Options

The Classical Music Thread

• Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Also, the Saint-Saen Violin Concerto is excellent, although, with most people, it's one of those pices that you either like or dislike. I highly suggest the second and third movements for listening. The first movement is excellent as well. I recommend Pearlman's recording of it.
    Oh yeah, the Saint-Saens is really nice. I have a particular attachment to that and the third movement of Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole because I participated in performances of both of those. Actually, my first orchestral clarinet solo was at the end of the Symphonie Espagnole.

Sorry, I'll reminisce to myself instead of doing it out loud.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Went to pick up the Shostakovich piano concerti but couldn't find them.

I consoled myself by grabbing a few of the Bach cello suites and the Scriabin piano concerto/Prometheus.

Edit: I also, by pure luck, found the Tchaikovsky book on harmony. It was on the floor, 50% off.

Elendil on
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yosemite sam: YAY!!! :D ! I love the third movement of the Symphonie Espanole as well! ^_^! I'm currently working on the second and third movement of the Saint-Saens (sorry I forgot the last "s" in it last time, lol). I just have to polish up the second movement, and then work on the last couple of pages to the third. Oh man, those false harmonics at the end of the second movement are such a freakin pain in the ass. >_<

So you play Clrinet? Awesome! I <3 clarinet. Oh man, there's are some awesome solos for clarinet in a ton of pieces. Listen to the Third movement of the Hindemith I mentioned a page ago. Although the flute takes over at the end (it's amazing though).

So I'm watching The Venture Brothers right now, and just a little bit ago, the started playing Mars from The Planets! And they had some of The Monarch's henchmen singing along with it!!! HAHAHA!!!

OMG! On the way home, I had the classical music station on, and there was a BEAUTIFUL piano piece on, and I made sure to remember to put it up here (especially since I remembered some of you are on a piano music binge right now):

Ballad in g minor by Chopin

Check it out!

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    PatheinPathein Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Clarinets are indeed awesome.

Listening to Bach's chaconne in D minor. Very nice.

Pathein on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Pathein wrote:

Have you listened to the Vitali Chaccone before? It's beautiful. (I love the Sarah Chang recording on her cd Sweet Sorrow). I had wanted to play it at my recital last month, but it was too long, so I played Zigunerwiesen instead, but it still turned out well! :) God damn that left-hand piz. though! *_*

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Man, I am such a Scriabin whore. This stuff is just so cool.

Needless to say, Prometheus gets a :^:

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Picked up some String Quartets and cello concerti today:

Haydn String Quartets:

op. 54 (Tost Quartets)
    op. 74

Haydn Cello Concerti:
    Cello Concerto in C, Hob.BIIb:1
    Cello Concerto in D, op. 101

Vivaldi Cello Concerti:
    Cello Concerto in G, RV 413
    Cello Concerto in G minor, RV.417

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    So, anyone into Berlioz?

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    So, anyone into Berlioz?

All I've heard is Symphonie Fantastique, but I really liked it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    So, anyone into Berlioz?

All I've heard is Symphonie Fantastique, but I really liked it.

Me too. I even bought the score for it. I've always had trouble getting into the slow movement though. I love the hell out of all the outer movements though. Particularly the Witch's Sabbath--it's a delight to follow with the score in that movement.

I also love the hell out of his Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I'm appreciating the clarinet love guys. We winds often feel misunderstood in orchestras.

Hey Indigo, do you know of a place online that has that Hindemith piece you were talking about? Classic Cat only has the fourth movement, unfortunately.

Also, can anyone vouch for any of these pianists? I'm trying to pick which version I want to download of that Chopin piece Indigo was talking about.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I'm appreciating the clarinet love guys. We winds often feel misunderstood in orchestras.

Hey Indigo, do you know of a place online that has that Hindemith piece you were talking about? Classic Cat only has the fourth movement, unfortunately.

Also, can anyone vouch for any of these pianists? I'm trying to pick which version I want to download of that Chopin piece Indigo was talking about.

