As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Backing up games...

dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
So, I've got a pretty old game that i would love to back up, however, it seems I am unable to do so.

I've tried with ImgBurn and PowerISO and both give the same error:

"the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

is this something that i can get past? with something special, or a certain program?

thanks for any help

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
dav3yb on

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Though it was discontinued, you might still be able to buy a copy of GamesXCopy. I used it years ago, it it worked like a charm.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Although you are treading shady territory, IMG burn should suit your needs. It sounds like you are having a problem external to the program. Make sure no other programs are trying to control your optical drive, and update its firmware.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Although you are treading shady territory, IMG burn should suit your needs. It sounds like you are having a problem external to the program. Make sure no other programs are trying to control your optical drive, and update its firmware.

I'll give that a shot (this afternoon), maybe even try on a different computer...

Also, its not like this game is sold anywhere else but ebay now, so i'd like to not have to buy a new copy

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

This man is totally right, it sounds like another program is having priority to your optical drive. Do you have anydvd or a related program installed?

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bill Nye wrote: »

This man is totally right, it sounds like another program is having priority to your optical drive. Do you have anydvd or a related program installed?

only thing i can think of off hand is poweriso (has a virtual device manager running), but thats really it...

just glancing over my processes list and it doesnt have anything out of the ordinary... unless my Logitech G15 software is somehow doing it, or possibly Punkbusters.

... i just tried it on one of my other computers, and ImgBurn gave me a L-EC Uncorrectable Error. also said failed to read sector 823.

i can install the game and play it just fine though.

...... i just tried to copy the 2nd disc... and it seems to do the exact same thing, cannot read sector 823 L-EC uncorrectable error.

dav3yb on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have you tried a non-copy-protected cd? That should at least narrow it down.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Bill Nye wrote: »

only thing i can think of off hand is poweriso (has a virtual device manager running), but thats really it...

just glancing over my processes list and it doesnt have anything out of the ordinary... unless my Logitech G15 software is somehow doing it, or possibly Punkbusters.

... i just tried it on one of my other computers, and ImgBurn gave me a L-EC Uncorrectable Error. also said failed to read sector 823.

i can install the game and play it just fine though.

...... i just tried to copy the 2nd disc... and it seems to do the exact same thing, cannot read sector 823 L-EC uncorrectable error.

It could very well be poweriso. Give it a try without that running, and also try it on a normal music CD as well. That should tell you more.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad