As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Move over SF4, shove off SF2:HD. There's a new SF in town. (ITT: nothing is sacred)

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
That's right. Nothing is sacred. Hell is reporting record lows, in fact, there's a snowball fight scheduled for next Tuesday, right next to where people who make good trailers for bad movies burn eternally.

Why is this happening? Simple:

STREET FIGHTER 2 ONLINE: MOUSE GENERATION

street-fighter-going-online-20080116061055517.jpg

Not bad enough yet? From Videogamesblogger.com:
As the Street Fighter Online: Mouse Generation name suggests, the game is built around mouse controls. You control all the action only with the mouse by moving it in the direction you want your character to move or jump, and the left and right buttons perform, respectively, execute punch and kick attacks. Special moves are performed by combinations of the buttons and mouse gestures.

IGN reports that Daletto will be using an item-based business model, where the game is free to download and play online, but you’ll have to hand over cash to purchase items in the form of character body parts. The game will initially start off with just four characters: Chun Li, Ryo, Hiko and Tiran. The last two are characters from the novels of Chinese author Jin Yong. Additional characters will be added gradually, but players are encouraged to create brand new characters by mixing and matching parts. It’s possible to get Chin Li’s head and torso attached to Zangief’s arms and Ryu’s legs.

There’s a deeper story to the character mixing and matching. Daletto has partnered with Kaiyodo, the toy maker response for the Revoltech brand of toys that feature swappable body parts. The characters in Street Fighter Online are meant to be Revoltech models fighting in a digital world. In the real world, Kaiyodo plans on releasing a Revoltech toy line based on the Street Fighter Online characters.

The game will include community features to keep players coming back. Plans are in place for teams, tournaments, and, eventually, fights featuring more than just two combatants. During gameplay, the game will have a new “cut-in” communication system, which lets players make text bubbles appear above their characters when performing special moves. Replays can be saved and exchanged between community members, who are free to place comments directly in the replay body.

Screenshots from IGN:
street-fighter-going-online-20080116061044143.jpg
street-fighter-going-online-20080116061045080.jpg
img_5193334.html
street-fighter-going-online-20080116061057611.jpg
street-fighter-going-online-20080116061051221.jpg

Even better: Video from gametrailers.

That's right, a horrible looking Street Fighter cash-in that looks like it plays nothing like any SF game, ever. And due to frothing demand, you get to control your character with a mouse. And if that wasn't enough awesome for one game, they've also crammed it into a Korean MMO money shop scheme, removed all the Street Fighter characters, and tied it into a line of Japanese action figures.

Also, you can spam people with pop-ups during the game! You can make it so that every time you do a super move the words "SUCK IT!" appear under a huge ... you get the idea.

What's next? Quake Online: Keyboard Generation. Aim and move the way you've always wanted to, with the keyboard! Load up your Carnage Account with real money and use it to buy extra damaging ammo from the helpful in-game shop. Or use special Carnage Cards, available in 13 card booster packs (1R, 4U, 9C), and enter the secret code obtained by looking at the top left corner of the card in a mirror to get special in-game power-ups, like Extra Quad (+15 seconds to Quad damage time, cannot be dropped).

Good times?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...the fuck?

gtrmp on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You Photoshop'd that cat in, right?

Right?

Someone hold me I'm scared.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is that Ryu's limbs and head with Chun Li's body

Oh dear Lord

Burnage on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh...huh.
    I'd play it.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought about making a post about this last week, but my left hand kept breaking fingers off my right hand in retaliation for what my brain was telling it to do.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So the reason the characters look so freakish is because they are basically meant to look like Revoltech toys, that have modular body parts?

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    Is that Ryu's limbs and head with Chun Li's body

Oh dear Lord

I'd hit it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, it's like Rag Doll Kung Fu, except the Street Fighter characters are official and not fan-made, right?

(and it's less fun, right?)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So, it's like Rag Doll Kung Fu, except the Street Fighter characters are official and not fan-made, right?
    Close. They're official and fan-made!

gtrmp on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What the hell, those new characters look like Soul Calibur characters

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    What the hell, those new characters look like Soul Calibur rejects.

Fixed.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how did Phoenix Games get the Street Fighter license

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    how did Phoenix Games get the Street Fighter license

I lol'd way to hard at this.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uh...huh.