I've always love the wind section (as long as they don't suck, lol)! The people in the wind section tend to be funnier and less stuck up anyway (there are a few exceptions though, like always, lol). :wink:

I can't vouch for any of those pianists, sorry.

As far as the Hindemith goes, I can't think of any place. I have a recording of it (haahaaa...My Yourth Orchestra plays it--it was last year--but it's actually really good. That's when we had an amazing clarinet player. And our flute player was the shit, lol), but I don't know how to put it online.

If you know how, tell me, and I'll totally let you listen to it. ^_^

Really, try to listen to the entire piece, it's all amazing.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Elena Kuschnerova. I've heard her play an excellent Scriabin etude. She has CDs out (the Scriabin is actually one I plan to buy soon).

Elendil on
  • Options
    PatheinPathein Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Pathein wrote:

Have you listened to the Vitali Chaccone before? It's beautiful. (I love the Sarah Chang recording on her cd Sweet Sorrow). I had wanted to play it at my recital last month, but it was too long, so I played Zigunerwiesen instead, but it still turned out well! :) God damn that left-hand piz. though! *_*
    Haven't, but I'll give it a listen once I find it, since it doesn't seem to be on Classic Cat.

Pathein on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So, I think I've just discovered one of the most underrated composers of the early 20th century. His name is Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, and he studied at the Royal College in England along with Holst and Vaugh Williams. I'm currently listening to his violin concerto, and it's blowing my mind.

You can give it a listen from Magnatune for free, and hear for yourselves. I'm going to have to find more of this guy. He's awesome.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Hmmm... The violin concerto that Saggio mentioned is indeed quite nice! I'm listening to it right now in fact....

ANYWAY, oh man! I had the classical music station on, when one of my favorite piano pieces came on! Debussy's Clair de Lune! If you haven't heard that before, give it a go, because it's AMAZINGLY beautiful. Amazingly.

Also, the mention above of Vaughn Williams made me recal one of my favorite orchestral works:

Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

(also know as Fantasia For String Orchestra, and a few other names..)

It has 2 orchestras and a string quartet play!! Although the string quatet play with the first orchestra, so I just consider them soloists.

If you've ever seen Master and Commander, they use some of that piece in the movie (the really emotional parts).

So I just listened to all of that violin concerto, and I think it's pretty good. Not my favorite, but a good listen.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    the first couple of bars of claire de lune always bring me to the verge of tears

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    the first couple of bars of claire de lune always bring me to the verge of tears

YES! Exactly.

:cry:<3

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    who's that by

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    who's that by
    Claude Debussy

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    who's that by
    Claude Debussy
    Dude thanks for answering my question, but I know who Debussy is.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    who's that by
    Claude Debussy
    Dude thanks for answering my question, but I know who Debussy is.

But maybe OTHER people don't, hm? There might just be other people out there who don't know who Debussy is, and the link he put up could just help illuminate an entire other world for some.

And anyway, I had actually posted who the composer was in the post before Poldy's, where I first mentioned Clair de Lune. Had you taken the time to read through the posts you would have seen that. That might be one reason why Stilist thought it a good idea to link Debussy's name.

:P

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ZOMG, the Bach Cello Suites= <3 times a MILLION

:D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I think I might be heading to borders today or tomorrow with the intention of buying some classical musaq. I want to beef up my Bach collection, but there's just so stuff in his catalogue. I have:

Bandenberg Concerti
    Mass in B
    St. Matthew's Passion
    Art of the Fugue
    Well Tempered Clavier

The same for Mozart. His catalogue is just so big, with so much average work.

For Mozart, I have:

Collected Symphonies
    Requiem
    Die Zauberflote

I would like symphonies; violin, piano, and cello concerti; masses; trios and quartets, and some arias. What would you recommend?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard, Piano

DEBUSSY Etude No. 1, "Pour les cinq doigts"
    LIGETI Etude No. 7, "Galamb borong"
    CHOPIN Etude in F Minor, Op. 25, No. 2
    LIGETI Etude No. 3, "Touches bloquées"
    CHOPIN Etude in F Minor, from Trois nouvelles études, Op. Posth., No. 1
    LIGETI Etude No. 11, "En suspens"
    RACHMANINOFF Etude-tableau in E-flat Minor, Op. 33, No. 5
    LIGETI Etude No. 6, "Automne à Varsovie"
    LISZT Etude No. 5 in E Major, “La Chasse” (after Niccolò Paganini, Caprice No. 9 in E Major)
    LIGETI Etude No. 4, "Fanfares"
    MESSIAEN "Ile de feu I" from Quatre études de rythme, No. 1
    LIGETI Etude No. 1, "Désordre"
    BARTÓK Three Studies, Op. 18
    DEBUSSY Etude No. 11, "Pour les arpèges composés"
    DEBUSSY Etude No. 10, "Pour les sonorités opposées"
    DEBUSSY Etude No. 7, "Pour les degrés chromatiques"
    SCRIABIN Three Etudes, Op. 65
    LIGETI Etude No. 8, "Fém" ("Metal")
    LIGETI Etude No. 2, "Cordes vides"
    LIGETI Etude No. 13, "L’Escalier du diable"

Jesus.

Jesus.

Jesus.

Elendil on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    I think I might be heading to borders today or tomorrow with the intention of buying some classical musaq. I want to beef up my Bach collection, but there's just so stuff in his catalogue. I have:

Bandenberg Concerti
    Mass in B
    St. Matthew's Passion
    Art of the Fugue
    Well Tempered Clavier

What would you recommend?

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    I want to beef up my Bach collection, but there's just so stuff in his catalogue. I have:

Bandenberg Concerti
    Mass in B
    St. Matthew's Passion
    Art of the Fugue
    Well Tempered Clavier
    Add his Magnificat in D Major, stat.

Streck on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

Bandenberg Concerti
    Mass in B
    St. Matthew's Passion
    Art of the Fugue
    Well Tempered Clavier

The same for Mozart. His catalogue is just so big, with so much average work.

For Mozart, I have:

Collected Symphonies
    Requiem
    Die Zauberflote

I would like symphonies; violin, piano, and cello concerti; masses; trios and quartets, and some arias. What would you recommend?

You know, he also wrote some AMAZINGLY beautiful Partitas. you might want to look into those, and a lot of them happen to be some of his most renowned works. :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    KraliasKralias Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm a lurker, but if that doesn't discount recommendations, then the Mozart String Quintets are excellent. KV 516 especially. A bunch of the late Piano Concertos are excellent too, No. 20 comes to mind.

Kralias on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Does anyone know of any music for solo cello? I'm aware of the Bach, and I have the Kodaly sonata.

I love the cello, but there isn't a lot of solo music for it. Beethoven's sonatas for piano and cello are quite good.

LIES AND SLANDER!

Although entirely an excercise in nature, Popper's works teach incredible technique, if that's what you're looking for. They're the Paganini of Cello playing (fricking rediculous to play).

Already mentioned in this thread are the Lalo concerto (love/hate thing going on there), and the Saint-Saëns concerto in A minor. I've been working on the latter for a couple years now, and I reccomend it for everyone. Lalo sounds incredibly foreign to me at times, but I still reccomend it.

Haydn's cello concerto in C major is another one of my favorites. The concerto in D major is less known, but equally awesome.

The prelude to the first suite has been overused to death in commercials, but a "good" performance of it is unmatched. If you can find a recording by Casals or Rostropovich, it'd definitely beat Yo yo Ma :D.

Bach went a little crazy with the 6th suite, but I still find it enjoyable. The second suite's prelude is also one of the few preludes that isn't exceedingly redundant, so I'll note that, too.

Again: the performer makes or breaks a cello concerto. Personally, I prefer Rostropovich to Yo-yo Ma.
    Do you have the Jacqueline du Pre (spelling?) recording of the Elgar cello concerto? For the love of God, PM me if you don't.

Edit: shit, I'm on my friends computer and I forgot. this is YosemiteSam.
    like zomg srsly. Everyone needs this. The first movement is incredible. Everyone, do yourself a favor and PM me if you don't have it.

Don't hurt me, but I think Jacqueline du Pre is a bit overrated. I just can't like the Elgar concerto, either. I won't even attempt to refute Jacqueline Du Pre's undeniable genius at cello playing, but she never really lived up to her full potential, which really wasn't her fault in the slightest (see Multiple Sclerosis).

Other great cello concertos include: Dvořák, Schumann, and Vivaldi. Brahm's double concerto for Violin and Cello is incredible.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Moridin wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Does anyone know of any music for solo cello? I'm aware of the Bach, and I have the Kodaly sonata.

I love the cello, but there isn't a lot of solo music for it. Beethoven's sonatas for piano and cello are quite good.

LIES AND SLANDER!

Although entirely an excercise in nature, Popper's works teach incredible technique, if that's what you're looking for. They're the Paganini of Cello playing (fricking rediculous to play).

Already mentioned in this thread are the Lalo concerto (love/hate thing going on there), and the Saint-Saëns concerto in A minor. I've been working on the latter for a couple years now, and I reccomend it for everyone. Lalo sounds incredibly foreign to me at times, but I still reccomend it.

Haydn's cello concerto in C major is another one of my favorites. The concerto in D major is less known, but equally awesome.

The prelude to the first suite has been overused to death in commercials, but a "good" performance of it is unmatched. If you can find a recording by Casals or Rostropovich, it'd definitely beat Yo yo Ma :D.

Bach went a little crazy with the 6th suite, but I still find it enjoyable. The second suite's prelude is also one of the few preludes that isn't exceedingly redundant, so I'll note that, too.

Again: the performer makes or breaks a cello concerto. Personally, I prefer Rostropovich to Yo-yo Ma.
    Do you have the Jacqueline du Pre (spelling?) recording of the Elgar cello concerto? For the love of God, PM me if you don't.

Edit: shit, I'm on my friends computer and I forgot. this is YosemiteSam.
    like zomg srsly. Everyone needs this. The first movement is incredible. Everyone, do yourself a favor and PM me if you don't have it.

Don't hurt me, but I think Jacqueline du Pre is a bit overrated. I just can't like the Elgar concerto, either. I won't even attempt to refute Jacqueline Du Pre's undeniable genius at cello playing, but she never really lived up to her full potential, which really wasn't her fault in the slightest (see Multiple Sclerosis).

Other great cello concertos include: Dvořák, Schumann, and Vivaldi. Brahm's double concerto for Violin and Cello is incredible.

Popper's works for the cello are indeed marvelous. I would also recommend giving them a go. ^_^

hahaha, yeah, the prelude to the first suite is quite over-used in commercials (damn commercials!! DAMN!!!). Hahaha, I hear more of the Bach Suites than is probably healthy, but this is because my mother teaches cello privately in our house. So, I get to hear a lot of things 9not all so good either, lol). I have a TON of cello concerti, sonatas, etudes, and studies MEMORIZED. I don't even play the cello damn it!

Ah well, guess it's not a bad thing. ^_^'...

Rostropovitch and Casals are AMAZING musicians, it's true. I would also recommend any recording made by them.

The end of Jacqueline du Pre's life was horribly sad, due to (as you mentioned) Multiple Sclerosis. I myself think she had superb technique and sense of musicality. If you listen to the Elgar cello concerto, and then to her rendition of Hyden's concerto, you find an amazing difference in style and technique used, because she knew what was appropriate when. I think the reason she is still so talked about today, is because of her absolute love of performing, right up until her death. She was sick, and dying, but she chose to continue performing until practically her last breathe. She wouldn't allow the crippling diseas she had to get her down, at least not without a fight. I think that's what people find so amazing, and that's a lot of what people will continue to remember about her. That and her kick-ass recordings, lol. :wink:

May I ask why you don't like the Elgar Cello concerto Moridin?

Kralias: Of course you can post here if you have a good recommendation pertaining to Classical music! :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Popper's works for the cello are indeed marvelous. I would also recommend giving them a go. ^_^

hahaha, yeah, the prelude to the first suite is quite over-used in commercials (damn commercials!! DAMN!!!). Hahaha, I hear more of the Bach Suites than is probably healthy, but this is because my mother teaches cello privately in our house. So, I get to hear a lot of things 9not all so good either, lol). I have a TON of cello concerti, sonatas, etudes, and studies MEMORIZED. I don't even play the cello damn it!

Ah well, guess it's not a bad thing. ^_^'...

Rostropovitch and Casals are AMAZING musicians, it's true. I would also recommend any recording made by them.

The end of Jacqueline du Pre's life was horribly sad, due to (as you mentioned) Multiple Sclerosis. I myself think she had superb technique and sense of musicality. If you listen to the Elgar cello concerto, and then to her rendition of Hyden's concerto, you find an amazing difference in style and technique used, because she knew what was appropriate when. I think the reason she is still so talked about today, is because of her absolute love of performing, right up until her death. She was sick, and dying, but she chose to continue performing until practically her last breathe. She wouldn't allow the crippling diseas she had to get her down, at least not without a fight. I think that's what people find so amazing, and that's a lot of what people will continue to remember about her. That and her kick-ass recordings, lol. :wink:

May I ask why you don't like the Elgar Cello concerto Moridin?

Kralias: Of course you can post here if you have a good recommendation pertaining to Classical music! :D

I'm not sure, really. I just...don't like it. I presume if I actually looked at the sheet music and gave it a go, I'd like it more, but for now, I'll stick to Haydn.

With that in mind, you're right; Du Pre's rendition of the Haydn Concerto is SOOOO different than Rostropovich or even Yo-yo Ma's. Her style is almost too free for me.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Moridin wrote:
    I'm not sure, really. I just...don't like it. I presume if I actually looked at the sheet music and gave it a go, I'd like it more, but for now, I'll stick to Haydn.

With that in mind, you're right; Du Pre's rendition of the Haydn Concerto is SOOOO different than Rostropovich or even Yo-yo Ma's. Her style is almost too free for me.

in regard to the Elgar: that seems to be one of those pieces that people either like or not.

You think her style is too free? Ahh, well, I guess it could be seen as such. TO each his own! :D

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Anyone else find Ravel's Bolero excruciatingly boring?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Poldy wrote:

I like it, actually. It's hypnotic. I wouldn't want to be the drummer though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

I like it, actually. It's hypnotic. I wouldn't want to be the drummer though.

I like it in theory and as background music, but I would hate to have it be part of a concert I was attending.

I just don't understand why so many people associate Ravel with it, when Tzigane and La Valse are sooooooo much better.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    BTW, I found out what that Mendelssohn concerto I was looking for.

It's his Violin Concerto in E minor, op.64 - specifically the final movement.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    What's this? I read through this entire thread and there's exactly one mention of Brahms? He's one of my favorites, what with pieces like:

Symphony 2/4
    Requiem
    Piano Concerto no. 2
    Violin Concerto
    All of his chamber pieces

I've been very into Bartok and Hindemith lately. My youth orchestra just did the Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphoses last year, which was excellent. Bartok's 3rd String Quartet is possibly one of my favorite quartets ever.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    setrajonas wrote:
    Bartok's 3rd String Quartet is possibly one of my favorite quartets ever.

I'm partial to the 4th, myself. :wink:

Elendil on
  • Options
    ErlkingErlking Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    setrajonas wrote:
    I've been very into Bartok and Hindemith lately.
    Oh God yes.

I hear all the time that Hindemith is criticized for being too mechanical and unemotional, but that's total BS. If you're not moved by the third movement of his sonata for clarinet and piano, you just may be a robot.

Erlking on