As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The game of Fantasy Badgers

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I made up a first draft of my list, what do you think?

Linky

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    +2 Strength. Flammable targets are killed if they take a single wound. [45]

What. The. Fuck. 45 points for that?

Echo on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just take a mundane greatweapon. Unless you're playing against TK.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My thought was, But then I strike last. I would rather not. (plus I dont really need the points)

And because it's 1 handed weapon, doesn't that mean I get another attack if I use the Handweapon he comes with? (I dont need the shield)

But this is just first draft, I'm not starting on this army until the summer, so things will change.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In the Dwarf rules, it's explicitly stated that wielding a magic hand/great weapon means you can only use it in combat, and only with a shield if applicable. That kind of rules out the use of an extra hand weapon. Although, CD might be completely different, and so don't regard this as the final answer on the matter but rather as a guideline of what will probably be the case.

But that weapon is freaking insane already, as the only thing that Dwarfs have like it would be taking two Runes of Cleaving and a Rune of Fire for 45 points, but then it only counts as flaming attacks at Str 6. Apparently CD magic weapons are made of win.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    And because it's 1 handed weapon, doesn't that mean I get another attack if I use the Handweapon he comes with? (I dont need the shield)
    No. You can only use your magic weapon; nothing else, even if you have it. Unless you have a special rule like Konrad von Carstein...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alazull wrote: »
    Apparently CD magic weapons were made 10 years ago

Fixed :D

But yeah, I still have to think about that striking last bit. I'm a bit worried with my lack of a Ward save.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I realize that CD magic weapons were designed a long time ago, in a universe similar to the one you and I enjoy today, but also fundamentally different. A time when Lords tooled out in full kit could rout entire armies if used correctly.

That still doesn't change the fact that is one damn killy weapon.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Apparently CD magic weapons were made 10 years ago

Fixed :D

But yeah, I still have to think about that striking last bit. I'm a bit worried with my lack of a Ward save.

As a character with Mv3 and I4, you'll be recieving more charges than not, and striking last against nearly all enemy characters anyway. The flaming effect is so specialized that it's almost a non-issue against nearly all armies. You're basically paying 30some points for a greatweapon that doesn't automatically strike last, as the +2 strength is the only effect you'll actually use 95% of the time. There's no real point in taking a shield (Your magic armor doesn't allow the 1+ save to be improved any further), unless there are some magic shelds on the army list with really awesome effects aside from the save, so it doesn't much matter if your weapon is one handed or two.

And again, as an extremely slow moving model with a (for a lord) very mediocre I score, chances are you'll be striking last most of the time anyway.

Just seems to me that there must be a better weapon on the list than that.

I assume there must be some sort of wardsave item available.. Save the points from the sword, swap for mundane GW, and pick up something with a wardsave maybe?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, good point.

The only ward save available is a 5+ given by some armour, but then I'd be losing my 1+ (the ward armour is only a 4+)

There is that common 6+ ward item I could take.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tough call.

I'm not exactly arguing that the 1h weapon in question is a bad weapon per se, but that in the hands of a dwarf, it's slightly less stellar than it seems on the surface, due to low M and I. For a mounted model, or any character with more than 3 mv, the option to take a +2 str, non GW, 1handed weapon would be fantastic, as they'd be much more likely to strike first more often and make excellent use of it.

I dunno, is there any shields with fantastic effects for CDs? The armor from a shield is a throw-away with the 1+ armor, but a juicy effect might still make it worth taking.

The current kit you're considering is "nice", but not much better than simply a mundane GW. You might occasionally strike first in protracted combats with slower infantry like orcs, saurus, other dwarfs, etc. You'll almost always be going last regardless of GW against other characters, or when you take a charge -- which as a dwarf is most of the time.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have to agree with Erandus, as I have kitted out my Dwarf Lord because I know that in very few situation will he be able to strike first, so taking a Great Weapon and focusing my runic item points into more defensive effects seems to be a better option.

Is there a list you could link to that has all of the magic weapons/armor/items available for CD?

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    List is on the GW web site here.

And as I think about it more, you guys are very right. Erandus' point of it being better on a mounted model cemented it, since there are some really cool mounts you can get for a Chaos Dwarf Lord (The Taurus and Lammasu) and I think thats really what that weapon is for. I'll re-visit my list tonight and see what I can do, maybe that extra 30 pts can be used somewhere else in the list.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It'd totally rock shit on a mounted dwarf with a decent charge range. Then you give him the 4+ armor/5+ ward suit of magic armor, and then enchanted shield, and you've got a dwarf who has str 6 attacks while mounted, with a 2+ armor 5+ ward.

That's totally badass. :D

Edit: Oh shit, the great taurus flies and has 4 str 5 attacks. :D

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know if there's a new model for Azhag in the pipeline? I remember there were some pics floating about a year back, but that may have been a conversion. If so they should totally hire that guy, because it was that awesome.

Echo on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    It'd totally rock shit on a mounted dwarf with a decent charge range. Then you give him the 4+ armor/5+ ward suit of magic armor, and then enchanted shield, and you've got a dwarf who has str 6 attacks while mounted, with a 2+ armor 5+ ward.

That's totally badass. :D

Edit: Oh shit, the great taurus flies and has 4 str 5 attacks. :D

Except you can't have two different magic armours, so no ward-y heavy armour with the Enchanted Shield.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Even a regular shield would be pretty good with that mounted set-up. Treemen beware.

Alazull on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a new model for Azhag in the pipeline? I remember there were some pics floating about a year back, but that may have been a conversion. If so they should totally hire that guy, because it was that awesome.

This one?

unreleasedgiantwyvernreem5.jpg

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    O____O

-_____-

O____O

Estilo on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah.

Supposedly cancelled because they couldn't get it to be a reasonable metal kit. Too big, heavy, difficult, and expensive. Or something.

I hope to see a Forge World release at some point.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    *edit for dumb sentence*

I am inspired

Estilo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hah. Found this quote I saved from ages ago:
    Seriously, Orks are the best thing ever. You don't play Orks to win games, you play Orks to have the most fucking fun on the battlefield and go out in a hail of bullets and malfunctioning machines.

They're even more fun in Fantasy. A wave of goblins charging your front ranks, they throw out a little gobbo dude super high on mushrooms swinging a giant fucking heavy steel ball and OH SHIT HE'S GOING THE WRONG WAY HE JUST TOOK OUT MY ENTIRE FRONT LINE.

And don't get me fucking started on the goddamned Goblin Catapult. Launching a fucking greenskin a billion feet into the air, and the little stoned goober tied to some leather makeshift wings gets to correct his course and WHAM SON OF A BITCH HE JUST TOOK OUT MY HQ ON THE FIRST TURN.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Extremely similar things can be said of Skaven. I wish more armies had options for stuff like that, but I know it's fluffy for mainly goblin and skaven technology to be so hilariously unpredictable.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They both definitely sound like fun. If it weren't for the fact it would take a lot of money to get started on those armies that way I would want to, I would probably play both along with my Dwarfs.

At the same time, the large amounts of painting required, and figuring out how to get 30 clanrats to actually fit on the same tray with tails attached is pretty daunting.

Alazull on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Free international shipping! Hot damn, my hobby is now looking at Maelstrom Games.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    They both definitely sound like fun. If it weren't for the fact it would take a lot of money to get started on those armies

Let's see here... one box of clanrats, $55nz... one battalion set, $170nz, and mone more clanrats set at $55nz... one warlord figure at $22, one ratling gun at $22...

$324 and counting :o
    and figuring out how to get 30 clanrats to actually fit on the same tray with tails attached is pretty daunting.

Understatement. :lol:

Estilo on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know what the best thing about Warhammer is? The truly unbelievable against the odds stories of heroism. Last night, I played a 1.5k game against Orcs. I ended up winning quite convincingly, but neither of us had played seriously for months, so tactical mistakes were made on both sides. My Lion Chariot never actually got to fight. he was deathly scared of it, so Fled from a couple of combined charges. On turn 5 it got lucky and ran down a unit of Orcs with attached shaman when they tried to flee. My Swordmasters only got 2 rounds of combat. In round 5, they charged Black Orcs, killed 6 and ran them down. They overran into another mob of Boyz, but with only 2 SMs in contact, they failed to kill enough to win the combat and ended the game locked in combat. My Silver Helms and Shadow Warrior performed to their usual below par standard. Total kills: 1 Fanatic, 3 Night Goblins and 3 Orcs between them. Both units fled, and failed to rally, heading straight off the table. My Archers and Bolt throwers combined managed to panic several Orc units, even making 1 flee from the table.
    The true heroics came on behalf of my Spearmen accompanied by my general, with my Mage in support. In the centre of the battlefield, they were facing A big unit of Black Orcs, some Night Gobbos and another unit of Boyz, which was panicked before they could enter the battle.
    I conclude that my only chance is to break the Black Orcs, before the Goblins can flank me, so Chaaaarge!
    Slash! Stab! The combat was entirely uneventful. The 2 champions fought a challenge, mine only surviving thanks to the Shield of Saphery cast on the unit (Remember this, it will be important later). My general managed to wound his and thanks to that and static combat res, I won by 3. With the Orcs testing on a 5, I thought my gambit had payed off.
    He rolls a 4. Bugger.
    His turn, Goblins pass their fear check and pile into the side. His netters manage to net me, so I'm looking increasingly stuffed. Things get off to a poor start. Trying to get some easy combat res, I pour as many attacks as I can onto the goblins. Nothing, not a single wound. Next comes the Challenge. In an entirely unexpected turn of events, my Champion kills his! Huzzah! A small victory! They My general hefts his Chracen Axe, and cleaves the Black Orc Warboss in twain! A bigger Huzzah! At this stage I'm feeling a lot better. Honour has been satisfied, even if I'm going to get pounded. Then, at strength 2, my Spearmen cause three wounds on the Black Orcs. 2 fail their saves. I believe at this point I have a huge grin on my face. Finally, his solitary Black Orc and 5 Goblins get to attack back. They cause a few wounds, but, with my 5/6+ save and the 5+ ward, not a single elf falls. I end up winning by 3 points and both enemy units break and flee. Sure I don't manage to catch either, but I'm perfectly happy.

At the end of the game I apologised for being such a jammy git.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ah, crap. I didn't keep a good record of my battle versus Skaven. Needless to say, I suffered a minor defeat, much mitigated by the fact Skaven managed to blow themselves up quite often.

I'll try to make a better report of my game versus Lizardmen tomorrow at the Bunker.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I need some advice guys.

We're having a Wizard battle at my local store this afternoon. We can only bring a hero level Wizard and I think we're all fighting the highest level Vampire Caster.

I have the following,
    skinkvc1.jpgnurglely7.jpg

as well as a bag of the other classic Chaos Sorcerers, and I can probably whip up a Dwarf of Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer before it starts. I kinda suck at making these sorts of things, anyone help?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    garicgaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We're having a Wizard battle at my local store this afternoon. We can only bring a hero level Wizard and I think we're all fighting the highest level Vampire Caster.

take a lvl 2 scouting skink priest with the blodd statuette of spite :P pick a enemy wizard and that wizard then takes a toughness test or loses a wound, then has to take another and so on and so forth. its a one shot set up though:x

garic on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, Can I combine that with a Bane head to double all wounds?

My other thought is a Exalted Champion with Mark of Tzeentch and a Power Familiar, just hope for the best.

Or I could try and pass this off as a Nurgle Sorcerer on a chariot with a Power Familiar :P
    nurgle1ym1.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Classic Chaos Sorcerer is the way to go.
    A Tzeentch sorcerer would probably wade through a lot of stuff however.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    garicgaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    An exhalted champ of tzeentch on a chariot would just make people cry....

garic on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Everyone, I need some advice.

I have the opportunity to purchase the following Ogre Kingdoms stuff for $75 (US):
    18 bulls (half are assembled with the hand weapon shield thingy)
    9+ maneaters
    4 leadbelchers
    3 yhetees
    several characters, including the Greasus Goldtooth model, a tyrant or two, a hunter and a butcher
    a handful of various gnoblars

My questions to the combined wisdom of the Warhammer thread are these:

a) is this a good deal or what? (mostly rhetorical, but please stop me if you think it's not)
    b) what other things would I need to consider getting to flesh out a proper OK army, if any?

I only have until tomorrow to decide on this, so please advise away.

*edited to clarify currency

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Simple answer: Yes
    Longer answer: Very yes. Thats essentially a complete army for a rather nice price. The only other stuff you could really want for are Gnoblars, both normal and of the Trapper variety, and maybe a gorger.

So yeah. Go for it.

Asher on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll give you $100 for it >.>

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yus! Tonight I won my first game against dwarves! And not just a win - a massacre. 500pts vs 1300+ :D

I shot them midgets down like DOGS!

LIKE MIDGET DOGS!

Can I get a Hai5 from my skittering brethren?! :twisted:

Sharp101: Did you paint that? It's sex.

Estilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    High 5!

Killing Dwarfs feels good doesn't it? Tells us more about your crushing victory over the filthy hairy animals.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I can't quite remember his army list. I'm only just up to speed on the skaven rules o_O

We played 1200pts and he used something like this...

- three units of warriors (mixed - not sure what they all were)
    - general with all kinds of nasty business attached
    - two cannons with nasty runes that made them magic? and one of them had re-roll on a misfire (saved his skin three times)
    - army banner bearer (units within x inches re-roll failed break tests, i think?)
    - unit of 15 thunderers
    - one slayer

and my list

- 2 x 25 clanrats/musician/bearer
    - 2 x 30 slaves
    - 2 x 15 nightrunners
    - 1 x 30 plague monks with banner of burning hatred
    - 10 x jezzails
    - 2 x ratling guns
    - chieftain as general
    - plague priest with warpstone amulet and plague censer

please excuse my writing - it's almost 1am and I should be in bed :lol:

I positioned the jezzails in the middle of my deployment line and had them flanked by the clan rats and ratling guns. The slaves and night runners occupied the right hand side of the field while the plague monks took up flanking duties on the left.

Two units of dwarven warriors teamed up in the middle opposite the jezzails, and the rest of his forces were deployed on my right, directly opposite the slaves and nightrunners.

I rolled for first turn and immediately marched a unit of nightrunners down the right hand edge of the field, straight towards his thunderers. I moved the rest of my force into a rough pyramid shape. The two clanrat units converged on the middle of the field and were screened by the slaves and nightrunners on their right. The ratling guns flanked the clanrats units, tho slightly in front. The general hid behind them. The clanrats, ratlings, and general ended up staying there for the rest of the match.

Not much else happened that turn. The jezzails scored two wounds against one of his cannons before the dwarves moved forwards in a line. The slayer moved to block the nightrunners advancing on the thunderers.

Things progressed slowly for the next two turns. We exchanged shots and he eventually broke a unit of slaves and nightrunners. The warriors were forced to edge towards the clanrats while remaining out of range. The plague monks (led by the priest) moved unmolested toward their flank.

As the game progressed my units of slaves and nightrunners took a beating, but succeeded in drawing out his forces while catching a few cannonballs. The plague monks engaged the warriors on the left while the central units of dwarves fumbled for options. The dwarven general was forced to hide from the ratlings who were dominating the centre of the table. :lol:

The late stages of the game involved him mopping up my fodder on the right while my monks and priest whittled down his forces on the left. The dwarven warriors had no choice but to advance on the clanrats and were mowed down by both ratlings and the jezzails and eventually fled past the army banner bearer. ( and now he's fleeing too - the general is still hiding behind a rock) I then got lucky when the dwarven unit engaging the monks broke and fled past the army banner bearer (who was still fleeing) I rolled 10' for the chase and mowed them both down. This move took them into LOS for a potential raping from the thunderers, but he rolled seven 1s from ten dice and managed one wound O_o

Luckily for me his cannons and slayer were a non-event. Doubly lucky was the time I rolled one, three, and three for a ratling gun that blindly pumped all the shots into its parent unit BUT ONLY CAUSED ONE WOUND *teary eyes*

I ended up losing one of the slave units, all the nightrunners, and half the monks. The clanrats stood firm just shy of the centreline and suffered minor casualties. Three jezzails suicided, and a stray cannonball hit the general, causing one wound only 8-)

The remaining dwarven army consisted of the 15 thunderes, the slayer, one cannon and team, the general, and a 'unit' consisting of one warrior (lol)

Estilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Estilo wrote: »
    Sharp101: Did you paint that? It's sex.

Yeah, thats from my Nurgle Mortal Army.

nurglenp1.jpg

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.