As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Backup Software (Time Machine for Windows?)

powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a good freeware (or cheaply purchased) backup software similar to OSX's Time Machine?

I've got a copy of Retrospect Backup Express but its an older version that came with a WD external HD and it doesn't support Vista. I pretty much want to keep a mirror of one of my internal partitions without having to recopy the whole drive anytime I add or change things.

powersurge on

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vista Business and Ultimate have shadow copies; automatically backed-up copies of files or folders that you can jump back to on a revision basis.

By my (limited) understanding, it's almost the exact same as Time Machine, minus the fancy UI.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Vista Business and Ultimate have shadow copies; automatically backed-up copies of files or folders that you can jump back to on a revision basis.

By my (limited) understanding, it's almost the exact same as Time Machine, minus the fancy UI.

Whoa whoa. Can anyone confirm this?

Fraz on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bummer all I got is Vista Home Premium.

powersurge on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Fraz wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »

Whoa whoa. Can anyone confirm this?

The link itself confirms it, but it's not exactly the same as time machine.

Shadow copies are created for files modified since the last restore point. All previous copies are of the file at the time of the restore point. This means you need to have System Protection turned on, as well as Automatic Restore Points.

I'm not sure how it handles things once the space allocated for restore points and shadow copies become full, so you might want to look into that. There's also no way (that I know of) to manually include/exclude folders or files from being included in restore points, so that's also something to look into.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been wanting to try this out for a while; if I get around to it soon, I'll post thoughts.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm bumping this, only, I need something for XP. Some type of free software that would let me keep keep backups of folders from two separate drives on a third drive.

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't have a positive recommendation, but I do have a negative one: don't use the Maxtor OneTouch Backup software that comes with their external disks. That POS gave me blue screens on my work PC until I uninstalled it ... now I am backing that system up manually. :-\

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg