Options

The Classical Music Thread

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Like, where's the beat? I want some shit I can dance to, yo. I ain't seen no wimmins shakin they rump to no Mozart, so like what's the point?
    Try the Rite of Spring.
    I like where this title is going...

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Like, where's the beat? I want some shit I can dance to, yo. I ain't seen no wimmins shakin they rump to no Mozart, so like what's the point?
    Try the Rite of Spring.
    I like where this title is going...
    The Augurs of Spring (Dances of the Young Girls)
    Mystic Circle of the Young Girls
    :winky:

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    BTW, it should be said how much better Beethoven is than Mozart.

No one comes anywhere close to approaching Beethoven's mastery and genius. He was the best Romantic and the best Classicist. His tenth string quartet is the greatest classical piece ever written, and no one has come close to capturing what Beethoven does in the 9th and the Große Fugue

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Poldy wrote:

No one comes anywhere close to approaching Beethoven's mastery and genius. He was the best Romantic and the best Classicist. His tenth string quartet is the greatest classical piece ever written, and no one has come close to capturing what Beethoven does in the 9th and the Große Fugue
    I think being able to type that to an actual audience just made Poldy's day.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Was Beethoven considered a different period from Mozart? He seems a lot less restrained.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

Was Beethoven considered a different period from Mozart? He seems a lot less restrained.

Beethoven is the bridge between classicism and romanticism. He was tought be Salieri and was the absolute hero of Wagner and Mahler.

edit* cel, you are so right.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So. The Saint-Saens Piano Concert No. 2 in G minor, Op. 22.

I'm seeing this performed tomorrow, so I went out and d/led to learn the piece ahead of time, and I'm absolutely enamored by it. Big symphonic sounds w/ amazing and light piano. Any thoughts?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:

You're trying to tell me that classical-era Beethoven is better than Mozart or Haydn? You're out of your mind. Beethoven was so influential because his most important works weren't in the style of Mozart or Haydn.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Anyone who regularly visits this thread and has not seen The Planets performed live by a top-notch symphony, go. Go now. Stop reading this, find some orchestra performing it somewhere in the world, and get there. Seriously....

I'm still in shock...

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want to buy a classical music cd, but im scared.

I make a point of tuning the radio to my local classical music station before I go to bed, mostly because I feel more refreshed in the morning, compared to keeping it tuned to Power 106 or Krock :-P

The thing is, there are certain songs that I hear that I like, but I never know what they are called.

Any suggestions? (I like alot of variety)

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006

I make a point of tuning the radio to my local classical music station before I go to bed, mostly because I feel more refreshed in the morning, compared to keeping it tuned to Power 106 or Krock :-P

The thing is, there are certain songs that I hear that I like, but I never know what they are called.

Use internet radio.

They generally have the song names and CDs listed.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Soooooo...*bump*

John Adams - Nixon in China. What a fantastic work, anyone else dig it?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I know of the piece, but don't know it too well. I seem to remember liking what I've heard (I might've heard a studio-mate singing an aria from it or something) but I'm not too sure. Sorry I can't add more... do you know anywhere that I can easily obtain a recording?

On a completely different note... check out my new sig. It's actually an excerpt from L'enfant et les sortilèges which I will be performing in sometime next semester, but I thought it was funny.
    [spoiler:d348cfbe72]kekekeke[/spoiler:d348cfbe72]

Also, if anyone is in the Toronto area I strongly suggest you go to Sam the Record Man. In their classical music section they are (or at least, were) selling a boxed set of all of Mozart's piano concertos (a 10 disc set I believe) for about $30 played by Vladimir Ashkenazy (whose Mozart's inerpretations are magnificent). Go get it!

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hamju wrote:
    On a completely different note... check out my new sig. It's actually an excerpt from L'enfant et les sortilèges which I will be performing in sometime next semester, but I thought it was funny.
    [spoiler:3295d13989]kekekeke[/spoiler:3295d13989]
    bergrush.jpg
    BERG RUSH

Elendil on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    While you are there, hit me with some Berg recomendations. Being a Jazz man you'd think I could hack some more adventurous stuff, but ney!

So, I'm down with that Stravinsky, so hit me with some good Berg.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    While you are there, hit me with some Berg recomendations. Being a Jazz man you'd think I could hack some more adventurous stuff, but ney!

So, I'm down with that Stravinsky, so hit me with some good Berg.
    I don't actually have very much. That said, the Violin Concerto and Lulu Suite are some of my current favorites, and I am hoping to get Wozzeck for Christmas.

In other news, apparently Scriabin's Divine Poem will be playing in New York soon.

I must think on this.

Elendil on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:

Use internet radio.

They generally have the song names and CDs listed.

(I don't think this is what you meant Incejucar, so I'm throwing this out there too)

Also Mr. White, most Classical music radio stations (like every other radio station) have a web site you can go to where they post the time and date a piece was played. So if you hear something you like, just jot down what time it was and then look it up on the station's site the next day.

Also going back to Beethoven: I can never get over his violin concerto. I love that piece to death (and the Kreisler cadenza for that piece is bad-ass).

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rachmaninov. Theme of Paganini...music doesn't doesn't get any better.

Werdna on
  • Options
    FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Got a few favourites actually.

Dvorak's Homecoming Symphony
    Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
    Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody
    Carl Orff's Carmina Burana
    Mostly anything from Tchaikovsky
    Mendelssohn's Pictures At An Exhibition
    Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain

Can I include Kou Otani's Roar of the Earth? I know it's from Shadow of the Colossus but it IS in classical musical style?
    If not, then uh never mind then.

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mendelssohn never wrote Pictures at an Exhibition. Unless you mean an orchestrated version by him (my favourite is the classic one by Rimsky-Korsakov).

saggio on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    saggio wrote:
    Mendelssohn never wrote Pictures at an Exhibition. Unless you mean an orchestrated version by him (my favourite is the classic one by Rimsky-Korsakov).
    Pictures was written a good bit after Mendelssohn.

Elendil on
  • Options
    FinalGamerFinalGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    Huh, my mistake, Mendelssohn is in my head when I think of that. I always get composers mixed up.
    I thought for a while Stravinsky wrote Bald Mountain.

FinalGamer on
    "Videogames are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n' roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    dancingmagels1.gif
    Attack
    Magic > Breakdance 2
    Item
    Flee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    FinalGamer wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    Huh, my mistake, Mendelssohn is in my head when I think of that. I always get composers mixed up.
    I thought for a while Stravinsky wrote Bald Mountain.
    Both are by Mussorgsky. :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I had forgotten how awesome the "Emperor" piano concerto is.

That Beethoven - he knew a thing or two about music

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Oh god YES.

I was fortunate enough to have the one and only André Watts perform this with my symphony (ASU Symphony Orchestra--I have NO idea how we managed to get him to play with us either) this past semester.

It was the most amazing thing to hear being played (and to get to play the orchestra part in). And André was absolutely amazing--completely fluid in his playing. He made it sound so effortless.

We were seriously lucky to get him to play with us.

(and HELL, it was BEETHOVEN! THE EMPEROR CONCERTO!!!)

We also got to Play Brahm's 1st Symphony in the same concert. I have to say, that piece has one of the most powerful entrances ever composed (at least if done well). And it's interesting to see all of the variations in tempo conductors have picked for that beginning.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Oh god YES.

I was fortunate enough to have the one and only André Watts perform this with my symphony (ASU Symphony Orchestra--I have NO idea how we managed to get him to play with us either) this past semester.

It was the most amazing thing to hear being played (and to get to play the orchestra part in). And André was absolutely amazing--completely fluid in his playing. He made it sound so effortless.

(and HELL, it was BEETHOVEN! THE EMPEROR CONCERTO!!!)

We also got to Play Brahm's 1st Symphony in the same concert. I have to say, that piece has one of the most powerful entrances ever composed (at least if done well). And it's interesting to see all of the variations in tempo conductors have picked for that beginning.

I fucking love Brahms' first. The beginning is so awesome. You are one lucky bastard, I must say.

saggio on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:

I can honestly say that piece changed my life. Seriously.

In other news, anyone, anyone who likes Rachmaninoff must hear The Bells. It is a masterpiece.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

In other news, anyone, anyone who likes Rachmaninoff must hear The Bells. It is a masterpiece.

My school inspired that song, if anyone really cares.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

My school inspired that song, if anyone really cares.
    I actually knew this.

[spoiler:a5dd11ba7b]Kinda sorta. It's a pretty liberal translation of Edgar Allan Poe's actual poem.[/spoiler:a5dd11ba7b]

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh how I know Saggio. :D

Believe you me, I thank my lucky stars every day for being the lucky bastard I am when I get handed my music for my Symphony Orchestra. We play such bad-ass music (except during Christmas >.<)!

I know for sure we will be playing Tchaik's 6th Symphony (Pathétique) this semester as soon as we get back from break. I'm not sure what else we'll be playing though.

I'm also really excited to hear that Nadja Salerno Sonnenberg will be coming to Arizona soon for a music festival! She's going to be playing Tchaik's Violin Concerto!

I think it's a bit overplayed, but I like it none the less, and to see her play it should be great.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor,_BWV_565

There have been plenty of interpretations of this one, which I all like.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor,_BWV_565

There have been plenty of interpretations of this one, which I all like.
    I really like Stokowski's orchestral version that's used in Fantasia. I actually have a much newer recording of an orchestra performing that and it's awesome.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The ending of Prokofiev's The Fiery Angel is so delightfully loud.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ...the one and only André Watts...

...absolutely amazing--completely fluid in his playing. He made it sound so effortless....

Since you brought him back up, I felt the need to elaborate a bit. I posted earlier that I just saw him w/ the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra performing Franck's Symphonic Variations and Saint-Saens' Piano Concerto No. 2. Absolutely incredible, unbelievable, and utterly amazing... He left the entire audience simply stunned. I even overheard one woman during intermission say something like, "Oh, we've been coming to see Andre since he was seventeen", and considering this was his 60th birthday tour, that's quite a feat.

I was slightly dissapointed that there was no encore involved, but he was pretty wiped out from performing these two pieces back-to-back (see reference to 60th birthday above) so I guess that's ok. Besides, he could play nothing more impressive than the last 2 minutes of the Saint-Saens' Concerto.

I do not understand how one person can contain so much talent and ability, it doesn't seem like it should be possible.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Is Prokofiev just ridiculously underrecorded, or what? Man, I don't want Peter and the Wolf.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Is Prokofiev just ridiculously underrecorded, or what? Man, I don't want Peter and the Wolf.
    391913.jpg

Get that, if you don't have it already. It's full of awesome and not Peter and the Wolf.
    Edit: Thought the picture is better. It's the Panorama 2-disc set of Prokofiev. They do 2-disc sets for pretty much all the big composers and they're all awesome.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hamju wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    391913.jpg

Get that, if you don't have it already. It's full of awesome and not Peter and the Wolf.
    Edit: Thought the picture is better. It's the Panorama 2-disc set of Prokofiev. They do 2-disc sets for pretty much all the big composers and they're all awesome.
    Ah, yeah, I picked one of those up for Rachmaninoff. One of the few recordings of The Bells I've seen around. That was a nice set.

I really am shocked by the apparent rarity of the Prokofiev symphonies; a quick run through of Amazon only turned up two complete sets. He's not exactly obscure. The bookstore has mostly the concerti and theatrical music (picked up Alexander Nevsky today) and umpteen Peter and the Wolf recordings.

Oh, and are we talking about Brahms? I fucking love the first movement of the 4th symphony.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't have the Rach publication, but I am interested in it. Do you remember who's performing?
    I just picked up the Liszt one a month or two ago and it's awesome. I already had the Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Bizet, Grieg, Mussorgsky, and somewhere I might have one of the Mozart discs.

That's surprising about the lack of Prokofiev recordings because ya, taking a glance at my classical CD book it seems like I've had no problem finding enough. But really, if you get that Panorama recording it should last you a long time. It has a fantastic recording of his violin concerto that's just to die for. In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it now.

Edit: I just put the CD in and I forgot it also has a large chunk of Romeo and Juliet on this.... my God how is it that I haven't listened to this in so long. Such marvelous fun music.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Rach set has Ashkenazy doing The Bells and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Maazel doing the second symphony (I don't think I've actually listened to this one; I have another recording) and Wislocki (I'd never heard of him before it) conducting... Sviatoslav Richter in the second piano concerto. Nice.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like a good one. Perhaps I'll pick it up for The Bells. I don't think I've ever heard it, but have heard good things.

Hamju on