I'd play it.

You can't hide your urges on this one.
    I'd play it, too...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Capcom agreed to this thing?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The one good thing about this is the real Revoltech toys. Those things are sweet, and from what I saw of the Street Fighter figures, they will also be sweet.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is this for real? There's really a toy company whose name is an amalgamation of revolting and technology? That's the part that sticks out the most, the rest seems even more...

There are no words.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That guy with scuba fins is so amazing.

Erchamion on
  • Options
    VranaVrana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't be the only that thinks this looks ridiculously fucking awesome.

..right?

...anyone else?

Okay then.

Vrana on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The videos at gametrailers remind me of the Vs games in terms of gameplay.

Turkey on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is...is it wrong that I actually find the concept interesting? :|

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not since Virtua Fighter 1 have we seen such pointy angles in a fighting game!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If it's free, I'll try it.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I checked IGN, and that cat was actually in the screenshot. Why is there a cat.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I know in the VS games, a portrait of your character(s) would pop up when you did a super combo. Maybe its the same thing, but you can upload your own images. If that's the case, I would definitely use images from icanhascheezburger.

Dirty on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    So I checked IGN, and that cat was actually in the screenshot. Why is there a cat.
    IGN photoshopped that in.

Page really misrepresented the game. It's a marketting ploy to sell more Revoltech toys, and it's an interesting premise to make a gesture-based fighting game. It's not exactly the best fighting game on the market, but it's ONLINE and it's FREE.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    B:L wrote: »

Page really misrepresented the game. It's a marketting ploy to sell more Revoltech toys, and it's an interesting premise to make a gesture-based fighting game. It's not exactly the best fighting game on the market, but it's ONLINE and it's FREE.

No, I get totally what it is. I still think it's dumb as hell, though. Thread title = joke. Whole thread is a joke, actually.

Also, they are planning regular online tourneys and rankings, so somebody must care.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It sickens me to ask this but;

When am I going to be able to try this?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It sickens me to ask this but;

When am I going to be able to try this?

"The game is expected to go into beta February or March, with full service coming in April. No word on a version for non-Japanese gamers."

sfoall4xl0.jpg

The Revoltech line of toys are actually quite nice and posable, despite the obvious aesthetic flaws.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, and uh. Somehow this wasn't done by a Korean dev?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I feel ill. The screen shot and description make me feel ill.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it looks pretty cool. This is something I could play on the computer for a few minutes once in a while without busting out a controller.

Saddler on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

This post is right up there next to my older brother telling me Santa wasn't real.

Dirty on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This looks and sounds too ludicrous to be real (or any good), but then again, I'll give it a shot if it's free, just to be able to voice my disgust over it all, afterwards.

Oh, on a side note, for all the 2D fighter afficionado's out there, it seems Battle Fantasia is coming to PS3/360 according to Famitsu.
    Was/is it any good?

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    A raptor!A raptor! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

To confort what little part your soul is still able to feel anything after you read about the game.

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A little late but...

WHAAA!?

whaaa.jpg

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sfoall4xl0.jpg

The Revoltech line of toys are actually quite nice and posable, despite the obvious aesthetic flaws.

When are the Street Fighter ones coming out? Or are they already out?

That Chun-Li looks mighty fine.

Igort on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    is capcom ok with this?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    What's next? Quake Online: Keyboard Generation. Aim and move the way you've always wanted to, with the keyboard! Load up your Carnage Account with real money and use it to buy extra damaging ammo from the helpful in-game shop. Or use special Carnage Cards, available in 13 card booster packs (1R, 4U, 9C), and enter the secret code obtained by looking at the top left corner of the card in a mirror to get special in-game power-ups, like Extra Quad (+15 seconds to Quad damage time, cannot be dropped).

Good times?

Quake 0 - Web Based Quake 3
    'nuff said

Xabora on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is this for real? There's really a toy company whose name is an amalgamation of revolting and technology? That's the part that sticks out the most, the rest seems even more...

There are no words.
    Actually it's an amalgamation of 'revolution' and 'technology'. Revolution both as in a revolution in figure creation, and as in all the joints...revolve a lot to be really posable. I guess.

Houk the Namebringer on