Options

The Classical Music Thread

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I don't recall whether I posted his name in this classical thread or one of its predecessors, but David Gillingham's works are quite enjoyable - his Apocalyptic Dreams Symphony, and the percussion ensemble Stained Glass, are particularly superb.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    AriochArioch Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'm moving to Sweden in five weeks and am compiling the most godawful depressing music ever created by human hands to while away the long, dark winters. I've already got "Gloomy Sunday," which is banned there for having killed more Swedes than World War Two. So can anyone recommend some soul-wrenching stuff? I've got Mozart's Requiem, Tristan and Isolde, and the odd Bach violins here and there. I'm really after small ensembles rather than symphonies and stuff with lots of mournful strings and/or pounding pianos would be grand. Bequeath your knowledge unto me, O Lords of Prentension!

Arioch on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Arioch wrote:
    I'm moving to Sweden in five weeks and am compiling the most godawful depressing music ever created by human hands to while away the long, dark winters. I've already got "Gloomy Sunday," which is banned there for having killed more Swedes than World War Two. So can anyone recommend some soul-wrenching stuff? I've got Mozart's Requiem, Tristan and Isolde, and the odd Bach violins here and there. I'm really after small ensembles rather than symphonies and stuff with lots of mournful strings and/or pounding pianos would be grand. Bequeath your knowledge unto me, O Lords of Prentension!

The Elgar Cello Concerto in e Minor played by Jacqueline du Pre

Barber's Adagio for Strings (you knoooow, it was played at the very end of the movie The Elephant Man--it was sooo sad!!! And I've played it on more than one occasion that has made me bawl)

Donna Nobis Pace--Vaughn Williams (although not all of it is completely depressing)

OH! And the third movement of The Symphonic Metamorphoses of Themes by Carl maria van Weber-Hindemith is to DIE FOR. T_T

EDIT:
    Also, the Sibelius Violin COncerto in d Minor is superb.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Oh, and has anyone listened to Ravels' Quartet in F Major? Or Debussy's Quartet in g Minor?

If not, LISTEN!!! They're amazing.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Arioch wrote:

Find a complete Chopin Nocturne cycle. Solo piano never sounded so good.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    saggio wrote:
    Arioch wrote:

It's true!!!

Oh man, and how could I forget, there's an ENTIRE cd just for you-- it's even called Sweet Sorrow--music played by Sarah Chang (violinist), and it's all beautifully done, and quite sorrowful.

Oh, sorry I keep mainly picking violin pieces, but that's what I play, so yeahhh, lol. ^_^'...

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    DarthBinksDarthBinks Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Well, I've played a lot of "classical music" and my most favorite pieces ever are probobly Death and Transfiguration by R. Strauss if you don't mind programmatic music about the Transfiguration of souls (omg Christianity), and Sibelius' 2nd Symphony.

DarthBinks on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    So I'm halfway through the Verdi Requiem- holy shit. The only word I can describe this as is violent. And how gorgeously violent.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    So I'm halfway through the Verdi Requiem- holy shit. The only word I can describe this as is violent. And how gorgeously violent.

I never really liked Verdi. It's basically a melody and an orchestral guitar.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    saggio wrote:
    Arioch wrote:

In keeping with that suggestion, some of Alexander Scriabin's earlier music is worth a try. Heavily Chopin influenced, though generally "darker."

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    Arioch wrote:

In keeping with that suggestion, some of Alexander Scriabin's earlier music is worth a try. Heavily Chopin influenced, though generally "darker."
    Faure's Elegy on cello is one of my most favorite pieces ever.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Gahhh, I <3 the Beethoven Violin Concerto!!!!

Even if it is a pain-in-the-ass to play, lol.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Have you heard many of his quartets? They are some of his best pieces of music, imo.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Have you heard many of his quartets? They are some of his best pieces of music, imo.

I've been able to play one of his quartets, and I have to agree with you! I just love Beethoven in general. :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mahler's Symphony No 3

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Mahler's Symphony No 3

Ohhh yes. That piece is awesome! :D

Shatakovitch's 1st Symphony is also pretty damn cool.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Mahler's Symphony No 3

He wrote it when he was... 19, right? That's damned impressive.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Mahler's Symphony No 3

No way!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Mahler's Symphony No 3

No way!

It's true!!

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    So, I'm working on listening to the entirety of Carmina Burana, and it's better than expected. I liked “O Fortuna”, of course; everybody likes that. However, I was unsure how I would find of the rest of the piece, and it turns out I had nothing to fear.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    stilist wrote:
    So, I'm working on listening to the entirety of Carmina Burana, and it's better than expected. I liked “O Fortuna”, of course; everybody likes that. However, I was unsure how I would find of the rest of the piece, and it turns out I had nothing to fear.

It's a fun work. The irony of O Fortuna flanking what amounts to a bunch of often raunchy bar songs amuses me greatly.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I never see enough Haydn love in here.

Where all my Haydn fans at?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I've only heard 104.

It is good.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    I've only heard 104.

It is good.

Well since he was so prolific, I've only heard about 10% of his whole catalogue, but every symphony after 88 is fantasitc.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Does anyone know of any music for solo cello? I'm aware of the Bach, and I have the Kodaly sonata.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Does anyone know of any music for solo cello? I'm aware of the Bach, and I have the Kodaly sonata.

I love the cello, but there isn't a lot of solo music for it. Beethoven's sonatas for piano and cello are quite good.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Since we're asking for specific instruments, what about the bassoon? I'm quite fond of Vivaldi's bassoon works, and I'm interested in other pieces.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Since we're asking for specific instruments, what about the bassoon? I'm quite fond of Vivaldi's bassoon works, and I'm interested in other pieces.

I know Bach has some, but I couldn't name any specific pieces.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I love the cello, but there isn't a lot of solo music for it. Beethoven's sonatas for piano and cello are quite good.
    I play the cello so let me see if I can help you out here.

There's the Lalo Concerto in D Minor which is a must, Saint Saens (sp?) has a Concerto as well, I think in C Minor (been awhile since I played it), but I didn't like that one much.

In the way of just straight pieces there's Faure's Elegy, Bruch's Kol Nidre, and Bloch's Prayer.

Hope that helps.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The most famous concerto for the bassoon is definitely Mozart's Concerto in Bb Major (K.191). You have probably heard the theme of the first movement at some point. There are also a whole lot of very good baroque compositions for bassoon - it is a featured instrument in all of the Brandenburg Concertos, for instance. Mozart also makes extensive use of the bassoon in his operas (Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, etc). Later romantics didn't always give the bassoon it's due; at least the most famous ones didn't write very much for it.

There are two composers that you ought to google around for. Both wrote methods that are still in common use today. The first is Weissenborn, and the second is Pivonka. I'm fairly certain that they both wrote extensively for the bassoon, and not just technical studies (the studies are really good, though).

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I play the cello so let me see if I can help you out here.

There's the Lalo Concerto in D Minor which is a must, Saint Saens (sp?) has a Concerto as well, I think in C Minor (been awhile since I played it), but I didn't like that one much.

In the way of just straight pieces there's Faure's Elegy, Bruch's Kol Nidre, and Bloch's Prayer.

Hope that helps.

Definitely--much of it is new to me. Thanks.

Elendil on
  • Options
    HaberdasherHaberdasher Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Do you have the Jacqueline du Pre (spelling?) recording of the Elgar cello concerto? For the love of God, PM me if you don't.

Edit: shit, I'm on my friends computer and I forgot. this is YosemiteSam.

Haberdasher on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:

Yoyo Ma?

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:

I take it that you don't just want unaccompanied works since you didn't specify.

As someone mentioned above there's the Elgar Cello concerto, which is AMAZING.

If you look up Yo Yo Ma and Jaqueline du Pre (on something like Amazon), you should be able to find copius amounts of music. ^_^

(sorry, i can't think of anything specific right now because I'm quite tired. It's sad though, because my mother is a cellist, lol. Oh well!)

OH!!! I almost forgot!!!

I have been looking for a certain piece I heard a little while ago, which I have had NO success finding what-so ever, and I was wondering if someone knew where I could find it:

Come Sweet Death (a work for chorus) by Bach

Considering who the composer is, you would think it wouldn't be that hard to find, but alas.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Komm Susser Todd is the translation of Come Sweet Death into German. If you look for that I would imagine you'll find it easier.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Komm Susser Todd is the translation of Come Sweet Death into German. If you look for that I would imagine you'll find it easier.

Damn, all I got was a whole bunch of stuff for Neon Genesis Evangelion, lol.

Thanks for the translation though! ^_^

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I've been getting into Schubert's songs lately. Gretchen am Spinnrade is fantastic.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fuck, Paganini is hard to play. But, FUCK is he awesome.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

What do you play, anyway?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

What do you play, anyway?

Guitar and bass, though I've been dabbling in piano lately.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1