolf are both fantastic. Dichterliebe and Liederkreis are two great cycles to get a start with him. For Wolf, I like his Goethe and Italian Lieder.

For English stuff, Copland wrote some sick songs. Check out his "12 poems of Emily Dickinson." This isn't your Rodeo Copland. Butterworth's "A Shropshire Lad," Britten's Serenade for Tenor Horn and Strings, and Barber's "Hermit Songs" and "Sure on this Shining Night" are all great. Ned Rorem too.

Also, there's this guy who's really big in Russia today, Georgy Sviridov. His songs are a bit difficult to get a hold of right now, cause he's still alive and all that, but it's totally worth it. He writes like a Romantic composer with just the right balance of modern sensibilities.

Neat. I'll see if I can preview some of this on Naxos' website.

Elendil on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Does anybody know the composition date on Boëllmann's Suite Gothique? Wikipedia and the pages it linked were no help.

Also, Erlking, do you know of any place online that has the entirety of 12 Poems of Emily Dickinson? Classiccat only has one of the parts.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    KraliasKralias Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dug around for a bit, Google returned an Answers.com page on it which claimed it was composed in 1895.

http://www.answers.com/topic/suite-gothique-for-organ-op-25

Also, Death and the Maiden is indeed great. Schubert's two string quartets before that, No. 12 and No. 13, are magnificent as well. Not as familiar with No. 15.

Kralias on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto today reminded me why I love classical music. I need to stop getting out of it for weeks at a time.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Listening to Beethoven's Violin Concerto today reminded me why I love classical music. I need to stop getting out of it for weeks at a time.

Listening to the 10th String Quartet, no matter what music I'm listening too, always brings me back to classical.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:

I'm starting to think the Serenade is a bit better. Either way, these two songs are goddamn amazing.

I don't know whether to thank Mussorgsky or Shostakovich.

Elendil on
  • Options
    NapoleonNapoleon Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Napoleon on
    Napoleon+1796.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Oh my god

The first movement of the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto is incredible

It is so epic

I listened to it today for the first time in a while and it absolutely blew my mind. Even though I've listened to it like 40 times and participated in a performance of the piece less than a year ago.

The rest of it is pretty good, but does not compare to the sheer amazingness of the first movement. The first 2 minutes of it are the most epic thing I have ever heard. Especially with Vladimir Horowitz.

It is an epic musical odyssey.

Now I need to listen to it. Right now.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Tchaikovsky piano concerto: Why aren't you listening to it right now?

Because Tchaikovsky is no Haydn ;)
    I am honestly convinced this is the most powerful single movement I've ever heard.

Get this man the prelude to Tristan und Isolde, STAT!
    Coincidentally, I listened to that the same day. Admitedly I didn't listen that closely, but it did not compare in my mind. I listen to it again, but have you listened to this concerto?

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

I am honestly convinced this is the most powerful single movement I've ever heard.

Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde, Der Abschied. :wink:

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

Get this man the prelude to Tristan und Isolde, STAT!
    Coincidentally, I listened to that the same day. Admitedly I didn't listen that closely, but it did not compare in my mind. I listen to it again, but have you listened to this concerto?

Not close enough, no. But I have listened to Tchaikovsky's later symphonies a great deal. I used to love Tchaikivsky, but now they sound so formless, like getting an emotional response was the only important thing, no matter how he got it. Emotion can dim and callous, which leaves the musical structure itself to stand up on it's own. Needless to say, Tchaikovsky never did it for me after a few listens once I listened to guys like Mozart or Stravinsky.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Sweet Christ, it's 1 AM and now I want to listen to the entire Das Lied.

D:

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Tonight I bought two Schumann song cycles: Dichterliebe and Liederkreis. I won't be able to hear them until tomorrow night, though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Haydn - Cello Concerto in D, op.101

Pretty fucking awesome

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Listening to Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex right now. I never quite can figure out what to make of it.

It has a shit-ton of absolutely gorgeous, awesome moments, yet doesn't really seem to hang together well. It's so odd.

Edit: Yeah, there are at least eight parts I'd classify as "fucking amazing" and several of them are entire arias.

Jesus.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Listening to Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex right now. I never quite can figure out what to make of it.

