Options

The Classical Music Thread

• Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kralias wrote:
    I was checking out some short Piano pieces, and ran across Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues. For some reason, nobody knows about them, but they are amazing. Definitely worth checking out, they're basically Shostakovich's attempts to make his own Well-Tempered Clavier, which somehow succeeds remarkably well.

This is a good time for Shostakovich in general. The 25th of September is the centennial of his birthday, so there is going to be a lot of Shosty to see live for the next few months.

Erlking on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Erlking wrote:
    Kralias wrote:
    I was checking out some short Piano pieces, and ran across Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues. For some reason, nobody knows about them, but they are amazing. Definitely worth checking out, they're basically Shostakovich's attempts to make his own Well-Tempered Clavier, which somehow succeeds remarkably well.

This is a good time for Shostakovich in general. The 25th of September is the centennial of his birthday, so there is going to be a lot of Shosty to see live for the next few months.

I just acquired his Second Cello Concerto. Amazing. In the finale, the thing actually starts to groove like a funk song! It's so surreal.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    KraliasKralias Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The only thing I had by Shostakovich before this was the Eighth String Quartet, which I liked a lot, and the Fifth Symphony, which I wasn't as fond of. I'll definitely check out the Second Cello Concerto, love Cellos and Funk.

Kralias on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    saggio wrote:
    Goddammit. No one does Beethoven's Ninth like Karajan. I downloaded another symphonic cycle by someone else (the name escapes me), and I just think it sounds like complete shit when compared with the Berlin Philharmoniker.

It lacks the intensity and drive of Karajan's version...Even if the tempo is slightly faster (which doesn't suit the opening movement of the Ninth at all - it's an Allegro, not a Vivace), the thing sounds like an orchestra playing Beethoven the way one plays Haydn. It just doesn't fit.
    I think the only disappointing thing with the Karajan (in the first movement anyway, I need more time with the others yet) is that he doesn't pull off the big climax as well as the Furtwangler I'm used to listening to. The basses aren't pronounced enough. You need that dark, sinister line under that to really make it work to the fullest.

In general, there doesn't seem to be as much instrumental clarity as I'd prefer, but it's not so bad that I don't like it. It is very good, in fact.

Elendil on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Beethoven:

I just got to perform in Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto (The Emperor) with pianist Andre Watts!!!

He
    is
    PHENOMENAL!!!

And that concerto is just amazing in general.

We also got to play the Brahms 1st Symphony! The opening for that is fantastic. <3

Elendil, I freakin LOVE the picture for your avatar right now. :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Beethoven:

I just got to perform in Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto (The Emperor) with pianist Andre Watts!!!

He
    is
    PHENOMENAL!!!

And that concerto is just amazing in general.

We also got to play the Brahms 1st Symphony! The opening for that is fantastic. <3

Elendil, I freakin LOVE the picture for your avatar right now. :D

Oh, the opening for Brahms' 1st is one of my favourites in music ever. It reminds me alot of Fidelio (about 10 or so bars in), but I think Brahms does it better than Beethoven. It's just downright awesome.

saggio on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Beethoven:

He
    is
    PHENOMENAL!!!

Excellent. I'm seeing him in December, performing Pierne's Piano Concerto in C Minor, Op. 12 w/ the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, Gerard Schwarz conducting. Anyone know the piece? They's also doing The Planets for this concert...I'm so fucking excited...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Speaking of Beethoven:

He
    is
    PHENOMENAL!!!

Excellent. I'm seeing him in December, performing Pierne's Piano Concerto in C Minor, Op. 12 w/ the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, Gerard Schwarz conducting. Anyone know the piece? They's also doing The Planets for this concert...I'm so fucking excited...

O.O!!!

Lucky!!

You shant be dissapointed!

Togfather: HELL YES.

It's funny too, because Brahms was rather apprehensive about premiering this piece because of Beethoven. The last movement is actually a sort of tribute to Beethoven.

Has anyone ever listened to Debussy's Sonata for Violin? It's quite the piece. It has an excellent piano part with it too.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So L'Orfeo is definitely one of the strangest pieces of music I've ever heard.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Oh, String Quartets 11 and 12, where have you been all my life?

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:

Dammit, Elendil, you were told about this months ago!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Listening? What devilry is this?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I was raving about String Quartets 10-12 for like two solid weeks in the summer.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I was raving about String Quartets 10-12 for like two solid weeks in the summer.
    I do remember you raving about 10.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Pulcinella is highly underrated.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You know what?

It might be little overdone, but I really like Mendelsshon's Italian Symphony. And his violin concerto.

So there!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    You know what?

It might be little overdone, but I really like Mendelsshon's Italian Symphony. And his violin concerto.

So there!

The Hebrides Overture is pretty rad.

Elendil on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are you classy lads and lovely ladies aware of this? Soundboard recordings, MP3 and FLAC format, dating back to 1961. Performances are mastered every night, so they're put online within several days of their occurrence.

They're currently offering a recording of Beethoven's 5th for free, recorded last September.

:o

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Holy Shit, Die Walkure.

Holy motherfucking shit. Almost as good as Tristan.

Wagner, you are a motherfucking motherfucker.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You mean Monteverdi's L'Orfeo? Really cool music, especially "Tu se morte."

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Anybody but Poldy: tell me about Brahms.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man (I love band works)
    you have to like it.

Not really a band work though. Check out Copland's third symphony.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Beethoven definitely changed the way music was done. A specific work I can't think of, but he really did change the scene.

Beethoven's Third Symphony was pretty radical. It pretty much single handedly marks the end of the classical period and the beginning of the romantic.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Beethoven, I have a question:

How do you create such a huge sound in the 3rd movement of your 15th String Quartet, using only four instruments.

You can either post your answer here or in PM.

Thanks.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Elendil wrote:

Brahms was awesome. He was the true successor to Beethoven. His 1st Symphony is sometimes called "Beethoven's 10th" because it is very similar to the 9th (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Brahms also led one half of the German romantic composers in the years after Beethoven and before the demise of nationalistic music. There was a great divide between Wagner and Brahms, and composers of the era are sometimes classified as either Wagnerian or Brahmian.

saggio on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    saggio wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Brahms was awesome. He was the true successor to Beethoven. His 1st Symphony is sometimes called "Beethoven's 10th" because it is very similar to the 9th (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Brahms also led one half of the German romantic composers in the years after Beethoven and before the demise of nationalistic music. There was a great divide between Wagner and Brahms, and composers of the era are sometimes classified as either Wagnerian or Brahmian.
    Thus the "anybody but Poldy." :P

I'm hoping tonight to pick up the German Requiem and 1st and 4th symphonies. Any other works in particular to look out for?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Elendil, by God, if you choose Brahms over Wagner, so help me God I will murder you. MURDER!!!!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Antipope!

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Thus the "anybody but Poldy." :P

I'm hoping tonight to pick up the German Requiem and 1st and 4th symphonies. Any other works in particular to look out for?

Check out his Rhapsodies.

saggio on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    2nd Piano Concerto, Violin concerto, piano quartet no. 3, string quartet no. 1, any of the piano trios, any of the violin sonatas (but 3 is my favorite). The late piano pieces are also very fine little pieces.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ended up getting symphonies 3 & 4, plus the Requiem.

Also picked of the first Book of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. Nobody spoil Book 2.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Last night's acquisitions are made of win.

I just started listening to the Bach now and I'm blown away.

Elendil on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Also picked of the first Book of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier. Nobody spoil Book 2.
    Bach dies.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I loled.

I have aquired Mahler's 3rd (Plus a reading of Cooke's version of the 10th) which is superb. I also grabed a recital of the Rite Of Spring paired with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, I actually found that Pictures is a work equall to that of The Rite.

Plus I also grabbed Beethoven's 11th and 29th Piano Sonatas, but havn't had time to digest yet.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm listening to Turandot right now. Anyone down with a little Italian Romantic opera?

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm listening to Turandot right now. Anyone down with a little Italian Romantic opera?

Puccini and Rossini for the win.

"Casta Diva" fucking rocks, but Norma's kinda boring.

Verdi for the fucking lose.

I'm sorry, I've spent the last SEVEN HOURS writing a fucking paper on this stuff. I love it, but damn. If I have to write bel canto or read tessitura again, I may kill someone.

NEEDS MORE BEETHOVEN!!!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Choose your topics wisely, or if possible, choose one with a theoretical basis.

Ergo: Writing a paper on Webern where you have to listen to his music for long ammounts of time = hell.

However, a purely theoretical paper on Stravinsky is fine by me, as he changed shape and guise so readily that you never read the same thing twice.

Or you just do something on someone like say, Ballakirev, who scholars loath for sucking* aparently. That's kinda funny.

[spoiler:2e7bf81eef] * Well, in one book,someone said that one of his works was dull and lifeless, so hey, that's close enough.[/spoiler:2e7bf81eef]

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Choose your topics wisely, or if possible, choose one with a theoretical basis.

Ergo: Writing a paper on Webern where you have to listen to his music for long ammounts of time = hell.

However, a purely theoretical paper on Stravinsky is fine by me, as he changed shape and guise so readily that you never read the same thing twice.

Or you just do something on someone like say, Ballakirev, who scholars loath for sucking* aparently. That's kinda funny.

[spoiler:88de26d338] * Well, in one book,someone said that one of his works was dull and lifeless, so hey, that's close enough.[/spoiler:88de26d338]

Yeah, amen. I once wrote a paper on Benjamin Britten's War Requiem. I nearly lost my mind.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm currently writing an essay on Beethoven's 5th, so I thought I'd stop by this thread. I'm writing about how its different from traditional Classical symphonies and the initial public reaction to it.

Beethoven is indeed great, I prefer his music to Mozart's and the other Classical composers, though not to say they weren't also great. Other than that, I'm currently listening to quite a bit of Bach. I really love Baroque music, I love the basso continuo and that the music is often so relentless.

I was thinking of listening to some opera for my next report, but I'm not sure whether to listen to something like Wagner, Mozart, or Italian opera.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Go to Wagner for greatness, Italian for melody, and see Mozart for entertainment.

Mozart - especially Le Nozze - is is the one opera composer that simply MUST be seen. I can't wait to see The Magic Flute at the met.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1