It has a shit-ton of absolutely gorgeous, awesome moments, yet doesn't really seem to hang together well. It's so odd.

Edit: Yeah, there are at least eight parts I'd classify as "fucking amazing" and several of them are entire arias.

Jesus.

It's because it's in English. Opera just sounds quirky in English.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Jesus.

Oedipus is in Latin. You're thinking of Rake's Progress.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Jesus.

Oedipus is in Latin. You're thinking of Rake's Progress.

Yes, yes I am. I should really listen to that sometime.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've been on a Debussy and Chopin fling lately.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I've been stuck on Busoni's Piano Concerto in C lately. It's literally the Beethoven's 9th of piano concerti. Over an hour long, 5 movements, and a male choir in the final movement, it's really incredible.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    setrajonas wrote:
    I've been stuck on Busoni's Piano Concerto in C lately. It's literally the Beethoven's 9th of piano concerti. Over an hour long, 5 movements, and a male choir in the final movement, it's really incredible.

Piano concerto with a male choir? My first reaction is a scoff and a dismissal, but now, on second thought, I'm kind of intrigued. I'd like to year this epic Concerto, I think. Do you know of any freely available copies online, or do I have to commit myself to a hardcopy from Amazon?

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yea, once you hear it, you'll probably change your mind. The entire piece practically transcends the genre, same way Mahler did with the symphony.

I don't know any online copies, but there are a few recordings you can get from amazon. I have the Marc Andre-Hamelin recording, which is pretty fine, but I've heard good things about the Ohlsson recording.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    KraliasKralias Registered User regular
    edited August 2006

Same, actually. Chopin's work is amazing, I hadn't realized how great the Ballades, Fantaise in F Minor and Polonaise-Fantaise were before. Truly excellent.

Also, to Poldy, Elendil and anyone else: Do you have any recommendations for good Stravinsky past the initial Ballet period? I love Rite of Spring, but I can't quite get in to anything he composed past that.

Kralias on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Kralias wrote:

Same, actually. Chopin's work is amazing, I hadn't realized how great the Ballades, Fantaise in F Minor and Polonaise-Fantaise were before. Truly excellent.

Also, to Poldy, Elendil and anyone else: Do you have any recommendations for good Stravinsky past the initial Ballet period? I love Rite of Spring, but I can't quite get in to anything he composed past that.

Symphony of Psalms!!

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Kralias wrote:

Violin Concerto in D.

Edit* And what Saggio said.

BSO actually debuted it. BSO fucking rocks. I'm gonna miss it.

Of course, the NY Philharmonic is no slouch, either. ;)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Kralias wrote:

Oedipus is definitely worth listening to.

Symphony in Three Movements and Symphony in C are both fantastic.

But Symphony of Psalms is a masterpiece. Possibly even better than the Rite and I really like the Rite.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Maybe you chaps need to listen to Concerto in D more too ;)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    BSO actually debuted it. BSO fucking rocks.
    Koussevitzky was a great champion of modern music, commissioning a number of works from prominent composers. For Boston Symphony Orchestra's 50th anniversary he commissioned Ravel's piano concerto, Gershwin's 2nd Rhapsody, Prokofiev's 4th Symphony (which was later revised by the composer), Hindemith's Concert Music for Strings and Brass, and Igor Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms, as well as works by Roussel and Hanson.

That is one hell of a birthday bash.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Maybe you chaps need to listen to Concerto in D more too ;)
    It's good, but not Symphony of Psalms good. :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I listened seriously to "The Rite of Spring" for the first time. It was really good. I have to admit that near the start of The Sacrifice I got on some train of thought that led me to an irresistable urge to listen to "Jupiter" from The Planets. I couldn't resist, so that broke up my listening a bit. But it was still amazing.

Anyone here listen to Weber? Particularly the clarinet concertos.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited August 2006

Not that much, but you know who I do listen to? Webern.

I think he is absolutely amazing. Perhaps some of the most perfect seconds of music ever composed. So fragile, so composed, so restrained - yet somehow completely neurotic and insane. Stravinsky said that he was a composer of diamonds.

I think he was right.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hell yeah.

EDIT: May I also mention that it really bugs me when people confuse Carl Maria von with Andrew Lloyd? That's just not right at all.

Erlking on